As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Miss Universe National Costumes: The Cosplay of Nations 2018 (NSF56K)

1235»

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    This year they went as a fruit stand
    b9rsxv5lznkh.png

Vietnam's outfit looks a little different than it did in the staged photos:

BrJNgBY.jpg

It's a bit cuter and more chic.

Also those are a kind of sandwich, not a veggie stand.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Zambia joins her sister Ghana to kick your ass.

2SWUaZp.jpg

Oh shit. "this [festival] is the only time women can dress this way, to show that they are pure!" THE OBSESSION WITH PURITY IS REALLY GETTING OUT OF HAND GUYZ.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Whew, that was a pretty long one. Japan was definitely the highlight. If Japan hadn't done Sailor Moon, though, I would have said Puerto Rico was the winner, on account of having horrible reaching and crushing hands. I have to wonder what happened last year. I wonder if Trump running for president/no longer financing Miss Universe had something to do with the shabbiness of it. Guess I'll never know. Thailand definitely went all out though, and for that I appreciate them.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Russia pays her respects to Lebanon and Mongolia, and is sure she's found a way to get that bitch She-Ra once and for all.

Km3wpuK.jpg

Russia doesn't know how her husband died, detective. I heard a crash and found him at the bottom of the stairs. So...tragic.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Puerto Rico is dressed as the hurricane that destroyed their country and killed thousands of people.
    Representing the winds of hurricane Maria

(Unless the news site I used was incorrect)

Here's another site's description:
    It symbolizes Puerto Rico rising up out of the ocean after the hurricane Maria disaster that crippled the island, and props to Kiara who was seen screwing this monstrous piece together backstage. The enormous helping hands symbolize those who helped Puerto Rico in their time of need.

Whew, that's more reasonable.

This explains why all the hands are all reasonably proportioned.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    A whole bunch of goddesses out there this year, yet none of them appeared to be holding the still-beating hearts of those sacrificed to them.

Kind of disappointed.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2018
    Ha ha, when I saw Myanmar I thought she was supposed to be a drum or a cymbal or something. Nope, she represents skin care.
    snip

So this is kinda interesting, because that kind of skin paste is a really old traditional cultural practise, and especially in the countryside people (of all genders) will go around all day with their faces covered in cream. There's some political undercurrents here, I suspect.
    Namibia represents the diamond industry. Ok then.

Also politically interesting - precious and semi-precious gemstones are one of Namibia's few major exports (the other being bits of dead animals, and some energy deals with China). But obviously this comes with an extensive environmental cost, and there's also some complex historical baggage relating to who owns the mines, etc.

I suspect most of the weirder costumes are signifying a lot more to a home audience than to the wider world.

tynic on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Ha ha, when I saw Myanmar I thought she was supposed to be a drum or a cymbal or something. Nope, she represents skin care.
    snip

So this is kinda interesting, because that kind of skin paste is a really old traditional cultural practise, and especially in the countryside people (of all genders) will go around all day with their faces covered in cream. There's some political undercurrents here, I suspect.

The stripes on the costume also seem to partly allude to the way the paste is worn

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I love these threads and your enthusiasm for them.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    HOLY FUCK WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THE ABSOLUTE MADNESS OF PUERTO RICO YET.

ssZG02U.jpg

IS SHE DRESSED AS A STEVEN UNIVERSE EPISODE?

Oh shit, did Puerto Rico get the Glowing Orb from that Saudi summit Trump went to? That means she controls the Cabal now right?

Platy wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    snip

The stripes on the costume also seem to partly allude to the way the paste is worn

No, the actual costume is inspired by a tree, that's why it looks like that. Only the round back and the bowl the contestant is holding are the skin care paste that comes from the bark of that tree.

I love these threads and your enthusiasm for them.

National chauvinist costumes day is the only holiday I still fully celebrate!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A whole bunch of goddesses out there this year, yet none of them appeared to be holding the still-beating hearts of those sacrificed to them.

Kind of disappointed.

Well there was no willing persistents from the audience

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Seen elsewhere:
    Most likely to be a JRPG protagonist: Norway
    Most likely to be a JRPG party member: Mauritius
    Most likely to be a JRPG final boss: Puerto Rico

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    HOLY FUCK WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THE ABSOLUTE MADNESS OF PUERTO RICO YET.

ssZG02U.jpg

IS SHE DRESSED AS A STEVEN UNIVERSE EPISODE?

Time to summon your persona

Peas on
    well Miss USA through the years has been a JRPG boss
    3hd4jp6qbm8q.png
    3sqt19dkroas.png
    9e7moa39d00q.png
    iof9d7f89w6c.png
    yea96zzkxoqr.png

The devil at the top isn't Miss USA, it's Miss Belgium.

The devil at the top isn't Miss USA, it's Miss Belgium.

I figured that out after I posted it it was flagged under Miss Usa when I looked it up

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh God, somehow I forgot about Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime is peak Miss America. It may be possible to top that, but they haven't even been trying the past few years.

Steve Harvey's casual sexism talking to these women is gross but the women have a grace answering his questions and not calling him an ass

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Seen elsewhere:
    Most likely to be a JRPG protagonist: Norway
    Most likely to be a JRPG party member: Mauritius
    Most likely to be a JRPG final boss: Puerto Rico

Most likely to be a JRPG DLC costume for 1.99 dollars: Japan

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Zambia joins her sister Ghana to kick your ass.

2SWUaZp.jpg

Oh shit. "this [festival] is the only time women can dress this way, to show that they are pure!" THE OBSESSION WITH PURITY IS REALLY GETTING OUT OF HAND GUYZ.

There were quite a few costumes that made me shout "Wakanda Forever!"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited December 2018
    I just found out Miss Spain is transgender, the first transgender contestant for Miss Universe. Neat!

Cambiata on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That's a heckuva url, but yay!

That's a heckuva url, but yay!

Yeah they should have thought a little bit more about the URL, but it comes from a quote of Miss Spain herself where she says having a vagina isn't what makes her a woman.