As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

RiusRius Globex CEONobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
edited May 2019 in Games and Technology
10472405015_2a0c5e457a_o.jpg

Path of Exile is a Free to Play action RPG with a large amount of character customization and playstyles. The developers have stated that they will never add "Pay-to-Win" features to the in-game store and generally the store contains cosmetic micro-transactions as well as some very useful account upgrades. It's not uncommon to see Path of Exile be cited as an example of Free-to-Play "done right".

The gameplay is similar to other ARPGs although it can be a little slow to start. Builds are often very involved and can include several unique items that play off one another to create powerful effects. There are three sub-classes for each of the main classes along with a massive passive tree that allows players to tune builds to their liking.

Current Content:

Useful Links:
The Unofficial Wiki.
The developer's player trading index site.
A third party player trading index site.
An online passive tree planner.
A calculator to help you figure out the most efficient way to recolor your item sockets with chromatic orbs.
The official forums.
An economic snapshot/price tracker tool.

Trading:
For the majority of players trading is facilitated by looking for items on a third party indexer called poe.trade. Once an item a player wants is found, they can whisper the seller (usually by clicking a link on the search page which auto-copies a message that can be pasted in the game client) to see if a trade can be made. Sometimes this process is quick and easy, other times it is extremely frustrating. The developers have been teasing about improvements to this system for some time, but at the moment any concrete information is absent.

To have items appear on poe.trade a player can purchase a premium stash from the in game store and then elect to have the contents of that stash tab be public which will allow indexers to see the items as well as any prices the owner may have set on those items. It is also possible to list items for sale without premium stash tabs, this can be done using a third party application: either Acquisition or Procurement. These tools can look through the items in your stash tabs and then auto-generate text to either be pasted in, or automatically posted to a sale thread on the forums. The sale thread will then be read by the indexer sites mentioned previously.

It's also possible to trade via trade chat or by trying to buy/sell things on the forums, but doing this is incredibly difficult and time consuming and not recommended. New players will also almost certainly be taken advantage of in either of those places immediately.

It's totally viable to play the entire game without trading at all. Many players do this, some use the newly added SSF (solo self found) feature which has a separate ladder and makes it impossible for the player to group or trade with others. Players can opt out of SSF mode at anytime, though they will be removed from the SSF ladder.

PA Guild:
There is a forum guild; to be invited, post one of your character names in the thread.

If you are a member of the guild, feel free to use the guild stash as you like, I generally put items in there that I would like anyone to take, and I assume most people do the same.

Many thanks to mccart for the OP; I'll add some things sooner or later.

Rius on

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    @Rius and I have been "duoing" the league and so far its the best start ive ever had

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Have you ever seen the true face of a new thread, exile?

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    @Rius and I have been "duoing" the league and so far its the best start ive ever had

This week has been hell on me trying to make any sizable progress, but I definitely want to group up some with people soon.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Have you ever seen the true face of a new thread, exile?

The old thread is an illusion, exile.

• Options
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2267735

*smiles in warchief totem serker*

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i still have the crap iron maiden hat from a jillion years ago time to get some use

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Man, Ice Shot sure is mediocre for how boring it is.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Y'all the best and should feel great.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    To the guy talking about the arc witch's build duel wield vs shield.

I'm currently level 67, on act 7 or 8 (the one with the moon/sun temples) and since going duel wield i am *very* squishy. I switched back to a shield and have not really noticed my DPS going down much and felt much more secure. I think duel wield is something for more experienced players. I'm still pretty new but i feel much more squishy this league than i did last league, which was my first. I've failed the cruel Lab twice, once, mostly just due to me misjudging the damage i would take from running across the lava trap (my resists werent great at the time), and second time on final boss, for no reason i can really give. Last league i went through cruel and merc pretty flawlessly and that was after beating the game so i was 30 resists worse than i am now. so something feels definately off about my survivability. I suggest going with a shield until you feel confident in your build. I've been using the leap slam but i think im going to try switching it for the whirling blades one cause the leap seems to take forever to trigger when im trying to get out of some hot garbage while surrounded.

I've got 20 chaos saved up. might be time to look at buying something nice. Did my first incursion temple...was kinda underwhelmed at the result. The final boss dropped a unique jewel that at first had me interested...it was the one that does -1 to each activated dex passive and + 15 mana to every unallocated dex passive in radius...then i realized i have no friggin place to use it that is useful at all in the arc witch build.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Man, Ice Shot sure is mediocre for how boring it is.

you cotta go uhhh

shaper +1 chain for socketed bow... +1 chain quiver... gloomfang... ricochet...

no lmp no gmp only one arrow bounce it off fucking SPACE

the thing i hate about ice shot is that the threshold adds pierce. i wish new snakepit worked on all projectiles or there was an attack version

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    azith28 wrote: »
    To the guy talking about the arc witch's build duel wield vs shield.

