As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Secret World Legends] - TTRPG Kickstarter huge success - Winter is coming

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is the Secret World tv show still a thing?

No news about it since the initial announcement.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dammit, no! I just freed myself from WoW! No MMOs for a while!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

It's F2P and very much supports playing casually. You can treat it as a single-player game with online interaction just fine, and not worry about trying to join a guild or anything.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's F2P and very much supports playing casually. You can treat it as a single-player game with online interaction just fine, and not worry about trying to join a guild or anything.

Honestly, given how much more grindy it is than TSW, I'd actively suggest against trying to be a tryhard in this game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostChildNESLostChildNES Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Honestly, given how much more grindy it is than TSW, I'd actively suggest against trying to be a tryhard in this game

Haha, I second that. When it comes to grindy games that's the perfect word to describe it. Not even sure if I would of been able to come up with it.. but it definitely fits for a description.

• Options
    Samhain event has started today!

In addition to the missions from last year, they have introduced The Broadcast, which has been slightly retooled from when it was in OG TSW. It's now a full-on main mission, and the final encounter has the same selectable difficulty scaling as Faction Rank missions.

There are special daily-login rewards for the duration of the event, and like last year you will get a pumpkin that you can open after slaying Super Jack in Agartha to get some free clothing items.

Also, here's a trailer for the new cache:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XL2B8v7Y5g

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnAQczsHnpo
    A MYSTERIOUS PATH IN AGARTHA HAS OPENED. INITIALLY DISCOVERED BY THE LOST CONQUISTADOR, THE QUESTION ISN’T JUST *WHERE* THE PORTAL LED, BUT TO *WHEN*.
    WITNESS – DARK AGARTHA, A TELLING OF A POSSIBLE APOCALYPTIC FUTURE.
    LAUNCHING NOVEMBER 14.

More details will be coming soon, but I do know that Dark Agartha was hinted at on the ol' roadmap that was put up back when SWL launched. It was alongside the Agent System and the main story continuation but was later stated to be put on the back-burner for a variety of reasons. With the release of this, all items listed on the initial roadmap will be implemented in the game. Here's hoping they keep it up with these near-monthly content updates to the game!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I should get back to playing this. I got sidetracked somewhere along the way, but I seem to recall that I was having fun with it after the Legends re-release.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Spooky. Anything that introduces new story and lore content is something I'm gonna be checking out.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    In preparation for the release of Dark Agartha tomorrow, they have released some more details on just what Dark Agartha is.

Here's a quick summary from the newspost:
    It's a solo-only experience.
    Elite 1 to Elite 10 difficulty, just like dungeons and scenarios.
    Four one-on-one boss battles with various "Wandering Ones" followed by a fifth boss battle that I'm guessing is a corrupted Gatekeeper.
    Time limit of 17 minutes to complete all the battles, also only 3 attempts before being "ejected from the timeline."
    The four bosses you face will vary somewhat every time you enter, not just in appearance but also the tactics and abilities they use.
    Your first entry into Dark Agartha will be free, after that you will have to pay some AP/SP to enter. Seems like there is finally a solution to people running out of things to spend AP/SP on?
    To tie-in with the end-game focus of spending AP/SP to participate in, the rewards for Dark Agartha are going to include the ability to earn Elaborate Glyph Imbuers that will allow you to upgrade your glyphs to a brand-new tier. The newspost hints at a similar Imbuer reward for talismans later on.

So it's something definitely tailored for aiming at players who have done all the story content and are looking for repeatable content to continue their gear progression.

I'm excited to try it out, not just on my main character but also my alts who have much less work put into their gear. There's always a balancing act in creating content to keep hardcore players around without also alienating more casual players, so I'll be interested in seeing what the AP/SP cost is and how difficult it is without having been following optimal build guides.

And of course, winter holidays are coming up, so they should be letting us know about those events soon, too...

• Options
    Dark Agartha is no joke. Despite having E9 gear, I still died once in an E5 attempt, and came close a few other times.

Definitely difficult content designed for players who have put a lot of time into the game, but my first impression is pretty positive. You begin to feel like you're hot shit smashing everything in lairs and having learned all the tricks dungeon bosses do long ago, and now here's a bunch of new challenges to challenge your builds and strategies.

Kind of odd that they didn't add any achievements for Dark Agartha, though...

