As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Shoulda been the Lil' Guy from Shawinigan. I know, probably some rule that they can't still be living, but I want to see a civ leader who personally waltzes out and puts the enemy troops in a chokehold.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I would have loved Pearson, especially for the diplomatic victory.

EDIT: Chretien should be an unique unit, put that might cause balance issues.

mrondeau on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You know Canada isn't all ice and tundra, right?

(he says as the temperature outside is currently -10...)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    *throws dart at map*

Canada, hmm... it's cold? Bad terrain bonuses?
    Good enough. Unique building? Hockey
    Ship it!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Do we get a drunken John A Macdonald? If not, we should riot.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    do your provinces have a 50% chance of Secession?

DanHibiki on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I like how hockey rinks can only be built in tundra. Like goddamn Texas doesn't have a few hockey teams.

No, Civ's in the right here. If you don't have snow, you don't get to have hockey.

I don't even care that much about NHL during the regular season, but when goddamn Nashville has a shot at the Cup...

NASHVILLE?!?!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    To be fair, you don't need snow for hockey, just ice.

For about a week now, we've had a bit of weird weather, where it's been sunny and clear skies, but devilishly cold. I keep expecting to wake up each day to a blanket of white. But the only white stuff are the last remaining piles strewn about from a previous fall a week ago, and they're just not melting away because it's been at least -5 even with the sun out.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If it was before the buyout you know it would have been Tim Hortons

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    It's kinda weird to go with Laurier for the national leader. Off the top of my head I... can't say anything about him at all. What were his policies, his accomplishments, his legacy? I got nothing.

Macdonald or Pearson would have made more sense IMO.

Also, I didn't know Mounties could create national parks.

sig.gif
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    He's on the five dollar bill!

That's all I know about him, actually. But it must mean he was a pretty big deal to have his face on our money.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I would have suggested Mackenzie King. Lomgest running prime minister, served during WWII, and like to talk to his dead mother and dogs.

I’d also say Pierre Trudeau, since he’s quite a character, but not right now, with his son as the PM.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Waffly Willie's on the five!

I knew at one time, but now don't recall why he was derided as a waffler, though.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    CBC has a report on the most stolen vehicles in Alberta. See if you can guess what the number 1 most stolen vehicle is. I was completely wrong about the top one, but also about most of the top 10, it turned out.
    1. Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup 2006
    2. Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup 2006
    3. Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup 2007
    4. Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup 2004
    5. Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup 2005
    6. Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup 2004
    7. Ford F250 SD 4WD pickup 2003
    8. Honda Civic two-door hatchback 2000
    9. Ford F350 SD 4WD pickup 2005
    10. Honda Civic two-door hatchback 1996

Did Ford trucks in the mid-2000's just, like, not have door locks or something?

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    No, its just that 85% of vehicles in Alberta are white F-150s.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I think a few
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Hey!

It's 80% at most!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Laurier makes some sense for something like this. First francophone PM, did a lot to unite the French and English parts of the country, pushed for an increased Canadian identity and significantly more autonomy from Britain, etc.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Insurance fraud.

"oh no, my beat down truck has been stolen!"

Buys new truck with insurance funds.

Like, 250s and 350s are work trucks. They have to be just ditching them as "stolen"

I am so done with Alberta politics ATM...

What's going on in everyone's neck of the woods? Is Trudeau the devil there also? Are transfer payments all everyone talk about also?

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I think a few
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Hey!

It's 80% at most!

I think this has actually shifted over the years, it's red and black dodge rams now.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

What's going on in everyone's neck of the woods? Is Trudeau the devil there also? Are transfer payments all everyone talk about also?

As a Saskatchewan...

:cry:

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Doug Ford is shitting the bed. Sadly he's also shitting on everyone else's bed too.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    If it was before the buyout you know it would have been Tim Hortons

hey there's still a chance to have Tim Hortons as one of the Great People you can spawn.

edit: Oh man, they should have added the Avro Aero as a special unit... well I guess I got some modding to do.

DanHibiki on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    BC is still arguing about ridesharing and the voting referendum.

We also have a group called "BC Proud" getting a lot of visibility by using facebook and just blasé "yay Canada" memes as a way to get on people's feeds where they then go whole hog right wing crazy.

Its a tactic that is sure to continue working because people have no idea how that shit works.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    BC is still arguing about ridesharing and the voting referendum.

We also have a group called "BC Proud" getting a lot of visibility by using facebook and just blasé "yay Canada" memes as a way to get on people's feeds where they then go whole hog right wing crazy.

Its a tactic that is sure to continue working because people have no idea how that shit works.

RAmSP39.jpg

Text:
    Ontario Proud, a group credited with helping Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives win the provincial election, received nearly $460,000 in corporate donations to fund its campaign efforts, new documents reveal.

Development companies and construction firms contributed the bulk of Ontario Proud's election campaign funding, according to the group's newly submitted report to Elections Ontario.

