As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    What time did one of those pop up? I looked last night for the faction assault and didnt see one or the timer they said would countdown to the next one.

On NA, there was one in Nazmir last night and one in Stormsong this morning that should still be going on.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Found my second bug. Can't advance the dark shore questline because the enemy NPC "Sira Moonwarden" is bugged and gets to 1HP and won't die. Invincible undying mob. There are probably as many as 60 people here waiting for her to reset, but there are some jackasses, whether they are intentionally griefing or not, are griefing all of us by now allowing her to reset and despawn.

Good patch.

Thats not a bug...talk to Nathanos

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    30% bonus xp for warmode if I turned it on.

No thanks!

Are you Alliance? Are they trying to get Alliance to turn on War Mode?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Found my second bug. Can't advance the dark shore questline because the enemy NPC "Sira Moonwarden" is bugged and gets to 1HP and won't die. Invincible undying mob. There are probably as many as 60 people here waiting for her to reset, but there are some jackasses, whether they are intentionally griefing or not, are griefing all of us by now allowing her to reset and despawn.

Good patch.

I talked to Nathanos to get the quest. He sent me down the beach to find a dead ranger. I get to her, there's an option to interact with the body so I do that. It normally would have spawned the NPC named Sira Moonwarden, but she was already spawned from someone else doing the quest at the same time. Or in this case gobs of other people doing the quest. Sira Moonwarden was there, right next to the body that I was supposed to interact with on the beach, she had 1 HP and was unkillable.

The quest tracker says "Defeat Sira Moonwarden 0/1"

You're telling me that I need to go back and talk to Nathanos again without defeating Sira Moonwarden?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Nobody wrote: »
    The one in Val’sharah where you go through the ghost school and kill the headmistress for the key I think.

Okay so two nights ago I just did a questline in Azsuna where I went through a ghost school and killed a headmistress for a key, but she was behind a force field that didn't come down until I did the quests, is that the one?

EDIT: fucked up the name of the zone

Thawmus on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    No because nathanos is standing right next to you and that whole part is exposition you need to talk to him to start.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    30% bonus xp for warmode if I turned it on.

No thanks!

Are you Alliance? Are they trying to get Alliance to turn on War Mode?

Ya they boosted the underpopulated faction to 30% boost to draw more people in. Considering a 110 can hold their own against a 120 thats pretty nice. Should make my ally alts easier to level. The 100 conquest for just tagging people in a big fight sounds cool too. I never saw horde on the ones i leveled already anyway.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's supposed to scale depending on how out of whack it is. 20% is normal for under populated, 30% is what they gave me, I'm wondering what the max is jesus.

All that says to me is "you're absolutely going to get fucking rocked if you turn this on and that 30% is probably not going to make up for shit" because that has been my experience leveling on any PvP server I've ever played on.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Good patch.

I talked to Nathanos to get the quest. He sent me down the beach to find a dead ranger. I get to her, there's an option to interact with the body so I do that. It normally would have spawned the NPC named Sira Moonwarden, but she was already spawned from someone else doing the quest at the same time. Or in this case gobs of other people doing the quest. Sira Moonwarden was there, right next to the body that I was supposed to interact with on the beach, she had 1 HP and was unkillable.

You're telling me that I need to go back and talk to Nathanos again without defeating Sira Moonwarden?

So heres what happened to me:

Go to beach, run into Sira Moonwarden, fight her to 1 HP, she takes a knee, Nathanos shows up and says to finisher her, then another NPC shows up and a fight starts. My guess is that someone just didn't finish her and move on so it never spawned a new one?

• Options
    It's supposed to scale depending on how out of whack it is. 20% is normal for under populated, 30% is what they gave me, I'm wondering what the max is jesus.

All that says to me is "you're absolutely going to get fucking rocked if you turn this on and that 30% is probably not going to make up for shit" because that has been my experience leveling on any PvP server I've ever played on.