• Options
    The winter holidays kick off in Secret World Legends!

https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2018/12/12/krampusnacht-2018-december-12-january-2/

Krampusnacht 2018 is going to have a return of all the winter events from last year, along with two new additions for this year. There's new winter-themed champion monsters that you can take bounties out on in Agartha, and then try to hunt down in the various playfields. Apparently some of them require a bit of brainwork to get to appear? There's also a new investigation mission for us to solve. Both the winter champions and the investigation mission are brand-spanking-new, so I'm super excited to check them out. Oh, and the Winter Cache is back.

• Options
    SWL has updated with group scenarios now!
    OCCULT DEFENCE: GROUP MODE
    Take a friend. Or four. Occult Defence is now open to teams of up to 5 agents, with tons of balance changes, tweaks, and even new challenges to face! Look for new accomplishments and achievements within Stonehenge!

Also, this 12-Month Patron bundle is a limited-time offering that's not only cheaper than a normal subscription for that time, it also gives you some really cool stuff.

12-MONTH PATRON BUNDLE
    Make enforcing secrecy look good! For a limited time, get TWELVE MONTHS of Patron Benefits and a slew of brand-new exclusive items for your characters. Don’t miss out, because once it’s gone it’ll be recognizable only as deja vu… (You can find the bundle in the top-left corner of your topbar, to the left of the Morninglight Collector’s Edition)[/quote]

I'm looking forward to trying out the group scenarios and seeing how they've tweaked Occult Defense, but it's going to still be a while before I get all the way to Wave 30, I think...

Oh yeah, and now there's leaderboards for the game! It tracks some stats for Stonehenge and monster kills.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdfZCj7dg4&feature=youtu.be

Moons of Madness, a stand-alone game set in the Secret World universe, has just been announced for release Halloween 2019.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If The Secret World has taught me anything it's that you should never ever sign up with any company belonging to the Orochi group. Especially not if advertises itself as doing "cutting edge science".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Awesome. I'm for anything that's Secret World lore heavy. Looks like a Filth outbreak on Mars? I'm down. Given how Earth-centric the SW cosmology seems to be, something that explores another world entirely would be welcome.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Awesome. I'm for anything that's Secret World lore heavy. Looks like a Filth outbreak on Mars? I'm down. Given how Earth-centric the SW cosmology seems to be, something that explores another world entirely would be welcome.

It's extremely intriguing to me because aliens/extraterrestrials have always been a conspicuous absence from the otherwise conspiracy-laden Secret World setting. Previous devs and writers have acknowledged the absence as intentional.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's the Orochi group. That means that it's almost 100% certain that they brought that shit with them because other planets do not have journalists or government oversight,.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A few months back, someone showed up for a New York raid in full Orochi kit - black field agent uniform, white plastic carbine, shades, the whole deal. I was like, "oh God, we're all gonna die."

(And if I recall correctly, we did! Just one wipe, though.)

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I wonder if you’ll be able to just randomly wander through the game world and win anyways because loldragon

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    A few months back, someone showed up for a New York raid in full Orochi kit - black field agent uniform, white plastic carbine, shades, the whole deal. I was like, "oh God, we're all gonna die."

(And if I recall correctly, we did! Just one wipe, though.)

The orochi outfit with glowing jack-o-lantern hat is what I normally wear if I'm not running around in a gold tuxedo with monacle and two gold bow ties.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    This news is a real nice surprise. I love The Secret World and I absolutely love its setting.

I always wanted them to do more in the setting, not even just MMO stuff either. I was worried they might've left the setting by the wayside.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    There was a ~100 MB patch today. However, being April 1st, the patch notes themselves are full of jokes and/or light trolling and no one knows if anything said in it is actually true.

What is true is that some new PvP achievements and one new mission achievement for Tokyo showed up. People are reporting that they are receiving an SMS message in Agartha, and also gaining access to some weird PvP instance, but I haven't seen any clear confirmation on how to get either to trigger yet. No idea if this stuff is only for today, if it's sticking around, or if the patch has more legitimate content that is going to be revealed after April 1st.

EDIT: The PvP instance appears to require you to be invited by another player, but you only get the ability to invite players after completing a sidequest within the instance. Haven't personally been able to access it yet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The 2nd Anniversary Event is live for Secret World Legends!

