As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa! Assignments now!

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I must admit, I usually don't check my mail everyday because it's down a flight of stairs, but I've been checking it every day because of Secret Santa. :heartbeat:

Just think of all that bonus exercise you’re getting! What a nice Santa you must have!

I was pretty much just having this exact thought(s). Because both posts above hold true for me.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I always assume I've got a deadbeat, so when stuff shows up I'm pleasantly surprised.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I always forget until it shows up, so same pleasant surprise.

I'm usually actually kinda worried when I see the package, because uhhhh, what the heck did I order and forget about *this* time?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I always forget until it shows up, so same pleasant surprise.

I'm usually actually kinda worried when I see the package, because uhhhh, what the heck did I order and forget about *this* time?

Especially this time of year, when there's Amazon stuff that you got for presents for other people, boxes from family members far away sending gifts to the kids, your auto-subscription on toothpaste or whatever ...

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    It took a little bit, but I think I've finally put together a box of fun things. Now, the tricky part:

5w7o8acb7qlj.png

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    lq3kMBj.gif

After a long day at work, I cam home to find a mystery box! As it turns out, Amazon had gotten things here quicker than expected.

Mystery Box in Question:
    6wNw7zS.png?1

The Contents!
    eD99vS9.png

Thank you to Santa for
    • Brandon Sanderson - Elantris
    • Ben H Winters - The Last Policeman
    • N K Jemisin - The Fifth Season
    • M R Carey - The Girl with all the Gifts
    • Dennis E Taylor - We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

As you had guessed, I have read The Fifth Season - and it is an amazing novel, so thank you for that one. On all the others, however, I look forward to reading - you've picked some very interesting looking novels, and all of them are in line with what I tend to read, so I greatly look forward to curling up with a book in the near future (probably later tonight) and getting started.

Thanks again, Santa! I'll post as I complete these going through.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Girl with all the Gifts is great.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I enjoyed We Are Legion.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    I figured if any of them, you'd have read that one, but if you hadn't, well, worth the risk.

I tried to go broader for the rest, but they're all out of my Kindle library from the last couple years, because it *did* look like you and I shared the same taste in books. Glad to hear I was right or at least right enough!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    lq3kMBj.gif

So I got a package in the mail, but haven't had the chance to pick it up until today. Let's see what I got?

First item!
    u9w5rrlfnw8x.jpg

I do love those games! What could it be.

fhxk4gk4xfjc.jpg

Holy hell! I've heard this game is phenomenal, and have been meaning to pick it up! Thank you SO much!

Second item!
    yb9v2z4c0sbi.jpg

Huh. Wonder what it could be?

l3e1wclsbv3e.jpg

Huh. I must admit, my Santa was right. I've never heard of this show. But I bet it's quite good. Even though cuticles are no laughing matter. They hurt!

Wow! Thank you, Santa! These are some fantastic gifts!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Santee... Your gift is on the way! It should be there on Monday!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Tetris Effect looks super rad. Definitely can imagine losing some hours in that. Cool gifts, Mystery Santa!

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Got a proxy message that I might gt gifts on the 15th.
    Thank you but I don't think we get delivery on weekends here in Canada. Hopes to be proved wrong but otherwise Monday I guess.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    lq3kMBj.gif

So I got a package in the mail, but haven't had the chance to pick it up until today. Let's see what I got?

First item!
    u9w5rrlfnw8x.jpg

I do love those games! What could it be.

fhxk4gk4xfjc.jpg

Holy hell! I've heard this game is phenomenal, and have been meaning to pick it up! Thank you SO much!

Second item!
    yb9v2z4c0sbi.jpg

Huh. Wonder what it could be?

l3e1wclsbv3e.jpg

Huh. I must admit, my Santa was right. I've never heard of this show. But I bet it's quite good. Even though cuticles are no laughing matter. They hurt!

Wow! Thank you, Santa! These are some fantastic gifts!

Phew, glad they got there, equally glad you don't own them. Enjoy!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Got my tracking number too!

