As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Azur Lane] Access Mode: GRIDMAN UNIVERSE Rerun!

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Ooh, okay--so you must get every "branch" before advancing? That makes sense.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Patch notes are out. Opposite-Colored Divergent Chessboard and Christmas events, Crescent and Comet remodels. St. Louis, Aurora, Atago, Prince of Whales, and Vampire are all going into the construction pools. Aurora and the Z-Force weren't announced previously.

Divergent Chessboard Probably JP version

Holy Night of Love and Peace

steam_sig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Nearly all ships have to be level 85 before you can get their final upgrade

The starter destroyers (and other elites in the future, going by the wiki) have an extra skill that unlocks at level 90 but are otherwise the same

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hah, I love the beer pool in the upcoming Ironblood HQ dorm set.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

click for the patch notes cause twitter's embedding is crap, the img file is too damn big and i'm too lazy to resize it
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Nearly all ships have to be level 85 before you can get their final upgrade

The starter destroyers (and other elites in the future, going by the wiki) have an extra skill that unlocks at level 90 but are otherwise the same

those skills are from retrofits and are only unlocked upon paying for that particular node in the retrofit tree, which is level gated at 90 - they don't obtain them from just leveling

Orphane on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I usually just do my 10 exercises with my usual daily stuff and don't think about them. I just checked my merit and whoops, I have almost 80k. I should probably start spending that....

Edit: This Akashi questline is weird. She wanted me to defeat 8-4, then she wanted me to really test myself by defeating Hard 1-4.

Sir Carcass on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Divergent Chessboard is now live on EN! CN and JP servers are hosting the Graf Spee rerun.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So it's safe to open Ironblood boxes now?

So it's safe to open Ironblood boxes now?

There was a Reddit post earlier that had mag torps coming from boxes so Imma say yes.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Well, I got a bunch of Kriegsmarine destroyers, and the Illustrious. Sooo...that's a good thing?

Interesting. There's an EX Dangerous mode that I can't find anything about on either the original or rerun event pages on the Wiki.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Interesting. There's an EX Dangerous mode that I can't find anything about on either the original or rerun event pages on the Wiki.

First EX map was Fallen Wings IIRC so the original wouldn't have one. Going by this map selection screenshot there was an EX map in the rerun so there should be some youtube videos or something. In fact this is pretty much the rerun version just without the submarine stuff and maybe a little bit of difficulty balancing.

steam_sig.png
    the ships available indicate that this should be the "rerun" version of the event which makes sense, because there wouldn't be any reason to run the original version with less content/ships

the enemy ship levels i've run into so far on hard seems like we got the JP version of the event, which was tuned down a little compared to the CN one since presumably CN servers have been out for longer

Scharnhorst and Gneisnau are stationary bosses in A4/C4

ycpww63wmy9h.png

Ayanami likes that. She likes that a lot.

edited December 2018
    Sorry for the triple post but i cleared the EX stage

It's like the Fallen Wings EX as opposed to the Neptunia one, just a single boss fight with lots of danmaku and most importantly, it doesn't cost fuel to attempt so practice is free!

I cleared it with Helena frontline and Hood, Washington, and Enterprise in back

Tirpitz alternates between two patterns, pattern A with bullets that fragment into smaller ones which spiral around and pattern B where she hoses bullets and you have to do small, precise moves to stay out of damage. As she starts losing health she adds aimed, high damage shots to pattern A that you want to avoid and marked artillery shots (red warning circles) to pattern B that you also want to avoid. It's fine to take a few scatter bullets or the hose ones if it means avoiding the bigger, more dangerous hits. Tirpitz is completely stationary during Pattern A (if you're using carriers with Sakura torps, now is the time to use them) and moves up and down during pattern B. I tended to hold onto E's airstrikes for when Tirpitz was in pattern A since carriers usually can bank up to 2 but tended to fire BB volleys as soon as i got them, partially cause Hood wants to get off as many volleys as possible due to her skill being proc based and since BBs can't bank volleys.

Mostly if you focus on dodging bullets your backline should wear her down eventually. I brought Helena for the occasional 40% dmg debuff on the boss. I saw a vid which used Ayanami and magnetic torps, which i might try after i get the rainbow ones.

Orphane on
    Got all the ships in the construction pool now I just need to get the drop only ships and get off my lazy butt and start doing the hard maps. They also announced Honolulu coming in the next patch 12/21 she only drops in world 10 so stealth Jintsuu announcement too.

steam_sig.png
    Quick question about Z46, does her AP damage boost skill apply to the shells in her barrage or is it only applied to shells from the main gun?