Depends on how quickly that scales. If it takes 2 hours and then goes back to 10%, yeah, I'd leave it off. If it stays that way for several weeks/a month, turn that shit on, you'll probably just get to watch a bloodbath.

• Options

Good patch.

So heres what happened to me:

Go to beach, run into Sira Moonwarden, fight her to 1 HP, she takes a knee, Nathanos shows up and says to finisher her, then another NPC shows up and a fight starts. My guess is that someone just didn't finish her and move on so it never spawned a new one?

Yeah, she never took a knee, and Nathanos never showed up.

• Options

Depends on how quickly that scales. If it takes 2 hours and then goes back to 10%, yeah, I'd leave it off. If it stays that way for several weeks/a month, turn that shit on, you'll probably just get to watch a bloodbath.

From what I can tell it stays that way until enough people turn warmode on.

But I don't like getting ganked and corpse camped for an hour + either.

The other day at the end of the darkmoon fair the horde camped all the quest hubs until 4 am before logging off, so the whole "I've never experienced a bad pvp situation that didn't get better when I rezzed" just doesn't happen on the servers I play on I guess.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The one in Val’sharah where you go through the ghost school and kill the headmistress for the key I think.

Okay so two nights ago I just did a questline in Azsuna where I went through a ghost school and killed a headmistress for a key, but she was behind a force field that didn't come down until I did the quests, is that the one?

EDIT: fucked up the name of the zone

Yeah that’s it, sorry, I’ve always flipped the name on those two zones for some reason.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Page 99, we know the drill by now.

Mill, will you be creating a new thread ?

• Options
    Tonight my guild will be finishing our Uldir Achievement run that we started last week. I'm actually pretty excited to get the rideable blood crawg. I think it will be thematically appropriate for my Blood DK.

Two bosses left: Mythrax and Ghuun.

Ghuun sounds pretty straightforward and easy, and I don't foresee any issues, other than maybe a wipe or two while the toss/catch teams figure out their rhythm. However, Mythrax's achievement sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'm assuming that this is really just a DPS race in disguise. The faster you can down Mythrax the less amount of time for errors and picking up the wrong orbs.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Sira was bugged last night. Got hotfixed, I believe. Worked when I went back to her later.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tonight my guild will be finishing our Uldir Achievement run that we started last week. I'm actually pretty excited to get the rideable blood crawg. I think it will be thematically appropriate for my Blood DK.

Two bosses left: Mythrax and Ghuun.

Ghuun sounds pretty straightforward and easy, and I don't foresee any issues, other than maybe a wipe or two while the toss/catch teams figure out their rhythm. However, Mythrax's achievement sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'm assuming that this is really just a DPS race in disguise. The faster you can down Mythrax the less amount of time for errors and picking up the wrong orbs.

We did it a couple of weeks ago. All bosses leading up to the hole were 1 pull (well 2 for Taloc because we didn't realize the first orb is that close). Then like 2+ hours on Mythrax. Then 2 or 3 pulls on Ghuun because a couple of people screwed up orbs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

The other day at the end of the darkmoon fair the horde camped all the quest hubs until 4 am before logging off, so the whole "I've never experienced a bad pvp situation that didn't get better when I rezzed" just doesn't happen on the servers I play on I guess.

Part of the problem is the same as how you deal with an aggressive dog. If you run it will chase you, but if you turn to fight it and present a threat theyll back down. Most people just helplessly flail around or just stupidly try to run from something like a demon hunter or feral druid there is no way they can get away from. Just fight back and kill them and then people dont screw with you anymore. You res at like 80% health now so it isnt like youre mostly dead. Usually if someone is camping you you can just run back and kill them because all their cooldowns are down.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Part of the problem is the same as how you deal with an aggressive dog. If you run it will chase you, but if you turn to fight it and present a threat theyll back down. Most people just helplessly flail around or just stupidly try to run from something like a demon hunter or feral druid there is no way they can get away from. Just fight back and kill them and then people dont screw with you anymore. You res at like 80% health now so it isnt like youre mostly dead. Usually if someone is camping you you can just run back and kill them because all their cooldowns are down.