Of course my Santa is overdoing it because I already got some stuff from them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have gotten STUFF and will be doing a post Monday!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Babysitter illness thwarted my second attempt to get Clank In Space to the table. But the magic of technology comes to the rescue and there's an app that let's you play solo!

Very good fun. I'm now champing at the bit for a 'proper' multiplayer game.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    @Elvenshae

This was something that was sent last year, but shippers were not gentle so this is the first year it's on the tree! Thanks again!

0BErsI7l.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Looks pretty good up there, @ArcSyn !

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I figured if any of them, you'd have read that one, but if you hadn't, well, worth the risk.

I tried to go broader for the rest, but they're all out of my Kindle library from the last couple years, because it *did* look like you and I shared the same taste in books. Glad to hear I was right or at least right enough!

Good News!

I finished The Last Policeman, and it was great! I mean, not exactly Sci-Fi in the sense that I normally mean it, but it was well written, and had some great characters - the internal narrative was really interesting, and the core premise of how society reacts to a global threat was well pretty well shown.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, Christmas is coming up quickly! I'm a bit behind where I usually am at this time. Really need to turn-and-burn this week, so that items can arrive to the appropriate destination at the appropriate time.

Update:

Turning: 75% complete
    Burning: TBD

Update to the Update:

Turning: Oops 290% complete
    Burning: 50% complete

Was finally able to find one key item!

• Options
    A few years ago someone made my avatar Christmas themed complete with candy cane blasters or something. I can't find it in my Photobucket or Amazon drive or Google photos. Does anyone remember doing that and do you still have it?

Also, searching past secret santa threads we were a lot more chatty. Lol. Hitting double digit pages in October.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    A few years ago someone made my avatar Christmas themed complete with candy cane blasters or something. I can't find it in my Photobucket or Amazon drive or Google photos. Does anyone remember doing that and do you still have it?

Also, searching past secret santa threads we were a lot more chatty. Lol. Hitting double digit pages in October.

Yeah, this thread is definitely slower than older Secret Santa threads. Not sure if it's more that we're not as chatty, or if it's just that there are fewer people here. Or maybe everyone's just busier than we were in years past and don't have as much forum time as we used to.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Certainly that last one for me.

On a separate note, prepare for being gifted, Santee.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, this thread is definitely slower than older Secret Santa threads. Not sure if it's more that we're not as chatty, or if it's just that there are fewer people here. Or maybe everyone's just busier than we were in years past and don't have as much forum time as we used to.

Social media existing in general doesn't help, and while I feel we're seeing a resurgence in small gated communities, they are more Discord chatrooms than forums dedicated to a webcomic first and foremost. I still like it here most though.

(Or is Discord just a web 2.0 version of what ezboards was in the early 2000? </old> )

• Options
    Yeah, I don't do any of the discord chats. Also too, the G&T subforum doesn't allow chat any more, so kinda conditions us to not be chatty too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't do any of the discord chats. Also too, the G&T subforum doesn't allow chat any more, so kinda conditions us to not be chatty too.

Yeah this is true. We're conditioned to not go off topic in any post here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder if there'd be any interest in a unified forum Secret Santa next year. Bring together the CF, G&T, D&D and SE++ forums. I suppose we could invite Graphic Violence and Artist Corner along if there's interest, though I don't see a Secret Santa thread in either of those forums

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    lq3kMBj.gif
    A few days ago a package arrived. Inspection in progress:

kJESumY.jpg

Inspection passed, and Starlink: Battle for Atlas is now mine!
    4GmR5jA.jpg

Gift enjoyment.
    t51oSTh.jpg

Thank you Santa this was definitely something on my wishlist, were you also the one that gifted me a couple of Steam games a few weeks ago, or was that just a random drive by holiday Steamgifting? Starfox!

Santa, expose, err, reveal yourself!

