As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have never understood the draw to those things

Nerd shit that makes people happy? I have a few and they are just something related to something else I like that can sit on my desk as a reminder of that thing.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    There is so little Avatar merch out there so I am super interested in these.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Unlike most Funko Pops, the Toph one seems to have a soul.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Unlike most Funko Pops, the Toph one seems to have a soul.

eh, I don't see it.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

There are also collectable pins from Zen Monkey Studios.

https://www.zenmonkeystudios.com/collections/avatar-the-last-airbender-1
    https://www.zenmonkeystudios.com/collections/the-legend-of-korra

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

There are also collectable pins from Zen Monkey Studios.

https://www.zenmonkeystudios.com/collections/avatar-the-last-airbender-1
    https://www.zenmonkeystudios.com/collections/the-legend-of-korra

Oh shit, I didn't know about those and my GF and I are starting to collect pins. Thanks!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Zuko's scar is on the wrong side. /EmberIslandPlayers

...that would be a great idea for an ultra-rare variant.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Fyi the series collections for both Avatar and Korra are on sale on Amazon today for $20

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Fyi the series collections for both Avatar and Korra are on sale on Amazon today for $20

This is awesome, thank you for the heads up, been wanting these since neither series is available for free streaming on any service.

• Options
    I thought I was done collecting the Pops. I was wrong.

• Options
    Happy Avatar Day! The series premiered 15 years ago today!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Nickelodeon shouldn't be allowed to celebrate Avatar; they did their level best to kill it at every opportunity.

Also, 15 years? Goddamn how.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Nickelodeon shouldn't be allowed to celebrate Avatar; they did their level best to kill it at every opportunity.

I recall a lot of difficulty with Korra, was the original series similar?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The original series kept getting put in to whatever random time slot needed filling similar to whenever FOX had a good show.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

like Disney and Gravity Falls

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm just amazed Nick gave Korra one more season after making it digital-only.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I remember when the back half of the final season of Avatar was airing in Brazil or something before the US for some reason, that was nuts

• Options
    edited July 2020
    BoomerAang Squad on
  • Options
    So, remember how the Avatar creators were all "fuck yes, Airbender movie!" at first and then they wanted nothing to do with it? For very good reasons?

Well, it's happening again with the TV series.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    GOD

DAMMIT

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Imagine being the guy who looks at the last live action Avatar movie and thinks: "Yeah, that's the plan!"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I hope the final product turns out good, but yeah, that sucks to hear.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The most plausible guess I've read is that there might be pressure to CW-drama it up.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Why the hell would Netflix make a live action remake instead of just letting the original creators make a new animated chapter set post-Korra?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Plus side, Korra is available on Netflix on Friday.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Why the hell would Netflix make a live action remake instead of just letting the original creators make a new animated chapter set post-Korra?

I'm pretty sure they original creators were the ones that wanted to do a live action remake of the last airbender.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd like to see it done well, but I assume that doing it well would take waaaay more money than any plausible executive would be willing to pay, so I'm happy to just not see it at all.

Had the showrunners ever worked with live action before? Animated is one thing, but when you write a funny five-second moment between a six legged giant flying bison and a lemur-esque creature, you're probably adding an extra digit to an episodes budget.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    The most plausible guess I've read is that there might be pressure to CW-drama it up.

Alternately: racebending again.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    From SE++:

That article can and should be ignored

Check your sources, y'all

So whatever the reason is, that article is BS

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    imma just leave this here
    https://youtu.be/7Vw_ZsJfPWw

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    From SE++:

Check the sources? OK!

Michael Dante DiMartino publicly stated he's gone.

Bryan Konietzko publicly stated he's gone.

Both statements are still up.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    From SE++:

Check the sources? OK!

Well, first, both those links appear to go to the same article from DiMartino, if you've got link to a similar open letter from Konietzko I'd love to read it.

Second, the article in question that can and should be ignored was about the reasons that they left the Netflix adaptation (citing only internal anonymous sources within Netflix), in particular Netflix wanting to whitewash the cast the way M.Night did, age up the cast to make it sexier and the creators wanting more money. The actual information: exactly why they split with the production, hasn't been officially stated by Netflix or the creators to the best of my knowledge. And without knowing who FandomWire.com were talking to within Netflix or what those sources connections to the production are or were, it's hard to credit the website for not making shit up to drive traffic, particularly for a site that seems to specialize in clickbait article work.

What we know is DiMartino and Konietzko have said they were no longer working on it because plans and visions change. But not how those plans changed that convinced them to cut ties.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    If they want to do "Avatar, but sexy" they should just make live action Korra. That cartoon could turn into "Riverdale, but with bending" so easily...

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    From SE++:

Check the sources? OK!

Well, first, both those links appear to go to the same article from DiMartino, if you've got link to a similar open letter from Konietzko I'd love to read it.

Second, the article in question that can and should be ignored was about the reasons that they left the Netflix adaptation (citing only internal anonymous sources within Netflix), in particular Netflix wanting to whitewash the cast the way M.Night did, age up the cast to make it sexier and the creators wanting more money. The actual information: exactly why they split with the production, hasn't been officially stated by Netflix or the creators to the best of my knowledge. And without knowing who FandomWire.com were talking to within Netflix or what those sources connections to the production are or were, it's hard to credit the website for not making shit up to drive traffic, particularly for a site that seems to specialize in clickbait article work.

What we know is DiMartino and Konietzko have said they were no longer working on it because plans and visions change. But not how those plans changed that convinced them to cut ties.

Unless you think the journalists in question just make stuff up routinely, there is a big difference between saying something like "vague and probably anonymous sources have told us" and "we went and asked a bunch of people who should know and this is what they said". And the article seems to be saying the later. And it doesn't sound all that improbable.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Started rewatching Korra now that it's on Netflix, and I'm liking it even more the second time through. Actually starting to think it's the better of the two shows, even though I know that's sacrilege among the fanbase. Feels catered to an older audience, the animation is mostly a lot better, I love the setting, and I think the themes are more ambitious--and more feminist.

And god, what a coup to get J.K. Simmons as Tenzin. But the whole cast is fantastic.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Woops, here's the other statement.

And I'm really confused as to what exactly is bullshit, since the article's only three sources are public statements from the two creators and Netflix.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

And I'm really confused as to what exactly is bullshit, since the article's only three sources are public statements from the two creators and Netflix.

The fact that the article is not in anyway really based on the public statements would be the heart of it. The fandomwire article cites several very specific reasons for why the separation happened which is in no way supported by the public statements. All we know is that Netflix wanted more control over the creative direction than the original creators were comfortable with. That is literally all that is publically stated. Everything else is based on anonymous sources so it comes down to whether or not you trust fandomwire specifically to not make something up to get extra clicks.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine who watched AtlA for the first time a few weeks ago just finished the first season of Korra and I completely forgot about the Amon bad joke meme format so I've been posting those.

Good times.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

The fact that the article is not in anyway really based on the public statements would be the heart of it. The fandomwire article cites several very specific reasons for why the separation happened which is in no way supported by the public statements. All we know is that Netflix wanted more control over the creative direction than the original creators were comfortable with. That is literally all that is publically stated. Everything else is based on anonymous sources so it comes down to whether or not you trust fandomwire specifically to not make something up to get extra clicks.

I think we're talking about two different articles here.

• Options
    The best of times. https://youtu.be/W9HC7jMlYb0
    If they want to do "Avatar, but sexy" they should just make live action Korra. That cartoon could turn into "Riverdale, but with bending" so easily...

If they're doing the Riverdale thing, they should go whole hogmonkey and make it a high school AU.