That's not really how it works, in my experience. 120s with War Mode on generally do it for their "Call to Arms" weekly. They're more than happy to kill you 10 times for the quest while letting /1 know where you are so that everyone else on their size in the zone can come and farm you for quest kills, too.

• Options
    In my situation: there's also not much a level 30 with warmode on can do to a level 120.

Especially when they're bored, suck at PVP, and decide to camp you for several hours.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    In my situation: there's also not much a level 30 with warmode on can do to a level 120.

Especially when they're bored, suck at PVP, and decide to camp you for several hours.

That's not true. Unless they're camping you where the ghost rezzer is, it's impossible to be camped for several hours. And even then, you can just walk to a different ghost.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »

That's not true. Unless they're camping you where the ghost rezzer is, it's impossible to be camped for several hours. And even then, you can just walk to a different ghost.

It's only impossible if you log out or never leave a safe spot (like tucked in a corner of stormwind).

I never said it was a single horde, though. And no, walking to a ghost just gives you rez sickness, taking you out of the game for 10 minutes while they hop on their flying mount and fly around killing all the lowbies in the area, and the quest NPCs.

Sometimes I wonder if y'all are even playing the same game I am because PvP was an exercise in frustration like this at least 5 or 6 nights out of 7.

bowen on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    RIP Wowpedia

Fandom is a cancer that needs to go away...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Okay, granting you that "several hours" is likely hyperbole...

They're always camping you where the ghost rezzer is. Camping graveyards is the #1 first thing people do when they're griefing low level players. It's been that way on PvP servers forever, War Mode's not going to make that any different.

And walking to a different ghost requires even more time getting there, and then another 10 minutes of waiting before you can start doing something again. You also have to have a certain amount of personal experience with doing this sort of thing, which not everyone does. They see buttons pop up on their screen as they're walking away from that ghost and they think, "Uh oh, I'm about to get in trouble for doing this." And then, if the ganker's really tenacious, and has been doing this for a while, they're going to be at the next logical graveyard for you to run to, when you haven't shown up for a while. And since they're using a mount and you're running on foot, they do catch up.

You're either being dishonest or ignorant about the WoW PvP experience if you're not willing to even acknowledge that hunting and graveyard camping low level players is a thing that happens. I largely agree with you on the high points of world PvP in WoW, but man, the experience bowen is describing existed for the ≤4 years I played on PvP servers. It's why bodyguard rackets and security guilds even started on PvP servers.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Gotta say I'm really impressed by the performance gains with DX12. Pre-8.1 I had to explicitly stay in DX11 because 12 was so bad, but now it's flatly better in all ways.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm really impressed by the performance gains with DX12. Pre-8.1 I had to explicitly stay in DX11 because 12 was so bad, but now it's flatly better in all ways.

I was solidly 70-90 FPS for our entire raid last night, previously would have been lucky with 40.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So how are Prot Warriors doing at end game? I'm at a place where I can decide to move in to the end game as a Prot Warrior, Prot Paladin or Guardian Druid. My preference is Warrior, it's what I've tanked as since TBC...but if they are being overlooked for end game content I'll go with one of the others.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So how are Prot Warriors doing at end game? I'm at a place where I can decide to move in to the end game as a Prot Warrior, Prot Paladin or Guardian Druid. My preference is Warrior, it's what I've tanked as since TBC...but if they are being overlooked for end game content I'll go with one of the others.

of the three you described, they're probably in the strongest place of the three. They got some very badly needed upgrades and rotational changes in 8.1 this week that dramatically improved their ability to tank difficult content.

Prot Paladin comes in a pretty close second, in general they're a little bit less sturdy than a warrior but bring a lot more group utility, in the form of blessings and off healing.

unfortunately for druids they come in dead last and I really can't recommend them at all. Along with vengeance demon hunter they're in a place at the moment where they really have no unique strengths to bring to a group and the things they do well, another tank does better.