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Quick question about Z46, does her AP damage boost skill apply to the shells in her barrage or is it only applied to shells from the main gun?

i don't see why it wouldn't

but using AP guns on Destroyers is kind of icky even if Z46 and her colleagues have AP expert because of ammo type modifiers against the 3 armor types

Speaking of, I might want to add an Ammo VS Armor chart to the OP...

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Orphane wrote: »

but using AP guns on Destroyers is kind of icky even if Z46 and her colleagues have AP expert because of ammo type modifiers against the 3 armor types

I know that DD AP guns are bad, that's why I was asking if it applied to her barrage, because I won't bother leveling it if it doesn't

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2018
    After a lot of practice, a lot of swearing at myself for getting careless/greedy, and some RNG, I managed to get a 5k+ kill score on the EX stage!

p0vt50abpiry.png

I ended up using Hood, Enterprise, Illustrious, Ayanami, and Helena- Hood for the reload buff on the backrow (every second counts!), Enterprise for damage, Illustrious for her shield which was instrumental for keeping Ayanami alive so I could aggressively launch torps at point blank, and Helena for her ever-useful Radar Scan debuff.

I put the rainbow magnetic torps on Ayanami which are much more forgiving since you don't have to be literally nestled up against the enemy like you do for standard torps, and basically only tried to press torp/airstrike buttons when Supernatural was up and Radar Scan was on Tirpitz.

damage chart ended up looking like this:
    k6jld3ubdywv.png

For reference, Ayanami's base magnetic torp damage with no Supernatural or Radar scan was 3.4k-ish per torp, jumping to 5.4k-ish with Supernatural, and reaching 7k+ with Supernatural and Radar Scan active. Demon Dance torps hit for somewhat less but were still a considerable amount of damage, so I tried to be on the same x-axis as Tirpitz as much as I could.

I might try later with regular torps to see how hard i can hit but it's still pretty tough to land all of them especially with the highest damage 610mm only having 4 torps in a spread.

Orphane on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Orphane wrote: »

I know that DD AP guns are bad, that's why I was asking if it applied to her barrage, because I won't bother leveling it if it doesn't

Did some testing and it does boost her barrage.

steam_sig.png
    I saw they fixed the jiggle physics in the Live2D stuff for EN (apparently it was using the "censored" Korean and Chinese version). Praise be to Sandy!

edited December 2018
    After a lucky 10-pull I got Z46 and Z25 so now I'm just missing Admiral Hipper from construction, Deutschland, and Gneisenau. I will probably nurse my cubes by only doing the 3 crafts a day and then only try to do mass pulls if I don't get Hipper before the event ends. Guess i'll probably have to start farming for Deutschland as well, since getting Gneisenau is only a matter of time.

Orphane on
    If anyone's interested, Crunchyroll interviewed the devs in CN. Video.

Also, for those playing on CN or JP, they finally announced the Ryuujou event.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited December 2018
    Hiryuu and Souryuu Retrofits just announced.

I've five Hiryuu and zero Souryuu. plz game

EDIT: Maint starts in half an hour.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Hiryuu and Souryuu Retrofits just announced.

I've five Hiryuu and zero Souryuu. plz game

EDIT: Maint starts in half an hour.

Only announced for CN/JP so far right? Plenty of time to farm 3-2 for Souryuss SB2C Helldivers.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    Hiryuu has a pvp skill and Souryuu has fleet carrier as their non pair skill? Hmm

Gonna have to be at least a decent baseline kind of retrofit skill to make them worth taking over Zuikaku/Shoukaku imo unless their retrofits just roid them out statwise like Portland

Orphane on
    edited January 2019
    new post since we're back to regular forums

