As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    My local group (as opposed to my core/old group) is meeting again tomorrow for LMoP. We're in the home stretch now as we're finally at Wave Echo cave. Catering to the board game nerds I filched half my new group from, I've been hand drawing the maps on a large easel sized 1" graph paper pad, and used my kids crayola markers to add some colour.

One of them brought me back a small bag of assorted Meeples from GenCon (where he was helping our mutual friend, who is not allowed to play D&D with us because his wife won't let him :), goes every year to flog his newest creations... fun fact, his latest published release "Order of Invention" was debuted at this recent PAX Unplugged!) to use instead of minis. Because getting to minis gets expensive.

1" scale is big, yo. I've done all of wave echo cave now (skipping a few unnecessary squares here and there in transition) and it covers SEVEN 25" x 30" pages!
    Having recently done Wave Echo Cave as a player:
    It was big! We never bothered exploring every corner and I didn't feel like the campaign was encouraging that we'd do. I felt like the cave took us ages, I think we spent about as much time inside that damned cave as we did on the rest of the campaign. My group is not very good at combat, I think, so something like that flying skull nearly did us in.

I feel like as a DM you should consider how much your players (and their characters) know about DnD monsters and make it a bit more explicit what weaknesses/strengths they have. Like take that skull for example: didn't have an attack of opportunity! Was resistant to piercing weapons! It took us a while to figure that out. We also had a bit of infighting with one of our players who did not think he had a reason to stay with the group and made the whole thing double frustrating for other players (me, mostly). If your players don't know much about the mores of DnD, maybe discuss something like that with them.
    The most important question I should have asked up front was: do you want to discuss strategies when we encounter enemies, or do you want to run in blind? We went for the latter, but most encounters are balanced around former.

It went pretty well last night. The party got to the cave, handily dealt with the Stirges (at one point I did have 3 latched into the Barbarian meat shield at the same time), checked out the first guard room, where the Cleric forgot he could turn undead until there was only 4 left then decided it was a waste. They immediately decided to light the fungal forest on fire.... which of course triggered the poison cloud that screwed up a bunch of them and they quickly learned not to brush off environmental hazards. From there they reached the wraith, who started to speak....but this time the Cleric immediately tried to turn it. Which failed. Mormesk then gloriously sapped two of them of most of their HP before going down. I gave them their treasure and, before getting to the Spectator, suggested that this was a good spot to end the session for the night and generously gave them a Long Rest in the wizard's barracks.

The Barbarian, who has no magic weapons or armor yet, took a shine to the Pipe. Which, in the book is nothing more than a very nice bauble. I think I'll turn it magic... but I'm not sure what effects to give it. I was thinking of something minor like if you smoke from it, it invigorates you. The Barbarian likes to Frenzy, so maybe smoking from the Pipe will remove 1 point of exhaustion? I don't think that would break anything...but maybe the effects only last so long? A hour before the effect wears off and then the user gains TWO points of exhausion? Thoughts?

I would make it so that if he's smoking the pipe in the first round of combat then enemies that are fighting him both at disadvantage to attack him and grant advantage because they're so baffled that a guy would roll into melee while doing something most people do while unwinding.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Had an idea, but it is OP, I think. A peace pipe, it allows the barbarian to end their rage and regain the rage point. Costs one action.

I think that exhaustion is rough to deal with, so the pipe might find limited use if it has a drawback. I think it would be fine if the barbarian can just smoke the pipe for 10 minutes (either during a short rest or as a ritual (once per long rest) to remove a point of exhaustion.

Oh and obviously the barbarian and anyone in a 10ft radius will develop lung cancer and the barbarian takes a hit to his CHA because he stinks. ;)

Regaining a rage is too much, I think. But smoking the pipe during a short rest to remove exhaustion works for me I think. It does need a limit though otherwise is completely invalidates exhaustion.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Had an idea, but it is OP, I think. A peace pipe, it allows the barbarian to end their rage and regain the rage point. Costs one action.

I think that exhaustion is rough to deal with, so the pipe might find limited use if it has a drawback. I think it would be fine if the barbarian can just smoke the pipe for 10 minutes (either during a short rest or as a ritual (once per long rest) to remove a point of exhaustion.

Oh and obviously the barbarian and anyone in a 10ft radius will develop lung cancer and the barbarian takes a hit to his CHA because he stinks. ;)

Regaining a rage is too much, I think. But smoking the pipe during a short rest to remove exhaustion works for me I think. It does need a limit though otherwise is completely invalidates exhaustion.

