As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Orb In All Of Us

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Orb In All Of Us

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Haha, this one got me!

Question for those with an opinion - is Smash Ultimate good for competitive play? I've played it a bit, and so far it seems pretty meh. Characters are floaty AF and nothing seems to knock them off the screen, until they reach the magic point where they have enough damage. Makes it seem more like a "do damage until they die" fighting game than a "knock them off the edge any way you can" game.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am trash at remembering to block or dodge. Those two high level Star Fox players basically pulling a Dragon Ball Z fight underneath the stage gets me every time. I can’t even manage to get back from off screen most of the time.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's new, or if it's always been a thing, but I discovered last night that you can just hold the regular attack button down for an auto-combo. Not that it's hard to just repeatedly press the button, but that's kinda neat.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
  • HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    I feel Tycho's pain here...SO much...

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    zeromh wrote: »
    Haha, this one got me!

Question for those with an opinion - is Smash Ultimate good for competitive play? I've played it a bit, and so far it seems pretty meh. Characters are floaty AF and nothing seems to knock them off the screen, until they reach the magic point where they have enough damage. Makes it seem more like a "do damage until they die" fighting game than a "knock them off the edge any way you can" game.
    Build up damage, then knock them off is how Smash Bros has always been. If doing nothing but knocking them off always worked there'd be no point in moves that weren't designed for knocking them off (like nearly all projectiles), or being able to recover from being knocked off.

@homogenized
    You'll notice that my description encompasses what you're saying. "knock them off the edge any way you can" includes "spiking them to their death without doing much damage at all," as well as "do lots of damage so that one good hit knocks them off the screen." The goal is to knock them off. How you do that is up to you.

Except, based on my experience with Smash Ultimate so far, KOing someone without doing lots of damage first seems a lot harder than usual. If I'm right about that, then the game becomes one in which you *have* to do damage to KO someone, which has never been the case.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I was too old by the time Smash came out to catch the fever but I felt this same way back when I first discovered Street Fighter II then after about a month heard people actually competed. In tournaments. I was like, ‘Like Fred Savage’s mute brother in the Wizard?’ I dunno if that is even chronologically correct but that’s how I remember it

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    If I'm right about that, then the game becomes one in which you *have* to do damage to KO someone, which has never been the case.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. How do you KO someone without damaging them?

Smash has always been wailing on your opponent with items and moves to get that damage % up so they rocket off-screen when you hit them hard enough.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    If I'm right about that, then the game becomes one in which you *have* to do damage to KO someone, which has never been the case.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. How do you KO someone without damaging them?

Smash has always been wailing on your opponent with items and moves to get that damage % up so they rocket off-screen when you hit them hard enough.

If you have good ledge control, or aerials that can spike an opponent downwards or eat their recovery moves in midair and let you get back safely you can do low damage KOs.

steam_sig.png
    I think classic smash is still my favorite. I'd love a version of it with a graphical overhaul, and a somewhat expanded roster and level list, but otherwise identical.

I much preferred the slower physics, allowing you to generally be more methodical than frantic. As an old, it's thee only one i can keep up with these days.

steam_sig.png
    @skull2185
    Basically what tofystedeth said. You're missing out on medium to high-level play, my friend. Smash isn't about doing damage.

Kirby's drill kick was really good in the original for KOing with basically no damage. Marth, Mario, and Falco (to name a few) have downward spikes that almost assure a KO if you hit it right. One strategy with Sheik is to air juggle and then forward smash in the air at low altitude to shoot someone off the stage and down. And then you've got edge hogging....

If this is alien to anyone, check out a Smash tourney video on Youtube. It's a trip! Here's a random top tier video for Melee (which is probably the best Smash game for competitive play): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnYtXIyfW4

edited December 2018
    Yeah, I dunno if I'm missing out. Don't really care for the e-sport "pro-stratz" aspect of video games, or whatever.

I do understand what you're saying now, though.

Edit: This may sound a bit more dismissive than I mean to be.

Competitive gameplay can be exciting to watch. Like that "moment" thing where that one guy parried the Chun Li hyper-combo. That's pretty hype to watch.

Skull2185 on
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    This is definitely me. That and "There's a brake button in racing games?"

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    All I care about is that Isabelle is the destroyer of worlds in this game and I love it.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Every game of Smash:

"Oh, hey, he just blocked me/grabbed me/meteor smashed me!

