As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Shadow of War actually reversed their P2W system eventually as well.

While openly admitting that it had ruined the balance of the game for people not buying the boxes, yeah. WB really kneecapped them by forcing those in.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

While openly admitting that it had ruined the balance of the game for people not buying the boxes, yeah. WB really kneecapped them by forcing those in.

Again which can be seen as a positive for future game development. When devs are like "yeah this fucked with our game and hurt the players" that at least puts them at a disadvantage to try and sell it again as a good thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Again which can be seen as a positive for future game development. When devs are like "yeah this fucked with our game and hurt the players" that at least puts them at a disadvantage to try and sell it again as a good thing.

Totally, although to be clear these monetization schemes are almost always something the publisher cooks up, not the dev, and I would place the blame at their feet.

Totally, although to be clear these monetization schemes are almost always something the publisher cooks up, not the dev, and I would place the blame at their feet.

Agreed, but again EA specifically knows they fucked up with Battlefront 2 and hurt their own sales. So again something positive for Anthem is having a publisher that would be more apt to remember "hey that thing we did really hurt our money pipeline."

I haven't played it, but does battlefield 5 have monetization stuff?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Agreed, but again EA specifically knows they fucked up with Battlefront 2 and hurt their own sales. So again something positive for Anthem is having a publisher that would be more apt to remember "hey that thing we did really hurt our money pipeline."

Only for cosmetics.

In fact, they go even further and have no DLC (maps) at all. All maps are free upon their release. There is no season pass.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Only for cosmetics.

In fact, they go even further and have no DLC (maps) at all. All maps are free upon their release. There is no season pass.

So that's good news for Anthem Monetization if that's how EA is handling battlefield right?

I can't recall if it was the division 2 or Anthem that already committed to no paid dlc in year 1. I think that was div 2.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    If it would stay as that I agree, but Shadow of War and Battlefront II (and Dungeon Keeper Mobile, which I only bring up because it was put out by EA) show us that publishers won't leave it at that and will happily make the entire game feel absolutely awful if you aren't shelling out regular infusions of cash to try and get some of that sweet sweet extra moolah.

Among this year's AAA titles, though, AC: Odyssey almost hits my sweet spot of how RMT should work. You can buy crafting mats, in-game currency, and XP boosts for Ubibucks (which are purchasable for Real Money). But... you'll have plenty of all those if you actually play the game. So... the P2W aspect of it is pretty nominal and clearly aimed at those who have a lot of discretionary income.

You can also buy some very nice cosmetics for Ubibucks as well (and can even obtain them without Ubibucks, via a time-gated loot box system that uses an in-game currency). And their ongoing business model seems to be rolling out new cosmetics, not by changing gameplay in a way that forces you to buy power-ups. All in all, it's pretty inoffensive. My only real issue with it is that cosmetics feel like they're 30 to 50% more expensive than what I'd consider fair, but... potential customers complaining about prices is a universal feature of markets, not just RMT video game stores.

That being said, AC: Odyssey is single-player only. If I were a video game publisher, I'd probably avoid selling power-ups in any sort of multi-player game.

htm on
    htm wrote: »
    If it would stay as that I agree, but Shadow of War and Battlefront II (and Dungeon Keeper Mobile, which I only bring up because it was put out by EA) show us that publishers won't leave it at that and will happily make the entire game feel absolutely awful if you aren't shelling out regular infusions of cash to try and get some of that sweet sweet extra moolah.

Among this year's AAA titles, though, AC: Odyssey almost hits my sweet spot of how RMT should work. You can buy crafting mats, in-game currency, and XP boosts for Ubibucks (which are purchasable for Real Money). But... you'll have plenty of all those if you actually play the game. So... the P2W aspect of it is pretty nominal and clearly aimed at those who have a lot of discretionary income.

You can also buy some very nice cosmetics for Ubibucks as well (and can even obtain them without Ubibucks, via a time-gated loot box system that uses an in-game currency). And their ongoing business model seems to be rolling out new cosmetics, not by changing gameplay in a way that forces you to buy power-ups. All in all, it's pretty inoffensive. My only real issue with it is that cosmetics feel like they're 30 to 50% more expensive than what I'd consider fair, but... potential customers complaining about prices is a universal feature of markets, not just RMT video game stores.

That being said, AC: Odyssey is single-player only. If I were a video game publisher, I'd probably avoid selling power-ups in any sort of multi-player game.

I don't mind power ups as long as like the leveling pace in game is manageable? Like for a game like Anthem getting to max level should be shortish because max level is where the real content should be (this is based on my destiny experience, maybe Anthem will break the mold and make leveling the real game but I severely severely doubt that).

Then again I'm enjoying ranking up in RDR 2, and that game has a masochistic leveling pace, though the "ranks" in that only give you access to other guns and such and not like actual hps or armor or anything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • htmhtm Registered User regular

I don't mind power ups as long as like the leveling pace in game is manageable? Like for a game like Anthem getting to max level should be shortish because max level is where the real content should be (this is based on my destiny experience, maybe Anthem will break the mold and make leveling the real game but I severely severely doubt that).

