As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Racecar chairs are amazing and the only problem is that they are so ugly.

Also they’re hella cheap compared to other office chairs.

My razor mouse is one of the longest lasting mice I have ever had.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Imagine the money that could be made by making decent gamer stuff without the awful gamer aesthetics.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Imagine the money that could be made by making decent gamer stuff without the awful gamer aesthetics.

Based on my experience trying to build a gaming pc without any LEDs, there's not much of a market there.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Based on my experience trying to build a gaming pc without any LEDs, there's not much of a market there.

I tried to part one out for a high-end work PC that didn't cost $5000 from a major vendor.

The non-LED version was something like $300-400 more than the LED one. So now I have an RGB PC at work for absolutely 0 reason.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I tried to part one out for a high-end work PC that didn't cost $5000 from a major vendor.

The non-LED version was something like $300-400 more than the LED one. So now I have an RGB PC at work for absolutely 0 reason.

$5 wire cutters will mostly solve this problem.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You should be able to turn off the LEDs in your BIOS settings, if nothing else.

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    At least LEDs look pretty which is more then I can say about bitcoin

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    The last time I tried to type “bitcoin” into my phone it autocorrected to “nothing.” I thought that was appropriate.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    THAC0 wrote: »

In fairness my boss did think it was neat because that was the first time he was exposed to RGB.

He asked what my thoughts were on doing something for everyone and making them our company's colors.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I do wonder why I can't find a laptop with a decent graphics card without it being colored like a Sith Lord.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    THAC0 wrote: »

In fairness my boss did think it was neat because that was the first time he was exposed to RGB.

He asked what my thoughts were on doing something for everyone and making them our company's colors.

I want there to have been a meeting where someone proposed mining after hours as an additional revenue stream.

"The systems are sitting there unused anyway"

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I do wonder why I can't find a laptop with a decent graphics card without it being colored like a Sith Lord.

Da red wunz go fasta.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=516-34-1833-T1

My baby. Got her for 1k earlier this year when the new NVIDIA cards were announced or for sale or something.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of this joke picture I saw a long time ago.

Your first PC case: A blinged out case with all the LED's.

Your second PC case: A straight up black box.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm reminded of this joke picture I saw a long time ago.

Your first PC case: A blinged out case with all the LED's.

Your second PC case: A straight up black box.

This must be why I'm at the black box stage.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That's me, but my third case is back 'round to tempered glass and RGB shit because apparently my immaturity works in cycles

I'll always like Razer for making a lefty Deathadder, but this crypto thing is dumb as balls

• Options
    Hm. So, for my university course, since we're talking about algorithms and GPUs and shit, my group has been given the topic of bitcoin and crypto mining, to make a presentation for. And since I intend to be as impartial as possible, and my cursory impression is that this whole thing is a massive clusterfuck, I expect that my presentation is going to end up involving at least a solid five minutes of continuous dunking on the blockchain, miners, and the like. What are good places to start looking for how this works and some stats on things like power wasted by bitcoin mining and such?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Hm. So, for my university course, since we're talking about algorithms and GPUs and shit, my group has been given the topic of bitcoin and crypto mining, to make a presentation for. And since I intend to be as impartial as possible, and my cursory impression is that this whole thing is a massive clusterfuck, I expect that my presentation is going to end up involving at least a solid five minutes of continuous dunking on the blockchain, miners, and the like. What are good places to start looking for how this works and some stats on things like power wasted by bitcoin mining and such?

From earlier in the thread, I liked these two sources:

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/table-of-contents/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHab0dNnj4

• Options
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Probably the most important question: How does your prof feel about bitcoin?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This is probably just me but the professor being really into bitcoin would just give me more impetus to completely shit on bitcoin for a presentation.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This is probably just me but the professor being really into bitcoin would just give me more impetus to completely shit on bitcoin for a presentation.

Enjoy retaking the class next semester!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    He's actually probably just trying to make up his mind about whether to invest in it or not. Why do your own research when you can make a class do it?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    He's actually probably just trying to make up his mind about whether to invest in it or not. Why do your own research when you can make a class do it?

Because it is your job to read undergrad papers?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

How to get away with bitcoin

• Options
    Thanks for the links!

Probably the most important question: How does your prof feel about bitcoin?

Honestly, I don't know for sure, but he seems pretty neutral on the whole thing. But he's a reasonable enough dude that I do think that he wouldn't fail me for disagreeing with him.

Besides, it's one topic of many. Topic options were stuff like branch predictors, different CPU architectures, graphene and its uses in computer design, and so on.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Branch predictors: how ten plus years of cpus have fundamental security flaws built in

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Branch predictors: how ten plus years of cpus have fundamental security flaws built in

ehh sorta. it's more that no one bothered to notice that those branches were executable memory space that needs to be protected/managed like executable memory space in main memory.

like all this speculative execution stuff is old exploits, that don't tend to work easily these days, but applied to a new part if the computer.

but... yeah.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I picked up Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain yesterday and am already halfway done reading it. It's quite interesting and is a pretty good crash course in cryptocurrency. I recommend it for anyone who's interested in the subject and wants an entertaining history of all this bollocks.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

ehh sorta. it's more that no one bothered to notice that those branches were executable memory space that needs to be protected/managed like executable memory space in main memory.

like all this speculative execution stuff is old exploits, that don't tend to work easily these days, but applied to a new part if the computer.

but... yeah.