I'm currently level 67, on act 7 or 8 (the one with the moon/sun temples) and since going duel wield i am *very* squishy. I switched back to a shield and have not really noticed my DPS going down much and felt much more secure. I think duel wield is something for more experienced players. I'm still pretty new but i feel much more squishy this league than i did last league, which was my first. I've failed the cruel Lab twice, once, mostly just due to me misjudging the damage i would take from running across the lava trap (my resists werent great at the time), and second time on final boss, for no reason i can really give. Last league i went through cruel and merc pretty flawlessly and that was after beating the game so i was 30 resists worse than i am now. so something feels definately off about my survivability. I suggest going with a shield until you feel confident in your build. I've been using the leap slam but i think im going to try switching it for the whirling blades one cause the leap seems to take forever to trigger when im trying to get out of some hot garbage while surrounded.

I've got 20 chaos saved up. might be time to look at buying something nice. Did my first incursion temple...was kinda underwhelmed at the result. The final boss dropped a unique jewel that at first had me interested...it was the one that does -1 to each activated dex passive and + 15 mana to every unallocated dex passive in radius...then i realized i have no friggin place to use it that is useful at all in the arc witch build.

You don't have to listen to us, do your own thing! If shields work for you, run shields with Arc. I would recommend getting used to the idea of being squishy as fuck though, because it's going to catch up to you eventually. You need to learn the playstyle of the build, which is "fuck fuck fuck everything can kill me, bunnyhop away and lightning from a safe distance"

If you don't like that playstyle, I would suggest that maybe self-cast Arc is not the right skill for you. Play a tanky melee character who can survive any hits (juggernaut is usually good for this!). Necromancers are pretty tanky, especially the zombie + skeleton versions. Totem builds are pretty safe as well.

Edit: If Leap Slam feels slow to you, that means your Faster Attacks gem is still low level. It gets a lot better once you level it up more.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Okay, so someone please explain to me why the Dialla's Malfaction Unique item is worth less than the 6 linked white socket robe? It dropped for me and when i looked it up... .4c price? really? Granted you have to make it a 6 socket and link them, but once you do, its much more valuable than a Tabula Rasa.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    On the subject of totems I just started a Templar with the goal of being a totems-man. What are some fun/hilarious skills to put on a totems that aren't Arc?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Okay, so someone please explain to me why the Dialla's Malfaction Unique item is worth less than the 6 linked white socket robe? It dropped for me and when i looked it up... .4c price? really? Granted you have to make it a 6 socket and link them, but once you do, its much more valuable than a Tabula Rasa.

A six link without needing to spend 1500 fusings is pretty good, hey.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

Look up how many fusings it takes to 6 Link an item. I think it's somewhere in the range of 1200 fusings on average to get a 6 linked item. A chaos is usually worth about 2 fusings.

• Options
    On the subject of totems I just started a Templar with the goal of being a totems-man. What are some fun/hilarious skills to put on a totems that aren't Arc?

Freezing pulse totems looks pretty stupid. Ice Spear totems as well. Cold skills are looking pretty good right now with that new Bonechill gem.

• Options
    for a clearer view of the new snakepit interactions here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug188FNIVew&feature=youtu.be

i stuck on reddit if anybody is interested

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/a5ua2x/fun_spell_interactions_with_new_snakepit/

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Frawrst has been asking me what I want my second build to be this league and I'm pretty sure the answer is CI Melee Occultist

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm playing an Arc witch too, and I appreciate that it's an easy to gear build, with a ton of screenclear, and the guide is very good.
    The fact that it asks you to learn bosses seemed ok with me. That way you learn what's happening, and the bosses have large tells.

But reading the thread, it seems the build really does struggle with the Syndicate. The single target DPS isn't great, and the general buzz seems to be that the Syndicate DPS and Tank outscales the player starting mapping, and they become more dangerous and tedious.
    I have a hell of a time noticing enemy tells of the Syndicate in this game anyway, because I still only see the lightshow. And they often spawn when you're dealing with something else.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    They also wear dark colors and the spell effects blend into the light show.

