As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I blew my office manager's mind when I set up spreadsheets to automatically calculate values that she was adding by hand in a calculator and typing in the result into the spreadsheet.

Wait, the office manager didn't know the SUM function existed in Excel?

to be fair, if you aren't familiar with excel, it is a very confusing program

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I blew my office manager's mind when I set up spreadsheets to automatically calculate values that she was adding by hand in a calculator and typing in the result into the spreadsheet.

Wait, the office manager didn't know the SUM function existed in Excel?

She was a medical assist that kind of failed her way up to manager and was trained by the guy who quit and "that's just how I've always done it"

She was the one that was hand calculating timecards every day like we are warehouse workers and I finally convinced my boss to go high tech and get a computer based sign-in/out system and automatically dump that into the accounting software. She's using software from 1998 that I have bandaided to get to work because she doesn't know how to use anything else and wasn't trained on it. If I replace it I'm going to have to figure out how to do her job in it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Like if anyone ever had any doubts of their skillset just know as long as you can google and figure out how to do a part of your job, you're probably leaps and bounds ahead of 90% of your coworkers in most normal office situations that aren't offices filled with engineers or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sounds like the Librarian Code: give us a search engine and a five-minute head start, and we'll be an expert on anything except medicine, law, and the tax code.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Like if anyone ever had any doubts of their skillset just know as long as you can google and figure out how to do a part of your job, you're probably leaps and bounds ahead of 90% of your coworkers in most normal office situations that aren't offices filled with engineers or something.

Google has saved my ass in so many jobs its not funny. I have had a ton of issues with impostor syndrome because I just can't believe that's all it takes sometimes...?

We just had a teleprompter system break here and it was super embarrassing, in front of a very, very high VIP. They cancelled the shoot and rescheduled for 5 hours later, tried to call in special technicians, buy new equipment, everything.

...I googled "best free teleprompter for iPad" and installed it and plugged it into the monitor and literally people's minds were blown.

I have had 2 separate meetings where others have been like "Ok wait explain how you fixed it" since.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’ve learned that using google in itself is a skill, apparently!

Another thing that blows people’s minds: Any type of template.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    God fucking damn it. My less than one year old roof is leaking in two places, and a bit of the dry-verge fell off in the recent storms over here

From what I can tell it looks like it's just the flashing around a chimney and the flashing in a valley, but it's still not something I can fix myself other than put a bucket and some towels down

So now I've added another name to the list of people I'm waiting to call me back. So far the only person that has turned up when he said he would is the plasterer, and I don't need him until after the three others (plumber, electrician and now roofer) that I'm waiting on!

At least this happened before I started putting the plasterboard up

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hope you called the people that installed the roof.

So apparently buying a house causes you to receive dozens of scary-looking envelopes from very-official-sounding businesses that just turn out to be soliciting materials/spam. I have USPS Informed Daily Delivery Digest, so I get emails with photos of all the mail getting delivered to us, and I keep having small panic attacks because of how the envelopes look. The other afternoon I had convinced myself that I was receiving summons to court and it just turned out to be an insurance request in disguise.

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks of the whole "all property sales are a matter of public record" situation. There's a whole weird subindustry based around spamming new homeowners with predatory financial packages disguised as mortgage documents.

Although apparently most county assessor websites are specifically designed to resist casual scraping. Both the realtors at my closing agreed that the volume and uniformity of the spam in my county meant that one of their colleagues was selling industry database downloads to spammers, and they were pissed about it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yup.

We were also drowning in giant glossy political ads this fall too.

Our mail person at the condo would usually just dump the lot of them on a shelf, but now we get them hand delivered into our mailbox.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    Hope you called the people that installed the roof.

Yeah, they're coming out ASAP. The weather has been horrendous these past few days so as much as I want it fixed I can live with a bucket and some towels instead of having someone risk their life up a ladder in this wind

As pissed as I am about less than a year old flashing coming loose I'm not homicidal about it

What's especially weird is that the leak is in the same place as there was a pretty prominent leak when we first bought the place with the original roof. So there must be some inherent flaw about the design of the roof at that point. Hopefully they can come up with something that patches it up properly

In other news I've just dropped a sizeable amount of money on various gauges of electric cable. If that arrives over the weekend I should be able to get the first-fix for that done next week and then the only thing I'm waiting on is the plumber

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Father in law continues his work on the downstairs bathroom, old bathroom on the left:

ah3obu654zak.jpeg

Today he's reinstalled the toilet as he wasn't happy with how he did it last week, put in the sink and the shower.

Still got the shower panel to put on the bath and the bath panel. We'll also be adding a new cabinet above the toilet, blinds, toilet roll holder and brush etc. At least the toilet/sink is usable, don't need to worry too much about the blind yet as it's not overlooked and is fenced off.

