As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I think the advantage vs. strikes (iirc "nightfall" is just a hard mode strike with no matchmaking) would be that gambit is of limited duration. Like regular pvp, you would be able to just sit down whenever, play a few rounds, and then go do something else, without worring about getting bogged down in endless derp. Whereas strikes can take an arbitrarily long time to complete, depending on how bad you or others are at them.

Surprisingly, Nightfalls are quicker than most Gambit matches

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    I think the advantage vs. strikes (iirc "nightfall" is just a hard mode strike with no matchmaking) would be that gambit is of limited duration. Like regular pvp, you would be able to just sit down whenever, play a few rounds, and then go do something else, without worring about getting bogged down in endless derp. Whereas strikes can take an arbitrarily long time to complete, depending on how bad you or others are at them.

Surprisingly, Nightfalls are quicker than most Gambit matches

Yes, that is surprising. I've been in some strikes that took over an hour, that were so frustrating sometimes that I seriously considered rage quitting.

I mean I guess if it wasn't challenging it wouldn't be fun, but this game is sometimes exceedingly bad at telling you what it is you are even doing wrong. It doesn't help people who do know what they are doing roll through so fast I can't even watch to see what it is they are doing right.

And then there's the times I just land in a hole and fall to my death because WHY NOT have giant death holes scattered around the final boss arena. As a flying spec warlock, the level design couldn't possibly cause me to kill myself over and over again. <table flip />

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You should check out some high score runs of Nightfalls and try some strats you see there. And obviously, not playing with randoms will speed things up greatly

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised that Nightfalls run shorter than Gambit, since there's a set path in the former that people blaze towards, and the latter's length tends to correlate with the level of competition involved.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Honestly, I could tolerate the current Gambit mode more if was just 1 round with a slightly higher mote requirement to summon. Nothing elicits a groan of misery from me like a 3 round match of Gambit.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    You should check out some high score runs of Nightfalls and try some strats you see there. And obviously, not playing with randoms will speed things up greatly

You are right, the correct answer to "How do I videogame?" is usually "youtube".

edit: That came off as snarky, but that wasn't my intention. I agree I should watch some videos of nightfall runs.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Honestly, I could tolerate the current Gambit mode more if was just 1 round with a slightly higher mote requirement to summon. Nothing elicits a groan of misery from me like a 3 round match of Gambit.

I think you’d need a few more changes if you went to one round.

- Reduction in stacks of Primeval Slayer/reduced effectiveness per stack.
    - meatball/butthole mechanics for all primevals.

Even with those, I’m not sure you can really stop the super coordinated burns, which just leads to a coin flip for evenly matched teams based on who gets screwed harder by knockbacl effects or bad jumps on maps like Kells Grave.

Sometimes you have a bad round, but can rally the next round or two to make a comeback. It also lets you change up your loadouts to better work with randoms (two grace locks or tethers isn’t as helpful).

I think I would feel worse about going through the whole long load just to lose in one round. Especially if it’s that kind of round where you get shunked on heavy, and despite summoning first their invader just hits their cadence and seems to always be invading and you lose.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'd argue that most of the problems with matching in gambit would be resolved if they simply matched preforms to preforms and did some kind of gear-based matching... but... neither of those will ever happen.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

I really, fundamentally loathe the "Respawning restricted" screen. Any chance to see that less, outside PvP, I'd be in favor of.

Sounds like adding scoring to forges, which might be neat.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I miss my strike medals.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Some mook in the blind well dropped a geomag stabilizer for me, continuing my streak of getting new exotics from random guys. I'm not complaining, it was a nice surprise, but it's weird man.

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Some mook in the blind well dropped a geomag stabilizer for me, continuing my streak of getting new exotics from random guys. I'm not complaining, it was a nice surprise, but it's weird man.

I've been well pleased with mine. Been wearing them non stop since I got them. It definitely adds some nice touches to the subclass.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    I also got 'em yesterday, and it really makes Chaos Reach a force of destruction. One full blast did about 50% of the average Primeval's health.

Plus, I got the Huckleberry and its catalyst tonight, and that thing is fun as fuck. Additionally, I got a Trust with both Dragonfly and Explosive Payload, which is also fun to play with.

Zoned into an in-progress Gambit match right as the other team defeated their Primeval with ours at full health. I groaned and just thought of my weekly bounty, but we then proceeded to smoke them twice to win the whole thing.

Also some great Nightfall runs with Nine, Fondor, and Mike made for a great night of Destiny.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey, so I haven't logged in for Dawning yet. Is there anything that's specifically weekly stuff I need to do tonight before the reset? Or can I start tomorrow and not lose anything?

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hey, so I haven't logged in for Dawning yet. Is there anything that's specifically weekly stuff I need to do tonight before the reset? Or can I start tomorrow and not lose anything?