...Right! I can do all those moves too!"

(Proceed to spam that move without success until I decide to go back to spamming B moves and smash attacks)

I used to drive my friend crazy because he would throw me and I would think, "I'll try grabbing! That's a good trick!" And then start walking towards him and very transparently attempt to grab him multiple times in a row.

I think it's a testament to Smash's value that it can appeal to those who, like me, never use shields or more advanced techniques, while still being masterable by those who can do stuff like wavedash (is that still a thing?), all the way up to the "frames and pixels" crowd.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Every game of Smash:

(Proceed to spam that move without success until I decide to go back to spamming B moves and smash attacks)

I used to drive my friend crazy because he would throw me and I would think, "I'll try grabbing! That's a good trick!" And then start walking towards him and very transparently attempt to grab him multiple times in a row.

I think it's a testament to Smash's value that it can appeal to those who, like me, never use shields or more advanced techniques, while still being masterable by those who can do stuff like wavedash (is that still a thing?), all the way up to the "frames and pixels" crowd.

The best games are the ones that work on multiple levels of engagement like this. I also feel like that's part of why Pokemon is still going strong after all this time.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Every game of Smash:

I'm curious now. Did anyone else hear "I'll try grabbing! That's a good trick!" in young Anakin Skywalker's voice? (Sorry to bring back TPM nightmares....) ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • VeskrVeskr Registered User new member
    This is the first post I've ever made here. Guys I've loved your comics since the early days. Deep Crow and the Critoris in particular.
    But how can you be such newbs about Smash bros? I am very disappointed.
    There is a pagoda which only the most formless masters of smash might ascend. And there always has been. Welcome to the party.

• ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    Ahh try hards, the ones who take every game so "srs bsns" that they suck every bit of fun out of them. They're not fun to play against since they treat a video game like a job, and they're not fun to be on a team with because they're usually busy shouting about how everyone else isn't doing what "pro leet gamer" suggests.

I kind of wish we could lock all these people in a room with each other so they could have fun making each other miserable and let everyone else actually have fun. I'd like to add in watching other people play a game to "learn strats" is officially the point when you are taking a game way too seriously.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Veskr wrote: »
    This is the first post I've ever made here. Guys I've loved your comics since the early days. Deep Crow and the Critoris in particular.
    But how can you be such newbs about Smash bros? I am very disappointed.
    There is a pagoda which only the most formless masters of smash might ascend. And there always has been. Welcome to the party.

To the uninitiated, the Pagoda is called New Pork City All Hammers. Only the most elite of players thrive there.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    Ahh try hards, the ones who take every game so "srs bsns" that they suck every bit of fun out of them. They're not fun to play against since they treat a video game like a job, and they're not fun to be on a team with because they're usually busy shouting about how everyone else isn't doing what "pro leet gamer" suggests.

I kind of wish we could lock all these people in a room with each other so they could have fun making each other miserable and let everyone else actually have fun. I'd like to add in watching other people play a game to "learn strats" is officially the point when you are taking a game way too seriously.
    I thought that's what tournaments were all about. To quarantine those people.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    All I care about is that Isabelle is the destroyer of worlds in this game and I love it.

Oh is she now?

She was my main in Mario Kart, but I haven't unlocked her yet in Smash. This is great news though. I love Isabelle.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Zenigata wrote: »

I'm pretty far from a pro leet gamer (I don't play competitive anything, ever), but I still think this is pretty condescending. If other people have fun by "taking the game too seriously" and watching videos/practising, what business is it of yours? Go play with your friends instead.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I think classic smash is still my favorite. I'd love a version of it with a graphical overhaul, and a somewhat expanded roster and level list, but otherwise identical.

I much preferred the slower physics, allowing you to generally be more methodical than frantic. As an old, it's thee only one i can keep up with these days.

Yeah... when they ruined Luigi and later Jigglypuff, Smash lost me forever. :sad:

Also all the people that I know that play tons of hours of Smash play with the most stripped down boring rules, like... sterilized more than an "MLG-rules" shooter and it's just... eh. Not for me.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Competitive smash is like NASCAR. If you like watching cars do 500 laps in a big oval to see who is the best at passing at high speed, then it's great.

But for me personally? It's kinda boring. Watching F1 with its demanding course layouts is more fun, and rallycross is the best with its use of road cars and a mix of a little bit of every kind of driving situation.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    My memories of playing Smash, abridged:

Everyone else: "Alright, let's see. Let's use my save, I have all the things unlocked..." *goes to settings disables all items, damage to 75%, static stages only* "Let's have some fun, guys! WOO!"