two more things actually make that three @UrQuanLord88
    1. I would try to enhance only purple, gold, and rainbow quality gear except for a few outlier blue equips such as the fire suppressor, hydraulic steering gear/navy camoflauge, and the 76mm DD gun (meant for very specific shipgirls that want to keep their "on-shot" skills constantly procced, the most famous being Ayanami). Blue guns, torpedos, and planes are mostly going to be transitional gear you use early and then drop in favor of purple and gold equips as you get them, so if you want to get the most out of your equip enhancement plates I would consider enhancing blue equips to +3 early and then stopping (they cap out at +6 anyways compared to purple and above capping at +10). Rainbow gear is special and only obtained via events so far so don't worry about getting them because they don't drop from any equip boxes.
    2. When you're fighting enemy fleets, the type of fleet influences what types of enemy shipgirls you encounter (which comes into play in later stages since that affects how they attack) and more importantly for you early on, what kind of enhancement plate drops you get for enhancing gear: main fleets (the big battleship-looking ones) drop main gun, anti-air, and general plates; aviation fleets (the carrier ones) drop aircraft, anti-air, and general plates; recon fleets (the small ones) drop torpedo, anti-air, and general plates. I would say try to mostly fight main and aviation fleets when you're clearing maps because the demand for main gun and aircraft plates are way higher than torpedo plates unless you're trying to build all-torpedo fleets. It's possible to build up a stockpile of torpedo plates but you will constantly feel like you're out of main gun plates the moment you want to outfit a few new ships. Needing aircraft plates is because light carriers/carriers field 2/3 aircraft and you will at least want to enhance your dive bombers and torpedo bombers, with fighters taking lower priority, to get the most damage out of airstrikes.
    3. It's possible to move your ships on the stage to avoid unnecessary fights if you know the rationale behind enemy flagship and fodder fleets spawning. Obviously, new fleets will never respawn on the wreckage of old ones so any fleet you clear out will make that square passable for good, but you can also move your fleets accordingly on top of empty chokepoints to prevent enemy ships spawning there and blocking your fleets from passing by. Remember that you can get one fleet into a battle and then back out to move your other fleet around, although you won't be able to move your other fleet through any fleet currently in combat with the enemy. Flagship enemies usually have 1-3 spots they can spawn on the map depending on what world you're in, so if you pay attention you can also move your ships so that they're less likely to be blocked off from possible flagship spawns as well. Clearing fleets in such a way as to prevent you from being blocked off can save you a lot of extra unnecessary fights that will accumulate damage on your fleets, waste ammo, and waste oil. Ambush fleets and airstrikes have a chance to occur as your fleets move around on the map; airstrikes are just chip damage on all your ships while ambush fleets are a time-wasting pita that have worse rewards than regular enemy fleets. You can raise your chance of avoiding enemy ambushes by using a destroyer to raise your recon value and also equip SG radar auxiliaries once you start getting them out of boxes since those both lower your chance to get ambushed in the first place and increase your odds of evading once you do get attacked on top of their stat bonuses.

Orphane on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Danger levels are so good.

I have 10-4 down to 0 now so I can farm Jintsuu without worrying too much. Still manual modeing the boss though just to make sure I get the S ranks.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Aaand we're back!

- "Crimson Echoes", an event featuring battleship Kaga and battlecruiser Akari, is anticipated to begin on January 10.
    - Christmas Town, Boar Feast and Sakura Empire Shogatsu dorm themes will be available for a limited time.
    - IJN Isokaze is our January login reward ship.

I really wish I could be bothered to get all the dorm coins needed for this furniture.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    I just got all the limited time Christmas stuff and they are dropping 2 more limited time sets.

steam_sig.png
    Okay, I've updated the OP with current events and some stuff about the maps and enemy fleets.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Hello! I was inspired by the holiday post for this game to install and give it a try.

I actually briefly tried it when the game first came out, but it didn't hold my attention. Turns out, there's a bit more depth to the game and I didn't give it a chance.

So now I'm attempting to muddle my way through. I've cleared most of the first map, and started the 2nd one. I haven't made a 2nd fleet yet though, as I only have the two back-line ships you start with. I guess I should move one of those to the 2nd fleet? I tried a couple constructions and didn't appear to get anything worthwhile.

I did get Leander somewhere, and the OP says that's a decent ship?

I chose Javelin as my starter ship, hopefully that doesn't matter too much?

Also, my grandfather served on the USS Slater in WW2. It was a Destroyer Escort, so I'm not sure it's in the game. It would be fun for a giggle to have his ship though. Even if the ship would be an anime girl.

I'm currently digesting the OP here and some of the other posts.
    Several times it says not to open the T1 or T2 boxes, that they can be combined for higher tier boxes. Where is that done? When I was playing yesterday I didn't see the option, but I'm sure I just missed it.

I did get a bunch of T4 Sakura boxes. Some sort of free gift I think? OP says to open those right away, which I'll do shortly.

Also, I saw a "tips" video on Youtube that said you shouldn't Limit Break until higher levels or something?

So many questions :) . I should just play some more.

edited January 2019
    Selner wrote: »
    Hello! I was inspired by the holiday post for this game to install and give it a try.

I actually briefly tried it when the game first came out, but it didn't hold my attention. Turns out, there's a bit more depth to the game and I didn't give it a chance.

So now I'm attempting to muddle my way through. I've cleared most of the first map, and started the 2nd one. I haven't made a 2nd fleet yet though, as I only have the two back-line ships you start with. I guess I should move one of those to the 2nd fleet? I tried a couple constructions and didn't appear to get anything worthwhile.

I did get Leander somewhere, and the OP says that's a decent ship?