There's a Dawning Weekly Bounty for completing seven Dawning Daily Bounties that offers a Powerful Reward. Problem is, she only offers four dailies.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I'd grab the week long bounties that can carry over (raid challenge, other big clan ones, gambit, spiders) at least, and you might want to grab some dailies if you plan on playing tomorrow to double dip. But don't think there's any Dawning specific stuff you need to grab that won't be there.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Even in the utter madness that is Mayhem, shards enhanced blade barrage is fucking busted.

One shot super with auto aim and massive damage resist that pretty much gets turned into a roaming super by the exotic is pretty unfun to fight

• Options
    Nothing quite like starting a forge with 6 spindle shots, and losing the ignition without seeing a single fucking heavy drop

Fuck off with that shit bungie

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    You should always grab a Public Event flag before going to the Forge, you keep all your ammo.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

I had my Geomags just fall out of one of the first cabal on the leviathan while I was repeatedly loading in there to grind powerful enemies for a weapon frame.

It was the exotic I was looking forward to the most, and I got it in maybe the most anticlimactic way.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I haven't taken mine off since I got them. Throw on a few super mods and just never stop slinging lasers.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Whoa, whoa. Are you trying to tell me that Forsaken actually has Exotic armor? I thought that was just an elaborate hoax...

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Just got both Ballistic Logs on my hunter, but still had the quest Sniper Frame to build in Gofannon. So at 8:34 I race to Gofannon, get dropped into an arena alone to start the encounter. The timer is down under 20 seconds before the other two players spawn in, and we somehow are able to race while under like 15s the entire first round and get it done.
    Midway through round two, we start getting the server messages that people in activities will start getting returned to the title screen...please not us. We beat round two.
    Boss fight, I am running Orpheus Rig and get off two tethers. We kill boss (8:54), I get a 635 sniper from the quest frame, and am not allowed to go any further.

Goodbye, Ballistic Logs. I hardly knew ye.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Just got both Ballistic Logs on my hunter, but still had the quest Sniper Frame to build in Gofannon. So at 8:34 I race to Gofannon, get dropped into an arena alone to start the encounter. The timer is down under 20 seconds before the other two players spawn in, and we somehow are able to race while under like 15s the entire first round and get it done.
    Midway through round two, we start getting the server messages that people in activities will start getting returned to the title screen...please not us. We beat round two.
    Boss fight, I am running Orpheus Rig and get off two tethers. We kill boss (8:54), I get a 635 sniper from the quest frame, and am not allowed to go any further.

That's ok, I've got a stack of Ballistics Logs I literally can't use.

One two characters I've got 2 Ballistics Logs still but Ada-1 is only selling one type of frame and only for modulus logs.

I have no idea wtf is going on with this system, but it seems buggy.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

That's ok, I've got a stack of Ballistics Logs I literally can't use.

One two characters I've got 2 Ballistics Logs still but Ada-1 is only selling one type of frame and only for modulus logs.

I have no idea wtf is going on with this system, but it seems buggy.

Not after reset you don't!

So it's got that going for it, I guess?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I'm beginning to suspect that carrying a frame over through the reset fucks everything up. Like, after you do the powerful frame (that you buy with ballstics logs), now you activate the normal frames (that you buy with modulus reports) so they appear on Ada-1.

Except if you do last week's powerful frame this week, you activate a set of normal frames Ada-1 is not allowed to show you, so instead you get nothing.

Cause the two characters I'm only seeing 1 frame on are the two characters where I carried over a powerful frame from last week.

• Options
    The whole frame system is overly complicated.

I have to get a Ballistics Log, then trade that for a Frame, then during the calibration I get a consumable I can trade in to empower the frame, which requires talking to Ada-1 again, then I have to go do a Forge... Just make the Frame drop when the Ballistics Log would drop if you don't already have an active Frame or, if you want me to have a choice of Frames, make them available for glimmer or something from Ada-1 instead of introducing the extra steps of acquiring and then trading in Logs.

And I don't know if you don't always get the consumable to empower the frame but I've gotten one on all 3 frames I've done so far, so I assume it always happens which leads me to question why it's even a step at all. I always get it with my last bunch of glowcube things. Just make me go trade in the calibrated frame for the thing I take into the Forge if you want me to talk to Ada-1; I don't need another consumable that I have no reason to bank...

• Options
    edited December 2018
    It's really not that complicated. At least, from what we can tell of how it works.

Basically, each week she offers 2 frames. The first one you do of each is a powerful reward. Doing both gets you another powerful reward but it's armour this time.

To do a powerful frame you do a weekly (either do 2 forges or do 2 days worth of dailies), then turn in the ballistics log for the frame. Do the quest, then do a forge run and you get your weapon.

After you've done the powerful version you can turn in modulus reports to get non-powerful version of the frame to get more shots at a better roll on one of those 2 weapons.

And that's it. The whole loop is:
    do your bounties -> do 2 powerful frames -> get 1 of each weapon and 1 piece of armour -> grind out forges for more chances a god roll on the 2 weapons of the week

It's an Armsweek style thing basically. It's overall not that complicated but it's not that easy to understand how it works at first.

shryke on
  • Options
    It's not that complicated!

