As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I could post dozens of clips from that debacle, but honestly this photo sums it up perfectly.

Tweeter is with Yahoo news, photo is via Reuters.

Yes, Pence was there. I don’t think he actually said anything the entire time.

Also that Trump put that portrait of old Andrew Genocide Jackson up

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I mean its good and fine, but our problem with her wasnt that she'd be unable to get Trump to say something stupid with minimal prompting.

This is such a mischaracterization of what actually happened today that it borders on silly.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I could post dozens of clips from that debacle, but honestly this photo sums it up perfectly.

Tweeter is with Yahoo news, photo is via Reuters.

Yes, Pence was there. I don’t think he actually said anything the entire time.

Also that Trump put that portrait of old Andrew Genocide Jackson up

Don't forget the bust of MLK glowering the fuck out of the camera.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You don't need to be a political operator to get Donald Trump to play right into your hands, in all fariness

Randomers who meet the President do it all the time. Non-American politicians who don't even speak English that well do it all the time. The potted plant in the corner of that room could probably have got him to say something colossally stupid about his idiotic wall. They went in there with a plan, "we don't agree to fund it and he'll obviously throw a tantrum and shut the government down, we just get him to say it out loud" boom done home for a cup of tea

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Super uncharitable read to just act like Trump would have admitted to taking the entire blame for the shutdown by just people showing up. Like he got gamed, they played him like a harp from hell.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    THIS THREAD ISNT ABOUT WHETHER PELOSI SHOULD BE SPEAKER or how much you just, really don't like her, jesus

also for more general talk about the shutdown possibility I think we have a budget thread floating around

If not make a shutdown thread

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    they played him like a harp from hell.

... Aren't those traditionally strung with razor wire etc, to grievously injure those who make the attempt?

Might want to watch the metaphors until we see how this actually turns out and in whose favor. I want to hope, but...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Call the bluff and let this shitshow shutdown. You guys know me; radical action to make a statement.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Call the bluff and let this shitshow shutdown. You guys know me; radical action to make a statement.

Oh, I think it's clear the lines have been called

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh, I think it's clear the lines have been called
    Meaning Pelosi and Schumer are saying "okay then it shuts down"?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    EDIT: Sorta close to what SIG was saying, deleting to be safe.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Washington Post reporter:

This continues to be one of the more absurd claims.

• Options
    So just approve funding for my wall the check is in the mail from mexico? are you fucking joshing me?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ahh yes, of course Mexico is going to pay for it, but still, you better give me 5 billion for the wall or else i’ll shut down the government.

• Options
    Considering Trump’s business, there may be a lot of personal enrichment coming back his way from the contractors hired to build this thing...

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Look Donnie, no bank in the US will trust you to pay them back, the Federal Government isn't going to, either.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh what the FUCK

(The Atlantic is a news organisation)

To clarify, this should (nominally) only affect people who arrived before 1995 and have been convicted of a crime. But this habit of revisiting apparently settled immigration agreements and trying to poke holes in them is unsettling.
    This is the latest move in the president’s long record of prioritizing harsh immigration and asylum restrictions, and one that’s sure to raise eyebrows—the White House had hesitantly backed off the plan in August before reversing course. In essence, the administration has now decided that Vietnamese immigrants who arrived in the country before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the United States and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation.

The usual pattern, then - feint at something heinous, withdraw at first sign of outrage, then try again when either other stuff is going on, or the novelty has worn off so the media attention will be lighter. It would be less irritating if it didn't work so often.

tynic on
  • Options
    What the flipping fuck? Like seriously why?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    White Supremacy

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    What the flipping fuck? Like seriously why?

Because he's a massive racist asshole?

Oh, you were probably being rhetorical.

• Options
    This looks like an idea that comes when standard corporate management is applied- tell a department they need to achieve an outlandish number and require ‘X’ number of ideas and updates on how you’re getting there.

In this case, the task was reducing the run rate of percentage of non-white people in the US and they’re starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of “viable” ideas

• Options
    Guy who dodged the Vietnam war decides to undo part of the effort.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    White Supremacy

More specifically, ethnic cleansing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This is the main agenda of the guys like Stephen Miller who are in Trump's orbit. They are basically finding every little opening to deport more non-whites from the country. That is their main agenda and the sole purpose of this and a host of other things like it they've done.

If you read the news on immigration matters (most of it doesn't make the big national headlines) they've essentially been systematically going through every single little agreement or law or rule the US has about various immigrant groups and doing anything they can with the power of the executive branch to make get rid of the people in question.

One of the big ones is all the TPS people they've been fucking over.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this is to make the burning on his ass from Pelosi's spanking stop. What better distraction than to point to a non-white group and screech, "EVIL!"?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

So uh.. this DHS website seems to be written by someone who English isn't their primary language.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    DHS is committed to building wall and building wall quickly. We are not replacing short, outdated and ineffective wall with similar wall.

Ow, my brain.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Well.... the do have to cater their grammar and simplified word usage to their target audience.

Their audience of one.

• Options
    This line, also near the start, strikes me as bizarre because apparently the DHS feels the need to compete with other bodies of the US government.
    Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of border wall exceptionally quickly, in some locations in as little as nine months from funding to building– a process that commonly takes two years or more in other parts of Government.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Let me rephrase: it reads like it was written by someone who speaks Russian.

Which is kinda terrifying.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Let me rephrase: it reads like it was written by someone who speaks Russian.

Which is kinda terrifying.

Not sure if it's better or worse than the DHS releases that are peppered with references to 14 and 88.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This line, also near the start, strikes me as bizarre because apparently the DHS feels the need to compete with other bodies of the US government.
    Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of border wall exceptionally quickly, in some locations in as little as nine months from funding to building– a process that commonly takes two years or more in other parts of Government.

It makes sense once you understand that some dipshit republican operative wrote all this. Of course they are gonna have bad grammar and shit all over government doing things.

shryke on
  • Options
    The best part of that release is that buried inside “facts” about how awesome walls are, and the shade thrown at other departments is the assessment that as of November they have completed about 31 miles worth of “wall”. At this rate they’ll finish up in about 60 years.

• Options
    Who knew Brick Tamland worked for DHS

• Options
    Who knew Brick Tamland worked for DHS

Yeah. I thought he worked in the Oval.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

TL;DR, ICE used the kids in cages as bait to get to look into these immigration status of households who vollenteered to take the kids, resulting in at least 170 arrests.

These people are fucking MONSTERS.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    What the fuck?

I'm setting myself up for major disappointment, but once this nightmare is over there a lot of these motherfuckers need to be sent to prison.

• Options
    Are you fuckign kidding me? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Are you fuckign kidding me? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Every time I open this thread, I'm pretty sure my soul is going to take a hit, and any joy the day has brought me will wither and turn to ash.

Today is one of those days.

This discussion has been closed.