Limiting it to once per long rest should make it fine.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    There's more you could do with the peace pipe - it could change effect based on the particular blend of leaves being smoked. For example, it may remove a level of exhaustion using one set of herbs, but another set may restore hit dice, or maximize hit dice healing. You could also keep the item relevant by having special reagents purchasable that cause new effects: the spring leaves of a dryad's tree might give barkskin or speak with plants and cost similar to a scroll.

what a happy day it is
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    There's more you could do with the peace pipe - it could change effect based on the particular blend of leaves being smoked. For example, it may remove a level of exhaustion using one set of herbs, but another set may restore hit dice, or maximize hit dice healing. You could also keep the item relevant by having special reagents purchasable that cause new effects: the spring leaves of a dryad's tree might give barkskin or speak with plants and cost similar to a scroll.

I feel like at that point it might be easier to modify it so that the peace-pipe allows spellcasters to cast 'personal' spells on others as long as they imbibe in the spell/material components.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's why I thought my first idea was OP, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind in case I ever need to give a barbarian a boost.
    doomybear wrote: »

That would be dope AF, but might not jive with a player who hates smoking. Would be great on someone who rolled a LOTR inspired character (smoking pipeweed was so cool)

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Is there a humanoid camel race and can you call them Joe

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

So they get real angry, smoke a bowl, and calm down... this checks out.

Sleep on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Well, this is.....interesting....

https://www.th

I would be laughing, if it wasn't so pathetic.

Tube on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Fishing for outrage

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am certain that we do not need to hear from a publication called the daily sheeple

edited December 2018
    Matthew wrote: »
    Well, this is.....interesting....

https://www.the

I would be laughing, if it wasn't so pathetic.
    You just linked an article from past April, I want to delve into this a little to show why the article is bs and why you should be more considerate about what you post on the forums.

As @Kadoken already wrote: this article is fishing for outrage. It is light in actual content and literally copies more than fifty percent of the Breitbart article it refers to. Neither one of them reached out to the author or Wizards or spends any time describing who this prof Garcia is. They also don't quote much else than the abstract.

So lets start at the start: who is professor Garcia?
    He's not a professor, but an assistant professor (as per his Twitter). He mostly writes about education and new media. There's a focus on racial issues. He tweets a lot of puns and he gets worked up over racism in schools. Nothing odd, but he's certainly not an out of touch crazy old professor as much as he is a dopey researcher who spends time on the Tweeter and thinking about teaching.

Now I wanted to look at his actual article, but it is behind the great paywall and only the very useless abstract can be read. The abstract doesn't contain Garcia's conclusions and doesn't describe the methods used. This usually means that the publication contains no original research and is more or less an opinion based on literature the author references. I cannot judge from the abstract whether the article is logically sound and unbiased.

The article has not been quoted in any other scientific publications, only in an opinion piece discussing Old Spice's attention to dnd. So the impact of Garcia's article is minimal at best. It was also published in a journal with a mediocre impact factor, so it won't get any traction with other authors either. All in all the article wouldn't interest me at all unless I would be writing a review of dnd in academia or something specific in the same field of research.

Lastly, I tried to find any interviews or other discussions about this article, but found none. The only other hit (other than more outrage-click articles from websites) is a talk Garcia held in April (around the time the articles appeared about his journal article from 2017) about DnD here. I haven't watched it yet.

My conclusion is that there is no need for outrage or for feeling attacked or offended. One researcher just wrote one small article in one small journal and -besides websites Breitbart -no one has paid any attention to it and the author hasn't put in any effort to draw more attention to his article either.

Edit: removed url from quote, Tube has the right of it.

Aldo on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hey, so what a good Point Buy amount? I've seen any where from 25-35. I'd want the characters to feel powerful with stats, they are heroes of course.

Hey, so what a good Point Buy amount? I've seen any where from 25-35. I'd want the characters to feel powerful with stats, they are heroes of course.

I believe standard is 27.

You can also opt to use the standard array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, & 8.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Standard is 25 I think.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Throw out all ability score bonuses from character creation and give them a flat 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Throw out all ability score bonuses from character creation and give them a flat 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8

18 seems to my to start with, by level 4 they can max out on a primary stat. They seems way too early for me to be the best you can be and you're still just killing orcs and whatnot.

steam_sig.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Max with standard array is 17?

sig.gif
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Standard is 25 I think.

The standard is 27. The highest you can assign to a stat is 15 (for 9 points). So with racial modifiers the highest you can get at Level 1 is 17.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    For my last DnD campaign (currently playing Edge of the Empire), my character creation rule was very generous, but I really like my players being BIG. DAMN. HEROES.

Roll 4d6k3 minimum 72 on the six stats with two being 15 or better.

Basically, this allowed the players to pick up feats instead of ASI, which I find personally more satisfying, so I'll probably keep it for the next campaign, but we'll discuss it with the others at the table.

