As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think there are now officially too many bindings for me to have them all on the hotas

You can skip the FSS stuff and just scan the nav beacons and it will identify all the USS for you.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bigity wrote: »
    I think there are now officially too many bindings for me to have them all on the hotas

You can skip the FSS stuff and just scan the nav beacons and it will identify all the USS for you.

What about systems that do not have a nav beacon though?

I bought one of those thrustmaster ps4 hotas thinking it'd be fun to get it on PS4 as well. Tried mapping all the buttons and there really is just too much for it to handle. Also found out that I now greatly prefer flying space ships with KBAM. I just like how it flys better - I know, I'm a heretic.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I've come to the conclusion that the only way to map all the buttons will be to do a modifier+ setup. I think I'll do 2 modifier buttons so that default are the nav/targeting/basic flight, one modifier button will change to combat focused and the second will be exploration/mining. Maybe that will be enough.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I bought one of those thrustmaster ps4 hotas thinking it'd be fun to get it on PS4 as well. Tried mapping all the buttons and there really is just too much for it to handle. Also found out that I now greatly prefer flying space ships with KBAM. I just like how it flys better - I know, I'm a heretic.

/Reported
    joking

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • JazzJazz Registered User regular
      Last time I played ED I was using a 360 controller.

<.<

>.>

*runs*

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
      I can't imagine using a controller with all the new bindings. Hotas for the win!

DS0mQJS.png

Then you either don't scan them or map the FSS controls :D

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
      edited December 2018

Then you either don't scan them or map the FSS controls or Voice Attack all of them and scan systems like you're in Star Trek :D
      FTFY

Beyond looks pretty rad so I'm gonna jump back in and give this a go. Here's hoping the game feels a little more lively thanks to all the QoL changes!

TOGSolid on
      wWuzwvJ.png
      Having a major issue with CZs since the patch. Always getting bounties and notoriety, ATR showing up, etc.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      That sucks. I'm just gonna pretend that they know you're secretly a pirate.

Zerocz wrote: »
      That sucks. I'm just gonna pretend that they know you're secretly a pirate.

It's no secret :D

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
      Has anyone implemented an easy way yet to use the galaxy map while in VR?

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      Has anyone implemented an easy way yet to use the galaxy map while in VR?

If you use a HOTAS with some extra hats it’s pretty easy to do. Pitch/yaw on the main joysitck axes, one hat for up/down translation, another for forward/back/left/right.

Edit: being able to touch type to search systems helps immensely.

Syngyne on
      5gsowHm.png
    • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      Vr gives better situational awareness in this, as a general rule.

Interesting. I already had TrackIR , so it's not the head tracking ability.

It's definitely worse in games like War Thunder, no question there, but ED is very much an inside cockpit setup.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      Synthesis wrote: »

It's definitely worse in games like War Thunder, no question there, but ED is very much an inside cockpit setup.

War Thunder is bad in VR because a P-51 and a FW-190 are indistinguishable until you're about 200 yards out.

It's otherwise amazing. :D

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      Elvenshae wrote: »

War Thunder is bad in VR because a P-51 and a FW-190 are indistinguishable until you're about 200 yards out.

Oh, I know it's amazing. Everyone's just way worse at it--unsurprisingly. In an ideal world, everyone else would be playing the game in VR except me. :D

Also, no one can land in VR. Like that ever stopped anyone. :lol:

Synthesis on
      I must have some kind of superpower, then - I've actually managed carrier VR landings!

I mean, I've got, like, an 0-16 kills-to-deaths ratio, though ... :D

Oh, I know it's amazing. Everyone's just way worse at it--unsurprisingly. In an ideal world, everyone else would be playing the game in VR except me. :D

I can land fine in VR.

“Land” in this case meaning “set plane down rightside up and not on fire.”

Whether or not the plane can take back off again is up to the crew chief.

5gsowHm.png
    • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      You should try flying the Hs-129. I've gotten credit for landing that thing without landing gear, upside down, while on fire. "You plane will be rearmed and repaired in 20 seconds. "

Under pristine conditions it's easier and faster to just belly land it than it is to slow down to land on its gear.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
      Syngyne wrote: »

I can land fine in VR.

events-second-world-war-wwii-aerial-warfare-aircraft-crashed-damaged-BBN9T2.jpg

User level maintenance.

Syngyne wrote: »

I can land fine in VR.

"Any landing you can walk away from ..."

