As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The easiest way would be to allow the new Governor or Legislature to overrule/repeal anything passed in the time between the Election and the new session. That allows for emergencies while generally preventing the current screw job.

It wouldn’t do much about veto-proof majorities like in Carolina, but there’s not much you can do there anyway.

I would probably do it so that any legislation passed post-election automatically expires one week after the new government is seated. This allows any continuing issues to be taken up and passed (like budgetary measures for firefighting, as an example), but means it otherwise has to go through the standard practice.

To avoid shit like the gerrymandered legislature not putting up a repeal because they got what they wanted.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Jesus, I think one of next amendment to the US Constitution should be forbidding state legislatures from changing their government structures and powers during the lame duck session.

That would be a weird US constitutional amendment. If we're going that far I'd just axe the concept of sovereign states.

That said, removing legislative lame duck sessions is probably a good idea. We don't really need 2 months to figure out an election or for folks to make their way to the capitol anymore. Give it like two weeks and bar sessions without a supermajority vote to open the session and you'd be reasonable safe. I guess you could go unanimous if you like but at a certain point you get diminishing returns on your efforts to constrain people into not being asshats via rules.

I can't really think of any good reasons for why a state legislature would need to chance their government powers or structure only during a lame duck session. I can think of plenty terrible reasons, like shitbirds giving the voters the finger and ensuring they don't lose power, when their party is suppose to be losing power because they didn't win a seat. I mean if something needs to be changed, can always do it as the first thing in the new session.

Plus, those states would still have a purpose. It's just shitheads can't throw tantrums and use lame duck sessions to fuck with how government works.

There is zero reason for lame duck sessions and all they do is encourage flagrantly undemocratic actions by bad actors who've just lost elections.

Well, in theory, they're for exceptional situations. Like if Japan suddenly declares war on you.

That the Republican party has (again) seized on something that was traditionally reserved for exceptional circumstances and are using it to destroy the American republic is perhaps not an indication that that thing should not exist.

No, it absolutely is because this is what the system does. This is the behaviour it encourages and supports It literally sets up a legislature that owes nothing to the public because the election has already happened. If you need to deal with an emergency, seat the new government faster. Seat the new government faster in general really. The people have already chosen.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Update on the lame duck session.

The lowlights:

1) Banning growing your own marijuana plants, changing the excise tax to 3% from 10%, and would move the licensing to a political group instead of the state regulatory licensing board. (In committee)
    2) Ability to move your surplus campaign funds around. So outgoing senators can take their campaign cash and pay off their house campaign debts. (Passed Senate now in House)
    3) AG can't find out who are the donors to PAC's. AG can't investigate scamming charities. (Passed Senate now in House)
    4) Alter the petition proposal for minimum wage increase to 2030 instead of 2024. No cost of living increases. Tipped workers will not make $12 + tips but instead will make $4+tips+employer contribution=$12. (Passed Senate now in House)
    5) 1 hour sick leave per 40 hours instead of 1 hour per 30 hours. 50 or less employees exempt instead of 5 or less. (Passed Senate now in House)
    6) Local governments can't restrict tree removal on private property. (Passed Senate now in House) -Note: This is because some big time donors removed some trees and the local government fined them for it.
    7) Give more approval for Enbridge line #5. This is just to mess with Whitmer's pledge to shut it down. (Passed committee now in Senate)
    8) No abortion drugs through teleconferences ban renewal. (In committee)
    9) 10 acres instead of 5 acres for wetland conservation. (In committee)
    10) Change the voter registration from day of to 14 days prior and you would need either citizenship designation on DL or state ID for registration. AND you can opt out of registration. (In committee)
    11) Change the anti-gerrymandering to $500 fine if you mischaracterize your political leanings for the committee. (In committee)
    12) Move campaign finance regulation from Secretary of State to a legislative created committee. (In committee)
    13) Legislature can intervene on any legal issue with the state. (In committee)

The excise tax change is so stupid. They want to lower it so that supporters can't show how much money the state is making. The opponents will say LOOK IT ISN'T MAKING NEARLY ENOUGH MONEY SO LET'S BAN IT AGAIN.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

The lowlights:

These are words but I have no idea what they're supposed to mean. How do teleconferences deliver abortion drugs? I'm very confused as to what this is supposed to accomplish.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

The lowlights:

These are words but I have no idea what they're supposed to mean. How do teleconferences deliver abortion drugs? I'm very confused as to what this is supposed to accomplish.

Teleconferences can enable doctors to send prescriptions to a drug store for you. Now you have to physically meet with a doctor to get the prescription.

So sounds like the lame duck sessions is undoing all the ballot initiatives, directly subverting the will of the voters. Such ratfuckers.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    hippofant wrote: »
    Jesus, I think one of next amendment to the US Constitution should be forbidding state legislatures from changing their government structures and powers during the lame duck session.

