As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My next opponent in the Grand Arena has a G12 Enfys Nest in his inventory. I'm assuming I'm going to have to fight it on defense. I've never really figured out how to fight Enfys. Any tips?

Don't save her for last. Right there with kru for crap.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    IPD, blow her up.

I've had a few decent runs on phase 7 of 3po.

Thought I had it once, and then wiffed 3 fucking times in a row when chewy had a tiny sliver of health. Later EE got focus fired and that was it.

It'd be cool to get some rng in my favor.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Managed to get P5 down for the unlock, but I'm not confident about getting the 6th tier. I suspect 7 is way outside my grasp until at least a couple of these little furballs are up to Gear 12. I mean, someone has probably done it with a paupers set and nigh perfect RNG, but I don't really have an entire day to throw at attempts hoping to get lucky. Like with Chewy, unlocking him to start and then gearing up for the next go around will have to suffice.

Though it will also certainly screw me out of Jedi Luke, but 'cascading/fractal bullshit to further reward the whales and keep them paying' is the business model we all know and love.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I think 3po will come around again just before the next Luke.

R2 did before CLS

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    My next opponent in the Grand Arena has a G12 Enfys Nest in his inventory. I'm assuming I'm going to have to fight it on defense. I've never really figured out how to fight Enfys. Any tips?

You want to take her out fairly early if possible. Because of the way her abilities work it's possible to get into a state where she just adds infinite protection resulting in a draw. She gets bonus protection every time she gets hit but that resets when her turn begins. So if you are dumping stuns on her, so she doesn't get a turn, the bonus protection just gets higher and higher making her effectively unkillable in that state. She also ignores taunts, has a counter, can strip defensive buffs (including taunt), and has a pretty good stun.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    488 shards to go for the OR dudes. I’m starting to lose confidence. Mission Impossible is breaking me.

Considering throwing a zeta on Chirpa to maybe get the 3PO unlock.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I think 3po will come around again just before the next Luke.

R2 did before CLS

My guess is that Chewie's return on Dec 27th is all we will get.

I don't think we will have another shot at C-3PO before Luke #3 arrives.

Here's my Luke #3 Hero Journey prediction:

One stage (at least) will be a Hoth themed stage, and it will require ROLO, Captain Han Solo, and other characters who appeared on Hoth. Maybe even require the generic Soldier and Scout, but that's a lot less likely.

One stage will be a Cloud City themed stage, and will require Lando and Lobot. This one would also be a good place for them to put a required Chewie and required C-3PO.

Anyway, that's just my own prediction, based on how the previous Hero Journeys have gone.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    488 shards to go for the OR dudes. I’m starting to lose confidence. Mission Impossible is breaking me.

Considering throwing a zeta on Chirpa to maybe get the 3PO unlock.

I just 7* all the OR (first released characters)

I made it from 400 shards needed to every one at 7* between the end of double drop weekend and last week.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Oh shit, i didn't even consider lobot. Gonna have to check his * level.

• Options
    Well, I'm gonna go ahead and declare myself the winner of my GA.

My final opponent only set front row defense. His back row was empty. So when I cleared both front row nodes, I picked up the free points from the back two nodes.

Why would you not set back defense, even if you set a scrub team with 30k power.
    A) You get less points by not setting defense
    B) That's free points you're leaving on the table for your opponent to pick up

The 4 defensive squads that my opponent did set were all really strong. I'm not gonna pretend I didn't struggle with them. One of them took me 3 battles to whittle it down. But even still, was he just banking on me not breaking through? Even if he was banking on that, why would you not set your back two nodes for the points?

• Options
    I did that the first time.

For some reason I didn't realize I could set defense on the back row.

Was really confused when my opponent hadn't gone, and had more points.

• Options
    Definitely understandable on the first round.

Not so understandable on the third round, in the final match between the top two people who have two wins a piece and the highest overall scores.

Oh well. I'm not complaining. It's 90 stun cuffs for me.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Well I've unlocked most of the Pheonix crew except the last lady now just gotta try and grind em up. Any tips for fleet battle stuff? I am getting kinda wrecked just trying to do the challenges and normal battles

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've been building some newer ships. I've gotten Ghost and Phantom II(?) to 3 stars each and they're around level 68 right now. Since the early levels of Squad Arena is Phoenix already, just unlocking those ships is a huge boon in the Fleet stuff as they add huge crew member bonuses for each member leveled and geared up. Plus the ships work great as a pair.

