As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really with sega hauling out various games of the 16 bit era
    Yes it would have been nice to play the Phantasy Star with the PS1 era stuff it might come who knowns The rest of the Phantasy Star 16 bit games I wait and see.

Why not Shining Force? Not what it turned into but the grid tactics game it was. Why not 1 2 and CD I think 3 was on the Saturn but I still want all 3 parts in English

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I apparently had Adventures of Lolo confused with Clu Clu Land all this time. I choose to blame spherical protagonists.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if I need a family subscription to bring more than one person online? Say if me and my wife want to play Mario tennis against some friends. Can I just buy a subscription for myself, or do I need a second one for her.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The new NMH is kinda like Metroid Federation Force: not a terrible idea on its own, but not the thing you put out when the main series has been MIA for many years.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if I need a family subscription to bring more than one person online? Say if me and my wife want to play Mario tennis against some friends. Can I just buy a subscription for myself, or do I need a second one for her.

From the Nintendo FAQ:

If I own multiple Nintendo Switch systems, will I need a separate membership for each one?

No. Nintendo Switch Online can be used on any device by signing in with the Nintendo Account that purchased the membership.

If I purchase a Family Membership, how do my family members access the Nintendo Switch Online service?

You can set up a family group of up to eight total Nintendo Accounts via your Nintendo Account settings. That way, everyone in your family group can use the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

If you and her both want to play online then I'm almost positive you both need to have a subscription for both of you. If you want to test the waters and see if she'd like it you could always sign up for the 1 week trial of the Nintendo Switch Online.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think it's on a game-by-game basis though. I feel like I heard at one point there was at least one game you could play multiplayer together online with only one online account, and it may even have been Tennis. Depends on whether each player has their own save file/account, or if player 2 is explicitly a guest?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Wait, if the family sub doesn't let all the members play online then what is the point of it? I thought that was the reason to get it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Yes it would have been nice to play the Phantasy Star with the PS1 era stuff it might come who knowns The rest of the Phantasy Star 16 bit games I wait and see.

Why not Shining Force? Not what it turned into but the grid tactics game it was. Why not 1 2 and CD I think 3 was on the Saturn but I still want all 3 parts in English

Genesis Collection on Switch includes Shining Force I and II, plus Shining in the Darkness.

I'm thinking I may need to pick this thing up. It's $30 and it's going to be like having a permanent, portable Sega Channel in my pocket.

Complete list of titles:
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Alien Soldier, Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Beyond Oasis, Bio-Hazard Battle, Bonanza Bros., Columns, Columns III: Revenge of Columns, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Decap Attack, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Dynamite Headdy, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Gain Ground, Galaxy Force II, Golden Axe, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Gunstar Heroes, Kid Chameleon, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Ristar, Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining in the Darkness, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier II, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade, Sword of Vermilion, The Revenge of Shinobi, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, ToeJam & Earl, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy in Monster World

I have pretty strong (positive) feelings about almost 30 of those, and I was always too young to appreciate stuff like Phantasy Star. The only things it's really, really missing are Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Klax, and General Chaos. Put out a Volume II that includes 32X games and put Shadow Squadron, Star Wars Arcade, After Burner, Knuckles' Chaotix, NBA Jam, Primal Rage and Motherbase 2000 on there and we'll be in business x2.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Wait, if the family sub doesn't let all the members play online then what is the point of it? I thought that was the reason to get it.

A family sub is just a bundle of 8 subs at a steep discount. So when honky said they both needed a subscription, a family sub would cover that, and have 6 subs left over to give out to anyone else they know.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

A family sub is just a bundle of 8 subs at a steep discount. So when honky said they both needed a subscription, a family sub would cover that, and have 6 subs left over to give out to anyone else they know.

Ah okay, okay.

I just misunderstood then.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Ah okay, okay.

I just misunderstood then.

I'm not very good at talking between 3pm EST and 10am EST.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

From the Nintendo FAQ:

If I own multiple Nintendo Switch systems, will I need a separate membership for each one?

No. Nintendo Switch Online can be used on any device by signing in with the Nintendo Account that purchased the membership.

If I purchase a Family Membership, how do my family members access the Nintendo Switch Online service?

You can set up a family group of up to eight total Nintendo Accounts via your Nintendo Account settings. That way, everyone in your family group can use the Nintendo Switch Online service.

I do not own multiple Switch systems, so this does not appear to answer my question, unfortunately.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Looks like Tales of Vesperia preload is live

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Genesis Collection on Switch includes Shining Force I and II, plus Shining in the Darkness.

I'm thinking I may need to pick this thing up. It's $30 and it's going to be like having a permanent, portable Sega Channel in my pocket.

