As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Warranty is done in a week and I'm sure they'd find out they spilled juice or jelly in there and charge me for the repair.
    Trying to find a good screwdriver, as I don't mind disassembling and reassembling things.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    One thing you could do is dunk a qtip in rubbing alcohol, then wet the base of the stick and spin it a few times to work it in there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/WGHvzpbBzsA

Nobody told me about Cattails. Why did nobody tell me about Cattails?

I now own Cattails. It is cat-tastic.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »
    I've picked up Gris and the game is so cerebral that it makes me start to nod off. That's not a critism. It's like a playable lullaby to me.

The Rock Paper Shotgun review of Gris was that there's not much there beyond it being very pretty, but that it's so very pretty that that's probably okay.

I mean, that worked for Journey.

And ABZU!

I miss Pikmin. I hope the Pikmin games get put on Switch.

I kept my Wii U for all the software on it. I'm dwelling on finding a Wii U secondary controller so I can play Pikmin 3 with my girlfriend.

I was explaining Pikmin to someone in work a few days ago, and why I'd have an issue with them on switch.

Playing Pikmin 3 using the Wii Remote for control and the the Wii U gamepad for maps and planning was the best way to play the game.

I know it's my personal preference, but people just have to accept that I'm completely correct on this one.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think my left joycon is on its way out. The analog stick take a second to register downward tilts. At first I thought it was just some weird issue in Let's Go Eevee, but it happens in the eshop and now in Smash. If I tilt the stick down in Smash, it takes about 2 seconds before the character crouches.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think my left joycon is on its way out. The analog stick take a second to register downward tilts. At first I thought it was just some weird issue in Let's Go Eevee, but it happens in the eshop and now in Smash. If I tilt the stick down in Smash, it takes about 2 seconds before the character crouches.

take a thinner straw (like the ones in juiceboxes), put the tip under the rubber skirt of the joycon and blow

vrl0f2rim4ow.png

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

take a thinner straw (like the ones in juiceboxes), put the tip under the rubber skirt of the joycon and blow

vrl0f2rim4ow.png

1. This advice sounds vaguely sexual
    2. I can't quite picture what this looks like in my head
    3. Is this how Bowsette started? I'm not ready for Joyquette on a Tuesday morning

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I know everyone else is playing Smash but Gris is a really cool game, y'all. It's beautiful and definitely evokes Journey. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/xtWnBHG6dis

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Someone should combine the beauty of Journey and the gameplay of ... literally any game. Just any actual gameplay at all would be nice.

The gameplay was dead simple, but I can't deny the last half of Journey wasn't a fuckin' experience. One of those "once in a lifetime" moments.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    There was a game coming out for Steam/Switch that had a really amazing art style and looked like a cross between Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley but I can't for the life of me find it, because Googling that exact sentence leads to an Ouroboros of madness.

Someone should combine the beauty of Journey and the gameplay of ... literally any game. Just any actual gameplay at all would be nice.

Journey had actual gameplay, though. Unless you just started the game and it completed itself without any input from you, in which case... that's a haunted game, brother.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Looks like the Switch is continuing to slay.

Nintendo Switch is the Fastest-Selling Video Game System of This Generation
    From its launch in March 2017 through November 2018, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 8.7 million units, outpacing U.S. sales of all other current-generation systems at the same point in their life cycles.

The following data from Nintendo of America is specific to the U.S. only:
    • Nintendo hardware unit and dollar sales for 2018 are at their highest annual totals since 2011.
    • Nintendo eShop sales have grown 105 percent over 2017.
    • Evergreen Nintendo Switch games have set new milestones, with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe selling over 4 million and 5 million units, respectively. Super Mario Odyssey has sold over 4.7 million units.
    • In addition to the fast-selling Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, other recently released games that continue to make a splash include Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!, which together total 2 million units, and Super Mario Party at 1.4 million.

I think the most impressive parts are eShop growth, especially given how anemic the built in storage for the Switch is and how under featured the actual eShop is. Also, those ~50% attach rates. Just madness.