I've also got Kylo unmasked running the Tie Silencer, and TFP running the classic Tie Fighter. Rounding it out is the Jedi Counselor manning his ship as he was the earliest of my squad mates to get pretty geared up and leveled.

I'm not doing great, but I break 100 in Fleet Arena and have been able to clear my stages & hard stages so far. I just miss some of the challenges because I'm missing stars and ships.

I would like to change out the Rebel ships for Empire ones ASAP, but I need to unlock some of the better ones. The internet recommends the First Order Tie Fighter for it's easy farmability and multi-attack chance and turn order buffs, as well as the Tie Reaper. Apparently the Tie Reaper is like, the backbone ship in the meta and the difference between having one leveled and not having one leveled is significant. I'm sure once I get the Tie Advanced for Vader unlocked, I'll be running him too. Here's a slightly dated link if you wanted to read more.

I also read that full Geos squad under Thrawn or AA is an excellent team.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I should unlock ships tomorrow. Time for a whole new grind!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Come to think of it, all I'm doing in this game is grinding. Why is this so fun then? I enjoy making the teams and leveling them up and just leveling up my account to unlock new stuff, and get new gear, clear new stages, but I really doubt I'll ever crack Top 50 in Squads or Top 10 in Fleet.

Hmm, maybe because it's a time waster. Maybe I like watching small numbers go up. The psychology of why this game is fun is kind of interesting to me.

• Options
    Collecting things is fun. I think that's a pretty well proven concept. From Pokemon to gun and perk unlocks in CoD, to towers, walls, and barracks in Clash of Clans, to hero collectors, people enjoy the gameplay loop of collecting and building things up.

So that's one aspect.

Another aspect is that the combat is actually pretty fun in this game when you are doing appropriately tuned content for your level. A lot of the missions, especially the big events, are a lot of fun to play. And building those teams to complete a goal is a fun and rewarding gameplay loop.

• Options
    I think my biggest issue is I stopped playing for a long time so all the people I am grouped with in all the arenas have like 30-40k more power than me. And the galactic war is super hit or miss but that might just be normal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Galactic War can be completely mitigated by building teams with high sustain. Phoenix are generally very good at GW. You can also make a really strong Jedi team, even if you don't have General Kenobi. Replace General Kenobi with Old Ben.

You will want Bastila Lead, Ezra, Grand Master Yoda, General Kenobi or Old Ben. The 5th slot best works with Hermit Yoda but if you don't have Hermit Yoda unlocked, Barriss works well here too. That Jedi team can destroy all in its path. You ought to be able to auto 100% of the battles if you build a strong Jedi team with Bastila as lead.

Zetas are required to make it work to its maximum potential. Bastila's leader zeta is one of the very first zetas you should invest in. It's a total game changer.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    7 star 3PO gottened! I thought I was going to get stuck with the 6 star like with Chewy but RNG favored me (eventually) and it worked out. Weirdly elated about the whole thing.

Team was zChirpa, zWicket, Elder, Scout, and Teebo, all G11, and every mod with speed I could stuff into them. I think Elder ended up being around 240. It only took like 25-30 tries as well which was a lot fewer tries than I thought it would take.

• Options
    Galactic War can be completely mitigated by building teams with high sustain. Phoenix are generally very good at GW. You can also make a really strong Jedi team, even if you don't have General Kenobi. Replace General Kenobi with Old Ben.

You will want Bastila Lead, Ezra, Grand Master Yoda, General Kenobi or Old Ben. The 5th slot best works with Hermit Yoda but if you don't have Hermit Yoda unlocked, Barriss works well here too. That Jedi team can destroy all in its path. You ought to be able to auto 100% of the battles if you build a strong Jedi team with Bastila as lead.

Zetas are required to make it work to its maximum potential. Bastila's leader zeta is one of the very first zetas you should invest in. It's a total game changer.

So what is a zeta? Like a maxed out skill?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sonelan wrote: »

So what is a zeta? Like a maxed out skill?