Ontario Proud launches TV ad targeting Kathleen Wynne
    It's the most popular political Facebook group in the province: Ontario Proud
    Ontario Proud rose to prominence online in 2017 with Facebook posts targeting then-premier Kathleen Wynne. During the campaign, once the polls showed the New Democrats to be the biggest threat to the PCs, the group shifted its focus to attacking Andrea Horwath's party. Ontario Proud's Facebook page attracted more than 360,000 followers by the June 7 election.

The 2018 campaign was the first in which Ontario's political parties were banned from receiving

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-proud-election-advertising-spending-1.4941210

yeah this shit is awful and needs to stop

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

Yes but the Liberals are leading in the polls despite it. People don't talk much about the transfer payments, but being on the receiving end of them tends to do that.

Things have been pretty quiet since the provincial election last October actually. So far Legault is governing like a small-c right-of-centre conservative and not a crazy alt-righter. He's laid some basic groundwork so he can start looking at fulfilling his campaign promises in an incremental way without sacrificing the budget surplus, and opened a peaceful dialogue with the Federal government regarding provincial needs that have been moving along positively. So far the media have been bitching at him for relatively trivial stuff ("How dare you send your environment minister to the climate conference instead of going yourself!?!?"). And he's got a minister in charge of electoral reform along the lines he had agreed to with the other opposition parties before the election, so I'm quite eager to see where that goes.

Given everything that's going on in the world, I'm finding this situation to be rather refreshing.

sig.gif
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm in Calgary for work and a person in the office I'm auditing has a red "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again" hat.

Also trying to get a reservation for Ten Foot Henry is tough apparently (stealth food recommendation request).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I'm in Calgary for work and a person in the office I'm auditing has a red "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again" hat.

Also trying to get a reservation for Ten Foot Henry is tough apparently (stealth food recommendation request).

If the reservation falls through Tubby Dog is pretty good for the pictures alone. I've never been to Ten Foot Henry, but have been to Charcut which was very good, they look kinda equivalent, though I'm not sure how easy it is to get into.

steam_sig.png
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If you were looking at Ten Foot Henry for plant-based stuff, then The Coup is a solid alternative. Otherwise, I had more fun eating at Bread and Circuses than I've had at a restaurant in a while, the food there has a _lot_ of flavour going on.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

There's some sort of weird shit going on with BC's provincial parliament officers and the RCMP but nobody seems to care. Everybody's still just talking about real estate, with the occasional pro vs. anti-pipeline scuffle on the side.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Doug Ford is shitting the bed. Sadly he's also shitting on everyone else's bed too.

Oh man, it's late or I'd post them, but his preferred OPP commissioner, who was the head cop in Etobicoke where Ford is from - and where his brother did a lot of crack - has now been put on blast by the current OPP commissioner for being appointed in a corrupt way. And the PCs are now fucking the Ontario Medical Association by, it seems, decertifying them as the bargaining agent for Ontario's doctors, and have withdrawn from the binding arbitration that they agreed to. Shit gon get FUCCKKKED here.

hippofant on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Oh man, it's late or I'd post them, but his preferred OPP commissioner, who was the head cop in Etobicoke where Ford is from - and where his brother did a lot of crack - has now been put on blast by the current OPP commissioner for being appointed in a corrupt way. And the PCs are now fucking the Ontario Medical Association by, it seems, decertifying them as the bargaining agent for Ontario's doctors, and have withdrawn from the binding arbitration that they agreed to. Shit gon get FUCCKKKED here.

One would think that being a known associate of Rob Ford would disqualify a person from some sort of high-level policing job.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brolo on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The original draft was titled the, "Hey, look over there!" Act.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I'm a bit late on this, but this is cool! I fuckin' love Civ VI.

Unfortunately, the way I play Civ is not at all conducive with playing as Canada. I play as Macedon because there's no war weariness for......reasons..... >.>

Nova_C wrote: »

I'm a bit late on this, but this is cool! I fuckin' love Civ VI.

Unfortunately, the way I play Civ is not at all conducive with playing as Canada. I play as Macedon because there's no war weariness for......reasons..... >.>

I'm the opposite. I always go for a diplomatic or tech victory mostly because I find the combat clunky

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Great, now I feel like creating Canada in Stellaris.

Let's see... Tundra, xenophile, pacifist... But which traits...

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    mrondeau wrote: »

One of my old traditions as a US Expat is on the 4th of July to play some 4x as "Space America". I dial all the aggression and warmongering up to a billion, make them hyper-capitalist, etc.

I might need to start doing that on the 1st with "Space Canada" as super nice and friendly frozen wastelands in space

Khavall on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Is there a civic that lets egalitarian governments still conduct purges? That would be appropriate

Idealistic foundation, parliamentary system, otherwise

Adaptive and conformist traits, maybe sedentary

This discussion has been closed.