I imagine this Star Wars Game will probably only last about 6-7 months total (and we're 3 months in), but the players are enjoying it, so who knows.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Question for all you DMs out there:

I've just started my 2nd campaign with my last group and I'm running into a motivational problem:

Everything I create has already kinda been done before.
    It somehow cheapens the effort I've put into my stuff, it begins to feel derivative.
    Do any of you guys run into this and if yes, how do you deal with it?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    evilthecat wrote: »

I've just started my 2nd campaign with my last group and I'm running into a motivational problem:

It somehow cheapens the effort I've put into my stuff, it begins to feel derivative.

Everything you're doing likely has been done before. That's fine. In fact it means someone's likely already done the heavy lifting for you and has already built a town you'd like to use or a monster that works for the encounter you're setting up.

Steal as much of that as possible.

Everything I create has already been done because I largely steal from everything.

I once ran entire session based off of Rambo: First Blood Part II.

My advice? If something you have created has already been done, you have some options:

-- Do it even bigger.
    -- Do it even smaller/subtler.
    -- Do the inverse/opposite of it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Even though the general tropes have been done before it will become unique when your players interact with it. They'll take it places you have no plan for.

It's the biggest strength of the medium in my opinion.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    mmmh it's more finding out after creating something that it's been done before.
    As an example, the adventure takes place on a tropical island.
    There's a deranged mage that's really into bio-engineering and thought koalas were boring so he fiddled with their metabolism and eating preferences. Fur that changes colour (think chameleon camo!). A shark's dentistry.
    They're small monsters that will swarm the PCs. I'm all pumped about the impending massacre ... and then I find out Zorbo's exist.

Which is great.... but because now in your campaign that deranged mage is the one who created Zorbo's in the first place!

Which is great.... but because now in your campaign that deranged mage is the one who created Zorbo's in the first place!

This too.

Like in my setting i'll use existing monster entries and even a little bit of fluff but i change the details to fit my crazy setting.

This comment somehow reminds me of that "I made this" comic :P

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    @Steelhawk

Before i suggest an idea I am going to say that "items that characters like" don't necessarily have to be magic. letting them like things that aren't can be good character development.

I would actually go the other way as most of these and make it semi-detrimental. When used as a communal smoke the pipe removes one rage/day for the next day or week or whatever or it simply uses one up that hasn't been.

You could then give it communal effect like zone of truth or comprehend languages. Something to transform rages from a "smash" resource to a utility resource.

If you go for the latter route then you also have the chance to bump up the power in mysterious ways when the plot demands it. When used alone in a time of need it could instead cast commune with nature or commune. You could add negative effects to this like being the subject of a dream spell. You could trigger this when the user had no more rages left to consume (unless they were high enough level that was impossible) as an example

The pipe wouldn't work for anyone else. Its primal, it must literally suck the rage out of someone to work. To anyone else, to magical examination et all. Its just a pipe.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Semi-historical campaign continues
    A relatively short session where I was pretty useless, but enjoyable nonetheless. After joking to our DM that she would base the villain of our game set at the dutch holiday of St. Nicholas on the same saint, she took our bluff. So while taking a ship from Cyprus to the Holy Land, we were ambushed by a steampowered ship. The minions were easily dispatched (did get a sneak attack+ sharpshooter in on one of them), but their boss was a lot tougher. My plan to move the ship while minions were trying to jump to ours was blocked when my party decided that they should board the steamer to fight the boss. Each of them made the jump. Being dex-based I decided to cut a rope and swing towards the other ship.... and rolled a 1. Another roll to try to catch onto something failed as well, so I ended up in the sea. At this point the DM and I both decided that my character probably wouldn't be able to swim, but I managed to catch onto a rope to keep from drowning. To wrap up the session for the night, the others managed to defeat the boss and we will probably continue post Christmas,

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    There's a deranged mage that's really into bio-engineering and thought koalas were boring so he fiddled with their metabolism and eating preferences. Fur that changes colour (think chameleon camo!). A shark's dentistry.
    They're small monsters that will swarm the PCs. I'm all pumped about the impending massacre ... and then I find out Zorbo's exist.

Man if you're upset about Zorbos ruining your adventure about a mad scientist on a tropical island making mutant animals with creepy bioengineering experiments, you're gonna be furious when you find out about The Island of Doctor Moreau.

The reality is that a lot of common stories are derivative because that's how stories work. Re-skin them, deliver them well, and maybe throw in a twist or two that breaks the mold of the trope, and you'll be fine.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »

Man if you're upset about Zorbos ruining your adventure about a mad scientist on a tropical island making mutant animals with creepy bioengineering experiments, you're gonna be furious when you find out about The Island of Doctor Moreau.

The reality is that a lot of common stories are derivative because that's how stories work. Re-skin them, deliver them well, and maybe throw in a twist or two that breaks the mold of the trope, and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I was realllllly expecting the punchline to the story to be Dr. Moreau.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

It's fine using other peoples ideas so long as you can think of ways to make them your own.

