As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    For a EU that usually has great villains, I don't know what they were smoking there.
    For a moment, I thought I'd mistakenly ended up in the Brexit thread...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    From Russia With Love is probably my favourite Bond movie. Actual Cold War espionage, gypsy fights and Rosa Klebb! Love it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    From Russia With Love is probably my favourite Bond movie. Actual Cold War espionage, gypsy fights and Rosa Klebb! Love it.

That was the one that bored me after the halfway point.

My favorite is probably Goldfinger(Goldfiiiiingaaaa).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    From Russia with Love has some great classic fights and action

Like the train fight! Hell yeah

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The train fight between Red Grant and Bond is flat-out my favourite fight scene in movies.

Not insignificant to that is the five minutes of tense build up beforehand. "The first one won't kill you... nor the second... Not even the third. Not 'till you crawl over here, and you kiss my foot."

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pierce Brosnan era Bond films, eh?

While I'm not blind to The World is Not Enough's problems, there's more than enough good in it for me to give it a pass. Having Zhukovsky back was awesome (Robbie Coltrane can basically do no wrong). The entire opening sequence is great. Sophie Marceau is at her most jaw-dropping. Yeah, it has its issues, and in some cases big ones. But I unashamedly enjoy it.

Die Another Day, though? Well, the Blu-ray gives the speakers a workout like very few other movies. I mean, it is goddamn staggering to listen to. That was actually enough to get me to sit through it again. <unpopular opinion alert> Even it has its occasional charms </unpopular opinion alert>, albeit not many, but it is by far the weakest of Brosnan's Bonds and one of the weakest in the whole franchise.

But those first three Brosnan era ones? Love them. Goldeneye is flat-out great (literally the only thing I don't like about it is the car never getting its moment - was that the first time Q pointed out a specific feature that was never used (the Stinger missiles)?). Oh yeah, and the closing song is weak, although its unique score works wonderfully. Tomorrow Never Dies does get goofy, but it's really solid for the most part, and Jonathan Pryce's scenery-chewing is amazing. And TWINE I've already covered.

Jazz on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Talking of stupid, I kinda wish there was a version of Justice League where they CGIed out Henry Cavill but not his moustache, i.e. the opposite of what they did. I like the thought of Superman as the Cheshire Stache.

I'd like a version of Justice League where they CGI'd Superman out completely. He makes every movie worse, at least in this new incarnation.

Funny, he was the best part of JL, sadly. At least he was a threat, unlike Steppenwolf.

For a EU that usually has great villains, I don't know what they were smoking there.

The problem is that what tension can there be when he can do everything the other protagonists can do, but better, and is invulnerable to boot? Aquaman at least had some charm, Wonder Woman the same. Flash and Cyborg didn't do anything for me, and Batman just plain doesn't belong there. Everything takes apart his nifty gizmos lickety split.

And yeah, Steppenwolf as a threat was laughable.

Take Superman out of the film and it would be a passable (AKA mediocre) super hero film.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Talking of stupid, I kinda wish there was a version of Justice League where they CGIed out Henry Cavill but not his moustache, i.e. the opposite of what they did. I like the thought of Superman as the Cheshire Stache.

I'd like a version of Justice League where they CGI'd Superman out completely. He makes every movie worse, at least in this new incarnation.

Funny, he was the best part of JL, sadly. At least he was a threat, unlike Steppenwolf.

The problem is that what tension can there be when he can do everything the other protagonists can do, but better, and is invulnerable to boot? Aquaman at least had some charm, Wonder Woman the same. Flash and Cyborg didn't do anything for me, and Batman just plain doesn't belong there. Everything takes apart his nifty gizmos lickety split.

Take Superman out of the film and it would be a passable (AKA mediocre) super hero film.

I mean that Superman should have been the big bad, because he posed way more of a threat than Steppenwolf did. The best scene of the film was when he stares down the Flash when he tries to sneak up behind him.

Or better yet, Doomsday. Batman was kind of wasted in the film, which is a shame, because Affleck's great at being both Wayne and Bats.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I mean that Superman should have been the big bad, because he posed way more of a threat than Steppenwolf did. The best scene of the film was when he stares down the Flash when he tries to sneak up behind him.

Or better yet, Doomsday. Batman was kind of wasted in the film, which is a shame, because Affleck's great at being both Wayne and Bats.

How do you expect Steppenwolf to be a threat when they've only really got 1 big hit and even that does that 60-70s rock thing where it juts meanders off into solos for like 3 minutes in the middle of the song and kills the momentum?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

How do you expect Steppenwolf to be a threat when they've only really got 1 big hit and even that does that 60-70s rock thing where it juts meanders off into solos for like 3 minutes in the middle of the song and kills the momentum?

I also would have settled for the band being the villain.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Everyone was griping at me for not liking MI:Fallout when it came out and now everyone saying the same thing smdh

I didn't hate it! The actions was amazing and the editing very good

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Everyone was griping at me for not liking MI:Fallout when it came out and now everyone saying the same thing smdh

I didn't hate it! The actions was amazing and the editing very good

I give those facets 5 mustaches out of 7

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Well two big hits at least

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Well two big hits at least

Right, yes. 2 big hits and the second part still stands.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Id have paid my ticket price just for the bathroom fight.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

If it makes you feel better, I still vehemently disagree with you and think it's a damn good movie.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FURNuBeQg

Just posting this because it has the real Kevin McCallister talking about Home Alone 4 which apparently completely fucks up the Home Alone lore, and now you know.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

is he jizzing at the speed of light?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean the weird anthropomorphizing aside...

...why is he not wearing socks?

Gross.