*5 paragraph explanation*

• Options
    The whole thing is complicated first by them wanting to let you pick which gun to finish first and then further by the guns having individual calibration steps. If all gun frames were completed the same way you could just do a generic calibration bounty that awards a turn-in item to give you a gun of your choice. If they just picked which gun you'd get first then they could have made them work like Petra's weekly bounties where you'd get two weapons and finishing one unlocks the second then finishing both completes a Weekly Challenge to reward armor.

• Options
    The whole thing is complicated first by them wanting to let you pick which gun to finish first and then further by the guns having individual calibration steps. If all gun frames were completed the same way you could just do a generic calibration bounty that awards a turn-in item to give you a gun of your choice. If they just picked which gun you'd get first then they could have made them work like Petra's weekly bounties where you'd get two weapons and finishing one unlocks the second then finishing both completes a Weekly Challenge to reward armor.

Yes, but making it not generic and instead having each gun be a little quest specific to that type of gun is what makes it feel better and more like an actual forging you are doing instead of being super generic and unflavourful.

And it's not like the quests themselves are that difficult or complicated. You go get a core from the guys that spawn out in the patrol zone and then it's just "kill X number of Y enemy type" and "Kill Z things with the type of gun you are making". The most annoying part is actually having to go back to Ada-1 for each frame because otherwise it's actually really easy to just grind them out in the forge itself.

It's not that complicated!

*5 paragraph explanation*

None of which was complicated. It's like 2 sentence paragraphs ffs.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I resent quests that have a "go back to a vendor in the tower, just to advance the quest" step. That's just wasted time and these powerful frame quests are already a bit too long, don't make me run back to the tower too.

• Options
    The point I was making is that if you have to explain it at all, the game has failed to do so and therefore it's a failing of the game, not the player's ability to grok concepts and systems in games.

Bungie knows how to do these things, they're just being lazy and tossing in a shitload of grind for the meager rewards they've added

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It's really not that complicated. At least, from what we can tell of how it works.

Your second sentence basically makes the first sentence wrong.

Like, the multi-step process and various parts it takes I'm pretty sure is the textbook definition of "complicated"

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    New Forge quest is some shit ass content again.

It tells me to do Heroic Spire Integration, I do that and it doesnt register it at all, just wait for another one!

Fuck Black Armory.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Rather than "Get a weekly bounty then do the things it requires to turn in to get a log to spend at the vendor to get a frame that has some steps" it could have just been "Get a frame that has some steps" where step 0 of said frame is "do the things the weekly bounty to get the log would have required".

That alone reduces the complexity of the process by 3 steps and eliminates an extra trip to the Tower without actually reducing the number of mans-shooting activities, and simultaneously eliminates bad feelings over having Ballistics Logs vanish out of your inventory on reset.

• Options

Your second sentence basically makes the first sentence wrong.

Like, the multi-step process and various parts it takes I'm pretty sure is the textbook definition of "complicated"

Nah. A long series of extremely simple steps is not complicated. It's just long.

The system seems opaque at first because it's badly presented but it's actually really simple.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    New Forge quest is some shit ass content again.

It tells me to do Heroic Spire Integration, I do that and it doesnt register it at all.

Fuck Black Armory.

Make sure you're doing the one in The Hollows (as the quest step dictates) rather than the one in Exodus Black.

Rather than "Get a weekly bounty then do the things it requires to turn in to get a log to spend at the vendor to get a frame that has some steps" it could have just been "Get a frame that has some steps" where step 0 of said frame is "do the things the weekly bounty to get the log would have required".

That alone reduces the complexity of the process by 3 steps and eliminates an extra trip to the Tower without actually reducing the number of mans-shooting activities, and simultaneously eliminates bad feelings over having Ballistics Logs vanish out of your inventory on reset.

But the two weekly bounties that offer Ballistics Logs have different requirements. The (only) benefit of this system is that you can do one or the other and then choose which frame to pick up. It's balanced more around the people who don't do everything every week. Now that the "lose your completed frame if you do the wrong Forge" bug is fixed, they should absolutely nix the last "go talk to Ada" step though. Previously leaving your frame at that step was a good way to avoid the bug.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    The point I was making is that if you have to explain it at all, the game has failed to do so and therefore it's a failing of the game, not the player's ability to grok concepts and systems in games.

Bungie knows how to do these things, they're just being lazy and tossing in a shitload of grind for the meager rewards they've added

Does Bungie know how to do better? Most of the game is just like this. We figure it out as we go along.

The Black Armory stuff is about as complicated and well-explained as the Dreaming City stuff.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I resent quests that have a "go back to a vendor in the tower, just to advance the quest" step. That's just wasted time and these powerful frame quests are already a bit too long, don't make me run back to the tower too.

Especially in a game where "fly to the tower, then fly somewhere else" is literally 7ish minutes of load screen.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6