A lot of these exploits weren't all that relevant until the cloud became a thing too. Nobody's using a branch prediction attack on your PC, when they've already had to compromise your OS's ring-0 security to do so in the first place.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    A coworker of mine has an amusing blog-post he wrote about when he was at MS debugging a crash failure in... either original xbox or 360. There was a bug deep down in their software, I think due to a specific version of malloc doing something unsupported by the cache? Anyway, they couldn't get off that version so they rewrote their code to never, ever call the offending command.

Only the branch predictor would venture into code that would never get executed checking to see if it might get executed and *boof* crash goes the system.

I'm glad I didn't have to debug that.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    A coworker of mine has an amusing blog-post he wrote about when he was at MS debugging a crash failure in... either original xbox or 360. There was a bug deep down in their software, I think due to a specific version of malloc doing something unsupported by the cache? Anyway, they couldn't get off that version so they rewrote their code to never, ever call the offending command.

Only the branch predictor would venture into code that would never get executed checking to see if it might get executed and *boof* crash goes the system.

I'm glad I didn't have to debug that.

This reminds me of one of the Trenches tales, where basically a few weeks from launch of a game, (OXbox or 360, not sure) a tester discovered a bug that would brick the system. It was obscure. In the end I think they pushed the release as-was.

I wonder if the two could be related somehow?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Nah, the branch predictors are fine. It's the caches that make everything unsafe. Disable those and you're fine

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Nah, the branch predictors are fine. It's the caches that make everything unsafe. Disable those and you're fine

I thought it was a combination of predictors running ahead and calculating results before resolving security instructions, and placing the results in insecure caches because the sec check hadn't resolved yet and then another process divines the data before the cache was flushed.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    HMRC's decision on the taxation of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies was published this week. Linky-poo

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER: I am not, nor have I ever been, a tax consultant or tax adviser, nor do I or have I played one on TV.

The short of it for traders is that if you buy and sell bitcoin, it's not gambling, but investment activity. As a result, the profits are liable to Capital Gains Tax. This also means that if you sell a cryptocurrency at a loss, you can offset that loss against other capital gains for the year. The electricity cost of mining is also not allowable as a cost of acquiring the assets for Capital Gains Tax purposes (but may be if the mining itself constitutes a trade).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Phyphor wrote: »

I thought it was a combination of predictors running ahead and calculating results before resolving security instructions, and placing the results in insecure caches because the sec check hadn't resolved yet and then another process divines the data before the cache was flushed.

One variant yes, the overarching thing for those vulns is speculative execution can cause attacker-controlled memory access (in several variants) but the way every vulnerability in the last little while is observed is through the cache. Every one of them involves doing something that causes a cache line load to be taken and then you observe that by constantly testing access times. No cache, no information

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Yeah, not sure how you do that though without sacrificing significant amounts of speed.
    You want the information cached just in case it was actually necessary/allowable in the first place, otherwise there was no real point to the speculative execution.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Ok so this is sort of crypto currency related, but exactly so.

A company that I'm invested in outlined in their end of year video that they're looking to do some sort of equity token - current shares are going to be linked on a 1 to 1 basis to a token, which can then apparently be bought and sold like any other share.

My questions are:
    1) While this seems legal, from the brief amount of reading that I've done on it, it's not common. Therefore - are there any actual places that things like this can be bought and sold?
    2) Is there any real advantage to doing this, as opposed to a traditional IPO? I'm not sure.

Wisdom of the forums, lay it on me!

• Options
    Ok so this is sort of crypto currency related, but exactly so.

A company that I'm invested in outlined in their end of year video that they're looking to do some sort of equity token - current shares are going to be linked on a 1 to 1 basis to a token, which can then apparently be bought and sold like any other share.

My questions are:
    1) While this seems legal, from the brief amount of reading that I've done on it, it's not common. Therefore - are there any actual places that things like this can be bought and sold?
    2) Is there any real advantage to doing this, as opposed to a traditional IPO? I'm not sure.

Wisdom of the forums, lay it on me!

Personally I would view that as evidence the company's a scam, but YMMV, the devil is in the details, etc.

This is also why I'm all about index mutual funds instead of individual stocks...

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sounds to me like they're trying to avoid dealing with shares by using tokens as not-shares. Maybe it lets them skirt tax laws or something?

But it seems real sketchy to me. If you own a share, you own a share. The company for that share can't up and decide to do anything funny with that share, and it sounds to me like this "token" idea great for abuse because stocks have all sorts of protections and "tokens" wouldn't. And I would think you would have to redeem the token with the company to get the shares if you ever want to actually sell the shares, because I've never heard of "token" exchanges.

It seems really weird to me. If a token is worth a share, why not just issue/sell shares? This just sounds like a scam with extra steps.

This discussion has been closed.