As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
So MK11 was announced at the Game Awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTams2yc0s

Full reveal coming in January, with the game launching in April. Details are slightly sparse, but MK11 does appear to continue from MKX and also incorporate time-travel. So it's probably going to be a stupid story, but hopefully the good kind of stupid. This also means we might be in a Smash Bros. Ultimate "EVERYONE IS HERE!" situation, which is great because I got pretty good with Mileena in MKX and I hope she returns for 11.

It is Warner Bros. so expect DLC and probably microtransaction tomfoolery. Already announced is Shao Khan as a preorder bonus.

Also leaks!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Tnm0H6QKA

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Skull2185 on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Assuming that leaked info is correct, that's kind of exciting. They appear to be merging MKx's variations with Injustice 2's loot system, which is neat!

I also wonder what the guest characters will be like this time, still horror movie characters or something else? I do like the idea of Robocop and The Terminator in Mortal Kombat. Plus the T-800 would fit into a time travel story, if a guest character is in fact going to appear in the story mode.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    With all the stuff going into this one, I hope MK 11 has significantly more stages than MKX did. It’s arguably a lesser concern but there wasn’t enough backgrounds, which really limited the feel and scope of the game.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i'm super hyped for this. cross post from the toy thread but it is on topic:
    Holy shit this would be amazing

I love most kharacters in MK but baraka is so unique that it's amazing to see him getting a figure

With all the stuff going into this one, I hope MK 11 has significantly more stages than MKX did. It’s arguably a lesser concern but there wasn’t enough backgrounds, which really limited the feel and scope of the game.

I could be wrong, but I think there will be a good amount of both characters and stages in the new game. If the time travel thing is accurate, they could mix a lot of classic characters and stages with whatever new ones they come up with.

Also excited for the "new engine". Most assuredly it'll be UE4, but considering the wizardry they pulled off with UE3 for Injustice 2, MK11 should look amazing. Improved "gore-tech" engine for fatalities should be interesting too.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder who is handling the Switch version?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    WB tends to use High Voltage for ports, I think.

Spawn is in maybe

Somebody asked McFarlane during an AMA if Spawn might appear in MK11 and he answered "I believe he's on his way"

i feel like i've heard the spawn in MK rumor before. i think he'd make an appropriate guest kharacter though

edited December 2018

More stuff, nothing super mind blowing. He talks about the Spawn thing, and another retailer leaking some info. But like, Liu Kang and Sub-Zero are practically a given for a MK game. The possibility of HD Remakes of the original 3 MK games is kind of exciting though. Not sure what Max means about MK returning to a Nintendo console being so huge, though. Like, it's cool that it's going to be on Switch but I don't get what he means by "It might mean some things".

Also he's going to do a Mortal Kombat Legacy series, which is awesome. Love watching the legacy stuff he does. The recent run through of games with Ken were all great.

Skull2185 on
    They just did remakes recently didn't they? While I love the old games they don't hold up fantastically

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They just did remakes recently didn't they? While I love the old games they don't hold up fantastically

The HD remakes were cancelled quite a while ago.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

The HD remakes were cancelled quite a while ago.

Honestly, wise move. MK2 is fun to go back to very occasionally, for nostalgia's sake, but I think I would feel like an HD remake of it would be a whole lot of talented effort wasted.

it isnt official but there is that fan projet that has a bunch of old kharacters in it that i think uses the MK3 engine. kinda like MK triology but they are trying to maintain it competitively. wish i could remember what the hell it is called

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally got Mortal Kombat XL in a sale. Seems like good old MK fun, but I can’t seem to get PS4 button prompts without it seems using a third party program. Is that right?

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

More stuff, nothing super mind blowing. He talks about the Spawn thing, and another retailer leaking some info. But like, Liu Kang and Sub-Zero are practically a given for a MK game. The possibility of HD Remakes of the original 3 MK games is kind of exciting though. Not sure what Max means about MK returning to a Nintendo console being so huge, though. Like, it's cool that it's going to be on Switch but I don't get what he means by "It might mean some things".

Also he's going to do a Mortal Kombat Legacy series, which is awesome. Love watching the legacy stuff he does. The recent run through of games with Ken were all great.

I think by "It might mean some things." is that Max has had a theory that a MK character, likely Sub Zero, will appear in Smash Brothers.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mortal Kombat seems like a weird crossover for a Smash character but honestly, weirder things have happened so who knows

I'm less than excited that the loot system from Injustice 2 is coming to MK. It was... Fine, but poorly weighted towards trash drops. I never fully completed my Nightwing armor set for Robin because the challenges were so crazy rough. And that was like, the one character I played most of the time.

Local H Jay on
    I was hoping they'd take a break from fighting games and do another Shaolin Monks type game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I was hoping they'd take a break from fighting games and do another Shaolin Monks type game.

I think the rumor was that 11 would feature a similar campaign mode to SM, and that's why it took an extra year for them to drop 11 compared to their usual schedule.

Sub-Zero would be cool (hah!) to see in Smash. With the way guest characters in fighting games have been lately, basically anyone you can think of is a possibility for any fighting game. I'm calling it now, Cedric the Entertainer is going to be the surprise on the next Tekken fighter pass.

Some more leaks seem to suggest Sonya is confirmed for MK11, which again is practically a given, but they also mention that she'll played by Ronda Rousey. That would be pretty badass, if true.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    A Shaolin Monks style beat ‘me up mode inside a full Mortal Kombat game would turn this into a day 1 buy.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I hope we don’t get a repeat of Injustice 2’s systems. The gear was a mostly useless or looked terrible. You run out of space quickly and it’s a pain to sort through to decide what to sell.