Complete list of titles:
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Alien Soldier, Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Beyond Oasis, Bio-Hazard Battle, Bonanza Bros., Columns, Columns III: Revenge of Columns, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Decap Attack, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Dynamite Headdy, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Gain Ground, Galaxy Force II, Golden Axe, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Gunstar Heroes, Kid Chameleon, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Ristar, Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining in the Darkness, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier II, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade, Sword of Vermilion, The Revenge of Shinobi, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, ToeJam & Earl, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy in Monster World

I have pretty strong (positive) feelings about almost 30 of those, and I was always too young to appreciate stuff like Phantasy Star. The only things it's really, really missing are Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Klax, and General Chaos. Put out a Volume II that includes 32X games and put Shadow Squadron, Star Wars Arcade, After Burner, Knuckles' Chaotix, NBA Jam, Primal Rage and Motherbase 2000 on there and we'll be in business x2.

Your post reminded me of this and made me suddenly want to get it again, but then I remembered some of the things I'd read about it which made me think twice again.

First of all, the Switch release does not include Wonder Boy 3 or Wonder Boy in Monster World, unlike the Xbox and PS releases. Confirmed by Sega, no explanation given. This is a huge loss, the games are beautiful and really fun.

Secondly, there are tons of reports online of massive, horrible input lag on the games, to the point of even making tile-based RPGs like Shining Force unplayable. People desperately searching for things that might help like putting the Switch in airplane mode or playing with the joycons attached so there's no wireless...anything. And one guy at reddit did say 18 hours ago that there was a patch that maybe possibly (placebo effect?) made things a little better. But...I dunno.

It's crazy because none of the reviews mentioned the lag, and people in comments sections are like uh guys, you said it performed perfectly...?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Complete list of titles:

Your post reminded me of this and made me suddenly want to get it again, but then I remembered some of the things I'd read about it which made me think twice again.

First of all, the Switch release does not include Wonder Boy 3 or Wonder Boy in Monster World, unlike the Xbox and PS releases. Confirmed by Sega, no explanation given. This is a huge loss, the games are beautiful and really fun.

Secondly, there are tons of reports online of massive, horrible input lag on the games, to the point of even making tile-based RPGs like Shining Force unplayable. People desperately searching for things that might help like putting the Switch in airplane mode or playing with the joycons attached so there's no wireless...anything. And one guy at reddit did say 18 hours ago that there was a patch that maybe possibly (placebo effect?) made things a little better. But...I dunno.

It's crazy because none of the reviews mentioned the lag, and people in comments sections are like uh guys, you said it performed perfectly...?

The reason seems obvious to me. The remake of Wonder Boy 3 sold separately at $20 is a massive seller on Switch. Less so anywhere else.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/305407/Switch_version_of_Wonder_Boy_outsells_all_other_platforms_combined.php

• Options
    Well yeah, I kinda figured it might have something to do with the other Wonder Boy projects going on recently.

Still I am actually considering getting it anyway, because then I can also get the newly-released Phantasy Star 1, and then have all the good Phantasy Star games at once.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

But that's one year away!!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Oh shiiii I almost forgot about Vesperia. I am so excited to play through that again.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Just a heads up Amazon has a 5% discount coupon available for the physical version as well.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Just a heads up Amazon has a 5% discount coupon available for the physical version as well.

Some of us got a 20% discount coupon on the physical version...before they took that away. 8-)

...Amazon jerks.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Belk cancelled my sister's Switch order due to limited stock and the website kept the listing up for longer than they had stock.

SO I'm on the hunt for another cheap switch bundle until I just get a retail one next week. If anyone spots a good bundle, please post and tag <3 I already got Zelda, Let's Go, and Smash for her.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Only thing I see is Walmart throwing in two cheap controllers for free.
    https://r.zdbb.net/u/8gfz

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah I saw that. Belk is still "pending charge" so I'm waiting to see if that was just an automated response that they were sending out to everyone or if my order actually went through and shipped and they just didn't email me.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    @Sir Landshark somebody asked customer service and got the following answer:
    (...) Using Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as a specific example, if your user on your Nintendo Switch system is linked to a Nintendo Account that does have a membership, you and your friend will both be able to play online as long as your user is the one that's selected when you are first starting the game from the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu.(...)

So it seeeeeeems like if the game allows you to play online with multiple people, you only need the one subscription.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm going to try to write this out so future people hopefully have a clear answer
    Console A is Pailryder's Console. There's a Pailryder user and also other generic users like "Old Man"
    Console B is Joe's Console.
    Joe and Pailryder are in a family account.
    Pailryder buys Mario Kart digital.
    Pailryder logs on to Joe's Console (B) with Pailryder's account and downloads Mario Kart.
    Joe can use Pailryder's account to play Mario Kart on Console B
    Pailryder can use generic account "Old Man" to play on Console A

There might be other ways to do things but it's just like Xbox and Sony's setup as far as i can tell.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Oh, super, just what we needed: More discontinued services and fragmented account info.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Oh, super, just what we needed: More discontinued services and fragmented account info.

My thinking is less cynical and more, “Finally a redisgn of that awful eShop.”

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I went ahead and bought that Sega collection and I can confirm there is input lag. Whether it is bad enough that it matters to me is yet to be seen. I played Columns for about 15 minutes with no issue but things didn't get real fast. I played Alex Kidd just to see the lag situation and controlling it definitely felt weird. And Shining Force was the weirdest of all, a turn based tile based RPG that felt hard to just walk around in. I think it was originally coded strangely for movement anyway, the original didn't feel laggy as such but it never felt quite perfect, like the game was waiting every few milliseconds to check your controller input so if you were lucky you took off instantly and if not it took an instant to get going. So I think now it's lag combined with the movement engine. Phantasy Star 2 felt fine by comparison.

