As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Y'know who needs to show up dramatically in the middle of the story and start wrecking shit? Garruk.

I want my meaty planeswalker-hunter boy back.

I would lose my mind if like, right in the middle of the next big fight between our core 5 walkers and Bolas, Garruk shows up, grabs Liliana and 'walks away and the gang is just like, "Oh, well, fuck us, then."

Garruk, the Kool-Aid Man

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    At least once a day, when I'm playing with Selesnya Tokens on Arena, I have an opponent cast a Viashino Pyromancer while I have a Shalai in play. There's a pause, Shalai is highlighted, Pyromancer is highlighted, and then my opponent concedes.
    To be fair, Shalai is just a great big NOPE to Burn decks. Unless they have a lava coil they're kinda boned.

To take this further, Boros Angels totally destroys burn decks. Shalai + Lifegain = well nope.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    hey can someone tell me what the fuck exactly is actually going on in the maze of ith art
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Think Maze of Intestines.

Then feel free to vomit.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Playing in an ultimate masters draft. What would you have to open in a pack to drop from the event? Double liliana?

I mean, some of the foils can get pretty crazy. Phyrexian Altar may be down to $15 but the foil is still $50.

Whippy wrote: »
    hey can someone tell me what the fuck exactly is actually going on in the maze of ith art
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

Anson Maddocks is happening. He did some crazy neat bodyhorror art for the older sets.

ew9y0DD.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

Anson Maddocks is happening. He did some crazy neat bodyhorror art for the older sets.

Living Wall comes to mind...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Playing in an ultimate masters draft. What would you have to open in a pack to drop from the event? Double liliana?

I mean, some of the foils can get pretty crazy. Phyrexian Altar may be down to $15 but the foil is still $50.

I ended up with Back to Basics, Phyrexian Tower and Tasigur as my rares. Not horrible.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

I just see a huge, angry scrotum.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

I just see a huge, angry scrotum.

No that's on Living Wall

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ooooh early leaked Ravnica Alliances promo card
    (image)
    OhUqk6zl.jpg
    (translation)
    "Light the Scene"(?) - 2R
    Sorcery
    Spectacle (?) R
    Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    agok6gsbdlbf.jpeg

I think the concept is that it's supposed to be a facsimile of Ith's brain and Ith's brain is so fucking confusing to himself that it's enough to just warp someone's shit for a day.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Man, my limited hubris came back to bite me.

Just did 3 Arena drafts this week where the few wins I scraped were tooth and claw affairs and every loss was a ROFLstomp affair with multiple mulls to 5 or less and opponents c-c-combo breaking like they were getting paid to hunt me.

Did 2 Dominaria drafts and had 3(!) games involving T3 Chainwhirler and 2 involving T4 Zahid.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    I need to get back into drafting on Arena. I tried it a few times and it just felt super-off and weird to me.

As soon as GRN is back on quickdraft, I'll do a bunch of 'em and see if it has changed.

ew9y0DD.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Boy you know it's going to be a bad game when the opponents turn one through three is Ajani's welcome and Pridemate on turn 3.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I had one of those draft wins where you just feel bad about how your curve works out

t2 - Elfhame Druid
    t3 - kicked Untamed Kavu
    t4 - kicked Saproling Migration

I'd almost forgotten that the Druid had a second ability.

KalTorak on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just realized the artwork for Lava Spike in UMA is a hilarious joke.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=456732&type=card

It hits face

I ate an engineer
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DB1BHQ5XsAMGPTu.png

Man, it sure is a neat coincidence that Arena's rise in prominence and popularity also happens to come during one of few recent times that standard is fun.

One might go so far as to argue that Arena being popular is in no small part because standard is good right now.

ew9y0DD.png
    Also, a few of the top decks are mono-color and relatively light on rares.

Mono-Red runs like, 12 rares and a couple of mythics.

Mono-Blue runs 4 rares and some uncommons.

Izzet Drakes runs 8 rares (all lands) and 4 mythics.

Mono-white runs 8 rares and 4 mythics, I think? (Benalish Marshall, Legion's Landing, History of Benalia?)

Golgari and any control deck run omgwtf mythics.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    monowhite also has venerated loxodon

you don't need to play every single rare though

I've even been running old busted ass Steel Leaf stompy to moderate success.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    And here I am with my 20-Rare, 11-Mythic GW Tokens mainboard. Although if I could assemble all that for free, it makes me wonder why I would spend money on Arena?

Had an interesting time at Modern last night with Abzan Aristocrats, though. I almost survived the second Emrakul of the game. Turns out Rally the Ancestors interacts with it really interestingly. "Oh, Annihilator 6? Why thank you, I was having trouble finding a Viscera Seer!"

It does take quite a bit of grinding to assemble all that "for free". Plus if you want to draft more than once or twice a week without running hot, that's cash dropped as well.

ooooh more Alliance leaks
    (image)
    kouoyjf8fi421.jpg
    Rakdos Firewheeler - BBRR
    Creature - Human Rogue
    When Rakdos Firewheeler enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target opponent and 2 damage to up to one target creature or planeswalker.
    4/3
    The Haunt of Hightower - 4BB
    Legendary Creature - Vampire
    Flying, Lifelink
    Whenever ~ attacks, defending player discards a card.
    Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    3/3
    Growth Spiral - GU
    Instant
    Draw a card. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
    Simic Ascendancy - GU
    Enchantment
    1GU: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
    Whenever one or more +1/+1 counters are put on a creature you control, put that many growth counters on Simic Ascendancy.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if Simic Ascendancy has twenty or more growth counters on it, you win the game.

Also Mortify reprint.

Welp. Firewheeler won't see play in my Rakdos deck. Phoenix is just straight up better in the 4 slot.

ew9y0DD.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Growth Spiral is GREAT

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Growth Spiral is GREAT

Yeah that's a hella strong card.

They cast two Growth Spirals, they're good.

ew9y0DD.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Hoo hoo hoo Simic Ascendancy is 100% my shit.

Let's go Simic lets get dumb in this motherfucker.

X22wmuF.jpg
    They cast two Growth Spirals, they're good.

Fuck Bertoncheaty though

I ate an engineer
    But seriously a fucking instant speed explore for Simic, that's nuuuuuuuuuuuts. Bant Control anyone?

I ate an engineer
    yeah that's a nice option to cast with the two lands Teferi untapped for you

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Just note that "put a land into play" is not the same thing as "play a land", but I believe that only impacts older cards like Horn of Greed.

The standard relevant reasons why you'd rather have "play an extra land this turn" rather than "put a land in play" are basically just Crucible of Worlds or if you're casting it purely to cantrip and hit another cantrip that hit you a land.

I ate an engineer
    The way Growth Spiral is worded allows you to not only play a land on their turn, but also allows you to play a land if you draw it from the cantrip.

Given that it's in simic, this allows you to hold up counters, cast this if you don't need to, etc. It's good.

Also glad someone caught my reference~

ew9y0DD.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    3o1e9brkknmv.jpg

That, uh, that's a pretty good hate bear.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Unless you play Standard, in which case it does almost nothing. (Unless one of the other guilds' mechanic is a discount; Spectacle only is sometimes.)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
This discussion has been closed.