As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I accepted an offer at a new company.
    About a 35% increase in pay. More flexible WFH policy. Able to use public transport a lot easier too.
    Same vacation and health though.

Writing the letter to resign is going to suck though.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Very nearly annotated this student's paper with "oh fuck off" next to this purpley bullshit sentence.

Christ on a pogo stick

... Can you post the sentence?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    My boss is leaving and we have no replacement lined up

I asked the CEO if I could take full responsibility for a huge proposal we need to get out the door right after christmas. (and he gave it to me)

wtf is wrong with me

Hero complex? Or martyr?

s4eamxv.jpg

edit: i actually feel agreeing to this is selling my team short; they are very good and i have full confidence in them

You're awesome. Shine on like crazy diamonds should.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Very nearly annotated this student's paper with "oh fuck off" next to this purpley bullshit sentence.

Christ on a pogo stick

"I, Pinfeldorf, do hereby pledge to practice absinthetinence by remaining absinthetinent from absinthe, since absinthe incidents in many instances induce incipient synesthetic inspiration and sinister synthetic insistence on sin, I sincerely insist I will be absent from instances of absinthe ingestion, this instant."

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Our IT security team is rolling out two factor authentication for remote logins.

All of the tools and documents needed to set up the two factor authentication are hosted on a server that is not accessible outside the domain.

:rotate:

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »

Christ on a pogo stick

"I, Pinfeldorf, do hereby pledge to practice absinthetinence by remaining absinthetinent from absinthe, since absinthe incidents in many instances induce incipient synesthetic inspiration and sinister synthetic insistence on sin, I sincerely insist I will be absent from instances of absinthe ingestion, this instant."

... I don’t like that kid.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Once again I find myself in a "do I or don't I" mood for following up on applications. I've got 3 in for this one institution so I figure it's clear that I'm keen on working for them (1 from October, 1 from November, and another from December). Higher Ed folks, think it's worth getting in touch before the new year?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I only work 9am-2pm on Christmas eve, which means I get five hour of double time and half, and three hours regular pay, plus I have rest of the day for stuff. All of our stores are closed on Christmas so we haven't decided yet if we're gonna do dinner here or drive up to her parents place.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Triaging in the ER on a busy day is like doing auditions for a big part you need a big name for and you got a bunch of young hopeful actors. That belly pain you've had for a week sounds serious, but we were really hoping for someone who was dying right now. Oh no, don't check back with us, we'll call you. Have a seat in the lobby.

The best are the people who know a guy. "My sister works here" Okay, but I still don't have any beds and you're not dying so, have a seat. I had this dude come in for neck pain from a car accident and his wife is there with him and she's like "can you make sure Brad or Dianne sees him?" I'm like who the fuck is that? I guess it's one of the trauma docs, who we only know by last name. So I ask her who she is and she looks all aghast because I don't know that she's the manager of the trauma admission floor. I don't even know half the people in my own department, what makes you think I'm going to know you? Then I bumped him from our trauma room to the hallway because his complaints weren't serious enough.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "But you're not dying, so..." is the ER nurse motto, I'm pretty sure.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Picking up a side gig for some weekends, to get some extra cash to pay off my leg.

Friend works as a coder for an app that is basically a photo booth slash automatic gif maker for parties, so some weekends I’ll be going out to events in LA and setting up the machine and directing people to it.

Today was meeting up for training on the basics, pretty straight forward. Took 30 minutes, as I was heading out they mentioned that the pay for training is $100.

Uh, y’all got anymore of that training?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I had a cold two or three weeks ago and I've been feeling a lot better except for this very persistent cough. Call center work sucks when I cough a bunch and today it seems to be getting worse.

I want to stop this coughing.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bit bummed out this week. Got my performance review, and while it wasn't BAD, it's a little worse than last year. Which I find odd, because I did some pretty good shit this year. I guess I need to work harder this year. I did really well on a project last month, so I'm off to a good start, I guess.

Edit: It figures that when my love life finally gets a much needed upturn, my career starts to struggle. I guess not everything can be perfect.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Bad supervisor is trying to leave to another department. He's tired of the job, too much stress, etc. I've been doing it for over three years now. Given how many people I've seen this job break, either I'm totally broken inside or people take the job way too seriously.

It's probably a little bit of both.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Bad supervisor is trying to leave to another department. He's tired of the job, too much stress, etc. I've been doing it for over three years now. Given how many people I've seen this job break, either I'm totally broken inside or people take the job way too seriously.

It's probably a little bit of both.

I've been reading your stories for a long time, and it sounds like your fellow supervisors are just bad at their jobs. Which, admittedly, seems like it would be kind of a bummer. Like, on a day to day basis.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It can be a bit of a bummer. The first five hours of my shift, where it's just me, will run smoothly, or if something crazy does happen, I don't freak out about it, just keep everything calm, we roll with situation. Then the other super comes on shift, I go to lunch, come back, "Why is everything completely off schedule now?"

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Ugh wife's work booked her a taxi to take her to the train station.

Taxi driver kept commenting on how she has a pretty name.

Then started going on about how he needed to adjust her seat and ended up putting his hand on her knee.

So I'm gonna take the afternoon off tomorrow so I can pick her up and we'll report the driver to the taxi company and let her work know as this is one of their preferred taxi companies.

Be nice if she could just do her job without worrying about creepy guys.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Boss: Royce, you okay? You sound stressed after got your weekend troubles.

Royce: i'm fine

*walks into glass panel so hard, jacket sleeve clasp leaves an impression on his skin, trips over stairs multiple times at same site

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Ugh wife's work booked her a taxi to take her to the train station.

Taxi driver kept commenting on how she has a pretty name.

Then started going on about how he needed to adjust her seat and ended up putting his hand on her knee.