Then again I'm enjoying ranking up in RDR 2, and that game has a masochistic leveling pace, though the "ranks" in that only give you access to other guns and such and not like actual hps or armor or anything.

Yeah, RMT power-ups seem fine as long as not buying them isn't an impediment to game play. The general sense of the forum, though, is that publishers can't be trusted to maintain a business model where RMT power-ups aren't a requirement to succeed at the game.

That distrust is certainly a reasonable attitude. BF2, etc., proves that AAA publishers definitely wanted P2W to be a viable business model a few years ago and tried to foist it on us all. I think that the resulting backlash and the success of Fortnite, etc., have demonstrated that cosmetics are the best recurring revenue stream, though.

Anyway, BW has a long history of selling DLC and cosmetics packs and virtually no history of selling power-ups, so I'm pretty optimistic that Anthem won't have any P2W at all. I am, however, kind of worried about the best-looking cosmetics costing $10 or more.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That being said, I honestly would rather see pay-to-win items like crafting mats sold at exorbitant prices than for cosmetics to be expensive. If developers want to make their money preying on whales by selling minor power boosts, well... there's suckers born every minute. But FFS, don't make it too expensive for me to play Dress Up Dolls as part of the endgame.

I find this to be a dangerous route to walk down. If crafting mats can be bought at high prices, it creates an incentive to have materials that are hard to come by, thus driving sales of those. Every change that 'nerfs' a source of a given material, no matter how reasonable or well intentioned, comes across as another money grab. "Oh, they claim that the *insert item here*'s availability was causing unintended consequences, so they had to change it, but they really just want to sell more crafting material packages".

I've put over 1000 hours into Warframe. I get that "Fashionframe IS the Endgame". As I've said, I've paid real money on occasion, for convenience elements (frame/weapon/sentinel slots, the occasional purchased Frame when I couldn't be bothered with one of the more egregious grinds) and fashion. But as long as power (including crafting items) aren't part of it, I can also safely ignore it. I'm not falling behind because I haven't opened my wallet, and I simply don't trust groups overseen by EA to avoid the Siren's call of tweaking drop rates and whatnot to drive sales. And in the era of big data, I could totally see someone running the numbers and finding that if they tweak 'bottleneck thing X''s drop rate by 5%, they'll pick up an extra million a week or something.

Want to sell me a fashionable cloak for $5? Maybe. Fortnite is making a fucking killing selling dances, emotes, skins, and season passes (I don't play Battle Royale, but I'm tangentially aware of this element).

As with all things, there is a fine line to walk. And all of us have different priorities and means. One person's $20 or $50 'this is a Horse Armor Outrage!' is another's 'oh, fine, if that's what it takes to look my best on stream...'

But until we actually see the shop and know what the cost is, it's mostly just crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.

They've said that content patches would be free, but one potential 'pay for power' element they've admitted could be sold would be future Javelins. That too will be braced against every question. Is it overpowered? Are people finding that one (or more) of the Pay2Play Javelins are all but 'required' for certain content (even if not literally, by having abilities or specializations that make them incredibly useful to have on hand)? I hope not. I hope they walk that fine line and do it well.

But I'm not blind to how things can go. I played Battlefront 2 for a few months, and even with repeated massive slashes to how much characters cost, and improvements to daily loot bits and card crafting stuff, the grind wore on me. They're not the same game, and I'm hoping that the PVE/Co-op focus keeps it from being a major issue. I guess that's one reason to hope that PVP either never happens, or is kept to an entirely separate system (as Warframe mostly does it, I believe).

Titles, banners, vinyls, even skins or materials, there are lots of things they can use to incentivize players without it being direct avatar power.

I believe they have also said that all cosmetic items that can be purchased for real money will also be available to be earned in game as well. Perhaps we'll get some meager amount of the funbux per session or with dailies or something that allows us to eventually earn those items (though I fully expect new Javelins to be Cold Hard Cash Only).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    I've been considering getting a pre-order for the game since I first started to see some devstream stuff and got a beefy new computer, and I've been watching the ongoing progress of this game with interest.

Unrelated to this, I was also in the closed alpha test this weekend gone.

Unrelated to that, I...am almost definitely going to be sorting out some kind of pre-order for this game once I can work out the best option in the labyrinthine list of options available.

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
    unrelated to this, good for you! I'm already preordered on the Xbone because mech suits! I'm a simple creature.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I can't recall if it was the division 2 or Anthem that already committed to no paid dlc in year 1. I think that was div 2.

The Bioware lead said that there would be no paid story-line DLC for Anthem, ever. They don't want to segregate the player populations based on who does or does not have a certain expansion like in Destiny. Up until now the most they've said about paid DLC is that there will likely be things like new Javelin types that would be paid DLC.