P.S. Santee your gifts have been mailed, though I have included some temporal chrono crystals in the box to make sure that it gets there before Christmas. So if your gift gets to you before I mailed it, that's why.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    It was me! And the Steam games were part of it, too, but I didn't want to out myself just yet. Also, there is one more box coming! Merry Christmas!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I wonder if there'd be any interest in a unified forum Secret Santa next year. Bring together the CF, G&T, D&D and SE++ forums. I suppose we could invite Graphic Violence and Artist Corner along if there's interest, though I don't see a Secret Santa thread in either of those forums

I'm certainly interested. Especially since we've had about half the participants since I took over in the GT.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I'm certainly interested. Especially since we've had about half the participants since I took over in the GT.

I'd be willing to help coordinate.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    @ScudMuffin, have you had the chance to play Amazing Adventures yet? I'm intrigued to know how it went for you. I bought a copy to play with my 5 year old daughter.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    lq3kMBj.gif

Weirdness with Amazon sorted out, books now in my Kindle, waiting for my big ol' train trip to read!

Thanks again, @Radiation!

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    lq3kMBj.gif

Thank you @Jam Warrior for the awesome haul and I was wrong, weekend delivery is a thing

Since a box entered the household it had to be opened immediately
    uc?export=download&id=1YC_9B6gWdVuRKxOQuTdpRW4jwEtr49Ra

Wow thank for the Hellboy hard cover collection, it's really nice. Yes I know I've been behind on my 3DS purchases, that's mostly due to my Steam library. And the book looks interesting even the synopsis on the back of the book keeps it all mysterious.
    uc?export=download&id=1EtcpRH5HDbUdh4Hre4gBvSjhxF3s6XTP
    uc?export=download&id=1KqJhwdMAwlic8O8F65Hkgl4_kXLJ4DG8

The kids zeroed in to the LEGO and we had to build them immediately.
    uc?export=download&id=1b-wYHsMwxn9s6ndzM2XZvd-r0UAGytF-

Handkor on
  • Options
    Hoorah! Glad you like it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    As I lie dreaming, a shadowy, Santa-shaped figure chucked some books into my phone.

lq3kMBj.gif
    w7x0gp1fsdb8.jpeg

Woo! I watched season one of the show a while back on the recommendation of the Schlock Mercenary author. It’s very good; I’ve been meaning to read the books. :biggrin:
    7fqij7nrqdfr.jpeg

I can only assume that this is the tie-in novel for BioWare’s hotly anticipated action RPG.

More seriously, Stephenson’s stuff is always interesting. I glanced inside and noticed that it starts with a “cheat sheet” and a note to the reader that they can skip it if they enjoy puzzling out the setting. This is very exciting.

Both of these look wonderful. Thank you, Santa!

Frem on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    a6oabvv2fgxl.gif

Last week, my generous Secret Santa shed the veil of secrecy... because apparently we work like 2 blocks apart or something. Advantages of not having to stick stuff in the mail while a postal strike is going on? Massive.

And thus, a patient and generous soul, we met near a local Starbucks, where all proper drug deals and gift exchanges between strangers should take place. All kidding aside, it was immensely appreciated that they took time not just out of their schedule to pick and obtain the gift, but to hand deliver it. How many people here get personal hand delivery? Very few, I imagine. Oh sure, hundreds or thousands of miles might make that impractical, but still, a one of a kind experience in and of itself!

And so, below my beloved tree, containing ornaments nerdy and non, from this year to others from when I was but a baby, the present was tucked with others that have been coming in.
    6n7xn0zrxc4d.jpg

"I could just look at it now, but I should save it." I said to myself.
    2z7icfgmsemb.jpg

.... "the waiting game sucks, let's do this!"
    x6f011jx2odb.jpg

uhvkg9cunque.jpg

Thank you, @theoriginalz, for your thoughtful and generous gift. My love of Lego and Star Wars make this a perfect gift. All the best to you and those near to you over the holidays!

Edit: damnit, on Windows all of those files together are like 1.7 megs, they're 2-3 times the size here on the forums. One sec while I clean up this 5+ meg mess.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    But was there drugs

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    But was there drugs

Only the drug of seasonally-appropriate happiness!

And caffeine. :D