As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    1) see who owns the pole, It's usually the the power company, they have a duty to make the other tenants comply to safety.

2) just let the moving truck tear it down, it's in violation of code so comcast is at fault nbd

zkHcp.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a line hanging down to just 7 feet above the ground is almost 100% a code violation in any city.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses, folks.

We're going to give the FD a call and let them know that the line is coming down on Wednesday, unless they have a back-end line to get in touch with Comcast and compel them to come out and address the line.

Otherwise, seems like there's nothing to worry about it the moving truck yanks it down, which is a pretty huge weight off my back.

Thanks, y'all!

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Pay no attention to the ghost behind the door.

Or you could help solve his murder. He's in a real jamb.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My nest sent me a message and said "hey your furnace keeps losing power every 15 minutes, change your air filter. If you don't change it soon your furnace might actually break down and cost lots of money to repair" (I hadn't done it yet since I bought the place) and well what do you know that fixed it.

Thanks smart home!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2018
    Here's what its heating history looked like, you can see the difference as soon as I changed it

Gor43w9.png

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    My nest sent me a message and said "hey your furnace keeps losing power every 15 minutes, change your air filter. If you don't change it soon your furnace might actually break down and cost lots of money to repair" (I hadn't done it yet since I bought the place) and well what do you know that fixed it.

Thanks smart home!

That's... actually awesome!

I installed one of the new Automatics in my car a while back -- the new one with its own GPS and cellular radio, so I can get updates on my car starting/parking even when my phone isn't in the car. It was super handy when the mechanic at the dealership said they were billing me for 9 hours of labor (8am - 5pm) on my car, but I could see that it wasn't moved from their lot until noon, worked on for two hours, and then driven to starbucks, where it was parked for an hour, then back to the shop, worked on for one more hour, then parked back in the lot at 4pm.

I can't recommend these thermostats enough. They are so amazing. They add so much value and pay for themselves within a few months just because of how much more power they have over even programmable thermostats.

Can you imagine? There's no way anyone's really paying attention to how frequently their furnace is turning on and off especially on 15 minute intervals. And in probably another month, in the dead of winter, it'd probably fail and I'd have to get someone out in an emergency and it'd probably cost me a few hundred dollars. All of which could be fixed by a $20 air filter. These things literally pay for themselves even if you're just a renter, the energy savings are intense, the avg bill for this house was $300 for the winter, mine is about $150 and while it's not -10f yet, it's about 0-10f when I wake up so it's pretty close. I could buy a nest every other month. Every month with my power company's rebate.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Thanks smart home!

That's... actually awesome!

I installed one of the new Automatics in my car a while back -- the new one with its own GPS and cellular radio, so I can get updates on my car starting/parking even when my phone isn't in the car. It was super handy when the mechanic at the dealership said they were billing me for 9 hours of labor (8am - 5pm) on my car, but I could see that it wasn't moved from their lot until noon, worked on for two hours, and then driven to starbucks, where it was parked for an hour, then back to the shop, worked on for one more hour, then parked back in the lot at 4pm.

*googles....adds new tech item to wishlist*

edited December 2018
    Yeah, they're really cool, and SO much more useful now that they don't require a cell phone tether to work. And they're actually not insanely expensive. They also check and clear engine codes, which is awesome.

FYI - I think the Automatic Pro is the one I have. The non-pro version still requires a connection to a cell phone.

minor incident on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thanks for the responses, folks.

We're going to give the FD a call and let them know that the line is coming down on Wednesday, unless they have a back-end line to get in touch with Comcast and compel them to come out and address the line.

Otherwise, seems like there's nothing to worry about it the moving truck yanks it down, which is a pretty huge weight off my back.

Thanks, y'all!

I was about to suggest that you've done everything in your power to do it the right way (even alerting your Comcast-using neighbours) but every step of the way someone has been shitty about it. So if in the middle of the night that cable was to become unexpectedly untethered and trail on the floor then you've already tried your best to warn the company

What you should most definitely not do is go and trim your hedges / trees / bushes at night with a pair of sturdy secateurs and absolutely not go buck wild clipping at something that is only just above head-height and a literal danger to you and anyone trying to access your property

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    The problem with projects nearing completion is that you need to start getting materials. When you're trying to keep costs down and do as much as you can yourself you end up having to haul a lot of stuff around. At least with the plumbing it was just a few copper pipes and some insulation, and with the electrics it was a few reels of varying grade cable. I thought I'd done the last of the heavy lifting when I took 43 lengths of 3x2 up there.

So with that in mind, this is going to be painful. I'm knackered and all I've done so far is help the delivery guy move this lot from the back of the low-loader into the house.

vBSTStkl.jpg

g91bbiZl.jpg

That's 15 insulated boards (that I need to cut down from 2400mm long to 1800mm to get into the loft), which will be 30 trips up and down the stairs. 13 25kg bags of board finish plaster. 43 trips. And 37 1800mm plasterboard that I should be able to take two at a time so 19 trips. 62 trips in total.

I've also got to tidy up the loft a bit to clear out all the rubbish that's accumulated so before I can even start I'm going to have to be hauling all my scrap wood and rubbish down

Ugggh

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It sounds like you might should bribe a few burly mates with their refreshments and dinner of choice for an afternoon of a bit of hard work and stick-with-it-iveness.

Unfortunately it's Christmas party season so of the two I could count on to be able to be bribed into helping one is out Friday and the other Saturday. I'm out all day Sunday and then the plasterers are supposed to start Monday. Maybe

I'll get it done but I'll complain about it for weeks afterwards

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    reminds me of finishing our attic

it will be exactly as big a pain in the ass as you're expecting

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My parents had construction on their retirement house start in May, with the promise from the contractor that they'd be in there mid november.
    Then delayed to December 1st.
    Then to December 14th.

