As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I got the new Artillery CD today in the mail, I'd say it's better than the last two (which were their worst albums), but not at the same level of greatness as their older stuff, of course. When Death Comes is still the best of the 'reunion era' Artillery, and that's almost a decade old now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spok2IpJXhE

autothrall on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I always knew kittens were fucking metal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nBC-ehtW6NQ

Hitting the road again (hate living in a blackspot for decent tours, it's always a trek) to go and see Nightwish tonight. :+1:

I've realised that the three shows I'll have been to this year are all bands I last saw in 2003 - Iron Maiden, Pitchshifter and Nightwish. Weird coincidence. That was Nightwish's first ever US show, too, which I'm rather proud of having been at. Very different times from the arena headliners they are now!

Should be a good night, the setlist is mostly older stuff and naturally it's wall-to-wall bangers, several of which may never get played again (as Tuomas has believably said).

Openers Beast in Black just finished. At the start of their set, most of the arena (still filling up) was kind of just curious. By the end they had the whole place eating out of the palm of their hands. Been a long time since I enjoyed an unfamiliar support band that much.

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Lead singer is hella good and I imagine great for hyping people up.

edited December 2018
    Definitely. Damn, I wish I could sing like that dude.

Nightwish were on fire. Almost literally. I seriously don't think I've ever seen another band who use so much pyro (yes, I'm aware there are some, don't @ me :lol: ). The last time I saw this band, only three of the same people were on the stage (Tuomas, Emppu and then-new-guy Marco), and it was in a theater in Atlanta. Now, besides the massive amounts of fire and fireworks, they have a wonderful and atmospheric use of videos - as a backdrop, and on the three risers on the stage (lower ones each side for Tuomas and Troy, and the big central drum riser for Kai). That is, of course, if you can tear your eyes off Floor, who was wearing what can only be described as fantasy armour (or maybe as fantasy armor, of course). It suited her perfectly. Her stage presence in person is astonishing, and she was on fine form tonight, dancing away for most of the show in between nailing every note. Good God, but this woman can sing. But you know that. I mean, shit, I was fortunate enough to see them when Tarja was still the singer... and yes, I liked Anette too (YMMV), although I never got to see her with them. I'm rambling, I know. I'll just quickly mention the thumbs up I got from Tuomas, and a wave from Marco at the end when he spotted my Delain shirt. Made my night, they did. Speaking of shirts, thirty-five quid each and they didn't even have my size? Oh well, nothing's 100% perfect, right? So I picked up a signed Decades earbook instead. :+1:

Setlists:

Beast in Black
    Intro: Night Crawler (Judas Priest)
    Beast in Black
    Eternal Fire
    Blood of a Lion
    The Fifth Angel
    Born Again
    Ghost in the Rain
    Crazy, Mad, Insane
    Blind and Frozen
    End of the World

Nightwish
    Intro: Swanheart (performed by Troy)
    Dark Chest of Wonders
    Wish I Had an Angel
    10th Man Down
    Come Cover Me
    Gethsemane
    Elan
    Sacrament of Wilderness
    Dead Boy's Poem
    Elvenjig (traditional cover)
    Elvenpath
    I Want My Tears Back
    Last Ride of the Day
    The Carpenter
    The Kinslayer
    Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
    Nemo
    Slaying the Dreamer
    The Greatest Show on Earth (chapters I-III)
    Ghost Love Score
    Outro: The Greatest Show on Earth (chapters IV-V)

What a wonderful night to forget all the troubles of the world and just enjoy some beautiful, joyous, uplifting music. Gig of the year for me. Even over the other ones!

Edit:

fnc5qmov2bii.jpg

Jazz on
    New Zealotry is out

https://youtu.be/jW6gqSdZw9Y

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    He went at a cop with a knife

Someone on twitter commented that this was both on brand for CC and Florida

Indeed

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher just likes to shop for clearance items at Target in his spare time.

I'd be more inclined to a test for harsh/growled vocals. But that's just personal taste, I'm very picky about my harsh vocals whereas I prefer cleans overall.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    This is one for you psychester/stoners out there. Pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRI530SV6hk

Doooooommmmm!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to a test for harsh/growled vocals. But that's just personal taste, I'm very picky about my harsh vocals whereas I prefer cleans overall.

My agree is based on the premise that the test involves "Can you sing?" and "Can you write lyrics that are interesting at all?" qualifications.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

And I perform this whole testing malarkey every time I listen to a new band. If I like it, great! If not, no harm, no foul, I move on.

