As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Pelosi and Schumer urged the president in Tuesday’s meeting not to pursue a shutdown and instead take a deal that would provide $1.3 billion for border fencing by extending current levels of funding.

Sorry, explain to me why we stan our woke queen?

Are we going to go after the 1.3 billion that has specific limitations for it not to be used on a wall and are mostly to repair fencing and such that exists already? That is what this is. It was already in the budget for last year as well. Funny bit that Schumer even pointed out, DHS hasn't even spent it.

Do you have a link handy? This is the second reference I've seen to the $1.3B that made it seem like a new proposal by Schumer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/03/22/heres-what-congress-is-stuffing-into-its-1-3-trillion-spending-bill/?utm_term=.f5c0dc7a339b
    Border wall: The bill provides $1.6 billion for barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border but with serious strings attached. Of the total, $251 million is earmarked specifically for “secondary fencing” near San Diego, where fencing is already in place; $445 million is for no more than 25 miles of “levee fencing”; $196 million is for “primary pedestrian fencing” in the Rio Grande Valley; $445 million is for the replacement of existing fencing in that area; and the rest is for planning, design and technology — not for wall construction. The biggest catch is this: The barriers authorized to be built under the act must be “operationally effective designs” already deployed as of last March, meaning none of President Trump’s big, beautiful wall prototypes can be built.

Thanks.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I still feel like I'm missing something, because the February budget deal includes $1.3B for border security (but no capital-W 'Wall'), increased military spending, and a relative cut to nonmilitary government wages (1.9% increase vs 2.4% for military), and since then the Dems made gains in the House, and it seems that folks are celebrating that Pelosi and Schumer didn't give Trump even more since then

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I still feel like I'm missing something, because the February budget deal includes $1.3B for border security (but no capital-W 'Wall'), increased military spending, and a relative cut to nonmilitary government wages (1.9% increase vs 2.4% for military), and since then the Dems made gains in the House, and it seems that folks are celebrating that Pelosi and Schumer didn't give Trump even more since then

Dems don't control the legislative process for another few weeks. But when it comes down to it, a small payment for general use border security is worth doing verse a government shutdown which will cost a lot more and hurt a lot more people across the wage spectrum.

In other bits, that wage increase was an override of Trump who wanted to give no increase. And overall civilian wages in the government have been mostly flat for the last decade. Like not a small with inflation increase but an actual no increase.

Military spending is not part of any of these negotiations as that appropriation bill was signed already.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Framing it as "giving" him anything is interesting

Why isn't it framed as them holding the line on what was passed before in the GOP controlled Congress? That's what a clean CR is. They are refusing to agree to vote for what Trump wants now, yes, and he told them he's fine shutting down the government over it.

Your original post implied they had caved and agreed to more funding for the wall. This isn't the case.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Pelosi and Schumer urged the president in Tuesday’s meeting not to pursue a shutdown and instead take a deal that would provide $1.3 billion for border fencing by extending current levels of funding.

Sorry, explain to me why we stan our woke queen?

I do not speak this language.

"Explain to me why we are so enthusiastically in favor of this public figure who typifies socially aware behavior?'

(I took a year of Buzzfeed in college.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Democrats haven't made gains in the House. This is still the 115th Congress.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

I meant in terms of a popular mandate. If Trump wants to bully the Dems, he's in a worse position to do so now than before the election, so why would there be any expectation that Democratic leadership would give in to any pressure?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I meant in terms of a popular mandate. If Trump wants to bully the Dems, he's in a worse position to do so now than before the election, so why would there be any expectation that Democratic leadership would give in to any pressure?

Because Trump is incapable of even slightly admitting he lost.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Because it turns out that "by popular mandate" means nothing to the party currently in power.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    This is "I totally won the popular vote, guys" or "it's a tremendous achievement to win Senate seats in deep red states" Trump we're talking about here, facts don't matter: winning does.

• Options

Trump lacks object permanence.

He literally brought up holding the Senate during that presser.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Trump lacks object permanence.

He literally brought up holding the Senate during that presser.

It’s been reported once or twice so far, but apparently Trump is pissed at the media because they keep focusing on how the Democrats won 40 seats in the House, but they “ignore” the gains the Republicans had in the Senate.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

That has nothing to do with it, though. The question is whether the fault for a shutdown would go to the Dems or not.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So a thought occurs to me about how they can get trump to roll over on this super fast: In the event of a government shutdown all governement agencies are effectively operating without pay and thus a lot of these people won't work because well, why would you for an IOU?

Which means that Trumps favorite federal agency (ICE) effectively ceases to function.

Just in time for the caravan he's been fear mongering over to arrive at the border.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

That has nothing to do with it, though. The question is whether the fault for a shutdown would go to the Dems or not.
    That's why it's important to propose exactly what was already passed, because if anything changes it'll be Pelosi's Shutdown.