A guardian druid is great at being a meat shield that can just take hits and be healed in a smooth way, but monks do the exact same thing only better.

All of that out of the way, tank balance is close enough that if you are exceptionally better at one of the specs than the other, you'll still probably perform better. Someone who is very very good at demon hunter will probably outperform what they would accomplish on a Paladin, for example, despite paladins being clearly the better tank class overall.

Tl;dr it sounds like you want to play warrior anyway, so just do that, it's one of the stronger tanks and if you like it sounds like a perfect fit

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    DPS warriors are in a great place. Prot is considered to be worse than the other tank options.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular

Mythrax was the biggest pain for us as well. We wiped a lot before a bunch of melee switched out to ranged/heals and then we got it down.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    DPS warriors are in a great place. Prot is considered to be worse than the other tank options.

Your info is out of date, at least as warrior compares to the other two options that he is considering.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgAqoTGeM0I

Showed up on Blizzard Korea's YouTube channel very briefly, and was quickly yanked.

Will likely be a cash shop mount.

• Options
    Completed Glory of the Uldir Raider tonight. Took maybe 4 or 5 wipes on Mythrax, but it wasn't as terrible as I had feared. Ghuun took a couple wipes while people acclimated to their ball duties, but it was actually pretty easy.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So I know this is a loaded question, but if you were unsubbed after BFA release, would you come back for 8.1 (either now or when the raid comes)? I probably will, but man, I don't remember a time even new content was so savaged online. It's a step up even from the normal wailing and teeth gnashing, so it's really hard to tell if they dropped a dud or people are just perma-raged.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I see nothing in 8.1 that makes me want to reactivate my sub. Classes are still boring and oversimplified, azerite is still bad, no class sets or interesting items, and the new content is yet more warfronts and islands, which aren't interesting or worthwhile.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Yup, unsubbed pretty early on in the expansion, and was just looking through patch notes, etc, for 8.1 and not tempted at all to resubscribe. Honestly at this point unless they surprise me with something awesome or a complete redesign of a few gameplay mechanics that they seem pretty set on keeping the way they are, I probably won't be back until flying is able to be fully unlocked at the very least.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    8.1 was essentially "whoops we fucked up alts, sorry, here's a patch" from what I can see.

bowen on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    So I know this is a loaded question, but if you were unsubbed after BFA release, would you come back for 8.1 (either now or when the raid comes)? I probably will, but man, I don't remember a time even new content was so savaged online. It's a step up even from the normal wailing and teeth gnashing, so it's really hard to tell if they dropped a dud or people are just perma-raged.

No, I would not. I might reconsider after the raid is released, but as it stands so far, in terms of "new" content to experience you have:
    1. Darkshore warfront, plus I think 3 introductory quests (maybe 3 for both sides?)
    2. Incursions (basically new WQs and a mini-scenario after like Legion invasions)
    3. Three more parts to the war campaign (the 4th part is locked behind the new raid)

Everything else is cosmetics, tweaks, QoL changes (not always for the better), etc., nothing I'd consider worthy of a sub if you weren't already subbed.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    oh hey demo is reportedly best lock spec now? If I didn't want to play shaman instead I would be tickled pink.

Also if I could find the time to play at all.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Honestly I’m still subbed for now, but unless something really insane happens I’m going to unsub when the raid tier opens. I’ve disliked everything for this expansion except the Zandalari, and they alone aren’t enough to keep me subbed.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I was suckered in by the boat, so I'm subbed for a while yet. I've been on a break for a few weeks though, and I logged in a bit to check things out. The new warfront was different, but is still a warfront. I love the new kitty mount on that vendor but I'm skeptical I'll have the stomach to farm it.

Also tried leveling my mid-60s warlock a bit, but ... meh.

Just a big patch of meh. No significant changes that were enough to make me want to play the classes I'd leveled to 120 (despite two being the classes/specs that were promised a rework in 8.1). I'm just not seeing the fun.

This discussion has been closed.