As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Current gen, sure. But the straight line of backwards compatibility from the GBA SP backwards was pretty damned impressive.

Yeah, XBO is best buy default if we're only talking current gen. They've always just done select compatibility though, never full compatibility like Nintendo and Sony have done in the past. They've also never had BC with accessories (even though the XBO pad added literally nothing over the 360 pad).

I like the Dpad and overall feel more, honestly.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Current gen, sure. But the straight line of backwards compatibility from the GBA SP backwards was pretty damned impressive.

Yeah, XBO is best buy default if we're only talking current gen. They've always just done select compatibility though, never full compatibility like Nintendo and Sony have done in the past. They've also never had BC with accessories (even though the XBO pad added literally nothing over the 360 pad).

Impulse triggers?

Well, I like them!

Also an actual usable D-pad, USB charging and data for wired use (eliminating the need for a wired SKU), and eventually Bluetooth and a universal headset socket. But it's definitely a refinement of the 360 pad (and, I'd argue, a bloody good one that builds on an already excellent foundation) rather than focusing on a big addition like Sixaxis or the touchpad, I get your point.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, the little tweaks they made make it a slightly better controller, but there was no added functionality. There was really no reason not to support 360 pads on XBO other than "we want you to spend money on more controllers."

You could argue that the touch pad and lightbar were useless additions, but they're still additions.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yeah, especially considering how everything Reggie's been saying points to no more nintendo classic devices.

I want Microsoft to jump in with an Xbox classic. 20 games from the original Xbox.

But it's the same size as the original.

Bring back the smaller controller with that: the live bear.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I got thinking.

Amped
    Blinx
    Blood Wake
    Breakdown
    Conker Live & Reloaded
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Dead or Alive 3
    Deathrow
    Forza Motorsport
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Gunvalkyrie
    Halo
    Halo 2
    Jet Set Radio Future
    MechAssault 2
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Phantom Crash
    Project Gotham Racing 2
    Quantum Redshift
    RalliSport Challenge 2
    Unreal Championship 2
    Voodoo Vince

There's a pretty solid 22 for an Xbox Classic. Some are BC, of course, but several aren't. And those are all exclusives too. Alright, Voodoo Vince came out low-key on Steam a while back, I guess, and Forza, PGR2 and RSC2 are licensing nightmares, but you get the idea - in terms of line-up, it actually could be done, and I didn't even include Kabuki Warriors or Azurik! :wink:

Jazz on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I would pay like $100 for a Steel Battalion controller that just plugs a HDMI into the TV.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I would pay like $100 for a Steel Battalion controller that just plugs a HDMI into the TV.

If it includes Line of Contact, definitely.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Oh, the majesty that was Crimson Skies. I cant believe I forgot that game existed.

• Options
    Oh, the majesty that was Crimson Skies. I cant believe I forgot that game existed.

It's so great. At least it's both BC and digitally available, so it's not a hard game to get. One of the highlights of that list, for sure.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    How about Otogi? I remember being impressed with that one when I played it at a store kiosk, but i have no idea how well it has aged.

• Options
    Good call. It had a sequel too.

How well they've aged is definitely a concern, and some will probably be a lot better than others in that regard. It's fair to say that's been a valid criticism of several games on both the NES and PS Classics (far less so the SNES, of course). It's also probably a discussion that's been had at Nintendo about an N64 Classic; I believe Reggie when he says one was never actually planned, but I'd be surprised if it was never so much as mooted behind closed doors, not that we are likely to ever know if it was.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yeah, especially considering how everything Reggie's been saying points to no more nintendo classic devices.

I want Microsoft to jump in with an Xbox classic. 20 games from the original Xbox.

But it's the same size as the original.

Wouldn't this just be a desktop PC?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Impulse triggers?

Well, I like them!

Also an actual usable D-pad, USB charging and data for wired use (eliminating the need for a wired SKU), and eventually Bluetooth and a universal headset socket. But it's definitely a refinement of the 360 pad (and, I'd argue, a bloody good one that builds on an already excellent foundation) rather than focusing on a big addition like Sixaxis or the touchpad, I get your point.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the later ones can work on my PC as well. That was a great addition.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Buy an Intel NUC, there's your Xbox Classic :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    hahaha, jesus, these things are already half off

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Odd, I'm seeing the price but not the gift card.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Odd, I'm seeing the price but not the gift card.

It's in tiny text below the image gallery.

• Options
    Ahhh, I have to view it as a webpage and not in the app.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018

edit: people replying back with "Randy Snitchford"
    heh

SteevL on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What a jerk

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

...well, except for bluetooth support and firmware updates.