Then those single player challenges.... man those were terribly balanced. The only hope I had to complete them was to throw a fully powered up CPU at it. Even then the CPU would have to repeat the challenge over and over before getting lucky. I found that I was watching Injustice 2 more than I was actually playing it. You know there’s something wrong with the game when that’s happening.

Overall I still enjoy Netherrealm games so I’m optimistic.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    NRS fixed loot inventory pretty quick in Injustice 2. Very easy to bulk sell the stuff you don't want. Lotta cool gear in there too, so I'm excited for the possibility of it returning in MK11. I do hope there's a bit of a better SP element outside of the story in MK11 compared to Injustice 2. The multiverse wasn't great with all those lame modifiers, so I ended up just playing the normal arcade ladder planet most of the time.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    If they end up going with the same system, I just hope it doesn’t take so damn long to fully level up the kharacters this time around.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Not sure what Max means about MK returning to a Nintendo console being so huge, though. Like, it's cool that it's going to be on Switch but I don't get what he means by "It might mean some things".

Has there ever been an MK on a Nintendo console with gore + blood?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Not sure what Max means about MK returning to a Nintendo console being so huge, though. Like, it's cool that it's going to be on Switch but I don't get what he means by "It might mean some things".

Has there ever been an MK on a Nintendo console with gore + blood?

MK1 was the only one that didn't have blood in it.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Right, MK2 was fine. Ugh, memories are going.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    You're not the only person who still thinks of bloodless MK on Nintendo. To this day Nintendo hasn't completely shaken the reputation they got when they censored SNES games. Even now Sony is more restrictive but Nintendo is the one with the kiddy reputation.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    You're not the only person who still thinks of bloodless MK on Nintendo. To this day Nintendo hasn't completely shaken the reputation they got when they censored SNES games. Even now Sony is more restrictive but Nintendo is the one with the kiddy reputation.

Well I mean, they *do* censor their own games for a western audience; I think the reputation is a bit earned

Well I mean, they *do* censor their own games for a western audience; I think the reputation is a bit earned

They definitely earned some of it but they're perceived very differently than the competition. Shows how one bad decision has long lasting impact.

Sometimes I forget Scorpion's sad and tragic MK lore :(

74gybibbi9521.jpg

speaking of MK lore: i really do wonder where the story is going to go in this game. i said it in the fighting game thread, but this is kinda where things started to get weird in the original timeline. obviously things have been altered but it will be very interesting to see what characters return or whether any other events play out similarly

Looks like time travel shenanigans.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    speaking of MK lore: i really do wonder where the story is going to go in this game. i said it in the fighting game thread, but this is kinda where things started to get weird in the original timeline. obviously things have been altered but it will be very interesting to see what characters return or whether any other events play out similarly

I always find it amusing how much back story and stuff there is to fighting games.
    I mean, I suck at the genre so it's rarely high on my list of go to entertainment, so the most depth I tend to get is "Yellow guy or blue guy?" on the character select screen.
    But then I'll fall down a wiki hole learning about the 6 realms fighting a constant war for supremacy by way of single elimination millennial fighting tournaments and ancient and new gods and sorcerers and everything else that you've got running in the background.

And it's just amusing how much back story there is for the genre in general. I don't think I've seen one where it's just "All these guys are getting together to fight and see who's the best. Also, there might be prize money.". No cyborgs, no soul eating wizards, no secret plans for world domination, no "big boss killed by sister/father/best friend's third favorite gecko" tragic back story driving revenge.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The original Tekken was all about prize money. Technically, so was KoF '94.

Then shit went insane.

Tekken became a father/son/evil corporation/devil gene anime, and KoF was all about ancient Japanese treasure lore and evil god blood, before it went a step further and I can't even describe what KoF is about now. I blame that period of time when SNK went bankrupt and the game was being handled by some Korean developer before going back to SNK.

Backstories of characters relative/kin/fish being killed and revenge plots are more for the Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur series.

I think Virtua Fighter might have been the most pure, in terms of character stories, in that there really weren't any. At least not for the first three games.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

My friend is a huge KoF nerd and sometimes he just goes off about characters and lore and I just nod my head solemnly, knowing it's probably pretty cool but I don't understand a lick of it

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I can tell you all about KoF right up until about 2000. It really started going off the rails right around there thanks to the inclusion of TETSUOOOO...

g7dnwfe058db.gif

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Ah yeah my friend told me about how they lost the rights and had to rebrand the character

Pretty cool stuff

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The wiggling animation when the arm reaches full length just makes it look like he's tickling the other person.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don’t know. MK 11 has a lot of weird and fun potential because there’s sort of multiple powerful bad guys who could be the big bad now, compared to the usual story of there being one clear frontrunner for main villain, and then the other bad guys are markedly less powerful.

All of this could even get scrubbed before the new game even starts with the time travel shenanigans.

Looks like Max has begun his Mortal Kombat videos in preparation for the MK11 full reveal. Interesting tidbit at the beginning of this one about X-rays in MK11. They apparently might be just integrated into regular combos now, leaving the possibility of new supers for everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIqFdtzBDxQ

Pretty funny how tame the xrays in MK9 seem now too.

Also love the new intro for his videos too. LET'S GO!