• TubeTube Registered User admin
      This thread is nominally about Elite Dangerous :P

My player faction in Obambojas is in election with the controlling faction! I hope we can somehow take a station from them.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
        All right y'all, gotta say the new player experience is a little rough (using an Oculus Rift and a HOTAS-X). First time it launched in VR wasn't in my headset - just looked 3D and moved with in the image on my desktop. Sorted that, ok training missions. Flight training is ok, although there were a bunch of unmapped buttons and it doesn't tell you that you can for instance look right and use that menu for landing gear. In and out of control menus, googling keybindings: with such a popular stick my expectation was to have some good defaults, but ok.

Combat tutorial was another take the headset off, google for a while, figure out wtf is going on. Got that sorted with the videos and stuff, moved on to advanced combat tutorial.
        Wasted a couple hours over 2 days trying to beat this, trying different things, googling, before finding a host of threads pointing out that it isn't combat 102, it's combat grad school and also isn't important to do before you start playing. That doesn't belong in the training menu imo, or should be described as such. Fine.

Let's actually start playing the game. Stuttering. Really bad stuttering in space stations, sometimes near planets. Try graphics settings including the preset for "VR low," nothing makes a difference. More googling. One says close Steam VR, so I close Steam VR and the game runs buttery smooth. Awesome. Turn it back up to VR high, still smooth, I make my way to a resource extraction site. This is rad. Pop out of hypercruise and... brutal stuttering again. Tried going back to VR low, no difference... ugh.

According to Steam I've got 3.3 hours in Elite Dangerous but I can tell you it feels like 1 hour of training missions, 10 minutes of playing the game, and 2.5 hours of googling and dinking around. It looks cool and I think it's going to be really fun when I can get 30 minutes without having to stop and google something, but what a pain in the arse. Off to try to figure out how to fix this stuttering I guess (i5-6600K, 16GB ram, GTX1060 6GB).

Skip tutorials, join our discord and/or ask questions there /here. Easier to ask us since the learning curve is crazy

edited December 2018
          Red Raevyn wrote: »
          All right y'all, gotta say the new player experience is a little rough (using an Oculus Rift and a HOTAS-X). First time it launched in VR wasn't in my headset - just looked 3D and moved with in the image on my desktop. Sorted that, ok training missions. Flight training is ok, although there were a bunch of unmapped buttons and it doesn't tell you that you can for instance look right and use that menu for landing gear. In and out of control menus, googling keybindings: with such a popular stick my expectation was to have some good defaults, but ok.

Combat tutorial was another take the headset off, google for a while, figure out wtf is going on. Got that sorted with the videos and stuff, moved on to advanced combat tutorial.
          Wasted a couple hours over 2 days trying to beat this, trying different things, googling, before finding a host of threads pointing out that it isn't combat 102, it's combat grad school and also isn't important to do before you start playing. That doesn't belong in the training menu imo, or should be described as such. Fine.

Let's actually start playing the game. Stuttering. Really bad stuttering in space stations, sometimes near planets. Try graphics settings including the preset for "VR low," nothing makes a difference. More googling. One says close Steam VR, so I close Steam VR and the game runs buttery smooth. Awesome. Turn it back up to VR high, still smooth, I make my way to a resource extraction site. This is rad. Pop out of hypercruise and... brutal stuttering again. Tried going back to VR low, no difference... ugh.

According to Steam I've got 3.3 hours in Elite Dangerous but I can tell you it feels like 1 hour of training missions, 10 minutes of playing the game, and 2.5 hours of googling and dinking around. It looks cool and I think it's going to be really fun when I can get 30 minutes without having to stop and google something, but what a pain in the arse. Off to try to figure out how to fix this stuttering I guess (i5-6600K, 16GB ram, GTX1060 6GB).

The "training and tutorials" weren't designed primarily as training and tutorials. They were the pre-beta gameplay content that early backers received to get a taste of the game before the servers went live. They've stuck around in the same state ever since.

That's why it has a weird stealth level where you dodge patrols in an asteroid belt, and then nothing like that ever happens in the main game. That demo level was made before they dropped that idea.

In regards to choppiness, resource extraction sites are taxing because of the billions of rocks that get rendered. You'll probably have a smoother ride in a war zone. Those have more fighting, less things getting rendered, and occasionally capital ships.

General_Armchair on
          3DS Friend Code:
        • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
          Yay, I finally have Horizons!