Ooooh, I love your campaign updates.
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    A relatively short session where I was pretty useless, but enjoyable nonetheless. After joking to our DM that she would base the villain of our game set at the dutch holiday of St. Nicholas on the same saint, she took our bluff. So while taking a ship from Cyprus to the Holy Land, we were ambushed by a steampowered ship. The minions were easily dispatched (did get a sneak attack+ sharpshooter in on one of them), but their boss was a lot tougher. My plan to move the ship while minions were trying to jump to ours was blocked when my party decided that they should board the steamer to fight the boss. Each of them made the jump. Being dex-based I decided to cut a rope and swing towards the other ship.... and rolled a 1. Another roll to try to catch onto something failed as well, so I ended up in the sea. At this point the DM and I both decided that my character probably wouldn't be able to swim, but I managed to catch onto a rope to keep from drowning. To wrap up the session for the night, the others managed to defeat the boss and we will probably continue post Christmas,

W-w-what colour were the minions?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ooooh, I love your campaign updates.
    Dizzy D wrote: »

W-w-what colour were the minions?

I honestly don't know (they were undead, so probably no longer recognisable). (There were some bitter comments on their possible origin though).

Oh, we had a night of terrible rolls btw: our NPC decided that he would fight on horseback on a ship. That didn't go well (the barbarian saved him and the NPC is now completely hero-worshipping the barbarian). Then our Paladin decided to make the jump to the other ship on his magically summoned horse. They didn't make the jump, but he was able to jump off his horse and make the jump that way (insert Mario+Yoshi meme). My Rogue didn't make the jump and ended up in the water, clinging to the horse that actually could swim. Then our Paladin (at 1 hp) in desperation decided to summon his warhorse to fall on top of the boss. The DM allowed it, but he rolled bad, so his attack missed (and the horse disappeared out of my grasp). Drowning in the sea did help protect me against the various spells the boss was slinging our way.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular

just lean into that shit and remember even if something starts out ripped off wholesale from something else, the minute your players get their hands on it it's instantly unique to your game and story you're telling

it's basically the Fanfiction principle--take old things and turn them in different directions and voila you have something else

literally EVERYTHING in my game world that i've put in has some kind of shorthand for it. the kingdom they're in? it started in my notes as "Magic France full of forests and shit."

and then after that you just add little flourishes and tweaks until it's no longer recognizable, or if it is and people notice (people in my game have, for example) shrug and say "I ain't an author getting paid to write this shit myself"

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2018
    There's a new Unearthed Arcana up for a sidekick system. Glancing through it, I think if you ported the Warrior over to the base Fighter chassis it would actually be better than a Champion.

A duck! on
    A duck! wrote: »
    There's a new Unearthed Arcana up for a sidekick system. Glancing through it, I think if you ported the Warrior over to the base Fighter chassis it would actually be better than a Champion.

And the spellcaster ends up with more spells known than a Sorcerer!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Overall I would definitely rather use the Retainers from Strongholds and Followers just for simplicity. But I also feel like even those are a bit much!

Strongholds and Followers released the full pdf last week, by the way, and it's very good. As someone who loves the idea of building and outfitting a hideout, it's a solid ruleset to give some modest bonuses for dropping all your coin on a ruined fortress.

Terrendos on
    Goumindong wrote: »
    @Steelhawk

Before i suggest an idea I am going to say that "items that characters like" don't necessarily have to be magic. letting them like things that aren't can be good character development.

I would actually go the other way as most of these and make it semi-detrimental. When used as a communal smoke the pipe removes one rage/day for the next day or week or whatever or it simply uses one up that hasn't been.

You could then give it communal effect like zone of truth or comprehend languages. Something to transform rages from a "smash" resource to a utility resource.

If you go for the latter route then you also have the chance to bump up the power in mysterious ways when the plot demands it. When used alone in a time of need it could instead cast commune with nature or commune. You could add negative effects to this like being the subject of a dream spell. You could trigger this when the user had no more rages left to consume (unless they were high enough level that was impossible) as an example

The pipe wouldn't work for anyone else. Its primal, it must literally suck the rage out of someone to work. To anyone else, to magical examination et all. Its just a pipe.

I get that, and the player would be equally has happy with his dum dum barbarian having just a shiney pipe to smoke out of. But whereas the dwarf cleric in our group has a magic axe, magic shield and was given the boots of striding and springing, one of the rogues swapped out a +1 longsword for a +1 shortbow during a jaunt into Neverwinter, and the wizard has a staff of defense and a cloak of protection... two PC's have bupkiss in the way of extra oomph and I want to find ways to give them a little something.

A pipe that alleviates exhaustion once per day sounds right up his alley.

This discussion has been closed.