And we were all really looking forward to having christmas in their new house.
    Then we were told it'd be mid january, due to more delays and them stopping work on the 19th for the holidays.
    Somehow knowing the house is like one week away from being done is even more annoying than if there were like a month and a half of work left. And that one week involves a bunch of the cabinets so we can't even move them in so that they could be living there while the work is finished.

Psykoma on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm knackered and all I've done so far is help the delivery guy move this lot from the back of the low-loader into the house.
    Drywall is one of those substances that is far heavier than it has any right to be.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I can’t imagine how laborious that all is, @SporkAndrew but I did want to say that your house there is looking beautiful. What a lovely entryway.

• twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    So... we just closed on a house.

0482h68uwkq4.png

e5g9hc4uz4vg.png

Very exited to be join the ranks of those suffering from crippling, suffocating debt.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh man, I want that house!

PSN: jfrofl
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It cost a bit more than I was expecting, but we had a plumber out to replace the front outside faucet - it had been leaking for like a year now. I might have been able to figure it out myself but honestly I'm glad to just have a professional do it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I love the "surprise! Extra floor from the back!" aesthetic for houses.

Psykoma wrote: »
    I love the "surprise! Extra floor from the back!" aesthetic for houses.

The place we had when I were a wee unit was on the side of a valley. It was a two storey place but then on each storey just about every room was on a different level. The front door was the highest point in the house.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That looks like a beautiful house, congratulations!

I'm knackered and all I've done so far is help the delivery guy move this lot from the back of the low-loader into the house.
    Drywall is one of those substances that is far heavier than it has any right to be.

The 6x3 sheets are 14kg each. When I cut the 8x4 down to 6x4 it's about 28kg with the added insulation

I took the 13 bags of plaster up last night, ten of the 6x3s and 5 of the slices cut down from the 8x4

My arms turned to jelly and I couldn't brush my teeth properly

I am definitely not built for this

The 6x3 sheets are 14kg each. When I cut the 8x4 down to 6x4 it's about 28kg with the added insulation

I took the 13 bags of plaster up last night, ten of the 6x3s and 5 of the slices cut down from the 8x4

By the time you've finished and you'll never have to do it again, you probably will be.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ugh, got an estimate to retile my kitchen floor and it's twice as much as I expected. Unless the next guy is significantly cheaper I guess I'm fixing it myself. Groan

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    pimento wrote: »

By the time you've finished and you'll never have to do it again, you probably will be.

Means I'm going to be ripped and able to roll that paint on no problem

Or able to carry the paint pots up without too much of a struggle, anyway

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Ugh, got an estimate to retile my kitchen floor and it's twice as much as I expected. Unless the next guy is significantly cheaper I guess I'm fixing it myself. Groan

I don't know if you are dead set on tile floor, but that snap board system is super easy. It's my plan if/when I have to do flooring.

PSN: jfrofl
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The tricky part will be the seams to the other rooms. I was hoping to keep it totally smooth but I have no confidence in my ability to match up the levels.

91v2et1s5etm.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

I don't know if you are dead set on tile floor, but that snap board system is super easy. It's my plan if/when I have to do flooring.

The problem with doing wood or laminate in the kitchen is the probability of water on it. This is why, even though it’s more expensive to install, my kitchen and bathrooms are tile. Laminate, in particular, is not going to fare well if it gets really wet for any reason.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

Thanks smart home!

Your posts reminded me of my awful thermostat that I just figured I had to live with. I always assumed that changing out thermostats wouldn't be possible without a professional....but I just looked up the process and it's actually extremely simple!?

That price is.....a lot! But then again, the specific issue with my rental thermostat is that it's constantly heating too much and cooling too much, way beyond what is reasonable...so it seems I'd get a pretty great cost savings as well! And since I can just take the Nest with me to future places, it actually seems like a good purchase for me to make.

Thanks bowen!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Just make sure your current thermostat has a c wire. Nest says they can work without it but in my experience it leads to a lot of issues with dead batteries and power cycling furnaces and stuff.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Just make sure your current thermostat has a c wire. Nest says they can work without it but in my experience it leads to a lot of issues with dead batteries and power cycling furnaces and stuff.

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked, and it does :)

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Also if you're interested in Ecobee they have a neat tool where you input the current wiring of your thermostat and it tells you if that will work with an Ecobee or any required changes you'll need to make, which is helpful.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wrong thread

SharpyVII on
    27 sheets up. 10 to go

Tomorrow I need to find some time during the day to cut down the 8x4 as a friend is coming over later on in the evening to hopefully get those 15 sheets up

I made the mistake of sitting down for a drink and now my legs are refusing to let me get back up

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My dad came over and helped me install our Ecobee 3-lite today, nice to finally have a thermostat that wasn't made 40 years ago but also doesn't have to be connected to the internet. It's very cool! Nice nuance for settings and will finally let us use the upstairs temperature to set programs while we're sleeping since we have some wireless sensors for it.

Naturally I gave the thermostat itself and the sensors fantasy bullshit names because of course :D

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    My dad came over and helped me install our Ecobee 3-lite today, nice to finally have a thermostat that wasn't made 40 years ago but also doesn't have to be connected to the internet. It's very cool! Nice nuance for settings and will finally let us use the upstairs temperature to set programs while we're sleeping since we have some wireless sensors for it.

Naturally I gave the thermostat itself and the sensors fantasy bullshit names because of course :D

Gondor calls for heat!

Eh the scare is overstated, I've had it working for 2 years without a C wire with no problems and without overpressuring the system too.

This discussion has been closed.