LET THE ENGINEERING-ENING BEGIN

steam_sig.png
          Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
          Backlog Challenge List
        • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
          Ianator wrote: »

You might want to get in on the awesome new mining too. It's very lucrative atm.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
          The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
        • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
          MuddBudd wrote: »

You might want to get in on the awesome new mining too. It's very lucrative atm.

I just did a couple hours ago.

...I think my Asp Explorer isn't gonna cut it anymore.

steam_sig.png
          Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
          Backlog Challenge List
          edited December 2018
          The asp explorer is one of the better ones because its hardpoint placement lets it really exploit the duplicate loot bug. If multiple abrasion blasters hit the resource node at the same time, then the loot gets duplicated.

I've been mining in my Federal Corvette. I tried using a Krait MkII for more speed, but I hated the sound of its engines and something else about it never clicked. My corvette may be slower, but it's comfy and I can bring all the toys that I need and more. I think that I've got 192 tons of cargo in addition to my class 5 FSD booster and class 7 fuel scoop, so I can freely make several jumps away from the most populated mining sites, plus on top of all of that I've got my beefy class seven shields and fighter bay. I detonate charges at point blank range, and the errant pirate is dealt with by launching fighters and powering up the weapons. If my mining site is within range of my fuel tank, then I can further increase cargo in excess of 100 additional tons.

General_Armchair on
          3DS Friend Code:
          MuddBudd wrote: »

I just did a couple hours ago.

...I think my Asp Explorer isn't gonna cut it anymore.

I love everything about my AspX except the cargo space. I fill up after 2-4 cores. I don't think I can add much more storage to it though, without losing essential equipment.

In HOTAS news, a small batch of VKB Gunfighter IIs + MCG grips are available in the US VKB store. You can't buy the grips separately, unfortunately.

5gsowHm.png
        • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
          I just bought the Horizons season pass on PS4. Sadly, I'm about to leave for the rest of the day for family Christmas Eve stuff. I'll have to check it out late tonight when I get home.

Excited though. I was actually really digging the base game, after getting into it and figuring out what was going on (somewhat).

I'm excited to have more space friends!

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
            Happy new year everyone, hope your Hollidays were nice.

During the recent noise about leaked thargoid models present in-game, I stumbled on this several months old leak:

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=-WzS-n0EiCI

It seems that space-legs may be more likely to come after all, in one way or another... maybe. Anyway, it's interesting that Frontier have more things going on than is generally known, at least if that is generated in game.

I've spent some time trying to grind out combat elite as that is the only one I still have left to do. Built an alliance challenger and equipped it for thargoid scout hunting, but the interceptors are really kicking my ass... guess I should try to get the guardian weapons but that seems like to much of a project heh. AX weapons will have to do for now.

edited January 2019
            I did some stuff tonight. Went and delivered some Performance Enhancers for the community goal, then came back to Eravate and played Fuel Rat for some NPCs.

Also played with an SRV for the first time. It was frustratingly obvious how I was supposed to get back to my ship after playing around in a ground station sandbox.

I'm spending more money than I'm making. Gotta get back into mining, especially with the Void Opal gold rush. And I need to find some Meta Alloys for engineering...

Ianator on
            steam_sig.png
            Backlog Challenge List
          • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
            Quick tip about the SRV. It has a driving assist, much like the ship's flight assist. With it on, you use the throttle to set a speed, and the SRV will try to maintain it (instantly, and often breaking traction to do so). With it off, the throttle behaves like a gas pedal in a car. Many commanders find it easier to control with driving assist off.

I prefer to think of my SRV like a bubble with wheels that sometimes are on the ground, and sometimes I'm just bouncing or rolling to get where I want.

I prefer to think of my SRV like a bubble with wheels that sometimes are on the ground, and sometimes I'm just bouncing or rolling to get where I want.

Has sudden flashbacks to Kerbal Space Program

Well that was an exciting session.

Note to self #1: Give your AspX standard shields. Bi-weaves do not stand up to limpets shoving core deposits into your cargo hatch, nor a seismic charge detonation, nor accidentally backing into another asteroid while attempting to get away from a seismic charge detonation.

Note to self #2: Find an alternative to taking the whole Vulture to get them engineered at Blaster McQuinn's place.

Note to self #3: Do more exploring. Scanning is kinda boring but I did come back with 5 mil and a couple First Discoveries just from three systems on the Road to Riches.

steam_sig.png
            Backlog Challenge List