That would be a weird US constitutional amendment. If we're going that far I'd just axe the concept of sovereign states.

That said, removing legislative lame duck sessions is probably a good idea. We don't really need 2 months to figure out an election or for folks to make their way to the capitol anymore. Give it like two weeks and bar sessions without a supermajority vote to open the session and you'd be reasonable safe. I guess you could go unanimous if you like but at a certain point you get diminishing returns on your efforts to constrain people into not being asshats via rules.

I can't really think of any good reasons for why a state legislature would need to chance their government powers or structure only during a lame duck session. I can think of plenty terrible reasons, like shitbirds giving the voters the finger and ensuring they don't lose power, when their party is suppose to be losing power because they didn't win a seat. I mean if something needs to be changed, can always do it as the first thing in the new session.

Plus, those states would still have a purpose. It's just shitheads can't throw tantrums and use lame duck sessions to fuck with how government works.

There is zero reason for lame duck sessions and all they do is encourage flagrantly undemocratic actions by bad actors who've just lost elections.

Well, in theory, they're for exceptional situations. Like if Japan suddenly declares war on you.

That the Republican party has (again) seized on something that was traditionally reserved for exceptional circumstances and are using it to destroy the American republic is perhaps not an indication that that thing should not exist.

No, it absolutely is because this is what the system does. This is the behaviour it encourages and supports It literally sets up a legislature that owes nothing to the public because the election has already happened. If you need to deal with an emergency, seat the new government faster. Seat the new government faster in general really. The people have already chosen.

I kinda feel like a lot of this shit has worked for many years until the Republican party decided to rules-lawyer the American Republic into dust. And... like, they're going to do this. If we removed lame duck sessions, they'd just add them back in. I don't think constitutional democracy is really designed to withstand this many bad actors. It's like whack-a-mole.

Not that I disagree with you in saying I don't see any reason why the new legislature can't be sat ASAP. I'm not really sure why they aren't.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    A lot of this seems to be "we can craft legislation against a party that is fundamentally opposed to republican democracy" which isn't realistic. The best hope here is either mass civil unrest or the courts.

Either way, you need a time period to count votes, its a huge country. Its not possible to have the election on Tuesday and the new government on Wednesday.
    1 hour sick leave per 40 hours instead of 1 hour per 30 hours. 50 or less employees exempt instead of 5 or less. (Passed Senate now in House)
    Either of these are inhumane

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

The lowlights:

Teleconferences can enable doctors to send prescriptions to a drug store for you. Now you have to physically meet with a doctor to get the prescription.

So sounds like the lame duck sessions is undoing all the ballot initiatives, directly subverting the will of the voters. Such ratfuckers.

Look, as a cis-male, I'll admit that I didn't get the best sex education. But I'll be damned if I can't think of a single situation where any physician wouldn't want to examine a woman before doing such a procedure.

Also count that as far as I'm aware there is no such over the counter abortifacient available. Are they thinking that Plan B is one? Because it's not.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

The lowlights:

Look, as a cis-male, I'll admit that I didn't get the best sex education. But I'll be damned if I can't think of a single situation where any physician wouldn't want to examine a woman before doing such a procedure.

Also count that as far as I'm aware there is no such over the counter abortifacient available. Are they thinking that Plan B is one? Because it's not.

Yes, they mean birth control pills.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

The lowlights:

Given moral and professional consequences I'm not sure how many laws mandating in-person doctor examination practices are medically sound regulation.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

The lowlights:

It's birth control

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

The lowlights:

It's birth control

I had to look this up, as the statements here didn't make a lot of sense.

Here's an article from MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/michigan-senate-extends-ban-on-prescribing-abortion-pills-over-the-phone/ar-BBQheys
    Lawmakers approved sweeping legislation in 2012 that would allow doctors to have teleconferences with patients on a wide variety of medical issues. The technology has become especially useful to patients in rural areas who have limited access to hospitals and specialized physicians.

But legislators banned physicians from prescribing the two-step abortion pills —mifepristone and misoprostol — during those telemedicine sessions.

That portion of the law was supposed to expire on Dec. 31, but Senate Republicans, on a mostly party-line 25-12 vote, approved a bill extending the ban permanently.

It looks likes it is specifically for the two medications: mifepristone and misoprostol.
    I don't know a lot about them, but everything I can see online refers to them as "abortion pills". And they are different from birth control and Plan B (emergency contraception).

Of course, the online info for this kind of thing can be a little sketchy and biased.

Either way, I don't know why a doctor would need to see a patient to prescribe this medication. I would be sort of curious to know what they can prescribe via teleconference.