There's also much more in the way of rumble/force feedback.

Also, the current controller works as an RF accessory "bridge" for certain peripherals (like the LS35X) in a way the Xbox 360 gamepads never did.

Support for generic mobile headsets via the 3.5 mm jack (like BT, added later, the Xbox 360 controller needed an adapter).

Actually, there were a number of things added.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Also, the current controller works as an RF accessory "bridge" for certain peripherals (like the LS35X) in a way the Xbox 360 gamepads never did.

Support for generic mobile headsets via the 3.5 mm jack (like BT, added later, the Xbox 360 controller needed an adapter).

Yes, but none of those features are required to play games. All of those are good reasons to choose the XBO pad over the 360 pad. None of those are reasons the 360 pad shouldn't be supported at all.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Yes, but none of those features are required to play games. All of those are good reasons to choose the XBO pad over the 360 pad. None of those are reasons the 360 pad shouldn't be supported at all.

Maybe, but that's clearly different than "The Xbox One controllers don't do anything Xbox 360 controllers didn't do." it may be, "The Xbox One controllers don't do anything I care about that the Xbox 360 controllers didn't do." Though I'm pretty sure generic headset support is the most common way to use voicechat on Xbox One right now.

EDIT: Also, technically, the Xbox One's first gen controllers have infrared emitters (if you ever take a flash photo of an Xbox controller, you can see them). As you might expect, they actually function with Kinect--this is the reason why, if you set up multiple people via a Kinect, passing the controller between them will also switch between user profiles without further intervention. I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with the new "closed shell" controllers. It definitely never worked on Xbox 360.

This isn't used it games (well, technically, it could be), but used in the actual console OS. For Microsoft, non-Kinect support actually would be justification for the new controllers, though that obviously wouldn't necessarily be a sentiment shared by the consumer (on the other hand, I still think the big glowing light on the front of every DS4 controller is a dumb distraction that can reflect on your TV if you're sitting close to it).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm just still upset I can't plug in my fightsticks from the 360 to the one. Ok, you changed wireless protocols, I can believe and understand that. But me, plugging this in that worked on 360, via a usb, for a wired controller, doesn't work? That's only because you won't let it work.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I guess this would be the right thread to ask. Recently with those 1up Arcade cabinets being the new hotness I've been debating using some stashed gift cards to grab one and Raspberry Pi the hell out of it. Then another thought occurred to me, what if I just got one of those plug in play arcade controller decks and called it a day? That way it could be portable and I could take it with me to friends houses and such. I'd also be able to plug it into my big-ass OLED TV and not be anchored to a cabinet with a far far far smaller/lower quality display.

Amazon has things like this for sale, but it comes off very Chinese bootleg-y. So are there any decent recommendations for this specific type of plug-n-play setup? Or is the thing that I just linked an actually half-decent first step for the 230 bucks that it goes for?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Maybe, but that's clearly different than "The Xbox One controllers don't do anything Xbox 360 controllers didn't do." it may be, "The Xbox One controllers don't do anything I care about that the Xbox 360 controllers didn't do." Though I'm pretty sure generic headset support is the most common way to use voicechat on Xbox One right now.

I tend to look at everything from a gameplay perspective first. So yeah, I was strictly comparing their game functionality. Obviously the XBO pad has many QOL changes, but simply supporting 360 pads wouldn't break any game functionality. All the inputs are there.

• Options

I tend to look at everything from a gameplay perspective first. So yeah, I was strictly comparing their game functionality. Obviously the XBO pad has many QOL changes, but simply supporting 360 pads wouldn't break any game functionality. All the inputs are there.

Depends on how important you consider universal voicechat support, since that's been a staple of Xbox much earlier than the other consoles--the old Xbox had it before the launch of PS3 and Xbox 360.

Ironically, I talk about this despite having had both Microsoft proprietary headsets bundled with my launch Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I don't own a generic mobile headset that's not still in the plastic bag that came with the phone itself.

• Options
    Also, I took my big step: my Neo Geo X dock came in over the weekend, so after staring at it admiringly, I placed an order for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, some low-profile passive heat sinks, and a 32 GB Micro SD as an add-on item.

God knows when that $9 of cables will come from AliExpress, but I'll have everything I need to actually set up RetroPie just sitting on my desk. After years of ignoring it, jumping into Raspberry Pi headfirst.

• Options
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. I've never dabbled with a Pi either, but have started thinking about it, so I'm curious about the point of view from a novice too. Best of luck!

