As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I tried to watch the video, but it's so infuriating when he interrupts Pelosi "excuse me, that's not what I think" then just starts talking over her. Manners man! Come on!

This is what men do to women on the regular

I had an instant flashback to a recent conversation with older male opposing counsel using my first name while condescending to me on the phone

My younger female colleague had an older male opposing counsel literally pat her on the head once

Welcome to women's lives...

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I tried to watch the video, but it's so infuriating when he interrupts Pelosi "excuse me, that's not what I think" then just starts talking over her. Manners man! Come on!

I had an instant flashback to a recent conversation with older male opposing counsel using my first name while condescending to me on the phone

My younger female colleague had an older male opposing counsel literally pat her on the head once

It was like super blatant.

He kept interrupting Pelosi, but totally stops everything cause it kinda looked like Schumer wanted to say something.

Like it almost seems purposeful.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

He kept interrupting Pelosi, but totally stops everything cause it kinda looked like Schumer wanted to say something.

Sometimes if it looks like a duck...

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Good Lord, Pelosi and Schumer played Trump like a complete asshole. Schumer is tool, but he clearly wanted a NY Post shout out.

Has anyone done any research on this claim that we apparently captured ten terrorists in the 'recent period of time'?

This just gives me flashbacks about how everyone was gawking about how Hillary played Trump during that first debate with bringing up Alicia Machado, but it didn't wind up doing squat, really.

the difference is Pelosi's team won the election already...

override367 on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

He's been trying to denigrate her since the primaries (Pocahontas jokes en mass) partly for the reasons you've listed but also because the republicans have been shitting on her for about as long as they have hillary.

Also, He's probably just now realizing that Nancy has zero intention of spinelessly capitulating to him like Paul Ryan did.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

Sometimes if it looks like a duck...

Its not intentional. He's too dumb for that.
    It's simply that he hasn't respected women his whole life and treats them like things.

He's not being smart or cunning about anything, he's just a Fucking asshole.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Just watched the video. Pelosi and Schumer baited him so hard.

It was infuriating watching him talk over Pelosi constantly, I can't imagine how difficult it is for her to be effective in an environment like that. I guess it says a lot about how good she is at this.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Nancy Pelosi is 78 years old. She could probably write an encyclopedia on patronizing old men.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nancy Pelosi is 78 years old. She could probably write an encyclopedia on patronizing old men.

Listening to stories from the older stateswomen in the Senate and the House will boil your blood on how they have been treated.

The women who came first and the women who have gained power first are twice as amazing as any man with a similar level of power at least. And probably three times as tough.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It has nothing to do with being smart. He's just treating Pelosi the same way he has most likely treated women his whole life. They're in a big important meeting and the women should know when to keep quiet when the men are talking. It 100% has to do with him being an asshole and nothing to do with any cunning plan or whatever. The way he treated Pelosi is textbook for how men have always treated women they view as rising above their position.

They way Pelosi was able to get her points in despite all of that bs shows exactly why she deserves to be the Speaker once the new congress takes over. She showed how she can handle that misogynistic crap and still run circles around him.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

It was infuriating watching him talk over Pelosi constantly, I can't imagine how difficult it is for her to be effective in an environment like that. I guess it says a lot about how good she is at this.

Trump has to be remarkably easy to bait.

Just imply he’s weak or foolish and he’ll bend over backwards to prove he isn’t.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    The pictures coming out of the others from the White House in the room they tell the story of what happened almost better than the watching the actual event.

E65FW7X5OUI6RIL6CYVXCLUPYI.jpg

Also I imagine this was taken when Kelly was told he might have to stay on a bit longer.
    U4A44LH5OQI6RIL6CYVXCLUPYI.jpg

So far outside of Kennedy I am not seeing a lot of verbal defenses or reactions from the Republicans. McConnell responses was basically, "Whelp I wish he didn't just do that."

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Trump has to be remarkably easy to bait.

Just imply he’s weak or foolish and he’ll bend over backwards to prove he isn’t.

And in the attempt, prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Even ol' Honest Abe's expression is priceless.

Edit: Abraham Lincoln - The OG Jim-face??

Cristoval on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Kushner just... oof. That dude constantly looks like he's missing some elemental part of being a human. As though someone designed him a human costume, but forgot the bit that makes all of us go "they, there's another human with human emotions and feelings!"

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Kushner just... oof. That dude constantly looks like he's missing some elemental part of being a human. As though someone designed him a human costume, but forgot the bit that makes all of us go "they, there's another human with human emotions and feelings!"
    2815022-2791614557-10652.jpg
    Mazzyx wrote: »

So far outside of Kennedy I am not seeing a lot of verbal defenses or reactions from the Republicans. McConnell responses was basically, "Whelp I wish he didn't just do that."

Trumps left him with no room to negotiate on an issue where the dems won't cave and this can potentially bite his coterie in the ass since hey check it out: Trump might be insane enough to think he's got the next election on lock but it's a bit more dicey in the senate what with how they barely have a majority at the best of times.

Like, mitch might actually nut up and oppose the president on this one.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I planned a vacation under the assumption that the govt was going to shut down?

The last big one (under Obama) I cancelled a domestic vacation because of one so it balances out.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The pictures coming out of the others from the White House in the room they tell the story of what happened almost better than the watching the actual event.

E65FW7X5OUI6RIL6CYVXCLUPYI.jpg

Also I imagine this was taken when Kelly was told he might have to stay on a bit longer.
    U4A44LH5OQI6RIL6CYVXCLUPYI.jpg

This is like chicken soup for my soul.

