As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-man] Into the Spider-verse

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited December 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

Thread for the new Spidey movie!

Featuring:

Spider-Man_%28Miles_Morales%29.jpg

Miles Morales/Spider-man II (Shameik Moore):

A teenager who is the son of a police officer and nurse who's trying to find out what he can do. Gets spider powers and ends up meeting various Spiders to stop the bad guys. Wants to protect his Brooklyn.

Into-The-Spider-Verse-Peter-Parker.jpg

Alt! Peter Parker/Spider-man (Jake Johnson):

An older, divorced Parker from another dimension.

1528303561-screen-shot-2018-06-06-at-174447.png?resize=480:*

Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen Spider-Woman (Hailee Steinfeld):

Gwen Stacy from another dimension where she was bit by the spider, and a punk rocker.

spider-verse_spider-ham_primary.jpg?itok=iO8_8NQG

Peter Porker/Spider-Ham (John Mulaney):
Peter Porker was born a spider (simply named Peter). He resided in the basement lab of May Porker, a slightly goofy animal scientist who had created "the world's first atomic powered hairdryer", hoping that "the introduction of nuclear fusion into America's beauty salons" would "revolutionize the hair care industry".[1] After dousing her head with water and activating the dryer, May Porker accidentally irradiated herself, and in a fit of delusion, bit Peter, who then found himself transformed into an anthropomorphic swine much like May Porker herself. Running from the Porker homestead disoriented, Peter soon came to realize that he still retained a spider's abilities:

"This is astounding! Am I a spider with the limitations of a pig? Or a pig with the proportionate strength and agility of a spider? I've become something greater than either spider or pig... I've become a Spider-Ham!" - Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham #15 (May 1987)

After this startling series of events, Peter (who adopted the surname "Porker", that of his benefactor May Porker, who after the accident mentally attuned to a state in which she believed she was Peter's loving aunt) dedicated himself and his new-found abilities to fighting injustice and the occasional animal parody of established Marvel Comics villains. May Porker's scientific genius was transferred to Peter, giving him the know-how to devise his webspinner gauntlets to replace his lost natural ability. This story contradicted a detail in "Salad Daze" (Spider-Ham #6) where Peter Porker, in a vigil at May Porker's hospital bed, thinks back to his pre-Spider-Ham years when he was just a young pig being raised by his loving aunt.

8f97675bd9547ef8-600x338.jpg

Spider-man Noir (Nicolas Cage):
Spider-Man Noir or just Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is a fictional character, a superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. This alternate version of Spider-Man is a darker take on Spider-Man and the mythos is set in 1933 – during the Great Depression and is a part of the Marvel Noir universe. An inexperienced but idealistic apprentice of a respected yet troubled reporter, Peter Parker is accidentally bitten by an illegally imported and highly-venomous spider, while secretly investigating a smuggling ring of ancient spider statues. Instead of killing him, the bite gave him super-human abilities, similar to that of a spider. Taking advantage of his new abilities, Parker begins to wage a one-man war against the criminal underworld in New York City as a brutal and feared vigilante, known as the "Spider-Man", partly to avenge the deaths of his uncle Ben Parker and his mentor: Ben Urich, at the hands of the city's major crime lord: Norman Osborn.

Penny_Parker_on_Robot_Vinyl_Art_Toys_1fbab198-fd2d-477a-93fd-6cd1cc25280c_medium.jpeg

Peni Parker (Kimiko Glenn):
SP//dr is a version of Spider-Man from Earth-14512. Her real identity is Peni Parker, a Japanese-American middle school student who was adopted by Aunt May and Uncle Ben following the death of her parents. She pilots a psychically-powered mech suit known as the SP//dr, which is partially controlled by a radioactive spider that also shares a psychic link with the pilot.

Harry Dresden on

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I have spent all day listening to the soundtrack

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This movie was genius. The way they blended cgi and hand drawn animation to make it not a cartoon but a living comic was inspired.

The writing was top notch and the humor had me in stitches guffawing out loud.

