As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This language has been used already in the Knight codex and confirmed that a super heavy detachment is anything that is not an auxillary detachment. I think they even have clarifications in the FAQs on this as well.

I'm having a hard time finding a clear answer. Some codexes mention that Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachments don't get certain benefits (klan kultures, objective secured, etc), and some mention that Auxiliary Support Detachments (which are distinct from Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachments) don't get things like chapter tactics or strategems, but RAW I'm not seeing anything the differentiates a Super Heavy Detachment from a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment outside of situations where it is explicitly called out.

Mainly I'm trying to find a clear, concise answer because I'm sure it'll come up in the future.
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I think formations will be universally accepted by everyone, this will be the format of new post codex content after all.

I think more people will be onboard with formations once their army gets a few. I think for a while playing armies that have them versus armies that don't will feel a little bit like early 8th Edition where you had Index armies and Codex armies, but hopefully they release more quickly so no one feels left out.

SmokeStacks on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Superheavy auxiliary and superheavy detachments are clearly seperate things. They are very similarly named, but they are distinct detachments with different requirements and benefits. I think trying to argue a superheavy auxiliary Detachment is the same as a superheavy Detachment is reaching a fair bit.

Norgoth on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I think formations will be universally accepted by everyone, this will be the format of new post codex content after all.

Ironically, formations are the reason why I stayed completely out of 40k during 7th and why many people I know left the game. So... I wouldn't be so sure.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

Ironically, formations are the reason why I stayed completely out of 40k during 7th and why many people I know left the game. So... I wouldn't be so sure.

On the plus side, these formations seem more like Codex expansions instead of 7th edition's "You get a bonus 500 points of army to play with and your opponent can go fuck themselves".

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »

On the plus side, these formations seem more like Codex expansions instead of 7th edition's "You get a bonus 500 points of army to play with and your opponent can go fuck themselves".

The fact they cost instead of giving free stuff alone is great. And they don't change your rules, they give you more options which again cost CP to use.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Has anyone magnetized a stormfang gunship for the Space Wolves? I feel kind of intimidated doing it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Man the points changes are so good for tau, so many options now. I have spare points in my list now and I need a more mobile element for objectives so far the options are
    Crisis suits with triple burst cannons.
    Squad of three pihranas with dakka loadouts.
    Or with a little tweaking, two skyrays with burst cannons.

I’m thinking option C. It’s more markerlights, tougher and can contribute to the turn one alphastrike.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Kinda weird that WarCom is now talking about Wrath and Rapture and the new Slannesh Herald for days but there isn't one proper picture of the Herald. Only today she can bee seen in the background of a group shot.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Kinda weird that WarCom is now talking about Wrath and Rapture and the new Slannesh Herald for days but there isn't one proper picture of the Herald. Only today she can bee seen in the background of a group shot.

Well to some she can be disturbing as her harp is built out of an Aelf/Aeldari

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I hope it becomes a reoccurring theme. Pianos made out of eldar, trumpets, drums, vuvuzelas. Their lord of war unit can be a full orchestra of eldar stretched into horrible shapes.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    I hope it becomes a reoccurring theme. Pianos made out of eldar, trumpets, drums, vuvuzelas. Their lord of war unit can be a full orchestra of eldar stretched into horrible shapes.

And eventually one of the campaign books is just a Slaanesh versus Haemonculus Covens open mic battle.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

And eventually one of the campaign books is just a Slaanesh versus Haemonculus Covens open mic battle.

Warhammer 40,000: Battle of the Bands

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular

Warhammer 40,000: Battle of the Bands

Head to Head.

Guts vs. Guts.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just as Blood Bowl gave us awesome looking Warhammer sports teams, I really do seriously now want 40K themed metal bands.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Since we're talking about 40k metal bands, this week's Regimental Standard was all about protecting yourself from the loudest of heresies, the Noise Marine and their crude, improvised and largely innefectual sound cannons.
    I think they missed a beat at the end by not having the "coupons" be printed with instructions to roll them into cylinders and insert them into your ears when you see a Noise Marine, because umpteen bajillion earplugs would be way too expensive to make and distribute. A slight modification to the printing templates? Much more affordable, and if it lets even a small percent of guardsmen fire a second volley before explosive decompression of the skull cavity, it's well worth the investment.

So according to my gaming group Playtime15 should give you 15% off ebay. I am torn buying anything. I am pretty good with my Chaos and Deathwatch outside the loyal 32. And I am thinking of keeping my orks but not sure what to get. I like evil suns so logic says new buggies.

u7stthr17eud.png
    So according to my gaming group Playtime15 should give you 15% off ebay. I am torn buying anything. I am pretty good with my Chaos and Deathwatch outside the loyal 32. And I am thinking of keeping my orks but not sure what to get. I like evil suns so logic says new buggies.

I'm kind of in the same boat - I've had a few Ebay vouchers and offers aimed at me recently and I'm genuinely struggling to think if I need or even want any new models right now.

I've pretty much settled on A List now and I don't really feel an urgent need to expand past it.

I'm kind of in the same boat - I've had a few Ebay vouchers and offers aimed at me recently and I'm genuinely struggling to think if I need or even want any new models right now.

I've pretty much settled on A List now and I don't really feel an urgent need to expand past it.

Chaos is in stasis with the possibility of new noise marines and EC stuff.

Deathwatch was a targeted build. I have it. So not sure what to do there. I guess 30 guard and 2 company commanders since they weren't nerfed.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I used that eBay coupon on a couple boxes of the Delaque models for my genestealer cult army. Hard to turn down 28 bucks a box on 40 retail.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular

Deathwatch was a targeted build. I have it. So not sure what to do there. I guess 30 guard and 2 company commanders since they weren't nerfed.