Also there's a strange sense that the music is constantly trying to catch up with itself? It's not something really obvious, just a vague feeling. Like maybe the lead instrument is 1 or 2 milliseconds behind or ahead of where it should be. It sounds better than I expected but just very slightly off in a way I can't articulate.

However in spite of all this I mostly got it for the RPGs where lag issues won't impact the game much.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    All I got from the link is that they're probably changing the name
    no signs of any major remodels.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    All I got from the link is that they're probably changing the name
    no signs of any major remodels.

If anything, they'd find a way to make it worse.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm going to try to write this out so future people hopefully have a clear answer
    Console A is Pailryder's Console. There's a Pailryder user and also other generic users like "Old Man"
    Pailryder logs on to Joe's Console (B) with Pailryder's account and downloads Mario Kart.

There might be other ways to do things but it's just like Xbox and Sony's setup as far as i can tell.

Man, it's early and I'm only 1 coffee deep but this is still super confusing to me.

I wish I could just delete all of my data from one console, factory reset it, and transfer everything to my new console. They have to be thinking about this stuff, what with having a portable console subject to tons of wear and tear.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Pailryder wrote: »

Man, it's early and I'm only 1 coffee deep but this is still super confusing to me.

I wish I could just delete all of my data from one console, factory reset it, and transfer everything to my new console. They have to be thinking about this stuff, what with having a portable console subject to tons of wear and tear.

I think it's made worse by being specific.

What's being discussed here is nothing to do with transferring save data, it's just about who has the right to play what game on what system.

Just know that you can log into any Switch console with your user account which has bought games, and redownload and play those games when logged in as that user. Pretty sure if you are paying for online you can pull down your cloud saves too.

If you want all your stuff to be on a new console, you can do the things you're talking about, just in reverse. First transfer everything to your new console, then factory reset the old one.

At this point the transfer is mostly so you don't have to take the time to redownload everything. Instead it's direct from one Switch to the other so it's quicker.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I saw that. Belk is still "pending charge" so I'm waiting to see if that was just an automated response that they were sending out to everyone or if my order actually went through and shipped and they just didn't email me.

Wait, whoa! Hold up a minute there champ. Did you say Belk? Like, that company is still around? How?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Wait, whoa! Hold up a minute there champ. Did you say Belk? Like, that company is still around? How?

He's posting from 1996

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited December 2018
      Honestly thinking about it further, as long as you're paying for the cloud saves and double check that everything is backed up on there properly, Switch transfers are probably unnecessary now, right?

You do this to deregister your current Switch and then you throw it into the ocean. You buy a new one. You make the new Switch your primary console and go on the shop and download all your games, and then download the cloud saves.

I think all you would lose in this case are screenshots and videos you've saved to the old SD card if you didn't remove it first.

But personally I would do the Switch-to-Switch transfer just to be sure that nothing goes wrong in the process, and because it's faster. I wouldn't want to NOT have my Switch with everything on it in my possession, I don't trust internet services that completely. However it seems unlikely that anything would go wrong.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

He's posting from 1996

You figured me out. I dunno, Dover! I've never heard of them before this week. I think they're a clothing distributor that is branching out into tech for kids?

• Options
      Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
      As a huge fan of the original two No More Heroes games, I feel like I should be a lot more hyped about this than I actually am. I guess 'Travis plays through a bunch of old-fashioned games' doesn't really appeal to me?

I, at least, still have faith in Suda.
      No I would guess a lot of fans of the other games see it as sort of a misstep. They want an evolution on the same gameplay, not a bunch of minigames.

Now don't get me wrong, I really liked the gameplay in NMH and Desperate Struggle.

However

I would be lying if I didn't say that the real draw was the art design and gonzo storytelling.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    • Options
      twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

He's posting from 1996

You figured me out. I dunno, Dover! I've never heard of them before this week. I think they're a clothing distributor that is branching out into tech for kids?

they're a department store ala Macy's but regional...I think. I'd never heard of them before I moved to SC, but they're here.

• Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
      Honestly thinking about it further, as long as you're paying for the cloud saves and double check that everything is backed up on there properly, Switch transfers are probably unnecessary now, right?

You do this to deregister your current Switch and then you throw it into the ocean. You buy a new one. You make the new Switch your primary console and go on the shop and download all your games, and then download the cloud saves.

I think all you would lose in this case are screenshots and videos you've saved to the old SD card if you didn't remove it first.

But personally I would do the Switch-to-Switch transfer just to be sure that nothing goes wrong in the process, and because it's faster. I wouldn't want to NOT have my Switch with everything on it in my possession, I don't trust internet services that completely. However it seems unlikely that anything would go wrong.

Some games don't support cloud saves, for reasons. Reasons like "fuck you!" Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee for example.

BahamutZERO.gif