As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

1626364656668»

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Koopah! That was ideal 24 hour stream material you jerk!

yeah 24 hour streams of bloodborne never go wrong. only if they hit 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4TF2cd2ug

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Koopah! That was ideal 24 hour stream material you jerk!

Maybe I'll do another over Christmas break... :thinking: :tell_me_more:

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Forum playthrough! I need to do my cane run

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    praise the cane

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I platinum'd the game, but I did a lot of the DLC and endgame content at something like level 150, with the cane, which felt a bit like cheating.

I made a new save, and as soon as I got to Amelia, I went into the DLC and rushed to get both the whirligig saw and the beast cutter, running a STR + ARC build, aiming to cap at level 120. Just need to defeat Kos and explore Cainhurst I will have done all bosses for a 2nd time.

The beast cutter is so satisfying in whip mode, very slow but nothing like face-planting a damn snatcher to the ground.

Satsumomo on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Could someone explain, in very simple terms, what the chalice dungeons are? Like, the who, what, why, how of them? I see a lot of cool things on the wikis that are supposed to be in them, but I get the feeling they're some kind of rogue-like BS, and I dread that idea, so if I can get some more direct information, that would be great.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    That is pretty much it.

Though some amount of story, unique monsters/bosses and variations of weapon gem slots can be found there.

The story dungeons are always the same layout while other dungeons are randomly generated. Using the codes you can use with root chalice to access the layout and access any unique loot or enemies there.

Kalnaur wrote: »
    Could someone explain, in very simple terms, what the chalice dungeons are? Like, the who, what, why, how of them? I see a lot of cool things on the wikis that are supposed to be in them, but I get the feeling they're some kind of rogue-like BS, and I dread that idea, so if I can get some more direct information, that would be great.

You have the basic idea already (they're randomized dungeons with some exclusive enemies and bosses). Lorewise, they're where the Church/Byrgenwerth dug out all the good shit except for what they found in the DLC.

So what they are is four tile sets (realistically, the same model pieces with different skins) used to make some fixed versions of 'dungeons' and also used to make procedural generated random ones. You pick up the first one by defeating the Blood Starved Beast, and some later ones from other bosses. As you complete the earlier ones it lets you proceed into the further ones until you reach the hardest ones which are depth 5, which is where all the good shit is. They're an interesting attempt at adding some longevity to the game but in practice people shared out codes to get into the 'good' ones that they found early on so exploration kind of ended until data miners found all kinds of lost content in them.

Here's an older guide to doing the chalice grind, but newer discoveries of "false depth chalices" (made by data miners) let you bypass a lot of this to get to the good grinding ones.

That is pretty much it.

Though some amount of story, unique monsters/bosses and variations of weapon gem slots can be found there.

The story dungeons are always the same layout while other dungeons are randomly generated. Using the codes you can use with root chalice to access the layout and access any unique loot or enemies there.

How do you tell what a story dungeon is, and what a random one is? I'm wholly uninterested in the gameplay of these games paired with rogue-likes, which are my most hated game type ever (even over something like sports games), so the more I can avoid them the better.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It is the basic chalice that is story.

I would need to research further but I am just on a phone.

Karoz on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've been doing all the chalice dungeons myself to try at getting all the trophies in the game, they're a little unintuitive but fortunately the difference between the set, pre-generated dungeons and the random ones is one thing which is quite clear.

Basically each time you want to enter a dungeon you have to conduct a 'ritual' in the Hunter's Dream, to do this you'll need a chalice and some materials, any chalice prefixed by the word 'root' will generate a random dungeon, there is no need to conduct root chalice rituals if you just want to see go through the 'essential' chalice dungeons.

You can find three chalices in the base game by beating certain bosses, the earliest of which is the Blood-Starved Beast, which is your route into the chalice dungeons. And then any other chalices are found in previous levels of the chalice dungeons, generally you have to beat each dungeon level in sequence in order to find the next chalice/s and the ritual materials needed to open the next dungeon. For the base, 'story' dungeons there is no random factor, you don't need to grind materials if you fully clear out each dungeon and grab all the chests and stuff.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I quoted myself instead of editing! My bad.

Anyway this game is fun, late to the party but this is my first time playing through, though I'm pretty much at the end now, just need to finish the chalice dungeons, find all the weapons and kill the last few bosses.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    That is pretty much it.

How do you tell what a story dungeon is, and what a random one is? I'm wholly uninterested in the gameplay of these games paired with rogue-likes, which are my most hated game type ever (even over something like sports games), so the more I can avoid them the better.

They're essentially completely separate things. The chalice dungeon entrances only share a hub with the story content. I don't think you even have to do any of the Chalice dungeons to finish the game.

check my link kalnaur, it lists out which ones are the 'story' and the order they're progressed in

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pthumeru Chalices are the story ones, their "Depth" determines how difficult they are and will let you get higher grade chalice materials (e.g. a depth 3 dungeon will give you Ritual Blood (3) and Ritual Blood (4) so you can then access depth 4 dungeons)

The only 3 prefixes that mean anything are Sinister, Defiled and Cursed, which makes the dungeons harder. Stuff like "Ailing" or "Lower" just means a higher depth pretty much. "Root" means it is a randomized dungeon (This is where the majority of bloodgem farming takes place).

You need to beat all the Pthumeru Chalices if you want to platinum game. Don't do a Chalice of the same type and depth, always try to get to the next depth by obtaining the required materials.

Satsumomo on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the weird thing is that the chalices aren't "randomized" as such

there's a couple hundred of each type and you basically grab one from the pool each time you make a dungeon

i think they've all been found and and mapped at this point. there's a bug that makes a large swath of the isz chalices stop generating as you collect the unique isz loot.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    That is pretty much it.

You 100% don’t need to do any Chalice dungeons to finish the game, and it’s not like it’s even very clear how you do them in the first place. Basically, you know all the altars on the second stairwell in the Hunter’s Dream? They’re over there.

They’re a very particular kind of fun and um I don’t know as I would recommend them unless you are a very patient fellow indeed. I went through them for the platinum trophy and they were probably the most memorable part of the game in terms of both frustration and sense of accomplishment.

Elendil wrote: »
    the weird thing is that the chalices aren't "randomized" as such

there's a couple hundred of each type and you basically grab one from the pool each time you make a dungeon

i think they've all been found and and mapped at this point. there's a bug that makes a large swath of the isz chalices stop generating as you collect the unique isz loot.

So it's less "totally random" and more "drawn from a pool that we've mapped and discovered"?

Because in that case, I'm more interested. I much prefer playing games like this with a map and the ability to memorize and repeat areas. Mainly because I'm . . . less than good at the actual combat, especially in this game, it seems. I just can't quite get the division of "too aggressive" and "not aggressive enough". So being able to know what's coming and what the weaknesses are is of utmost importance.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i mean there's hundreds of them and i don't think anybody's made like, detailed online maps of them in the strategy guide sense

they're random enough that it took a few years to discover that they weren't actually random. they're just not procedurally generated on the fly.

that's just root chalices, the main chalices are all 100% standardized and there are tons of resources.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Let’s do it. Penny Arcade’s Maps of the Challenge Map Maps of Challenge

Dot com

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Ailing Loran Chalice has a unique weapon only found in that location, if you care about that sort of thing at all.