So I'm gonna take the afternoon off tomorrow so I can pick her up and we'll report the driver to the taxi company and let her work know as this is one of their preferred taxi companies.

Be nice if she could just do her job without worrying about creepy guys.

Does the taxi company have social media accounts? Because that sounds like something I would personally start broadcasting everywhere public so other people know.

• Options
    Is it okay to put the whole company onnblast for what one guy did before they've had a chance to rectify the situation internally? This isn't like Delta having a doctor thrown off a plane screaming and bloodieid.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Public criticism might encourage them to deal with it before he creeps on someone else. I'm sure the company will survive.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In a situation like this where one person calls in they might just tell the person they got rid of the driver and never actually do it.

Hitting them on the bottom line might address it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Whoo I got 94% in both of my courses this semester. My straight A's continue. One course I had to bring the grade up from a C after the debacle with all the group projects at the beginning of the semester. The other one I wasn't sure of because he waited until the end of the semester to grade anything. I got 85/100 on two of the coding exams but I have no idea why because their was no feedback. And I missed 1 point on the question/answer part of the final and 3 on the last exam for some reason (all questions are 5 points).

Whatever, I'll take my A.

• Options
    Pretty sure i witnessed an accident aftermath.

Always approach blind turns from smallest angle of attack.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Had to get up at 4 am to make a flight for training and being paranoid about being late made it impossible to sleep.

Now I'm dying while the trainee is going over things like save as. I am now praying for us to get into complex geometry problems so I don't fall asleep.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Picking up the company mail at the post office today when another person who regularly comes at the same time as me banged loudly on the door instead of ringing the doorbell, which I thought was a dick-head move, and said so, but in a reasonable enough way. He turns around and calls me a "safe space liberal" who should mind my own shit and "go back to college". I guess I should be flattered this guy really gets me?

But now I'm gonna see this guy everyday? I fucking hate trump's america.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    In a situation like this where one person calls in they might just tell the person they got rid of the driver and never actually do it.

Feels like a pessimistic viewpoint, but I suppose pessimism and realism are pretty much the same thing anymore.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I flew out to the office in Phoenix last week to get a bunch of stuff done and attend the holiday christmas party. It was an escape room followed by a lovely dinner and then followed by a pretty decent amount of delicious cocktails.

In return I have no contracted the crud from the people in the office who refused to stay home sick.

Conclusion: People and offices suck.

I'm seriously considering take a sick day if I can't shake this which is a weird thing because I work from home.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The whole afternoon a woman has been setting up a speaker in different places of the neighboorhood and sing the same few songs on different street corners and the speaker is so loud that it doesn't really matter how far awy she is. And it's just the most dramatic songs presented with the most possible pathos and unwavering passion. I can't take anymore.

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Picking up the company mail at the post office today when another person who regularly comes at the same time as me banged loudly on the door instead of ringing the doorbell, which I thought was a dick-head move, and said so, but in a reasonable enough way. He turns around and calls me a "safe space liberal" who should mind my own shit and "go back to college". I guess I should be flattered this guy really gets me?

But now I'm gonna see this guy everyday? I fucking hate trump's america.

Something something, essay about that bell shoved up his asshole

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You know you are a teacher when you find an entire unopened box of Ticonderoga pencils and it makes it the best day ever.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Feels like a pessimistic viewpoint, but I suppose pessimism and realism are pretty much the same thing anymore.

One part of me likes to think that talking to the guy will get him to stop, think about what he's done, and maybe never do it again.

But the other part of me can't help but shake the feeling he's just going to ramp it up to 11 since it's a captive situation and then the person is going to get shamed for speaking out and called a liar or whatever other bullshit someone will throw at them.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fun pencil fact:

Ticonderoga pencils are the official pencil of the Ghostbusters because the prop makers build several into either side of the booster frame and you can clearly read the pencil labels under the black paint.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Fun pencil fact:

Ticonderoga pencils are the official pencil of the Ghostbusters because the prop makers build several into either side of the booster frame and you can clearly read the pencil labels under the black paint.

The booster frame?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The whole afternoon a woman has been setting up a speaker in different places of the neighboorhood and sing the same few songs on different street corners and the speaker is so loud that it doesn't really matter how far awy she is. And it's just the most dramatic songs presented with the most possible pathos and unwavering passion. I can't take anymore.

Somebody please take away my ears.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Tonight is Rachel's work's christmas party and of course both the kids are sick. I'm trying to get my mom to say if she wants me to come home to watch the kids tonight or what but of course I'm hearing nothing.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Tonight is Rachel's work's christmas party and of course both the kids are sick. I'm trying to get my mom to say if she wants me to come home to watch the kids tonight or what but of course I'm hearing nothing.

That's a company Christmas party you don't want to miss.

I'm betting they got a lot of pretty trees

• Options
    Fun pencil fact:

The booster frame?

It is a ladder looking piece on the back of the proton pack. All the parts have names that fans have given them.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is it okay to put the whole company onnblast for what one guy did before they've had a chance to rectify the situation internally? This isn't like Delta having a doctor thrown off a plane screaming and bloodieid.

yes won't someone have mercy on these poor, helpless corporations?

Meh. Especially if it's a larger company. Meh, fry 'em. Public pressure is basically the only recourse available if you actually want something dealt with properly and swiftly.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

One part of me likes to think that talking to the guy will get him to stop, think about what he's done, and maybe never do it again.

But the other part of me can't help but shake the feeling he's just going to ramp it up to 11 since it's a captive situation and then the person is going to get shamed for speaking out and called a liar or whatever other bullshit someone will throw at them.

I am a pessimistic person, it's true, but unless it was that guy's first shift I don't believe for a second that Sharpy's missus was the first woman he's done that to.

This discussion has been closed.