As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

My selvedge denim jacket from Brave Star finally arrived!

I cannot button it, it's too tight. Is that normal? Will it stretch?

The Levis trucker jacket I had bought in size large was way too big

This jacket is a slimmer cut, I should have went with a large

I cannot recall the proper handle to summon selvedge senpai W. T. Sherman

DouglasDanger on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    I need this sweater

DuYgGxvX4AAaHXC.jpgDuYgHdBWoAAjKVZ.jpg
    hah! i fuckin' knew i'd seen this recently!
    i was searching through Ravelry's wealth of intarsia charts for inspiration on my parents' holiday pressies, and i favorited that one.
    no clue it had memed -- a couple times! (apparently Princess Diana wore it.)
    a982038620413ab278279ed0dd90336e--lady-diana-princess-diana.jpg
    William!! :+1:

for those curious, the sweater is called Sign of Success; it's from a 1985 book of patterns --Wit Knits-- written by George Hostler and Gyles Brandreth. here's a tumblr with a bunch of scans from it.

a different designer, but these also went into my favorites:
    cat_3_small2.jpg
    dsc03846_small2.jpg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

@POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN

Ah, I forgot the Pokemon master part

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Holiday aesthetic

Duka-dKUcAAYU5M.jpg

(replace cat with giant dog)

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are we sure it was a happy xmas?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The cat blepping is perfect

BahamutZERO.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Is that cat stuffed?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Is that cat stuffed?

Full of cocaine, yes.

As all cats are

BahamutZERO.gif
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod

Did you hot soak it? Is it sanforized or unsaforized? Sanforized will stretch up to an inch or two but will shrink back to original sizings in a wash. If it's unsaforized it will still stretch, probably not as much, but will shrink quite a bit when washed/hot soaked.

Looking at the product page doesn't help much, but my guess is that it's sanforized as most Cone Mills was (RIP) but if @POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN knows the brand better I would defer to them.

Good to know, I'm not sure what "sanforized" means, really, but I think I'll return it and order a different one

Most old Levi's were shrink-to-fit. You bought a size up from your normal size, washed the jeans in hot water and they shrunk to the appropriate size...most of the time. Still a lot of guess work and inconsistency. Sanforization is a way to get around this. As the denim is coming off the loom they run it through a process (You can see it here) that basically pre-shrinks the denim. It does away with the initial wash/soak by the customer and take a lot of the guess work out of the process.

Hi, I'm a turbo nerd that buys loomstate jeans ama.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    oh ha

so i bought this set of rings from le target last week, just as nifty but generic stocking stuffer stockpile. the website description says the material is zinc. my antennae, they ping.

see, zinc is a very brittle metal. to make it more pliable (fairly necessary for shaping jewelry), you probably want to use it as part of an alloy -- to this end, it's often blended with lead. now, for adults, at least in the US, there are acceptable levels of lead allowed in various products (note i did not say 'safe' levels, just compliant), but there is no acceptable exposure for kids.

i had decided i was likely going to give these rings to an 8-year-old, so i do my due diligence and call the customer support line last night and then today to reach the right people. they tell me they'll contact the manufacturer and get back to me, probably in a couple business days.

immediately after hanging up, i look at the bottle again, and there's a sticker i had overlooked: "WARNING: Not intended for children ages fifteen and under."

...well, i think i have my answer.

they're cute, but getting returned with an explanation why.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Fuck that scammy crap, lead is shit. What awful bastards.

Good for you for doing the work.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    @tynic

only replace dog with a berner

507pdub5snti.jpg

i
    NEED
    that hat

chico hunt me a bear plz

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    And buy her a borzoi, apparently

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    no it's ok
    I'll just glue two of the berners together to make them pointier

instructions unclear, bernersphere created

BahamutZERO.gif
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have developed a Renaissance era sideburn curl.

0USrQkA.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i might buy that leather jacket

i do have $300 of store credit at the store already that i need to use...

poo
    edited December 2018
    Maybe this will be the replacement, if I can get this one returned fast enough

https://bravestarselvage.com/products/the-ironside-21oz-slubnoxious-heavyweight-selvage

😍

@denihilist

Is there some reason this heavy of a denim shouldn't be my first selvedge denim?

