As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It bothers me that I'm so focused on the fact Ivanka isn't wearing a ring but Kushner is.
    I'm not married but my husband is.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    All this shutdown talk got me thinking...when is the last time we’ve actually operated under an official budget, as opposed to just rolling CRs?

FY18.

We actually passed a full budget.

So 10, 20 years ago?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    All this shutdown talk got me thinking...when is the last time we’ve actually operated under an official budget, as opposed to just rolling CRs?

FY18.

So 10, 20 years ago?

Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018

So like 9 months ago. Though there were a few CRs to get to it and the shutdown in February over DACA.

It was a big deal because an actual budget changes hiring and investment a ton.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    A full budget was approved in 2009; then there was an anomaly (I call it that because we nearly had an unbroken decade of CR bullshit) in 2012. So 2010, 2011, and 2013-2017 all involved CRs.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think he was making a "2018 feels like an eternity" joke.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

FY18.

So 10, 20 years ago?

Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018

So like 9 months ago. Though there were a few CRs to get to it and the shutdown in February over DACA.

It was a big deal because an actual budget changes hiring and investment a ton.

And Trump immediately had a tantrum and declared he wouldn't sign any more omnibus appropriation bills. Hence the partial shutdown threat: lots of the government does have a budget for this year already.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    A full budget was approved in 2009; then there was an anomaly (I call it that because we nearly had an unbroken decade of CR bullshit) in 2012. So 2010, 2011, and 2013-2017 all involved CRs.

Actually this is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_resolution

FY2007-FY2011, and FY2013-FY2018 all included CR fuckery.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    WRONG THREAD

Kruite on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Actually this is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_resolution

FY2007-FY2011, and FY2013-FY2018 all included CR fuckery.

CR's aren't unusual. It's when they last more than a few weeks/months to tie up the last bows that it is weird.

Washington Post has a good article on the current standing of the Trump bill. It isn't great.
    “We’re so far gone from reality I just don’t think it’s doable,” said Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), a retiring member who has opposed some of Trump’s immigration policies. “Even if the president were to pass it in the House, I don’t think there’s much enthusiasm in the Senate to pass it. ... I’m not in favor if it, but I’m just one more lemming here.

Schumer calls on McConnell to pull Trump ‘back from the brink’ on wall fight

The Republicans are trying to whip up a vote this week but a lot of the Republicans who lost or are retiring have left town or are leaving soon so getting the amount they need is becoming complicated by that. To top it off not all are willing follow blindly since it cost them nothing to vote against Trump now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Washington Post has a good article on the current standing of the Trump bill. It isn't great.
    “We’re so far gone from reality I just don’t think it’s doable,” said Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), a retiring member who has opposed some of Trump’s immigration policies. “Even if the president were to pass it in the House, I don’t think there’s much enthusiasm in the Senate to pass it. ... I’m not in favor if it, but I’m just one more lemming here.

Schumer calls on McConnell to pull Trump ‘back from the brink’ on wall fight

The Republicans are trying to whip up a vote this week but a lot of the Republicans who lost or are retiring have left town or are leaving soon so getting the amount they need is becoming complicated by that. To top it off not all are willing follow blindly since it cost them nothing to vote against Trump now.

Sometimes it sucks having to be the adults in the room, where we have to pressure Trump and the Republicans to keep the government open so that people can continue eating and living

when all I want to do is say "LET THEM HANG" (the republicans, not the people who won't be getting any money)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Finally watched the video. Pelosi is great.

They should absolutely not fund the wall. It’s very obvious who’s the bad actor if Trump vetos a budget (or if the house and senate reps don’t send anything up because they want to force the veto)

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I can't believe I missed this yesterday. I could see that Trump was caught off guard the moment Pelosi referred to the "Trump Shutdown", but Josh Marshall (Editor and Publisher of Talking Points Memo) noticed that Trump actually turns to Schumer and mumbles "I was going to call it the Pelosi Shutdown."

I love that he ONLY reacts once he hears his name

Colbert likened Trump to Alexa

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I can't believe I missed this yesterday. I could see that Trump was caught off guard the moment Pelosi referred to the "Trump Shutdown", but Josh Marshall (Editor and Publisher of Talking Points Memo) noticed that Trump actually turns to Schumer and mumbles "I was going to call it the Pelosi Shutdown."

I love that he ONLY reacts once he hears his name

Colbert likened Trump to Alexa
    That's a bit insulting. I have a fair idea of the kind of models used in Alexa, and they are reasonably sophisticated, with significantly better state tracking and syntactic processing than anything Trump ever demonstrated.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also when Alexa doesn't understand something you said she admits it, she doesn't spew a word salad at you while insisting she's a genius.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    also when Alexa doesn't understand something you said she admits it, she doesn't spew a word salad at you while insisting she's a genius.

Now I want to make a Trump voice assistant. You could probably even get him to do the voice for it since he loves branding.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I was informed today that in the case of shut down i have to work, and am funded to do so, however our payroll department is not funded so we still don't get paid anyway.

I was really looking forward to an unpaid vacation actually :(

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Now I want to make a Trump voice assistant. You could probably even get him to do the voice for it since he loves branding.

The worst April Fools prank Amazon could pull.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I was informed today that in the case of shut down i have to work, and am funded to do so, however our payroll department is not funded so we still don't get paid anyway.

Wow that’s the worst of all possible worlds.

“We need you to work for no pay for a little while.”