Only certain skills can be zeta'd. Zeta Shards are one of the many collectibles in this game. They are required along with Omega shards and a bunch of purple ability materials to upgrade specific skills to the final rank.

And, most importantly, those final ranks that require zeta shards are always character-defining, strategy altering massive power boosts to the character.

Zeta shards are acquired a few different ways, depending on your personal progression and the progression of your guild. The #1 most common and most consistent income of Zeta shards is from the Ship Ability Materials challenge. This means you should be focused on building towards that as a primary goal, because getting the ship ability challenge on farm means getting a steady (slow) income of Zeta shards. Additionally, you can get zeta shards from Territory War payouts if your guild is in a high enough bracket, they come from a few special limited mythic difficulty events, a few achievements have them attached, and maybe a few other random odds and ends sources.

Oh, and they gave everybody 20 zeta shards as a gift for the 3 year anniversary so if you logged in during that period you might already have 20 zeta shards to spend. Unfortunately, zeta shards aren't enough on their own. You typically also need 13 Omegas (gold shards) and 30 purple shards.

Here's an example, using Bastila who I highly recommend as a pick for an early zeta option:

https://swgoh.gg/characters/bastila-shan/

ivdm4e6q3b34.png

As you can see from that image, Bastila's final upgrade on her leader ability is nuts.
    Add 1 Turn Taunt on Jedi Tank allies at start of encounter, add +150% Tenacity with Protection Up

So any Jedi Tank you put with Bastila begins combat with a 1 turn taunt. That right there is huge. But that's not even all this zeta does. It also gives 150% Tenacity to the entire team as long as they have Bastila's Protection Up buff. Protection Up is baked into the baseline leadership of Bastila, so all Jedi begin battle with that buff. But once you zeta the ability, all Jedi gain an additional 150% tenacity as long as the buff is active on them.

So yeah. Bastila's leader ability with the zeta upgrade is huge, and completely transformative to Jedi teams. It basically makes your Jedi immune to debuffs, except for ones that cannot be resisted such as Thrawn's Fracture ability, and it allows tanks to start the battle with a taunt, which means the first strike always has to go on the tank.

There are other really good zetas too. But Bastila's is a prime example of a "game changing" zeta. Not every zeta is quite as transformative as this, but they are usually good.

I would say ask before you commit to a zeta though, because unfortunately there are a few duds out there.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @Sonelan Add me as a friend. My arena team uses Bastila, which means that she should show up for you at least once per day. If you use her as an ally on any content, you will get the full benefit of her leadership ability as a borrowed character. If you didn't know, friend characters apply their leader abilities, so for any game content that allows you to bring a friend, you get two leaders -- your own and your friend's.
    Ally Code: 173-788-946

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    @Sonelan Add me as a friend. My arena team uses Bastila, which means that she should show up for you at least once per day. If you use her as an ally on any content, you will get the full benefit of her leadership ability as a borrowed character. If you didn't know, friend characters apply their leader abilities, so for any game content that allows you to bring a friend, you get two leaders -- your own and your friend's.
    Ally Code: 173-788-946

Ok added you. I'll add her to the list of people to farm.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh. One other thing.
    (Sorry for the triple post)

Zetas are important enough that they track them right on the user interface. You can see if a character has a zeta obtained, and how many, by the little purple zeta icon that appears on their portrait on any screen.

ci8ac1x8h5mq.png

This is an image from my own inventory on swgoh.gg.

As you can see, I've got two zeta'd abilities on R2 and one on Boba Fett. So that's what you're looking for. That will help you size up an opponent at a glance too. As you play more and become more familiar with each character's zeta, it's strength, and how much of a threat it makes them, just looking at a character portrait will tell you a lot of what you need to know.

At this point, they have added zetas to a lot of characters. Even older ones were given some. Not all of them are great, and again I strongly recommend asking before spending the zeta shards because they are rare and take a while to accumulate. But, for example, Farmboy Luke was given a zeta a while back. So even though he's like a launch day character, he does have a zeta. But don't buy Farmboy Luke's zeta. It's bad.