I chose Javelin as my starter ship, hopefully that doesn't matter too much?

Also, my grandfather served on the USS Slater in WW2. It was a Destroyer Escort, so I'm not sure it's in the game. It would be fun for a giggle to have his ship though. Even if the ship would be an anime girl.

I'm currently digesting the OP here and some of the other posts.
    Several times it says not to open the T1 or T2 boxes, that they can be combined for higher tier boxes. Where is that done? When I was playing yesterday I didn't see the option, but I'm sure I just missed it.

I did get a bunch of T4 Sakura boxes. Some sort of free gift I think? OP says to open those right away, which I'll do shortly.

Also, I saw a "tips" video on Youtube that said you shouldn't Limit Break until higher levels or something?

So many questions :) . I should just play some more.

I would probably work on getting some more ships before tackling the levels that require 2 fleets. You'll probably want 6 ships per, at least until you know enough to know when you want less. Anything will work, really. Don't worry about fielding Commons at this point. By all means give it a go (there's no real penalty for retreating that I know of, other than lost oil), but if you're finding it too tough, work on leveling up a bit before trying again.

For combining boxes, you go into your Storage, tap one of the T1 or T2 boxes if you have 5 or more, and select Craft. It turns 5 of one tier into 1 of the next tier.

Limit Breaking increases ships strength and max level, but it also increases their oil requirement, making them more expensive to field. Unless you plan on grinding a lot, I would limit break as soon as you can, at least to get a couple of strong fleets. I only run into oil problems when I'm grinding my maxed ships for an event. Normal play never presented a problem. You can limit break when the ship is at level 10, level 30, and level 70.

Sir Carcass on
    edited January 2019
    I noticed you didn't have a section on daily challenges on the OP so I figured I'd do a quick writeup @Ianator just in case anyone could use some tips about them.

Daily challenges are the biggest incentive to raise your commander level since the higher leveled you are, the better the rewards from the daily challenges. They're your only consistent source of skill books and equipment boxes, and greatly supplement your equipment plate supply.
    The daily challenges are on a set schedule: Escort Cargo (Plates) on Monday/Thursday, Maritime Attack (Skill Books) on Tuesday/Friday, Urgent Ops (Equip Boxes) on Wednesday/Saturday, and most importantly, all 3 of them can be done on Sunday.

For the Plate challenge, it's usually best to field a single frontline ship to both save oil and make it easier to dodge and then field aircraft carriers since air strikes clear the screen of enemy attacks. You can field only 1 backline ship to save oil or field backline ships you're leveling since they aren't under any threat and all you have to do is survive till the end anyways. The easy albeit boring way to clear this challenge is to drop your single vanguard ship as far back towards the left side of the screen as possible, which should make it so that only the front row of torpedo ships will aggro (although the configuration of torpedo ships is different for each level tier, and I confess i haven't done the lower-level ones in a long time and don't remember their particular formation or firing patterns) and so you're only dealing with 1/2 to 1/3 of the torpedoes you would be if you were up in their faces where the game spawns you. Once you're far back, just move up and down slowly to dodge incoming torps with minimal movements.
    One thing to note about Escort Cargo is that it's split into Escort Cargo (Firepower) and Escort Cargo (Air), so pick depending on what plates you need. 90% of the time I pick Firepower all 3 times, though.

For the Skill book challenge, I would recommend light cruisers or destroyers since they have faster reload times and can keep up shots against the multiple waves of suicide boats the challenge pits you against. I would also highly recommend a battleship backline, preferably ones able to equip CL secondary guns, and then equip the Triple 152mm scattergun so they can spray shots and easily deal with stragglers that slip through. I personally run Queen Elizabeth, Rodney, and Nelson since they can all use the Triple 152mm, Rodney and Nelson can proc screen-clearing barrages that can chew through multiple waves of fireboats if I'm lucky, and Queen Elizabeth has the insane Queen's Command buff for all HMS ships (primarily buffing fp and reload).

For the Equipment box challenge, it's just a series of boss fights. Just bring your strongest fleet and maybe manual it if you want to get through it quicker since auto tends to waste torpedos and airstrikes.

Orphane on
    I prefer the Twin 152mm for suicide boat defense, they have a slightly smaller AoE than the Triple 152mm but the AP rounds travel much faster than the Triple's HE

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Honestly, outside of events, lack of oil is never a concern for me. If anything, I don't play enough and am always overflowing with oil, which is why I stopped worrying about oil costs and just do my dailies with whatever my current fleet comp happens to be (I only change the backline to carriers/bbs as necessary)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Before the Neptunia event I found out you have a hard cap of 25K oil and can't collect commissions or mail rewards if they put you over.

steam_sig.png