If nothing changes except for the fact that this time Trump won't sign it, it's Trump's Shutdown.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

No, it wouldn't. Trump has already claimed credit for it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So a thought occurs to me about how they can get trump to roll over on this super fast: In the event of a government shutdown all governement agencies are effectively operating without pay and thus a lot of these people won't work because well, why would you for an IOU?

Which means that Trumps favorite federal agency (ICE) effectively ceases to function.

Just in time for the caravan he's been fear mongering over to arrive at the border.

Sadly this isn't really how it works.

ICE and a lot of DHS are considered exempt and must report without pay or they can be fired for being a no show. This also includes a lot of FEMA, TSA, Coast Guard, and the Border Patrol. So his favorite agency is still working but for no pay. Which probably won't help his popularity with them if they even blame him.

What it will also do is back up stuff like the immigration courts and processes even more than it is under his watch making people wait longer to have their case heard but I am pretty sure immigration judges are not exempt.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018

ICE and a lot of DHS are considered exempt and must report without pay or they can be fired for being a no show. This also includes a lot of FEMA, TSA, Coast Guard, and the Border Patrol. So his favorite agency is still working but for no pay. Which probably won't help his popularity with them if they even blame him.

What it will also do is back up stuff like the immigration courts and processes even more than it is under his watch making people wait longer to have their case heard but I am pretty sure immigration judges are not exempt.

WTF I love the government shutdown now

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Also, it's not that a lot of Government employees don't want to work for an IOU and so won't show up. They are legally barred from working without lawful appropriations allowing them to. Checking your work email during a shutdown is technically a felony.

Though, not all of DHS is "Essential" and Trump doesn't understand how any of this works, so you could probably still catch him with something sophmoric.

moniker on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    For those that are interested, here is some local NZ news station reporting on the shutdown.

RNZ is Radio New Zealand, a mainstream news org (even though it's on the telley. Video killed the radio star and then assumed it's identity?)

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Out of curiosity, do Air Force One and Marine One keep going as per normal in the event of a shut-down?

Basically, is Trump going to find himself unable to go golfing?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do Air Force One and Marine One keep going as per normal in the event of a shut-down?

Basically, is Trump going to find himself unable to go golfing?

DoD already has it's appropriations.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    For those that are interested, here is some local NZ news station reporting on the shutdown.

RNZ is Radio New Zealand, and mainstream new org (even though it's on the telley. Video killed the radio star and then assumed it's identity?)

Clearly laughing with him :rotate:

• Options
    These are the 7/12 Bills only funded through the 21st via CR:

Agriculture
    Commerce, Justice, Science
    Financial Services & General Government
    Homeland Security
    Interior, Environment
    State, Foreign Operations
    Transportation, HUD

USDA should get through sometime this week, so it'll be 6/12 Appropriations Bills below agriculture that need to get continued.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I gather the House GOP leadership was going to try to put Senate Democrats on the spot by passing a bill that funded Trump's shitty wall. Problem is Ryan still hasn't learned to count and it's looking unlikely that they'll get the numbers needed to make it happen between low morale and people leaving town because of the holidays. I was hoping to find someone other than politico as a source, but yeah, they pretty much failed, as expected.

Democrats are pretty much forced to wait for GOP leadership to put up a bill for votes and I gather the GOP is waiting on Trump. Also those that have left town, won't be back until the 19. So there is probably going to be a partial government shutdown if Trump doesn't back down in the next week. I don't think there are enough responsible republicans that would consider rebuking Trump and overriding a veto. Only way they probably get something though a Trump tantrum is to pass something the democrats will back, get Trump to veto it ASAP and then override said veto. Problem is, even if they go that route, it's looking quite possible that Trump will throw a tantrum and then pout away in his room, while not doing anything and IIRC the timeline might line up to allow a pocket veto to happen (if the GOP leadership decides to be petty, they could adjourn and not have someone to receive a vetoed or unsigned bill, granted not sure how things play out if things line up so the time expires in the next Congress because Sundays aren't counted, so it could be 11 or 12 days). We certainly don't time for the clock to tick out on a bill that just gets ignored since that's going to be 11-12 days for the clock to finish counting down and we have less than 7. Either way the smart play would be to pass something now that can get passed and hope Trump blinks, which given his past record, might not be a bad play. Can always hope if he doesn't blink, that he immediately vetoes in a tantrum and then try to get the votes needed before the deadline.

Mill on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Donald J. Trump is somehow still the president of the United States

Remember when Trump said that he'd take the mantle of this government shutdown? Well, not so much.

Also kind of destroying his own argument that Democrats want open borders with this video, but that's more for the immigration thread.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    What an awful, awful video. Not just from the content, but the way it's edited, the quick cuts from statements with no subtext, the police siren during the last statement from Trump, it's just a bad production job.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's the longest Trump has held a conviction in his presidency. It took him 3 days instead of 1 to turn around from "Yeah I wanna shut it down" to "nuh uh it's the Dems."