E: Oh, and a lot of the wide shots were a love affair with New York. Really captured the feel of the city.

silence1186 on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    After reading that Spider-Ham origin story I wandered down the rabbit hole of the Marvel wiki and learned that Marvel has no less than FOUR alternate universes where heroes are animals, one of which was destroyed by zombie monkeys.

In one of them, Peter Parker is a spider monkey.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It was great.

Spider-Man Noir stole the movie in my opinion.

Visuals and soundtrack were absolutely spectacular.
    But turning a Green Goblin into a dumb mutated beast for a one scene is a waste of character comparable only to Bane in Batman and Robin.

Asthariel on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    It was great.

Spider-Man Noir stole the movie in my opinion.

Visuals and soundtrack were absolutely spectacular.
    But turning a Green Goblin into a dumb mutated beast for a one scene is a waste of character comparable only to Bane in Batman and Robin.
    IIRC in the Ultimate universe comics (i.e. Miles Morales's universe) Gobbie is, or at least becomes a dumb mutated beast

steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This movie has my favorite "suit up" moment in any movie and possibly medium.

Not only is it striking to watch and listen but the way it pulls all the theme and details from earlier is genius.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Just got out of theaters on this one, and did anyone else notice the complete acid trip that is the end credits?

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    This is the most "comic book movie" ever and I loved every second of it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you're on the fence about seeing it, go see it soon. With Mortal Engines out yesterday and Mary Poppins, Bumblebee and Aquaman all coming out next week, it's going to be pushed out pretty quickly. I already can't find an IMAX 3D screening that's not at 10pm and looking at next Friday my AMC app only shows it playing on one screen in three theaters altogether. :/

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Enjoyed it for the most part except:
    having a Spiderman step in when Peni and Gwen experienced some trouble during the end sequence stuck out to me and not in a good way

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Who'd have thunk 2018 would give us two excellent, wholely opposite versions of
    Doc Ock.

Holy shit I was not prepared for a crack at one upping the vidyagame version of him, but Liv was going for it. I love that design so much, it looked greeeeeeat. And she was doing that low key friendly menace so well. Ock was a highlight for me, for sure.

...also the rest of the movie was awesome.

Oh brilliant
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Who'd have thunk 2018 would give us two excellent, wholely opposite versions of
    Doc Ock.

Holy shit I was not prepared for a crack at one upping the vidyagame version of him, but Liv was going for it. I love that design so much, it looked greeeeeeat. And she was doing that low key friendly menace so well. Ock was a highlight for me, for sure.

...also the rest of the movie was awesome.

Maybe one day we'll get
    Carolyn Trainer. I'm surprised they didn't just call her that name, she was right there.

DgbGlKyXUAAr4Rz.jpg

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is propably my favourite version of
    Ock
    ever in terms of visuals.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Loved the film but I had to step out of the theater for a moment so I missed Gwen's comic sequence. Any details I should know about?

On a related note, one question that I probably just missed the explanation for.
    Is it explained how Gwen (and for that matter the spider that bites Miles) got transported before the Collider was used?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Loved the film but I had to step out of the theater for a moment so I missed Gwen's comic sequence. Any details I should know about?

On a related note, one question that I probably just missed the explanation for.
    Is it explained how Gwen (and for that matter the spider that bites Miles) got transported before the Collider was used?
    The collider sent her back in time 2 weeks because ~*space-time*~

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    My favourite moment:
    When Miles is saying “you don’t know what it’s like!” And the other Spider-people are very sympathetically but firmly saying “Miles, we know exactly what it’s like.”

My least favourite moment:
    When the guys came to Peni’s rescue.

The moment that confused me the most:
    MJ’s appearance at Fisk’s party. Did she seriously not know what he was about? It felt like someone had a plot point involving her, then dropped it, and then kept her in the party scene after all. Was she originally going to let the Spiders in? Was she not quite what she appeared to be, and in cahoots with Fisk? As it played out, MJ was there to give Peter someone to bounce off of, and served no real purpose in of herself. I realize that the movie is already pretty stuffed, but it felt like a weird miss.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed the art styles. There were a few times that it became a bit much. The last battle was one of those times. Also, my theatre had technical difficulties, and we spent some time jumping between the 2D and 3D cuts, which wouldn’t be so bad if we had 3D glasses.