I am happier the further I get that I picked a stand and bang class like Glad for my starter. Lancing steel also works great in delving as well. Once you get the range down so you can shotgun well enough it works great. Tonight I should be able to afford and play around with a high pdps beltimber blade. The trick is to find and get used to put ing that distance on your single target where your projectiles dont start to fan. Bosses just melt. And my block is getting better and better. Once I get uber lab done I may try to max them out and see.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Frawrst has been asking me what I want my second build to be this league and I'm pretty sure the answer is CI Melee Occultist

Yes embrace your inner spooky girl with a giant sword

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

GOTH FIGHT GOTH FIGHT

become the GOTH

do d/w cospris malice with frostbolt in one, ice nova in t'other, vortex as an instant cast arcane surge proccer and then a random coc skill (cyclone + static strike)

dispense spells, unleash the freeze, big dots big slows big fedora

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Flame Dash, it is amusing to have teleporting totems.

Right now I have an Ancestral Bond Heirophant going, using Armageddon Brand and Arc totems myself. Level 48 or so thus far, near the end of act 5. It is pretty cool. The passives that give both +x% damage to totems and +x% damage to brands stack both on brand totems.

Also if there is room in the guild, I wouldn't mind an invite. Won't be on much today or tomorrow, if at all, but I'll be around this weekend. My character I have been playing lately is StoreBrandTemplar

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I have a hell of a time noticing enemy tells of the Syndicate in this game anyway, because I still only see the lightshow.

Anybody who can tell easily what is going on in the Syndicate fights gotta be some sort of RL wizard or superman, that shit's just clouds and tornadoes and swirly trippy nonsense like some 1960s Doctor Strange comic.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    ignite prolif fireball has been great and cheap/free

also, supported flame dash kills things well

3L Arc fell off around level 45, so i was fortunate the transition worked

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I will say that I learned pretty quickly to spot the damn petrify statue g-damn.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I have a hell of a time noticing enemy tells of the Syndicate in this game anyway, because I still only see the lightshow.

Anybody who can tell easily what is going on in the Syndicate fights gotta be some sort of RL wizard or superman, that shit's just clouds and tornadoes and swirly trippy nonsense like some 1960s Doctor Strange comic.

most of the syndicate members have pretty big windup on their main attacks eg the huge haku overhead slam or the tora charged shots. after a bit i began to notice that so long as you keep an eye on the actual syndicate members and note when they stop you can avoid the most fiesta things, although occasionally stuff like the ground daggers just pops out and puts you in the bin anyway

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    So my plan today is to avoid Betrayal encounters using a decoy totem and phase run so I can get to maps

Really hope I don't get an intervention fight at like Kitava

Also it seems like you can avoid making any Syndicate members trusted so they don't spawn multiples. Which should cut down on random rips

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @Kayne Red Robe Glacial Cascade is legit.

Someone on the PoE forums did Elemental Hit.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I did RAT Ele Hit Totem as my starter prenerf when it was new. It carried me into uber elder and would have killed it easy if I had stayed with it and not gone ranger mid-late league. It would still work just fine as well. It pretty much trivialized the game almost as much as Poets Pen or Soulwrest does. It was really good.

They can also do channeling skills so you could do winters orb in it probably. I was going to mess around with that.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular

Ditto, been doing it all with a friend, we’ve made 20+ ex so far and have great items. It’s a lot of fun, we made a small guild where we just share most things in the guild tabs

• Options

freezing pulse, Glacial Cascade, Ice Spears are currently the "best non arc" builds

freezing with totems is OP

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I fucking love Einhar.

I really hate the Syndicate during the acts because they get cray overpowered unless you just interrogate constantly.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Have they fixed WO losing stacks on totems yet?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    Have they fixed WO losing stacks on totems yet?

Yeah I thought they hotfixed it.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular

Ditto, been doing it all with a friend, we’ve made 20+ ex so far and have great items. It’s a lot of fun, we made a small guild where we just share most things in the guild tabs

Good god, 20 ex? T_T

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »

Good god, 20 ex? T_T

Pac is what we call a lucky sob :)

• Options
    So, am right in assuming that any unique ring or jewel i get that is well...crap.... I might as well Vaal it in hopes it turns into something good?

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So, am right in assuming that any unique ring or jewel i get that is well...crap.... I might as well Vaal it in hopes it turns into something good?

There are some good uniques out there. Malachai's Artifice is an interesting one, as it gives you free elemental equilibrium on a single skill, and they got rid of the 40% effectiveness it had prior to 3.5. You can make a single element build, then stick one spell of a different element in MA and use it to lower the resistance of your main attacks. Your main attacks won't proc EE and undo the -resistance

Or just save up 60 unique rings to make a Loreweave at the vendor.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    if non-damaging ailment effect works as i hope with scorched/sapped/brittle you coudl do some really cool things with debuff skills and ele prolif

obF2Wuw.png