• Options
    Selner wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

The lowlights:

It's birth control

I had to look this up, as the statements here didn't make a lot of sense.

Here's an article from MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/michigan-senate-extends-ban-on-prescribing-abortion-pills-over-the-phone/ar-BBQheys
    Lawmakers approved sweeping legislation in 2012 that would allow doctors to have teleconferences with patients on a wide variety of medical issues. The technology has become especially useful to patients in rural areas who have limited access to hospitals and specialized physicians.

But legislators banned physicians from prescribing the two-step abortion pills —mifepristone and misoprostol — during those telemedicine sessions.

That portion of the law was supposed to expire on Dec. 31, but Senate Republicans, on a mostly party-line 25-12 vote, approved a bill extending the ban permanently.

It looks likes it is specifically for the two medications: mifepristone and misoprostol.
    I don't know a lot about them, but everything I can see online refers to them as "abortion pills". And they are different from birth control and Plan B (emergency contraception).

Of course, the online info for this kind of thing can be a little sketchy and biased.

Either way, I don't know why a doctor would need to see a patient to prescribe this medication. I would be sort of curious to know what they can prescribe via teleconference.

The first is RU-486, which is the original morning after pill. The second one, when combined with the first, will cause a full abortion. Wikipedia says it's one of the safest ways to do an abortion in the first trimester. No surgery needed & effective in 95% of cases with little to few side effects.

What this says to me that the legislature is going to be assholes about this sort of thing just because they can. Not because they have an actual moral, legal, or ethical stance to stand on.

Also, I stand by my original thought. That's a terrible way to describe what they're trying to describe. Which is likely done on purpose, because they're assholes.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The lowlights:

Early pregnancy abortion vis drugs doesn't really need a physical exam. It's not a big deal medically.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The lowlights:

Early pregnancy abortion vis drugs doesn't really need a physical exam. It's not a big deal medically.

No, it's needs several physical exams spaced over the course of a month, a transvaginal ultrasound, it's own in-building NICU, as well as a consulting rabbi, priest, and imam on staff.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The lowlights:

I do abortions. It requires an ultrasound, frequently trans vaginal for accuracy, but not an exam.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

The lowlights:

1) Banning growing your own marijuana plants, changing the excise tax to 3% from 10%, and would move the licensing to a political group instead of the state regulatory licensing board. (In committee)
    2) Ability to move your surplus campaign funds around. So outgoing senators can take their campaign cash and pay off their house campaign debts. (Passed Senate now in House)
    3) AG can't find out who are the donors to PAC's. AG can't investigate scamming charities. (Passed Senate now in House)
    4) Alter the petition proposal for minimum wage increase to 2030 instead of 2024. No cost of living increases. Tipped workers will not make $12 + tips but instead will make $4+tips+employer contribution=$12. (Passed Senate now in House)
    5) 1 hour sick leave per 40 hours instead of 1 hour per 30 hours. 50 or less employees exempt instead of 5 or less. (Passed Senate now in House)
    6) Local governments can't restrict tree removal on private property. (Passed Senate now in House) -Note: This is because some big time donors removed some trees and the local government fined them for it.
    7) Give more approval for Enbridge line #5. This is just to mess with Whitmer's pledge to shut it down. (Passed committee now in Senate)
    9) 10 acres instead of 5 acres for wetland conservation. (In committee)
    10) Change the voter registration from day of to 14 days prior and you would need either citizenship designation on DL or state ID for registration. AND you can opt out of registration. (In committee)
    11) Change the anti-gerrymandering to $500 fine if you mischaracterize your political leanings for the committee. (In committee)
    12) Move campaign finance regulation from Secretary of State to a legislative created committee. (In committee)
    13) Legislature can intervene on any legal issue with the state. (In committee)

The excise tax change is so stupid. They want to lower it so that supporters can't show how much money the state is making. The opponents will say LOOK IT ISN'T MAKING NEARLY ENOUGH MONEY SO LET'S BAN IT AGAIN.

Under Prop 1, the 10% excise tax goes mostly to schools and roads. The proposed lame duck law would stop any money going to schools and roads, hence the rate lowering. This is about making sure that the voters don't end up improving public education or infrastructure. Next think you know, voters might start thinking that government can effectively provide public goods.

Citation: https://mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/11/legal_marijuana_tax_revenue_wo.html

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    State GOP is trying to set up a parallel, unaccountable board of education that Snyder can stuff with cronies in the next four weeks. And give it the power to shut down all the majority black schools in the state, because obviously that's a good idea.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    State GOP is trying to set up a parallel, unaccountable board of education that Snyder can stuff with cronies in the next four weeks. And give it the power to shut down all the majority black schools in the state, because obviously that's a good idea.