Turns out the previous owners were using this bathroom for ages and there was a leak in the old toilet. When we got the keys there was a strong smell of piss for quite a while.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Speaking of excel, I inherited a spreadsheet awhile ago that's pretty intricate, but old.

It has a bunch of formulas that reference cells in other workbooks, and I discovered that all of the sources on the existing links were wrong, so nothing was being updated. I updated all the links, but there's one left that I can't break. I've checked in all the ways I know how to find where the link might be referenced in formulas, data validation, or conditional formatting, but I can't find anything. But until I break that link, the values from the linked workbooks aren't updating automatically when you open the spreadsheet like they should.

So do you need an exorcist then?

Because that spreadsheet sounds haunted to me

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Father in law continues his work on the downstairs bathroom, old bathroom on the left:

ah3obu654zak.jpeg

Today he's reinstalled the toilet as he wasn't happy with how he did it last week, put in the sink and the shower.

Still got the shower panel to put on the bath and the bath panel. We'll also be adding a new cabinet above the toilet, blinds, toilet roll holder and brush etc. At least the toilet/sink is usable, don't need to worry too much about the blind yet as it's not overlooked and is fenced off.

Turns out the previous owners were using this bathroom for ages and there was a leak in the old toilet. When we got the keys there was a strong smell of piss for quite a while.

I really like the new sink a lot.

Old toilet's like "Hey guys, what's up? Sure had a lot of great years together, right?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

Short of any other ideas I’m considering creating a new spreadsheet, copy/pasting all of the cells, and setting up new links with the ones I need.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

ah3obu654zak.jpeg

I really like the new sink a lot.

Thanks!

Father in law actually broke the first sink we was going to use but this one is much nicer so it worked out in the end! No more work from him for four weeks now as he's travelling home for Christmas.

We've bought new lights for the hallway today and wevet got a few more bit to buy. He'll be busy when he's back :P

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Why is the bathtub shaped that way? I've never seen that before.

It's the default bath shape when you have a shower over the top in the UK now.

I'm not a fan

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Short of any other ideas I’m considering creating a new spreadsheet, copy/pasting all of the cells, and setting up new links with the ones I need.

Are you manually searching for these links or using the Edit Links button from the Connections group in the Data tab on the Ribbon?

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I put up plastic over all the windows in the sunroom yesterday and to the cats' credit it took them almost four hours to put a hole in one of them.

Update: All plastic is now shredded. It had a good run.

Final Update: Perimeter has been irrevocably breached, containment now impossible. May god have mercy on our souls.

jpGGJ1I.jpg?1

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    God, this project is going to give me a heart attack.

The village suggested we schedule a final inspection and they'll come out and start pushing the GC to finish it up sooner rather than later. And we were waiting for the drainage for the currently unfinished stairs to get dug up for the inspection. The GC and the concrete contractor finally came out and dug out the drain tile for the currently unfinished stairs. Turns out it wasn't up to code. So last night I went out and took some pictures. And this morning, before the inspectors showed up we see the concrete guys out there with a shovel, saw and a hammer trying to dig up enough of the drainage to "fix" it before the inspectors show. So we take a video of them and showed it to the entire set of village inspectors. Once they realized we had them on video, they stop and now are wandering around with the inspectors looking pissed.

The village suggested we schedule a final inspection and they'll come out and start pushing the GC to finish it up sooner rather than later. And we were waiting for the drainage for the currently unfinished stairs to get dug up for the inspection. The GC and the concrete contractor finally came out and dug out the drain tile for the currently unfinished stairs. Turns out it wasn't up to code. So last night I went out and took some pictures. And this morning, before the inspectors showed up we see the concrete guys out there with a shovel, saw and a hammer trying to dig up enough of the drainage to "fix" it before the inspectors show. So we take a video of them and showed it to the entire set of village inspectors. Once they realized we had them on video, they stop and now are wandering around with the inspectors looking pissed.

It seems like that project has been going on for ages now. Does the GC basically owe you money now that it's overrun so much?

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Speaking of excel, I inherited a spreadsheet awhile ago that's pretty intricate, but old.

It has a bunch of formulas that reference cells in other workbooks, and I discovered that all of the sources on the existing links were wrong, so nothing was being updated. I updated all the links, but there's one left that I can't break. I've checked in all the ways I know how to find where the link might be referenced in formulas, data validation, or conditional formatting, but I can't find anything. But until I break that link, the values from the linked workbooks aren't updating automatically when you open the spreadsheet like they should.

Probably something buried in a hidden tab. My usual method for finding rogue links is to search for the "[" character since that is used in all external links and is never used in regular formulas.

steam_sig.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

It seems like that project has been going on for ages now. Does the GC basically owe you money now that it's overrun so much?

He still can't figure out the budget, so :question:. He's still burning the $50/day. So he's down about 3,500 right now and counting.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    edit: wrong threeead

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    my upstairs heater doesn't work anymore. good thing it's not cold as fuck.

houses were a mistake.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Simple! Just crank your downstairs heater as high as it'll go. Heat rises! Physics!