On the flip side, there are a few surprises as well. Characters that you would think to yourself "surely this character has a zeta" but they do not. General Kenobi is a great example of this. He's a top tier, AAA tank and one of the best characters in the game. But he has no zeta. He's just super duper good all on his own.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Are there any ships I should focus on? Ship stuff is not going well for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I've been building some newer ships. I've gotten Ghost and Phantom II(?) to 3 stars each and they're around level 68 right now. Since the early levels of Squad Arena is Phoenix already, just unlocking those ships is a huge boon in the Fleet stuff as they add huge crew member bonuses for each member leveled and geared up. Plus the ships work great as a pair.

I've also got Kylo unmasked running the Tie Silencer, and TFP running the classic Tie Fighter. Rounding it out is the Jedi Counselor manning his ship as he was the earliest of my squad mates to get pretty geared up and leveled.

I'm not doing great, but I break 100 in Fleet Arena and have been able to clear my stages & hard stages so far. I just miss some of the challenges because I'm missing stars and ships.

I would like to change out the Rebel ships for Empire ones ASAP, but I need to unlock some of the better ones. The internet recommends the First Order Tie Fighter for it's easy farmability and multi-attack chance and turn order buffs, as well as the Tie Reaper. Apparently the Tie Reaper is like, the backbone ship in the meta and the difference between having one leveled and not having one leveled is significant. I'm sure once I get the Tie Advanced for Vader unlocked, I'll be running him too. Here's a slightly dated link if you wanted to read more.

I posted this earlier @Sonelan !

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Getting into ships is difficult.

There's a fairly easy combo you can complete, and the combo will carry you a long way.

It is simply to start with Biggs' ship and Vader's ship in your lineup. Vader's primary attack causes the Target Lock debuff. Biggs taunts and refills a bit of his protection when an enemy gains Target Lock. Therefore, you can basically have a permanently taunting Biggs if you also run Vader. It's a good starter combo.

Edit: Add more ships that can add target lock to further keep Bigg's shields refilled and keep him topped off. The Phantom II ship's middle ability causes Target Lock. I think Fives' ship also has a skill that causes Target Lock.

The Biggs/Vader combo is the easiest to start with but you can build it up from there. And like I say, it will carry you a long way. But I would also say that it will by no means last for ever, and at some point you're going to need to develop a team a little bit more durable on it's own. This is basically an "all your eggs in one basket" strategy, and as soon as you come across an enemy that can put buff immunity on Biggs you are in trouble. But generally for completing mission table missions and PVE content, it will serve you very well. It will also carry you quite a long way in Fleet Arena before you need to diversify and improve beyond that.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    I just had a crazy difficult final battle for my last fight in Galactic War. I'm running a level 76 Phoenix and ran into a level 79 Jedi Team with Old Ben, Jedi Yoda, and Bas. I basically had to keep re-trying until I finally sac'd Ezra and Hera to kill Yoda before passing taunt back and forth between Chopper and Kanan while Zeb did damage. Lots of technical moves and strategy. 'Okay remove debuffs from this guy, now taunt Chopper, oh shit chopper is in the red, cool Kanan has taunt now, shield everyone up, okay chopper back to full, shit Kanan almost dead, Chopper taunt' until Old Ben finally died. Then I just slowly picked apart the other three until I won. Very satisfying. After the first couple tries I thought that it was a dead run because I couldn't kill Ben fast enough before Yoda destroyed everyone. He was doing like 3 attacks per my one attack per 'round.'

• Options
    I know it’s not always possible, but since Old Ben buffs the others when he dies, I try to take him out as late as I can.

• Options
    I always try to take him out immediately because ability block against Phoenix is a death sentence.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I wonder how viable a team would be with a Old Ben, GK, Jolee, Hoda and GMY.

Basically make Old Ben super squishy, but super fast so he can get a taunt off, get murdered and buff everyone, then Jolee just keeps resurrecting him so he'll die again and give buffs. GK will take the other taunt and Hoda and GMY would share buffs and attack.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I wonder how viable a team would be with a Old Ben, GK, Jolee, Hoda and GMY.

Basically make Old Ben super squishy, but super fast so he can get a taunt off, get murdered and buff everyone, then Jolee just keeps resurrecting him so he'll die again and give buffs. GK will take the other taunt and Hoda and GMY would share buffs and attack.