Right. Because we can't do the "separate but equal" thing, we'll go one step better and just not have schools for those parts of the state at all.

Now, where do I find a knife sharp enough to carve off my nose? I really want that handsome face of mine to suffer.

Martini_Philosopher on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

I can’t find that story in the linked article. Am I stupid?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    enc0re wrote: »

I can’t find that story in the linked article. Am I stupid?

That link changed on me!

https://www.bridgemi.com/public-sector/republican-bills-would-snatch-power-over-michigan-schools-democrats

Let's try that one.

They use "underperforming" and not "black" but I've worked in some of those schools. They're underperforming because the state actively sabotages them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Why stop at shutting down schools when you can shut down teacher unions or any unions?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/12/05/michigan-gop-union-certification-nightmare/2214226002/

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    You know that doctor that was indicted for the whole Flint water thing by the name of Eden Wells? She still has a job with Snyder as Chief Medical Executive. That job could go away as incoming governor Whitmer can get rid of her and her $184,000 salary.

So...instead of having her go away, the state health department created a $180,000 advisory physician job to um, advise the health department on things. Who better qualified for this position than an indicted doctor?

Guess how many people applied for this job that was posted on Nov 5 and closed on Nov 11? Yep, one.

Why create this position? Well, she can't be fired by the governor and it's very very hard to remove someone from a public service job and she is did her job by trying to keep the state from taking the blame for the whole Flint crisis thing.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Awesome.

The brazenness is just out of control.

I'm so very very tired.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Edit: wrong thread

august on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yes.

• Options
    Snyder signed the minimum wage and sick leave bill so they will be law.

The reasoning is good for the economy and a good compromise but whatever. You’re just doing it because you didn’t want the other one and businesses freaked out.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The reasoning is good for the economy and a good compromise but whatever. You’re just doing it because you didn’t want the other one and businesses freaked out.

Is this that loophole where they name something the same as the referendum bill and pass the one they made instead?

• Options

Is this that loophole where they name something the same as the referendum bill and pass the one they made instead?

They pass the referendum bill in the legislature and then it is easier to alter later on. You don’t need a super majority then.

• Options
    Update on bills for Snyder to sign as they passed in the legislature:

Bill to change the way for vote proposals to get on the ballot. Old way is that you can get the signatures from any of the districts. The proposed way is that you can only get signatures for the total from 15% of each district. So if you get 16% from District 1, only 15% of those count. It'll encourage more participation in vote proposals...or it's to put a stop to all these voter led proposals that the legislature hates. You decide.

Bill to allow the legislature to get involved in any lawsuit involving the state which is currently only for the AG.

Bill to remove same day voter registration at polling place. You would have to do it at the local clerk's office.

Bill to remove Governor's power to add environment restrictions.

• Options
    While we were away:

Things Snyder signed:
    Limiting ballot initiatives
    No state regs stronger than federal
    Online sales tax -> roads/environment instead of schools
    Shadow Department of Education that grades schools from A to F
    A compromise on the wetlands thing, not as free for developers as it was
    Allowing the breeding of large carnivores (Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my!)
    Spending more to reimburse health care providers for rape kits

Things Snyder vetoed:
    Legislature intervening in lawsuits
    Legislation to prevent disclosure of donors to PACs
    Authorizing internet gambling
    Banning doctors from prescribing birth control and what not over teleconference
    Various business tax cuts (!)

Also he's fucking gone finally. Good riddance. Whitmer sworn in today.

• Options
    Anyone else woken by the emergency alarm last night?

Michigan is having some really really cold weather and yesterday one of the Consumers Energy compressor stations had a fire so they're scrambling for reserves. We've been asked to turn down all heat to 65 degrees voluntarily.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Stay safe my northern brethren

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Anyone else woken by the emergency alarm last night?

Michigan is having some really really cold weather and yesterday one of the Consumers Energy compressor stations had a fire so they're scrambling for reserves. We've been asked to turn down all heat to 65 degrees voluntarily.

That's about what my kids room gets down to at night where it's set now. I turned down to 70 and their rooms dropped below 60. Sorry, Consumers, my family means more to me than your well aged hardware.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Plus side it only needs to limp along for another night before the weather should start breaking fast and give a few days of above avg temps so they can get their stuff fixed.

• Options
    Yeah it's going to be 52 on Monday. Basically a 96 degree change in 96 hours in terms of how it feels.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i'm sure that's normal. nothin' to see here folks, move along.

• Options

It's an exaggeration of normal. This state has a bizarre climate.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's an exaggeration of normal. This state has a bizarre climate.

"If you don't like the current weather...wait 30 minutes."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, my dad used to work the flightline for the AF base on the upper peninsula and said he'd seen colder. I do not envy him.

Winklebottom on