I remember a quote from I think it was Paul Stanley of Kiss, saying "there's only two kinds of music, good music and bad music". And my addition to that is, we each work out for ourselves which is which.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    And I perform this whole testing malarkey every time I listen to a new band. If I like it, great! If not, no harm, no foul, I move on.

I remember a quote from I think it was Paul Stanley of Kiss, saying "there's only two kinds of music, good music and bad music". And my addition to that is, we each work out for ourselves which is which.

Sure, but we're reacting to a no-context tweet, here, not creating a theory of operation for the music industry! :D

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Meanwhile, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher just likes to shop for clearance items at Target in his spare time.

Still one of the greatest things that exists on the Internet.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    Another fun Cannibal Corpse moment is them randomly running into Jesse Jackson at an airport.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Now I'm a little bit sorry I missed seeing CC live a couple of weeks ago. To be fair, it was a Sunday night and I had work the next day.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Baroness just announced a 2019 north america tour supported by deafheaven and zeal and ardor. I suspect that will be of interest to some folks here.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So Baroness just announced a 2019 north america tour supported by deafheaven and zeal and ardor. I suspect that will be of interest to some folks here.

I'm still sad Pete Adams left. :cry: They're just not the same for me now.

SteevL wrote: »

Still one of the greatest things that exists in the entire history of the universe.

FTFY

edited December 2018
    I like harsh vocals just as much as clean vocals, there are moods set and emotional levels one can reach that the other can't, and vice versa; there are good and bad examples in each category.

autothrall on
    I'm agreeing with all of that except the first statement, which is only because of my personal preference; you're not wrong in any way. :) They absolutely achieve different ends, and they're both completely valid. And yeah, there's good and bad examples in both broad styles.

Hey, Jason Newsted lives in my old county in Florida! Fortunately he's not a Florida Man, though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSp1WW-rFM8
    "Painter, drummer"

edited December 2018
    I'm imagining a scenario: Jasonic and his wife are doing their usual painting. He's got old Metallica stuff playing really loud. His wife yells at him from across the room to turn the bass down. He gives her the greatest death stare every produced by mankind, punches a hole through his canvas, and then storms out of the studio.

EthelTheFrog on
    I'm imagining a scenario: Jasonic and his wife are doing their usual painting. He's got old Metallica stuff playing really loud. His wife yells at him from across the room to turn the bass down. He gives her the greatest death stare every produced by mankind, punches a hole through his canvas, and then storms out of the studio.

So I assume they weren't listening to ...And Justice for All. </obvious joke>

edited December 2018
    I've been listening to Red Fang a bunch lately, the last two albums, really enjoy them.

Also, a little sad to admit that I've knocked Summoning and Judas Priest off my top 18 for '18 list...

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    JP will probably make my top 20, but there a few tunes on there that I usually skip.

In other news, looks like Tobias Forge is adjusting to rockstar life.

6nkn5pdjtpfb.jpg

My color is black to the blind
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    That interview was awkward.

Also, a little sad to admit that I've knocked Summoning and Judas Priest off my top 18 for '18 list...

Summoning? No way. I thought that would've been near the top for you. I haven't listened to it in about a month, but I have it down as a 95% in my nifty little Excel spreadsheet. The only track I wasn't feeling was "Carcharoth".

In other news, looks like Tobias Forge is adjusting to rockstar life.

Hard to imagine that that's the same Tobias Forge from that Repugnant album.

edited December 2018

Summoning? No way. I thought that would've been near the top for you. I haven't listened to it in about a month, but I have it down as a 95% in my nifty little Excel spreadsheet. The only track I wasn't feeling was "Carcharoth".

View it as a good thing that they're are at least 18 albums better than the Summoning album then 8-)

Fearmeister on
    Iceland sounds like a rad place
    48268745_10156899510201306_6149078302289035264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=d4daebf36f9ba4a693b965033f3eca0e&oe=5C9A5D0F

edited December 2018
    That is one sweet lineup, the best of Iceland with some fine guests from abroad (Canada, US, Ireland, Sweden). Very cool. I'd love to see Solstafir and King Dude on the same bill.

New Venom album out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LNac_Vlns

autothrall on
    Does it cost ninepence?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Lads

What’s good in doom / stoner / slow death lately

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2018
    desc wrote: »
    Lads

Mournful Congregation!

Windhand!

Thou!

Vanguard on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Lads

Mournful Congregation!

Windhand!

Thou!

Oh Sees

Khemmis

Graveyard

Dopethrone

Earthless