• Options

Depends on how important you consider universal voicechat support, since that's been a staple of Xbox much earlier than the other consoles--the old Xbox had it before the launch of PS3 and Xbox 360.

Ironically, I talk about this despite having had both Microsoft proprietary headsets bundled with my launch Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I don't own a generic mobile headset that's not still in the plastic bag that came with the phone itself.

Still don't see what that has to do with having enough inputs for all the games.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I guess this would be the right thread to ask. Recently with those 1up Arcade cabinets being the new hotness I've been debating using some stashed gift cards to grab one and Raspberry Pi the hell out of it. Then another thought occurred to me, what if I just got one of those plug in play arcade controller decks and called it a day? That way it could be portable and I could take it with me to friends houses and such. I'd also be able to plug it into my big-ass OLED TV and not be anchored to a cabinet with a far far far smaller/lower quality display.

Amazon has things like this for sale, but it comes off very Chinese bootleg-y. So are there any decent recommendations for this specific type of plug-n-play setup? Or is the thing that I just linked an actually half-decent first step for the 230 bucks that it goes for?

You probably know, but in case you don’t, those 1Up cabinets are 3/4 the scale of traditional cabinets. It doesn’t sound like much, but the end result is substantially shorter, so expect to do a fair amount of kneeling or leaning. I’ve been tempted myself, but the height difference kills it for me. Something like 6 ft traditional vs 4 ft for the 1Up kits.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Still don't see what that has to do with having enough inputs for all the games.

Voice chat is absolutely relevant to online gameplay. But as an absolute minimum to get a game working, that's a different story.
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. I've never dabbled with a Pi either, but have started thinking about it, so I'm curious about the point of view from a novice too. Best of luck!

I hoped to get a friend of mine who actually has built a RetroPie cabinet (for his brother, on a much grander scale) to weigh in on it. Or at least the programming part.

But so far, the "hard" part seems to getting the actual game software (this goes into a dubious area, so I won't go further). The actual OS and booting things up is apparently pretty easy--though I'm still a little unclear on what to do if you want to install it to the device itself and not the MicroSD memory. Presumably boot it from the MicroSD as though this were Windows.

Synthesis on
  • Options

You probably know, but in case you don’t, those 1Up cabinets are 3/4 the scale of traditional cabinets. It doesn’t sound like much, but the end result is substantially shorter, so expect to do a fair amount of kneeling or leaning. I’ve been tempted myself, but the height difference kills it for me. Something like 6 ft traditional vs 4 ft for the 1Up kits.

Yeah those sticks do scream, "shady as heck". But guess for those who don't want to mod anything they are a good deal? Dunno, since I have been looking at real arcade buttons and sticks to make my own the prices are pretty high compared to what you linked @The_Spaniard . But at least they will be arcade quality and not break down after a few months of usage. Plus I figure it might be fun to make my own "joystick thing" to play games on the TV.

I have seen one of the 1UP Cabinets in the wild and they had it on the pedestal to make them taller. With that they are pretty normal height and not that bad of a unit. I personally think they are cool and wish I had the room to house one or two of them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I haven't had any issue with my Rampage cabinet. I put mine on the low shelf I used to use for board games and brings it up to perfect standing height.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options

Well, I can give you an update on Day 2: it kind of sucks. But free software frequently does suck, so it's to be expected.

• Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I love my Pi but I know we really can't discuss all the details here. Mine is my bedroom console and I picked up a pair of 360 controllers and a wireless receiver to use with it.

• Options
      I could just be a giant idiot, but I think the Raspberry Pi would be substantially improved with the inclusion of a small slip of paper that read:

"THIS PRODUCT WILL NOT BOOT WITHOUT BOOT SOFTWARE ON THE EXTERNAL STORAGE. IT IS NOT LIKE A PC MOTHERBOARD."

As it happens, that was actually one of the "smaller" problems.

Handles Xbox One controllers great though.

• Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I could just be a giant idiot, but I think the Raspberry Pi would be substantially improved with the inclusion of a small slip of paper that read:

"THIS PRODUCT WILL NOT BOOT WITHOUT BOOT SOFTWARE ON THE EXTERNAL STORAGE. IT IS NOT LIKE A PC MOTHERBOARD."

I struggled using a One controller. I couldn't get the Select or Xbox button to map if I was using it via Bluetooth. Given my bed to TV distance I really needed it to be wireless.

• Options

I struggled using a One controller. I couldn't get the Select or Xbox button to map if I was using it via Bluetooth. Given my bed to TV distance I really needed it to be wireless.

I haven't tried Bluetooth admittedly.