Edit: They've also said that every Javelin customization, outside of the Legion of Dawn pre-order skins, will be earnable in-game. Take it with a grain of salt, or if they make them very time-consuming to get, etc., but they did say it was possible at least.

Simpsonia on
    Simpsonia wrote: »

The Bioware lead said that there would be no paid story-line DLC for Anthem, ever. They don't want to segregate the player populations based on who does or does not have a certain expansion like in Destiny. Up until now the most they've said about paid DLC is that there will likely be things like new Javelin types that would be paid DLC.

Edit: They've also said that every Javelin customization, outside of the Legion of Dawn pre-order skins, will be earnable in-game. Take it with a grain of salt, or if they make them very time-consuming to get, etc., but they did say it was possible at least.

Makes sense most games that have a premium currency have some way of in game earning it, usually at a glacial pace, but if its just for cosmetics its kind of "well someday".

I do like now paid DLC for story content, because yeah segregating player base on premium transactions is daft. I wouldn't mind paid Javelins as long as it isn't a situation of the DLC ones are vastly superior to the none paid ones.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    you cowards aren't LEAKING enough

Yeah, sorry. My gameplay footage (the accompanying commentary was mostly to record my thoughts and impressions of the game while I was playing it) has my account info splashed all over the screen. And I'd rather not lose my Origin library.

And, truth be told, the videos came in real handy for the feedback survey they sent out.

EDIT - also, thinking about it....

Don't we have a Bioware dude who's active on these forums? Yeah...no thanks.

I believe Gnome was being facetious.

i'm partially being facetious but also partially come on, give us the deets.

liEt3nH.png
  • GuilelessGuileless Registered User regular
    I am like 50-50 between this and The Division 2.

Guileless wrote: »

I bought both because I'm a shameless consumer whore.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Guileless wrote: »

I bought both because I'm a shameless consumer whore.

Coincidentally enough, it seems The Division 2 is having an alpha test in the near future.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft had the foresight to include in their NDA an entry barring even the general capture of gameplay footage. This is unfortunate.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

New dev stream going on right now, they are answering qs

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Darn it looks like its ending. But they were showing off the ranger, but they had some bugs so they couldn't' show off all the fun stuff.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kEqYPght4

Legion of Dawn trailer.

Yes, it's a trailer for the cosmetic DLC in the limited edition pack.

Actually touches a tiny bit on the lore of the game, and honestly, I'm glad they put that tiny bit of effort in.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I actually wanted to know more about the backstory and lore, hope it's all not buried in the codex and rather lacking in detail on top of that.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I actually wanted to know more about the backstory and lore, hope it's all not buried in the codex and rather lacking in detail on top of that.

I know they've shown in game they have lore collectibles and I swore they showed you you actually see them in game and not like on a companion app...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Forar wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kEqYPght4

Legion of Dawn trailer.

Yes, it's a trailer for the cosmetic DLC in the limited edition pack.

Actually touches a tiny bit on the lore of the game, and honestly, I'm glad they put that tiny bit of effort in.

Ok that armor looks cool! And hey a female hero of legend? Wow they can do that?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I like that her armor had WoW shoulders.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    I'm not complaining about digitigrade legs because they look great, but I do hope they address in game why the Javelins have those and not a vastly simpler standard human foot.

I'm not complaining about digitigrade legs because they look great, but I do hope they address in game why the Javelins have those and not a vastly simpler standard human foot.

Rules of cool!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Needs more chickenwalkers.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Needs more chickenwalkers.

Looks amazing but every step is pure agony.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I haven't looked into it. Are they all full humans in suits?

Cause I was more picturing warframes.

What is this I don't even.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I assumed the entire pilot was like nestled inside the chest cavity or something and that it wasn't an explicit full-body suit.

The promo videos made it look like power armor, not a mech.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The first gameplay they showed, the player walks up to one and climbs into the back and it closes around them.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    From the vids, your feet appear to be around the suit knee or so. They big.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yeah I went from "How do they manage to make jetpack powersuits look boring" to "Yeah okay I'm getting it" in the span of a weekend so I mean. I guess I'm down? Cautiously pessimistic? I'm in is what I'm saying.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The suits are basically Power Armor from Fallout streamlined.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's the closest we've come to an Iron Man game thus far.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The suits are basically Power Armor from Fallout streamlined.

Aside from both falling under "thing that a person wears" not even a little bit?

Yeah more Ironman suit, complete with like jet packs and on board computer systems.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Odyssey imo is low key the devil. The game has:
    -Expensive different versions including an "Ultimate" edition that doesn't include all the things.
    -Pre-order DLC
    -Cosmetic microtransactions
    -Pay to win (or just do better, faster) microtransactions
    -Paid DLC
    -Exclusive stuff from merchandise tie-ins (aka outside the game DLC)

And no, it being a fun game or this stuff being optional does not move my stone heart one iota. Fuck this business plan.

This discussion has been closed.