If you build a house a fire, it'll be warm for a day. If you set a house on fire, it'll be warm for the rest of its life.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If you build a house a fire, it'll be warm for a day. If you set a house on fire, it'll be warm for the rest of its life.

this strategy is sounding better by the day

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Also a great way to save on exterminator bills.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    IT's very windy here and the Thuja ferns I have in front of my house are banging really hard against the house

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If they want to come in out of the wind they could at least start by asking nicely.

We have a bush that scrapes up against our window and makes creepy noises late at night, so have to trim that back!

Also I witnessed the door making spooky noises this morning while I was standing right in front of it, so I could see it move, too. So phew, have absolutely 100% ruled out ghosts.

Well, you've ruled out shy ghosts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Pay no attention to the ghost behind the door.

• twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for the issue I'm facing?

We're moving out of a rental next week. Over the past year, a telephone pole up the street has started leaning, and consequently, the lines (everything but the power wire at the top; cable for multiple companies, telephone, guide wires, etc) attached to the pole have progressively dropped lower and lower over/across our driveway. Those lines are, right now, about 7 feet above our driveway. High enough for a sedan to get underneath, NOT high enough for the moving truck we need next week.

We've been calling our utilities and cable company since Nov 4 requesting they assess and conduct whatever repairs are needed. Our utility came out almost immediately, and told us that the power wire is the only wire with proper placement - we need to contact the other companies using that pole. We did so. After calling nearly every three days for a month, Verizon finally came out and tightened their lines today.

We still have a Comcast cable line that has not been fixed. We're not Comcast customers, but we have a repair ticket open. However, it's been open since the beginning of November, and for the past two weeks, I've been calling every other day asking them to get out here and attend to their issue (spending on average 30 minutes each phone call to simply get through to someone, have them look up the ticket, then tell me it will be sent to a field technician). They simply refuse to do so.

(I've also asked my closest neighbors who are Comcast customers if they would call on my behalf, since as customers, Comcast may have an incentive - however small - to respond to their requests. I've gotten a lot of "not my fault, not my problem" responses, so that assistance isn't an option.)

We'll be charged an exorbitant fee by the moving company if they can't get a truck into our driveway to load our large pieces of furniture, and have to walk our stuff out to the street in order to load it.

I'm kind of at my wits end. If this isn't fixed tomorrow, I'm considering rash actions like figuring out how to cut a cable line safely , or how to pull a line down from a utility pole without killing myself.

Anyone have any ideas that won't end up with me becoming Electro?

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    There's no power running through cable wires.

I would call police or fire, and explain how it's going to be a safety concern when the moving truck comes, and may pull down the pole or otherwise cause damage. They would have emergency contacts for those companies to get things done.

If they won't help, well, you tried, and can't be blamed if it comes down.

The other option is to find out from the power utility or city who owns the pole, and they would have power to get them to come fix it as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for the issue I'm facing?

We're moving out of a rental next week. Over the past year, a telephone pole up the street has started leaning, and consequently, the lines (everything but the power wire at the top; cable for multiple companies, telephone, guide wires, etc) attached to the pole have progressively dropped lower and lower over/across our driveway. Those lines are, right now, about 7 feet above our driveway. High enough for a sedan to get underneath, NOT high enough for the moving truck we need next week.

We've been calling our utilities and cable company since Nov 4 requesting they assess and conduct whatever repairs are needed. Our utility came out almost immediately, and told us that the power wire is the only wire with proper placement - we need to contact the other companies using that pole. We did so. After calling nearly every three days for a month, Verizon finally came out and tightened their lines today.

We still have a Comcast cable line that has not been fixed. We're not Comcast customers, but we have a repair ticket open. However, it's been open since the beginning of November, and for the past two weeks, I've been calling every other day asking them to get out here and attend to their issue (spending on average 30 minutes each phone call to simply get through to someone, have them look up the ticket, then tell me it will be sent to a field technician). They simply refuse to do so.

(I've also asked my closest neighbors who are Comcast customers if they would call on my behalf, since as customers, Comcast may have an incentive - however small - to respond to their requests. I've gotten a lot of "not my fault, not my problem" responses, so that assistance isn't an option.)

We'll be charged an exorbitant fee by the moving company if they can't get a truck into our driveway to load our large pieces of furniture, and have to walk our stuff out to the street in order to load it.

I'm kind of at my wits end. If this isn't fixed tomorrow, I'm considering rash actions like figuring out how to cut a cable line safely , or how to pull a line down from a utility pole without killing myself.

Anyone have any ideas that won't end up with me becoming Electro?

You're going to have to lie. Call and tell them the line has fallen on the ground and is getting run over by cars, if you need to. Make it sound as bad and pressing as you need to to get them to send someone out.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.