DouglasDanger on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    the American psycho business card scene but with denim

UmPiq.png
    i was gonna say with something so heavy it might take a bit to break in but the reviews suggest otherwise

poo
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • existexist Registered User regular
    before you buy your first heavy denim, there must first be a lengthy period of introspection wherein you examine if you will truly be ready to handle your newfound strength once you remove the weighted garment

UmPiq.png
    though maybe i don't need leather anytime soon

ya'll got me thinking denim

this looks cool

15y-denim-3_2560x.jpg?14995708931383736257

poo
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Denim is fine

But it's no leather

yes true, but i do not have a denim jacket
    and leather is a much bigger investment

the leather jacket i was looking at above was such
    schott-3sixteen-2018-12_2560x.jpg?14995708931383736257

Roughout is different from suede in that it’s meant to be beaten up and will look better with scuffs and scratches. The leather undergoes a complex vegetable tanning process which imparts tree bark extracts, waterproofing oils, and various waxes to give the leather a beautifully inconsistent look that shows sheen in certain spots and a deep matte color in others. Horween drum dyed the leather to give it a deep black color, and then milled it for a full day for softness and to bring out the nap. Alongside being rugged and weather resistant, this leather is sure to wear in nicely over time. This is not a leather jacket to be babied.

(We should note that due to this treatment process, the leather has an oily hand to begin with, but it will lessen over time as it's worn. Also - please beware, as this leather will also crock onto lighter colored clothing at its onset.)
    it's a 3sixsteen schott collaboration
    not traditional leather treatment, it's roughout leather hmm

poo
    yes but which do I cop, you see

or do i just throw away all my money

this would have been an easier decision had i sold some of my company's stock options when they were worth literally 2x as much a couple months ago compared to what price they have plummeted to today

poo
    I wish 3Sixteen stuff fit me but it just doesn't. It's weird too because Johan and I are similar builds/heights. The leather jacket I really, really want right now is from Left Field and Vanson
    leather1_grande.jpg
    leather4_8ebfec6c-7c48-4dbb-a193-6c71ad1dc7d9_grande.jpg

Or one of the Fine Creek Leathers double rider.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I bought a leather jacket once, and I never wear it because it's like a real moto jacket and has way too much padding. I end up feeling like the terminator walking around in it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited December 2018
    My friend / coworker got me into 3sixteen a few months ago

I’ve already spent so much oops

Over 2 years of knowing him he slowly got me longing for expensive/ nice men’s clothing rip

Edit: and I bought the denim jacket because uhh merry Xmas to me
    Sized up based on the measurements and my experience trying one on in the store and messaging them
    We’ll see

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Maybe this will be the replacement, if I can get this one returned fast enough

https://bravestarselvage.com/products/the-ironside-21oz-slubnoxious-heavyweight-selvage

😍

@denihilist

Is there some reason this heavy of a denim shouldn't be my first selvedge denim?
    @DouglasDanger the big thing is that it's gonna feel like cardboard for a few days before you get used to it, and it's gonna drape oddly for, oh, probably two weeks before it starts really molding to how you're put together. although most heavy fabrics tend not to wind up as soft as lighter stuff in the long run you probably won't care, because you'll have grown accustomed to it and it will have changed shape enough that it sits nicely on you. and i honestly think getting into heavy fabrics is easier with a jacket than with pants because you're less likely to be wearing it constantly and so you won't have as much chafing at crease points.

i'd say go for it. the slubnoxious fabric looks pretty wild, especially for how heavy it is
    exist wrote: »
    before you buy your first heavy denim, there must first be a lengthy period of introspection wherein you examine if you will truly be ready to handle your newfound strength once you remove the weighted garment
    this is also correct. i rip doors off their hinges and shatter pintglasses in my mighty grip, and couldn't stop screaming powerfully even if i wanted to

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    well if I’d wanted to cop that leather jacket I would’ve had to buy it immediately when it dropped because my sizes disappeared in seconds

I couldn’t really justify / afford to buy it tho esp with other recent spending and the absolute pummeling of the stock market recently
    But these pics I saw made me a bit sad I didn’t

That’s pretty

poo
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    well if I’d wanted to cop that leather jacket I would’ve had to buy it immediately when it dropped because my sizes disappeared in seconds

I couldn’t really justify / afford to buy it tho esp with other recent spending and the absolute pummeling of the stock market recently
    But these pics I saw made me a bit sad I didn’t

That’s pretty

Is that suede? After my shoe experience I soured super hard on ever dealing with suede again. It looks hella nice but Lord was it finnicky about how it was treated. I can't imagine a jacket of it. Obv ignore entirely if jacket was not in fact suede.

not suede, see above in the spoiler, though it looks similar

apparently a lot more durable / weather resistant and meant to be scuffed up etc

but doesn't matter though since i didn't get it x_x

poo
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular