As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yeah our government is full of scum

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The last time the Nationals were in crisis over a sex scandal, Andrew Broad reached for the words of American evangelist Billy Graham, who had died in North Carolina just hours earlier.

"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost," the Nationals MP tweeted in February. "Telling words for the leadership of the National Party."

The words were a direct hit on Barnaby Joyce as the deputy prime minister battled to save his job amid a messy affair with staffer Vikki Campion. The public rebuke was the beginning of the end for Joyce, who was gone within days.

Nine months later, Broad's own character is up for judgment. The Nationals MP is facing allegations that go not just to character but conduct as a federal MP and member of Prime Minister Scott Morrison's ministry.

Broad is facing bombshell claims he spent time in Hong Kong wining and dining a woman who used the online alias "Sweet Sophia Rose". Both Broad and Nationals leader Michael McCormack have been unable to say whether the assistant minister was in Hong Kong in his capacity as an MP, and have still not categorically ruled out the use of taxpayer money to fund any part of the extra-curricular adventures.

According to the woman's version of events - published in the New Idea magazine on Monday and also deserving of scrutiny - they met through a "sugar daddy" dating website. Politicians are entitled to private lives, but when you present yourself to voters as a family man and insult LGBTI Australians during the same-sex marriage debate by comparing gay men to rams having sex in paddocks, Broad can hardly be surprised when some start to speculate whether he is, at the bare minimum, a hypocrite.

Among a string of cringeworthy messages alleged to have been sent over several months, Broad told the woman he was "a country boy so I know how to fly a plane, ride a horse, and f--- my woman".

In another, Broad seemingly boasted about his promotion to the frontbench following the demise of Malcolm Turnbull in August. In a text, he is claimed to have written: "I pull you close, run my strong hands down your back, softly kiss your neck and whisper 'G'day mate'."

The woman says the pair met at Hong Kong's ritzy Aqua restaurant but the encounter went no further because she didn't like his behaviour.

Broad informed McCormack of the incident weeks ago. For reasons yet to be properly explained, the Nationals leader told Broad to refer the matter to the Australian Federal Police.

What happened next? McCormack sat on the information and did nothing until the woman's claims were splashed across New Idea on Monday. Once the story became public, frantic phone calls were made and Broad resigned from the ministry before he could be pushed.

Were taxpayer funds used to entertain the woman, McCormack was asked by reporters? "That's a question you'd have to ask Andrew Broad. I don't believe so, but that's a question you'd have to ask Mr Broad," came the response.

In a statement, Broad said: “I have been advised that the person making the allegation may have engaged in criminal activity. This matter has been reported to the Australian Federal Police and I will not be making any further comment.”

There will eventually not be enough coalition members left to hold the Ls.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edit: holy shit the rumoured identity of who that is.....

Would you believe they're a National MP who has Christian Values and is very concerned about Safe Schools and Marriage Equality?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’d read it but it’s paywalled. Can someone quote the text?

• Options
    So I've got $10 on the *foreign interests" being Russia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :/
    Why would China not be palatable to that sort of corruption, and also not more likely?
    The Russian playbook that gets referenced every so often on this forum (strategic foreign policy manual of some sort I think?) also calls for leaving Oceania/Aus to China.
    China would use the leverage for increasing economic power rather than causing disruption though.

So yeah, $10 on China

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    So I've got $10 on the *foreign interests" being Russia.
    discrider wrote: »
    :/
    Why would China not be palatable to that sort of corruption, and also not more likely?
    The Russian playbook that gets referenced every so often on this forum (strategic foreign policy manual of some sort I think?) also calls for leaving Oceania/Aus to China.
    China would use the leverage for increasing economic power rather than causing disruption though.

So yeah, $10 on China

Just as likely he's getting squeezed by both of them.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    One of my mates has his $10 on Israel as a long shot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fraser Anning told everyone who he really was months ago with his "final solution" speach. His attendance at yesterday's far right neonazi wankfest in St Kilda should have surprised noone.

Is there any way whatsoever to get him out of parliament?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fraser Anning told everyone who he really was months ago with his "final solution" speach. His attendance at yesterday's far right neonazi wankfest in St Kilda should have surprised noone.

Is there any way whatsoever to get him out of parliament?

Most likely just wait for the next election. He needs some 400k votes to win his seat back, and even he has acknowledged that won’t happen without the backing of a major party. And with no one wanting to touch him with a ten foot pole, that’s not likely.

• Options
    It was fun listening to his interview on ABC Radio.
    He still intends to charge tax payers for his attendance there, but that's okay because '[the ABC] has wasted billions of tax payers dollars, and should have been shut down years ago'

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Kudelka has perhaps the best take on the situation.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

To hide the cloven hooves?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    ekp3yphqg7xl.jpg
    (stolen from Simpsons versus the Liberals Facebook)

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think perhaps after leaving us John Clarke moved on to writing actual reality.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think perhaps after leaving us John Clarke moved on to writing actual reality.

Wait, what? No!

• Options
    I have gotten THREE FUCKING CLIVE PALMER TEXTS.

No idea where he got my number. I am on the no call list, but of course he can ignore that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I have gotten THREE FUCKING CLIVE PALMER TEXTS.

No idea where he got my number. I am on the no call list, but of course he can ignore that.

I work in an industry that sends out mail/email/sms. The amount of people who don't even know those lists exist is astounding.

I'm getting fucking sick of the ads on TV. His advertisements are having the opposite affect- I'm not fucking voting for him because he's irritating the fucking shit out of me. Also he's a huge goose, so there's that too.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I just want to know whose list he bought so I can cancel that service/whatever.
    I can't even block his texts because there's no associated number to block!

Clive is a corrupt dog-whistling racist piece of shit, but he's a white Queensland businessman, so same thing. He also has a 4chan shit poster as his twitter author it seems.

He also hasn't paid out his debts from Queensland Nickel, but somehow can afford billboards, internet banner ads and phone spam

I really, really hope Australia gives him nothing at the election. He already tried this in 2013 under the same banner, albeit less nationalist in tone, and proved to everyone once he was in he cared for noone but himself. He's a garbage human being who saw Trump and thought "well that's an idea".

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just want to know whose list he bought so I can cancel that service/whatever.
    I can't even block his texts because there's no associated number to block!

Clive is a corrupt dog-whistling racist piece of shit, but he's a white Queensland businessman, so same thing. He also has a 4chan shit poster as his twitter author it seems.

He also hasn't paid out his debts from Queensland Nickel, but somehow can afford billboards, internet banner ads and phone spam

I really, really hope Australia gives him nothing at the election. He already tried this in 2013 under the same banner, albeit less nationalist in tone, and proved to everyone once he was in he cared for noone but himself. He's a garbage human being who saw Trump and thought "well that's an idea".

Can we have Queenslalabama secede or something? I mean, for fuck's sake. Palmer. Hanson. Dutton. Is there a greater trinity of dipshits involved in federal politics?

Hell, Trump is all but an amalgamation of Hanson's stupidity and ignorance, and Palmer's greed and corpulence. And Dutton is the Stephen Miller of Australia.

• Options
    I dunno.
    Hanson appears to genuinely care about her farmers, whilst having no idea how to help them.
    Trump doesn't care about his at all.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I've heard about the no call lists, but I've always been a bit wary. Are they enforced in Australia? Seems like a good way to advertise what numbers are active and working.

工事中
  • Options
    They're enforced, but I wouldn't be surprised if political parties are able to just spam it by law anyway.

• Options
    Yeah:
    https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/consumer-overview/political-calls-you-might-receive/
    Question is whether Clive can actively pull the list and start calling.

• Options
    Meanwhile, ScoMo is DESPERATELY trying to flame the culture wars

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Not only forcing citizenship ceremonies to be held on Australia Day, but removing the ability to hold them for any Councils that refuse. Fuck you ScoMo, you horrible fuck.

God, May can't come fast enough. Shorten isn't the most inspiring of folks, but him and his senior Ministers/Senators don't make many mistakes, compared to the Coalition.

• Options
    About the do not call/mail/sms/etc lists, they’re publicly available (they have to be or it would be a nightmare using them) and contain everything to actually contact you via that means (otherwise there’s no way to check against it).

So yeah it’s entirely possible they pulled the list and used it since political messages seem to be fine to send.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »
    About the do not call/mail/sms/etc lists, they’re publicly available (they have to be or it would be a nightmare using them) and contain everything to actually contact you via that means (otherwise there’s no way to check against it).

So yeah it’s entirely possible they pulled the list and used it since political messages seem to be fine to send.

So, I don't think everyone can just ask for the entire list; you can supply the do not call registry with a list of numbers, and they'll tell you which ones are on the register.
    Politicians sometimes get special powers however and may be able to just request the full list, although I didn't see that power in the legislation.

discrider on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten a Clive Palmer text yet, but my girlfriend did and simply replied "Fuck off" and then deleted it. I probably would have done the same.
    Not only forcing citizenship ceremonies to be held on Australia Day, but removing the ability to hold them for any Councils that refuse. Fuck you ScoMo, you horrible fuck.

God, May can't come fast enough. Shorten isn't the most inspiring of folks, but him and his senior Ministers/Senators don't make many mistakes, compared to the Coalition.

Wait, May? Why May specifically? Did I miss something?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    End of the current term + government old are under water = push the next election date as far as you can:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Australian_federal_election (May 18th deadline for the senate; didn't realise we could get two elections...)

discrider on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I really doubt separate elections will happen. It might buy them a few more months but it would get them torn apart.

• Options
    Here’s something interesting. Being on the do not call register in this case doesn’t help.
    Will registering my number stop me from receiving SMS Marketing?

No, registering you mobile number will not prevent you from receiving SMS marketing.
    SMS marketing is covered by the Spam Act 2003. The Spam Act also regulates the sending of commercial emails and other electronic message types such as MMS and instant messages.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    I really doubt separate elections will happen. It might buy them a few more months but it would get them torn apart.

Whilst I agree, if any government is going to try it for the extra months, it's going to be a deeply unpopular government that thinks its got nothing to lose.

• Options
    I want to throw something at the TV every time Morrison refers to the millions of dead fish in the darling as an "ecological" disaster or brings up the drought. It's not a natural disaster, it's a man made one created from Coalition corruption and spearheaded by Barnaby, a man whose entire political career was built on money from big cotton farms (Cubbie Station specifically).

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Got a Clive text myself this morning, pretty annoying that it doesn't let you reply.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Didn't appear to be attached to a mobile number either.
    Marked it as spam on my mobile; hopefully Google automatically blocks him from other Androids

This discussion has been closed.