Me: "How is this Smash? You've literally disabled 75% of the game's content outside of the characters."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like that they design the game for both camps, like for newbs and for more vet type people. Personally my wife and I have been playing single player and its been a grand ole time, but we are tycho skill level and like some of the solo challenges are more luck for us winning than any "skill" but you know what, fuck it grand ole time.

Kirby for life though, I love that puffball!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2018
    I've pretty much switched mains with each new installment, but I think this time I'm probably mostly going to keep using Corrin & Mega Man as in 4 (and to a lesser extent Lucina & Mii Gunner). Kinda depends on how things go with Inkling.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    The only Smash I've played is Brawl. I know some people don't care for that one, but it was entertaining enough at the time. I mostly did the single player stuff though, so it was rare that I played with other actual players. I haven't decided if I'll pick this one up or not. Is its single player experience comparable to Brawl?

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    The only Smash I've played is Brawl. I know some people don't care for that one, but it was entertaining enough at the time. I mostly did the single player stuff though, so it was rare that I played with other actual players. I haven't decided if I'll pick this one up or not. Is its single player experience comparable to Brawl?

There is a lot of content. Classic mode, normal Smash fights, etc. There is an extensive singleplayer adventure mode, called World of Light. It is not equivalent to Subspace Emissary, though, it's more of a series of special, custom event fights.

There's a lot in the game, but if you wanted Subspace Emissary, there's nothing like that really in Smash Ultimate.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My memories of playing Smash, abridged:

Everyone else: "Alright, let's see. Let's use my save, I have all the things unlocked..." *goes to settings disables all items, damage to 75%, static stages only* "Let's have some fun, guys! WOO!"

Me: "How is this Smash? You've literally disabled 75% of the game's content outside of the characters."

What is the point of options if they aren’t used, though? If what someone wants to do is to set things up to be as player vs player as possible, that’s 100% fine. As is going for full exploding chaos, and anything else in between. They made the game able to do those things.

Where it gets bad is when one camp tries to say that the other camp shouldn’t be doing their thing.

Enlong on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I am trash at remembering to block or dodge. Those two high level Star Fox players basically pulling a Dragon Ball Z fight underneath the stage gets me every time. I can’t even manage to get back from off screen most of the time.
    If you're talking about the video I think you are, I'm pretty sure that's a mod and the video is tool assisted.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    we had to ban fox in our casual-but-takes-games-too-seriously friend group because it got too boring after a while

that said, mewtwo 4 lyfe

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I guess I'll throw in as another person who doesn't really see the point in Smash with minimal stages and no items.

For me, anyway. I'm glad the option exists for other people! It just seems to me that the fun of paring down the complicated input BS from standard fighting games is that it gives the game the freedom to become more free-form in other aspects. To me, the items and stage design are integral parts of what make the system work. Without that stuff, the game seems... plain.

It always struck me as a missed opportunity for the competitive arena, too. Keeping in the stage elements and at least some of the less random and ridiculous items seems like it would allow for more interesting strategic play if you were the type of person to play competitively. Removing everything else makes it seem like... I dunno... playing Counterstrike, but the only map is one big empty room.

When I was in high school (so Smash 64, early melee days) my friends and I were pretty competitive, at least with each other. We sort established a middle ground where no levels were banned (though 64 had fewer really crazy ones like Rainbow Cruise, which we did remove from the melee rotation) all characters were in, but we turned off healing items, stars, hammers, and pokeballs.

And while we didn't explicitly forbid it, it was considered unsporting to place the proximity mines or use the guns and melee items as actual weapons. The real game was in using them as projectiles to hit other people in midair.

steam_sig.png
  • InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    The thing about competitive style smash is that it isn't "sucking the fun" out of anything. They're just enjoying a kind of fun that you, currently, are not. There's nothing wrong with you loving all the chaos of maximum items and nothing wrong with them not wanting them getting in the way of playing the game their way any more than there's a problem with one person enjoying Splatoon 2 Turf War and another enjoying high-level Quake 3.

If someone who plays competitively talks down to you, obviously feel free to diss that person, but dissing an entire group of people because of their playstyle based on the accusation or expectation that they are going to diss you for your playstyle is just hypocritical.