Look at what ye have wrought. Look and despair.

Ivanka has got a look halfway between "Too much botox" and "Oh, papa!"

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Kushner's just standing there all "Yeah, this is just business as usual. Seems normal to me." President Daddy is having a tantrum but that's just how the world works, right?

Kushner and Pence are both highly qualified to be their own wax dummy in Madame Tussaud's.

Kelly is maybe just a little bit TOO expressive. "Two more weeks. Two more weeks. I can do two more weeks"

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

"Hello, my name is Kushner, I'm the android sent by Cyberlife."

Man, these meetings are only gonna get more fun when Pelosi actually has leverage over Trump in a few weeks.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ilpala wrote: »

"Hello, my name is Kushner, I'm the android sent by Cyberlife."

Man, these meetings are only gonna get more fun when Pelosi actually has leverage over Trump in a few weeks.

I can't wait until they put out his financials, I'm hoping he just breaks

override367 on
    On the one hand I absolutely love seeing Trump get riled up and worked over like a horse but on the other hand I'm a bit worried. Dude is a trapped, idiot, rat and getting increasingly erratic and vicious. He just came out on TV and said he wanted to shut down the government if he doesn't get the completely unrealistic and absurd thing he wants. Hes not going to come to heel when the Dems take over in the house and start putting the heat on him. He's going to get even worse.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    On the one hand I absolutely love seeing Trump get riled up and worked over like a horse but on the other hand I'm a bit worried. Dude is a trapped, idiot, rat and getting increasingly erratic and vicious. He just came out on TV and said he wanted to shut down the government if he doesn't get the completely unrealistic and absurd thing he wants. Hes not going to come to heel when the Dems take over in the house and start putting the heat on him. He's going to get even worse.

So give him what he wants out of fear he'll do worse? He'll fucking do worse anyway. There is no point doing anything for Trump he's shown that repeatedly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    No absolutely not what I'm saying. Just voicing my concern that he's gonna pull some wackadoo bullshit the more effective opposition and targeted attacks he faces. Like, its inevitable but I'm not looking forward to it.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    No absolutely not what I'm saying. Just voicing my concern that he's gonna pull some wackadoo bullshit the more effective opposition and targeted attacks he faces. Like, its inevitable but I'm not looking forward to it.

I get it. It’s like my fear of what Trump’s gonna be like when he leaves office. Unless he doesn’t have access to a platform for some some reason, he’s guaranteed to keep spewing shit at his opponents. It’s something that we as a nation are gonna have to figure out how to deal with.

To bring this closer to the topic at hand, I wasn’t thrilled with Pelosi getting the leadership again, but if she’s gonna handle it like this, I’m good.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It bothers me that I'm so focused on the fact Ivanka isn't wearing a ring but Kushner is.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Be real. Trying to claim sexism still influences the interactions of such a rich and powerful woman is silly and a gross exagger-

(Rucker is the WaPo chief white house correspondent)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It bothers me that I'm so focused on the fact Ivanka isn't wearing a ring but Kushner is.

To me it looks like neither one of them is wearing a ring.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I can't believe I missed this yesterday. I could see that Trump was caught off guard the moment Pelosi referred to the "Trump Shutdown", but Josh Marshall (Editor and Publisher of Talking Points Memo) noticed that Trump actually turns to Schumer and mumbles "I was going to call it the Pelosi Shutdown."

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Trumps left him with no room to negotiate on an issue where the dems won't cave and this can potentially bite his coterie in the ass since hey check it out: Trump might be insane enough to think he's got the next election on lock but it's a bit more dicey in the senate what with how they barely have a majority at the best of times.

McConnell will never grow a backbone.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Saw someone pushing the idea that the Dems should offer matching funding for every direct dollar Trump gets the Mexican government to pay up and while I don't know about it as actual policy, its a pretty funny idea.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Saw someone pushing the idea that the Dems should offer matching funding for every direct dollar Trump gets the Mexican government to pay up and while I don't know about it as actual policy, its a pretty funny idea.

I mean, it works for PBS.

Maybe the wall could be made out of tote bags, coffee mugs, and Blu Ray copies of Downton Abbey.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I can't believe I missed this yesterday. I could see that Trump was caught off guard the moment Pelosi referred to the "Trump Shutdown", but Josh Marshall (Editor and Publisher of Talking Points Memo) noticed that Trump actually turns to Schumer and mumbles "I was going to call it the Pelosi Shutdown."

I love that he ONLY reacts once he hears his name

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

hey, that's not true

Mitch McConnell is solid backbone. He is the walking talking pinnacle of steadfastedness infused into a backbone made of vibranium.

just so happens that what he stands against is morality, ethics, intelligence, decency, and kindness.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

He doesn't have to come to heel. Nothing is going to be accomplished in the 116th Congress. All that needs to get done are the must pass Appropriations Bills. Which is what this is. If Pelosi can manage a 2 year budget and debt ceiling lift, which seems possible, then it doesn't really matter that Congress will be bickering and not doing anything. Plus, subpoena and lawsuits to reign in whatever he tries.

moniker on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    All this shutdown talk got me thinking...when is the last time we’ve actually operated under an official budget, as opposed to just rolling CRs?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

hey, that's not true

Mitch McConnell is solid backbone.

That's the turtle shell.

All this shutdown talk got me thinking...when is the last time we’ve actually operated under an official budget, as opposed to just rolling CRs?

FY18.

We actually passed a full budget.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.