It will be really embarrassing if new noise marines come out before I finish the ones with the resin blasters that I bought years ago.

It will be really embarrassing if new noise marines come out before I finish the ones with the resin blasters that I bought years ago.

I have metal ones.

And resin ones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I'm tempted to get the new wartrike because then I would have four different warbosses, which I think would be hilarious.

SmokeStacks on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I just want to say that all the warcom top banner christmas pictures are great and the newest one is the best.

honovere on
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Based on some posts on Reddit, it looks like the base kill team box is already OOP and is selling out online

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    Based on some posts on Reddit, it looks like the base kill team box is already OOP and is selling out online

It's still for sale on the UK site, I'm guessing there's just been a rush for Christmas.

Khraul wrote: »

It's still for sale on the UK site, I'm guessing there's just been a rush for Christmas.

I think it was a US post... Out of stock in the us and a couple folks had said their GW stores couldn't get them anymore

Hopefully it's not true, it's a great set

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Are there any novels about the Adepta Soroitas? Or good starter novels in general?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’m sure there are but all I can think of is the comic, but that is ‘about’ the Adepta Sororitas in the same way Superman is ‘about’ Kryptonians.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    James Swallow did a series of Sisters novels, starting with Faith & Fire

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Are there any novels about the Adepta Soroitas? Or good starter novels in general?

For your Adepta Sororitas novel needs:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Battle-Omnibus-James-Swallow-ebook/dp/B0757SC391/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544815502&sr=8-2&keywords=faith+and+fire

Good starter novels: The Caiphas Cain books are good reads. Tanith First and Only are also good reads.
    I'm reading through the Yarrick omnibus at the moment and it's pretty good.

Really depends on what you're looking for though. Like, what army do you like and want to read more about?

Like, if you want more Inquisition, then the Ravenor or Eisenhorn books are a good bet.
    Chaos has the Word Bearers trilogy...

see317 on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

For your Adepta Sororitas novel needs:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Battle-Omnibus-James-Swallow-ebook/dp/B0757SC391/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544815502&sr=8-2&keywords=faith+and+fire

Good starter novels: The Caiphas Cain books are good reads. Tanith First and Only are also good reads.
    I'm reading through the Yarrick omnibus at the moment and it's pretty good.

Really depends on what you're looking for though. Like, what army do you like and want to read more about?

Like, if you want more Inquisition, then the Ravenor or Eisenhorn books are a good bet.
    Chaos has the Word Bearers trilogy...

Do not attempt to read all of the Caiphas Cain novels before reading something else, because if you'd known when you started what you were getting yourself into you'd have turned right around and left the bookstore without even a second thought.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

As a veteran of five hundred thousand dragonlance novels and the perpetual Wheel of Time, nothing can overcome my inurement to bloated book series.

I have to listen to audiobooks nowadays though, responsibilities make it hard to just sit down and read.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Though seriously, Caiaphas Cain can kind of get formulaic. Probably want to break it up with other novels.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Though seriously, Caiaphas Cain can kind of get formulaic. Probably want to break it up with other novels.

This is what I was attempting to signal, there, as that's basically a paraphrase of one of the mandatory Cain-isms in every story and novel.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    As a veteran of five hundred thousand dragonlance novels and the perpetual Wheel of Time, nothing can overcome my inurement to bloated book series.

I have to listen to audiobooks nowadays though, responsibilities make it hard to just sit down and read.

I too fought in the WoT wars. Luckily I only did a short tour in Dragonlance. I'm slogging through the Dark Eldar Omnibus. It's old enough to still be called that, and it may take me until they do another release calling it the Drukhari Omnibus before I finish it: I typically read like a 1/4 of a chapter a week when I got out to my favorite Sunday brunch. Just fuckin' with church goers as they see me reading a book that hosts a shriveled goblin on the cover.
    Path-of-the-Dark-Eldar-omni.jpg

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。

Cult of the warmason is pretty good.

Half genestealer cult, half sisters of battle

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Hm, what's better.

6d3 shots of a 36" D6 damage weapon with -3 AP and 8 STR.

vs.

2d3 shots of a 72" flat 6 damage weapon with -4 AP and 16 STR
    and
    2d6 shots of a 24" D3 damage weapon with -3 AP and 6 STR?

Both profiles have 6 Mortarion'esq melee attacks (Reaping vs Impaling profiles).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Depends; do you want to simply delete your only real competition from approximately 1.5 tables away? Then go with the synaptic annihilators.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm trying to make a decision. I've been collecting Imperial Guard since around 1998. I started with Valhallans, and the majority of my army is that. I have a small platoon, maybe 40 guys, of the old beret Stormtroopers. There's also a squad of Praetorians, a squad of Rough Riders, some old school Ogryn, two squads of Steel Legion, and a penal squad in the making with a couple of squats, some RT pirates, and old Delaque and models. And lots of tanks and apc's.

They were my first love.

I'm just not sure I want them anymore. I don't really like the paint scheme I chose for them. Some of the tanks' paint didn't hold up well in storage. I'm just not interested in painting that many models. Just carrying them to and from the game store is a hassle. All that metal weighs a ton, and my arthritis isn't getting better.

I've given serious thought to trading them in for store credit and getting the new Imperial Fist Supremacy Force box to add to my Fists, which I am much more interested in. Still, the history and nostalgia there, not to mention the impossibility of getting those models again is giving me pause.

What if I decide next month I still want to play IG? I'm torn.
    16koFwX.jpg
    WZNzCMj.jpg
    B4NU9rn.jpg

Looking at Chenkov makes it harder to decide, too.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.