...Unfortunately there isn't much to say about it being different from the 1st Anniversary. No new missions, bosses, or lore. They have introduced some new Agents you can spend money on but nothing to actually seek out.There are some nice log-in rewards everyone can get during the event, at least.

There are a number of community-organized events that will be taking place during the Anniversary, which have been detailed in this post on the official SWL forums. A helpful and enthusiastic community has always been something that has endeared me to the Secret World, but I have to be honest, I'm more than a little worried about the future of this game when it feels like the dedicated player base is putting more work into this Anniversary than the devs themselves.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Logged into Secret World today because I just finished season 3 of Stranger Things. I really wish the bag space wasn't so limited. I have all this stuff and I'm not sure if I should toss it or keep it.

Gotta get back to Tokyo and beat that story and then move to the next.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Is it possible to still play the original Secret World or is it only Secret World Legends now?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Is it possible to still play the original Secret World or is it only Secret World Legends now?

If you have a TSW account already made from back in the day then yes, you can still play it. Download instructions are available in this Funcom forums post.

Keep in mind TSW is in maintenance mode and has not received any updates since the SWL beta nor do they run holiday events on it. Also keep in mind that a Steam install of TSW will automatically update to SWL - you'll have to copy the files out to a separate folder to login to TSW.

• Options
    It has been... far too long since this game has had anything for me to post about. It has had an Anniversary and Autumnal Equinox event, but those were merely repeats of already provided content.

But, tomorrow... something new?

Moons of Madness comes out this Halloween. I don't think we're going to get anything directly tied to that because it's confirmed to take place in The Future™, but...

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Whatever happened with the black watchmen mission?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Whatever happened with the black watchmen mission?

You mean the Nite Team 4 mission?

Good question.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Man, I wish I actually liked playing this game. There's all sorts of cool and interesting stuff going on but the combat is just so boring after a while. Have they added any new weapons or anything?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Man, I wish I actually liked playing this game. There's all sorts of cool and interesting stuff going on but the combat is just so boring after a while. Have they added any new weapons or anything?

No, they have not. What weapons are you using? You could always try out a weapon with a little more involved mechanic if you wanted to shake things up a bit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

Moons of Madness comes out October 22nd.

It takes place in the Secret World... world, and is set several decades in the future. You play as an employee of Orochi so I'm sure it's going to just be a Normal Work Simulator kind of game.

• Options
    Orochi, the Cerberus of the Secret World.

• Options

Actually the Yamata no Orochi of the Secret World.

• Options
    Moons of Madness comes out October 22nd.

It takes place in the Secret World... world, and is set several decades in the future. You play as an employee of Orochi so I'm sure it's going to just be a Normal Work Simulator kind of game.

Really! Huh. Guess all the Filth Eruption stuff worked out. Or its a real slow burn.

I am looking forwards to that game though, I love SW's lore and setting. This looks like it may have more insight into the greater cosmology than the previous spin-off did too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

Actually the Yamata no Orochi of the Secret World.

There's the myth, and then there's the actual organization and its... unfortunate record; it seems they're better at covering up their many failures than not having them in the first place.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I like the Orochi Group in TSW. They're not a generic evil super corporation. I mean they're not like, say, the Umbrella Corporation. They don't do evil experiments for convoluted evil reasons. They're legitimately trying to push the boundaries of science and human understanding for the betterment of mankind (and profit!).

It is just that they are dealing with forces they could never hope to comprehend or control and are arrogant/naive enough to believe they totally can. The Orochi Group is often the cause of many Bad Things, leaving others to clean up their mess, but they're not purposely trying to make Bad Things happen. I rather appreciate that distinction.

Mind you their hands are by no means clean (just like any faction in TSW), but they are certainly no Umbrella Corp.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Running through Orochi tower and seeing all the various experimental divisions is a joy for sure.

Though, if Moons is set long in the future, they seem to have weathered the supernatural apocalypse unfolding in the main game, so maybe they have a better handle on things than it seems. Wonder if Samuel Chandra is still in charge.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    They probably have piles and piles of extremely profitable mundane divisions that bring home the bacon to fund all their exotic failures. But bees never poke their heads in around the boring profitable stuff.

Doesn't the Orochi group basically have their fingers in every pie? I bet that the normal world is lining up out the doors on black friday to get the latest ultra high-def television from Orochi or the latest Orochi phone

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012