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    That's the longest Trump has held a conviction in his presidency. It took him 3 days instead of 1 to turn around from "Yeah I wanna shut it down" to "nuh uh it's the Dems."

and in that meeting, he knew he needed 60 votes in the senate AND that he did not have the requisite 60 votes!

at this rate, he'll be a halfway decent president around the time of the heat death of the universe!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Trump: "This is my shutdown."
    Pelosi: "Okay, it's your shutdown."
    Trump: "WHAT!? It's not MY shutdown!!"

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Trump: "This is my shutdown."
    Pelosi: "Okay, it's your shutdown."
    Trump: "WHAT!? It's not MY shutdown!!"

Yeah, that did have a bit of "rabbit season, duck season" to it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

and in that meeting, he knew he needed 60 votes in the senate AND that he did not have the requisite 60 votes!

at this rate, he'll be a halfway decent president around the time of the heat death of the universe!

A little optimistic.

If the Universe is indeed cyclical, maybe give him a couple of crunches as handicap

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Trump has a mental condition that causes him to say whatever he believes will most aggrandize or least humiliate him in that precise moment, with absolutely no regard for the truth or continuity with previous statements.

We all know this, but it is worth reminding ourselves because there's some part of our primate brain that wants to treat him just like any other normal member of society.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Remember when Trump said that he'd take the mantle of this government shutdown? Well, not so much.

Also kind of destroying his own argument that Democrats want open borders with this video, but that's more for the immigration thread.

So basically it took a few days but Trump's staff finally convinced him he done did a stupid and now they are hastily trying to fix it but they are fucking incompetent at their jobs, as usual, so it looks like something thrown together by high schoolers during lunch right before the video was due in the afternoon.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    So I gather the House GOP leadership was going to try to put Senate Democrats on the spot by passing a bill that funded Trump's shitty wall. Problem is Ryan still hasn't learned to count and it's looking unlikely that they'll get the numbers needed to make it happen between low morale and people leaving town because of the holidays. I was hoping to find someone other than politico as a source, but yeah, they pretty much failed, as expected.

Democrats are pretty much forced to wait for GOP leadership to put up a bill for votes and I gather the GOP is waiting on Trump. Also those that have left town, won't be back until the 19. So there is probably going to be a partial government shutdown if Trump doesn't back down in the next week. I don't think there are enough responsible republicans that would consider rebuking Trump and overriding a veto. Only way they probably get something though a Trump tantrum is to pass something the democrats will back, get Trump to veto it ASAP and then override said veto. Problem is, even if they go that route, it's looking quite possible that Trump will throw a tantrum and then pout away in his room, while not doing anything and IIRC the timeline might line up to allow a pocket veto to happen (if the GOP leadership decides to be petty, they could adjourn and not have someone to receive a vetoed or unsigned bill, granted not sure how things play out if things line up so the time expires in the next Congress because Sundays aren't counted, so it could be 11 or 12 days). We certainly don't time for the clock to tick out on a bill that just gets ignored since that's going to be 11-12 days for the clock to finish counting down and we have less than 7. Either way the smart play would be to pass something now that can get passed and hope Trump blinks, which given his past record, might not be a bad play. Can always hope if he doesn't blink, that he immediately vetoes in a tantrum and then try to get the votes needed before the deadline.

This is why Pelosi is good at her job: she can count. She kept telling Trump this shit during his on-camera meltdown. They don't have the votes in the House.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

So basically it took a few days but Trump's staff finally convinced him he done did a stupid and now they are hastily trying to fix it but they are fucking incompetent at their jobs, as usual, so it looks like something thrown together by high schoolers during lunch right before the video was due in the afternoon.

how sure are we it wasn't thrown together by high schoolers during lunch right before it was due?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I like how none of this would be an issue if trump would just let go of his stupid vanity project that everyone with half a brain has said won't actually work.

I mean he can't of course since even if he was capable of humility, the fact is he campaigned on building the wall and that without it his first two years have effectively accomplished nothing constructive for the american people.

• Options
    Alternately: Pelosi could turn around and advise trump to either raise taxes on the wealthy to cover the cost of the wall (and other assorted issues of national security) and/or redirect some of the extra funds he allocated to the military to it's construction by designating it as a defensive fortification.

Because yeah: This is a luxury the US can do without.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I like how none of this would be an issue if trump would just let go of his stupid vanity project that everyone with half a brain has said won't actually work.

I mean he can't of course since even if he was capable of humility, the fact is he campaigned on building the wall and that without it his first two years have effectively accomplished nothing constructive for the american people.

But it doesn’t accomplish anything constructive for the American people, so that doesn’t change no matter what

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    And judging by how the administration handled appropriated money for Puerto Rico and DHS hiring, $5 billion for the wall would most likely end up mostly in the hands of Trump-connected 3rd-party contractors, with a few miles of cinder blocks and "No Trespassing" signs to show for it.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.