• Options
    He's naked in that poster from the ankles up.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    He's naked in that poster from the ankles up.

He's... always naked from the ankles up.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    He's got a ring hanging off his shoe laces.

GET IT, FELLOW KIDS!!!?

SONIC HAS A RING!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    BSoB wrote: »

GET IT, FELLOW KIDS!!!?

SONIC HAS A RING!

Gimme a Sonic movie thats just Trainspotting but for rings.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I was curious if there are any surviving cast members from It's A Wonderful Life. Apparently some of the child actors are still around, including Karolyn Grimes, who played Zuzu. Age 6 then, age 78 now. And she may be starring in an upcoming sequel:
    It's a Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story

George Bailey's troubled grandson is forever changed when his Aunt Zuzu comes back as an angel and reveals how much better the world would have been had he never been born. Production is moving forward steadily as of May 2015 according to producer Bob Farnsworth...
    what

what

wandering on
  • Options
    edited December 2018

GET IT, FELLOW KIDS!!!?

SONIC HAS A RING!

2f2tnh82zq4b.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    On he other hand, if Sonic tied a ring to himself, he'd be effectively invincible. So maybe it is I who am wrong.

BSoB on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

GET IT, FELLOW KIDS!!!?

SONIC HAS A RING!

2f2tnh82zq4b.png

98ro5s7ev0sv.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
  • Options
    It's impressive to manage to become a joke before you even release a teaser.

• Options
    Sonic is probably going to make a fortune on the cringe value just like Venom.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Sonic is probably going to make a fortune on the cringe value just like Venom.

But Venom was entertaining too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    BMD pointed out that the camera in that poster appears to be positioned right around dick level, and now i can't unsee it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    BMD pointed out that the camera in that poster appears to be positioned right around dick level, and now i can't unsee it.
    What, you thought those were speed lines?

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Sailor Suit and Machine Gun

sfgid5njfs2j.png

Checking out more 80's Japanese stuff. This film is from Shinji Somai, a director who would grow into one of Japan's leading directors before an untimely death to lung cancer at the start of the new millennium. Many of his early films, like this one, were youth or genre focused. The only one of his I had seen prior is Love Hotel, a Roman Porno (soft-core series from Nikkatsu; artistically free but with quotas on nudity/sexual content) that was surprisingly artful but not all that engaging.

This one is about a high school girl who is named as the successor in a struggling yakuza family and decides to accept despite it being against her nature. As the title suggest, she often wears a sailor suit, and at one point uses a machine gun. It sounds like exploitation or a wacky genre film, but it's played completely straight. Somai's direction is also not what you would expect from the material, preferring to render the entire film in long takes that take advantage of physical space and rarely include closeups.

This manner of shooting does bring a sort of conceptual realism in which violence and conversation feel grounded, and there are some very impressive and beautiful long sequences that are noteworthy both in their staging and camera movement. The other effect this has is it slows the film's pace down considerably. This is about two hours, and the plot really doesn't justify the length, nor does the achieved semi-somber tone enhance the drama. Subplots that are extraneous feel doubly so, and I found myself tuning the story out a bit while being pulled back in every few minutes by the strong craft.

Love Hotel had the same problem, where its sensuality felt distant, like it wasn't what the movie was invested in. By the same measure, this film should be strange and wild---and it's strange, but only in the ways it isn't. Somai would go on to make a number of art films, which I'm going to bet are excellent given his creative sensibilities, so I'm looking forward to seeing those. I still liked this, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pierce Brosnan is the bond most let down by his scripts and villians.

Both are literally on a complete downward slope from his first film to his last

Connery's Bond starts well, immediately improves with From Russia With Love and then at least retains that level of excellence with Goldfinger. After that he gracefully swan dives into relative silliness over the course of the next three, but his second and third movies remain absolute high points in the Bond canon. From Russia With Love actually functions as a spy movie, rather than simply as a Bond movie, and Goldfinger is the one where the formula comes together perfectly for the first time.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Pierce Brosnan is the bond most let down by his scripts and villians.

Both are literally on a complete downward slope from his first film to his last

Connery's Bond starts well, immediately improves with From Russia With Love and then at least retains that level of excellence with Goldfinger. After that he gracefully swan dives into relative silliness over the course of the next three, but his second and third movies remain absolute high points in the Bond canon. From Russia With Love actually functions as a spy movie, rather than simply as a Bond movie, and Goldfinger is the one where the formula comes together perfectly for the first time.

Timothy Dalton is highly underrated as Bond. Living Daylights and License to Kill don't get enough love. They were a radical shift from Moore's Bond. Dalton's Bond was doing the gritty reboot thing way before it was popular. I also liked how they played more into Bond being a barely functioning alcoholic who has to cheat his way through challenges. He felt a lot more like Bond from the books.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I may have misunderstood your post, but Dalton didn't play him as a barely functioning alcoholic at all. Dalton's Bond was a steely eyed assassin who was perfectly happy to kill people in cold blood. I agree he was excellent.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    License to Kill falters not because of Dalton but because the plot is more like something from a Dirty Harry/Miami Vice mishmash, what with it being about revenge and mobsters in the Keys.

As I always say though, Living Daylights is the best Bond movie.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I may have misunderstood your post, but Dalton didn't play him as a barely functioning alcoholic at all. Dalton's Bond was a steely eyed assassin who was perfectly happy to kill people in cold blood. I agree he was excellent.

I may be injecting more of the character from the books into him than I care to admit. I always interpreted his dower, kill-happy attitude to be the result of being drunk and having poor impulse control. Granted it's been a while since I've seen either.

This discussion has been closed.