The Stan Lee cameo was a top five, maybe top three.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Was hype warranted? Let's find out?

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I for one and REALLY REALLY glad they smoothed out the framerate in the final movie. After seeing the final film, going back and watching the preview footage is just jarring. That was actually one of my biggest reservations about the movie. I kept hearing rumors that the framerate was a stylistic choice. I'm glad it didn't stick. The movie was gorgeous and fluid on the big screen.

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    So worth the hype. Mixed art styles, great emotional beats.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well.... yeah.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It was aight.

Kind of felt overhyped.

There’s no element that was missing, it just didn’t really excel at anything.

Def felt the emotional stuff hard.

Mahershala Ali getting around in Marvel.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    having a Spiderman step in when Peni and Gwen experienced some trouble during the end sequence stuck out to me and not in a good way
    They had lots of spider people stepping in for lots of other spider people, including Gwen's intro in the forest where she stepped in to save spider dudes. The whole group worked as a team, that was kinda the point.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They're not even particularly subtle about making Gwen the most competent spider-person

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited December 2018
    Just got out of the theater. Definitely my favorite Spiderman film to date, possibly my favorite superhero film period, probably my favorite movie of the year. It captured the giddy joy of being Spiderman and the fuck-yeah excitement of seeing a comic book translated to the big screen better than any superhero movie since at least the first Avengers.

It was just astoundingly good, top to bottom. And the visuals were jaw dropping. I cannot recommend enough that people see this in theaters.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    They had lots of spider people stepping in for lots of other spider people, including Gwen's intro in the forest where she stepped in to save spider dudes. The whole group worked as a team, that was kinda the point.
    also, Peni still got hits in after her mech was done

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They used the "gimmick" characters just enough. Let Spider-ham get his jokes in but don't wear out his welcome etc

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    They used the "gimmick" characters just enough. Let Spider-ham get his jokes in but don't wear out his welcome etc

They also did stuff that looked cool.

edited December 2018
    The one thing I didn't like was the design of Kingpin. I get what they were trying to do, but they made his body so ridiculously oversized that he stopped being physically imposing and just looked comical. It was the sort of character design you'd expect to see as a parody on South Park, and it was distracting every time he was on screen.

Writing- and action-wise, he was great. He just looked bad.

ElJeffe on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    35 million dollar weekend for Spidey, top selling movie for the week

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like was the design of Kingpin. I get what they were trying to do, but they made his body so ridiculously oversized that he stopped being physically imposing and just looked comical. It was the sort of character design you'd expect to see as a parody on South Park, and it was distracting every time he was on screen.

Writing- and action-wise, he was great. He just looked bad.

The design comes from a Frank Miller run on Daredevil.

jcua9ofp8w22.jpg

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    This movie was so good. The style just blew me away.

Stan Lee cameo was emotionally rough.
    "I'm gonna miss him. You know he was my friend?"

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    This movie was so good. The style just blew me away.

Stan Lee cameo was emotionally rough.
    "I'm gonna miss him. You know he was my friend?"
    "It always fits. Eventually."

What a line.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would love to see a sequel where we see 616 merge with Ultimate like the comics.

Just to be clear, this wasn't Ultimate.

I think that Frank Miller design looks kinda like ass as well.

Fencingsax wrote: »

How so

Kadoken wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

How so

It just wasn’t. Ultimate universe is a clearly defined place where a lot of things happened, and this universe was different.

But they did borrow from the ultimate storyline a lot more than I expected them to.

edited December 2018
    So that wasn’t 616 spooderman either?

I had to come back another day to watch spiderverse because the theatre had a black out. The theatre was very nice and gave me a free ticket the next day. Then the projector froze. I missed a great opportunity after going out to tell a manager and coming back in to sit for a couple minutes. I really wanted to exclaim “MISS BRANDT, TELL PARKER TO FIX THAT PROJECTOR! I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF SPIDERMAN” in the theatre (not to the manager).

Kadoken on
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So that wasn’t 616 spooderman either?

Correct.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It was though.

In the collider scene there's when they mention they made contact with 5 universes there's a moment where they show designations and it shows they're on 1610 and one of the universes is 616.