Won’t work. Old Ben only buffs on first death.

• Options
    Secrets and Shadows Tier 2... uh, how do I survive Sid demo'ing my entire team with his AOE? I'm G8 6-7 star on Phoenix with Chopper instead of Sab, is that just not possible right now? Seems difficult.

• Options
    There needs to be a way to break out of an event battle at anytime.

Waiting for the computer to finish buffing / attacking when you know you're starting over starts to get maddening after 30 or 40 times.

• Options
    Secrets and Shadows Tier 2... uh, how do I survive Sid demo'ing my entire team with his AOE? I'm G8 6-7 star on Phoenix with Chopper instead of Sab, is that just not possible right now? Seems difficult.

Stun lock him is probably the only option if he's one-shotting you.

Use all of your assist calls on Zeb. His basic attack causes daze on the first hit and if the target is already dazed they will be stunned.

So use Hera and Ezra to both call Zeb to attack.

• Options
    I don't think Zeb stuns him? I tried doing that and I haven't seen him stunned once.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah @Sonelan A few thoughts on ships. I’m in a pretty old (been playing since Force Awakens came out), pretty competitive shard.

Ghost and Phantom: the name of the game is farming efficiency. As you know, Pheonix is needed in many areas of the game, and to unlock Thrawn’s ship you need rebel ships, of which their are a few but these 2 and their crew are basically a very solid investment that will help you in many areas, not only arena. That said, one of the absolute best bang for buck investments i suggest is boosting Phantom’s reinforcement ability to max and putting it in the first reinforcement slot. Especially if paired with a fast capital ship (Akbar is the fastest). Reinforcing Phantom allows you to bring in another reinforcement next turn, and the difference of having a full board of 5 ships out early is huge. So, this would be my number 1 recomendation for anyone having a hard time with ships.

TIE Reaper: not a bad ship, and the crew (Shore and DeathTrooper) are very very good (an Empire Trooper team is something you’ll want to invest in eventually, plus really fun to use). Shore is a very long farm though. KoopaTroopa’s link mentions Reaper is an essential ship, backbone of the meta...i would very much contest this idea. It was for a very long time (maybe still was when the linked article was written), and its still good, but not essential. If you like the look of it, go for it, but considering how hard the pilots are to farm (and gear actually) i’d not kill yourself to get it.

Geonosians: i was using geonosians for a while in arena, and until Bounty Hunter ships arrived they were pretty much top dog. They’re still strong, but vanishing a bit from high end arena. However, their pilots are awful. Just trash. I have a full gear 12 7star geonosian team and they have basically no use. I can sometimes use them to take out some half dead team in Territory Wars but even then they’re weak. So, going back to the idea of Efficiency of Farming, i’d avoid them. If you wanna gamble on a future Seperatist rework (thats why i got em) or you really love weird bug boiz than you’ll find their ships fun, but otherwise ignore for now.

TIE Advance: Vader as a character isn’t the powerhouse he Should be given the movies, but his ship is, and you basically get him and his ship for free eventually too. His ship is great. High damage, never misses (f you foresight), target lock, an enemy dispell. He works as either a front line guy or a reinforcement guy. As soon as you unlock his ship i recommend putting resources into it. Very good, will serve you well.

Cassian’s U Wing: Rogue One is another “you’ll need them eventually” team, and Cassian’s U wing is a very strong reinforcement choice. Reinforcement ability dispells every buff on the enemy team, and his ship in general has great utility. Recommended. Plus Rogue One was a great movie :p

Biggs: as others have mentioned, a very good tank

Wedge, Poe, TIE fighters both original and FO flavour are very good damage dealers, if thats something you feel you need.

If you’re high enough to start farming them, I suggest Bounty Hunters.
    As a team they’re strong, fun and useful, and their ships are too. Kinda end game content.

Hope this was helpful!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I don't think Zeb stuns him? I tried doing that and I haven't seen him stunned once.

You might need to try to re-mod Zeb for a bit more potency then. Otherwise you might just need to gear up a bit more and try again next time.

• Options
    200 Jedi team wins down only to see phase 2 of Jedi prestige is g12 Anakin and obi wan. Ugh

Zdy0pmg.jpg