My wife works for the state of Texas, so she’ll keep working and getting paid, but if somebody at my private sector job told me what they’re telling you, I would laugh at them and tell them to turn that sideways and stick it up their pee-hole. Obviously you can’t do that working for the government. Sorry. :(

joshofalltrades on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The coat Pelosi was wearing when she left the White House with sunglasses on has been meme'd so much since this meeting that the company that made it is putting it back into production and offering it for sale for the first time since 2013.

Viskod on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Pelosi's stimulating the economy!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It's funny how everyone on the left went straight from "Push Pelosi out, she's a weakling compromiser" to "MOTHER OF DRAGONS" after one little bit of cool.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's funny how everyone on the left went straight from "Push Pelosi out, she's a weakling compromiser" to "MOTHER OF DRAGONS" after one little bit of cool.

Reminders help.

Buried in the news last night was that apparently Pelosi struck a deal with some of the holdouts in the new Democratic wave. Almost like she knows what she's doing! :)

Though I did hear she was 78. I know politicians tend to live longer and with higher standards of living, but it does worry me.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

She had plenty of defenders all along.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

I think we're all just so tired of the bullshit, that even the slightest bit of resistance and push back feels so incredibly gratifying. Like, finally, someone who gets an audience with this clown can fact check him to his face. Amazing.

KoopahTroopah on
    Unlike with elected offices, the Speaker of the House can be replaced quite quickly if Pelosi has a sudden heart attack or gets diagnosed with something serious. So her age shouldn't matter. That's probably why they've got her to agree to retire in 4 years.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I think we're all just so tired of the bullshit, that even the slightest bit of resistance and push back feels so incredibly gratifying. Like, finally, someone who gets an audience with this clown can fact check him to his face. Amazing.

"This is what it looks like when someone competent is in power and won't put up with bullshit."

It's a new experience after two years of the toddler and his bootlicks.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Wow that’s the worst of all possible worlds.

“We need you to work for no pay for a little while.”

My wife works for the state of Texas, so she’ll keep working and getting paid, but if somebody at my private sector job told me what they’re telling you, I would laugh at them and tell them to turn that sideways and stick it up their pee-hole. Obviously you can’t do that working for the government. Sorry. :(

Well “not getting paid” in this context doesn’t mean truly unpaid work, it just means the actual check is delayed. It’s why you aren’t alloed to work without approved funding in place first (and why some employees won’t be allowed to work), because that’s an unlawful obligation of public funds.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    What's important is that she needs to guide potential successors to the role, to build the roster so that when she does retire, someone is ready and able to step in smoothly, without hitting any 'it's my first day' mistakes.

Especially during an important time... like a potential or active shutdown of the Government (I'm guessing the pending one won't be the only one to occur in the years to come).

Or all the others where strong leadership will be important, it's not an exhaustive list.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Pelosi and Schumer urged the president in Tuesday’s meeting not to pursue a shutdown and instead take a deal that would provide $1.3 billion for border fencing by extending current levels of funding.

Sorry, explain to me why we stan our woke queen?

TL DR wrote: »
    Pelosi and Schumer urged the president in Tuesday’s meeting not to pursue a shutdown and instead take a deal that would provide $1.3 billion for border fencing by extending current levels of funding.

I do not speak this language.

Are we going to go after the 1.3 billion that has specific limitations for it not to be used on a wall and are mostly to repair fencing and such that exists already? That is what this is. It was already in the budget for last year as well. Funny bit that Schumer even pointed out, DHS hasn't even spent it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Are we going to go after the 1.3 billion that has specific limitations for it not to be used on a wall and are mostly to repair fencing and such that exists already? That is what this is. It was already in the budget for last year as well. Funny bit that Schumer even pointed out, DHS hasn't even spent it.

Do you have a link handy? This is the second reference I've seen to the $1.3B that made it seem like a new proposal by Schumer.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Probably because they knew he wasn't going to agree to anything outside of what he, the narcissist, wants and they wanted to put on a show in front of cameras?

Dealing with Trump isn't exactly 4-dimensional chess. It's barely even chess. It's more like Chutes and Ladders, except you know he won't take the Chutes.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

A clean CR means a clean CR. Including the stuff we don't like.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm still not a fan of Pelosi, fwiw

Do you have a link handy? This is the second reference I've seen to the $1.3B that made it seem like a new proposal by Schumer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/03/22/heres-what-congress-is-stuffing-into-its-1-3-trillion-spending-bill/?utm_term=.f5c0dc7a339b
    Border wall: The bill provides $1.6 billion for barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border but with serious strings attached. Of the total, $251 million is earmarked specifically for “secondary fencing” near San Diego, where fencing is already in place; $445 million is for no more than 25 miles of “levee fencing”; $196 million is for “primary pedestrian fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley; $445 million is for the replacement of existing fencing in that area; and the rest is for planning, design and technology — not for wall construction. The biggest catch is this: The barriers authorized to be built under the act must be “operationally effective designs” already deployed as of last March, meaning none of President Trump’s big, beautiful wall prototypes can be built.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So Pelosi is selling more jackets than Ivanka?

Are these fences/infrastructure the stuff around the border crossings you drive through and pretend like you’re not bringing prescription drugs back at a fraction of the price they’re sold for in the US?

Also going through the transcript Schumer specifically says, "Let's do what we did last year and continue that." Paraphrasing but that is the 1.3 billion for border security, which like the FY18 has a bunch of conditions on it. Basically it is not building the wall.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm still not a fan of Pelosi, fwiw

This isn't what this thread is about

I'll let you all know when we have a "please share your personal approval of Pelosi thread"

Don't hold your breath

This discussion has been closed.