With just about every analyst predicting Nintendo will underperform their 20m 2018 sales goal, I wonder if their stock will finally break it's slump if they go on to achieve it anyways. It's in the ballpark looking at their historic sales trends.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Nintendo breaking away from the console cycles of the PS4/Xbox has been really good for them on the whole; since people feel less like they need to choose between the 3. There's a lot of "I bought one of the other two a few years ago, and picked up a Switch this year"

Javen on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    For me, to get the best experience, owning the Nintendo system and one of the other big 2 is the way to go.

Like now I have the Switch/PS4 combo and I pretty much can play most of what I want in the generation. In many cases there is too much I want to play for the time that I have.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    For me it's PC/Switch. I've considered getting a PS4, mostly for God of War. But I simply don't have the time in my life for that many games. The Switch has mostly hoovered up even the time I spent PC gaming. Although Battletech pulled me back away from Smash recently.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Journey had actual gameplay, though. Unless you just started the game and it completed itself without any input from you, in which case... that's a haunted game, brother.

I liken it to going to an art museum. Sure, I have to walk through the exhibits, and the art isn't looking at itself, but I would hardly call it interactive.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Supposedly Journey is getting a PC release. I may pick that up or just keep waiting until it comes to Switch. I guess Sony's exclusive agreement is done? Never did get to play it since I don't own Sony consoles.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Finally got one of those Pro Controllers.

Uh, what do I do with this thing?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Return it, grab a gamecube controller, and SMASH!
    Actually the pro is pretty great for all other games. Enjoy the top notch sticks!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Tilt the joystick to the right.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
      Okay so:
      Surfpossum wrote: »
      I watched this trailer while buying Rain World and purchased the game immediately, no questions asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5E9xn78L0s
      2r51d7anl2qw.jpg

1erctcomfrwz.jpg

0svj8sbep32h.jpg

fcdyuwvqdmzt.jpg

I am so getting my ass to Mars.
      A review after about 30 minutes:
      • This game is already bursting at the seams with style and character. It knows what it wants to be and what it wants to look like and is doing it very well.
      • The gameplay portions look like they're going to be variations on a fairly simple, short, but slick shmup style race. You shoot stuff to gain speed/money, avoid obstacles, take damage to your bike, get hungry, etc. In between races you can upgrade/repair your bike, eat, or wander around. It looks like there are various little jobs you can take on and they'll be variations on the race, but I've only tried one other thing so far (pizza delivery).
      • The walking around is fantastically cinematic. It's a bit slow so it might get dull after a while, but holy moly it's worth checking out.
      • It's like ten bucks c'mon.

Meanwhile, Rain World after 30 minutes:
      • Controls and movement felt a bit clunky, but better once I realized that it's meant to be kind of a slow, methodical exploration game.
      • This is not a handheld mode game. The environments are incredibly lush and detailed and full of little things that add life and character, and the Switch screen makes everything a little too cramped.
      • I am super excited for the experience of fitting the world together. It's very, very minimalist, so there's no map or anything. Gotta learn where things are, how stuff behaves, etc. etc. It's all gorgeous and atmospheric and wonderful tho.

Again, these are more just initial impressions, but I'm very excited about these two.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

This confounded me for a while as well!

Go to your controller settings or wherever you can "change grip/order" of your controllers, then press the shoulder buttons on it to pair it.

Go to your controller settings or wherever you can "change grip/order" of your controllers, then press the shoulder buttons on it to pair it.

You can also plug in the cord that came with it to auto-pair it.

Oh I just meant what games are best played with a Pro Controller? I have never docked my Switch, but I felt like I should get one for Smash and other platformers I've been playing on Switch that hurt my thumbs because the DPad is too low and bad.

steam_sig.png

TimFiji wrote: »

You can also plug in the cord that came with it to auto-pair it.
        Oh, right, I initially got a used one from GameStop that didn't come with a cable.

Then returned it after discovering that Amazon was selling new ones for the same price.

Oh I just meant what games are best played with a Pro Controller? I have never docked my Switch, but I felt like I should get one for Smash and other platformers I've been playing on Switch that hurt my thumbs because the DPad is too low and bad.

I like the joycons, but pretty much anything docked plays better with the pro. Bigger buttons and smooth sticks.

Bit of a pro tip, you can turn on the Switch with the pro controller. You just have to hold the home button for a good second or two, and the controller does the barest minimum rumble as acknowledgment.

edited December 2018

Every game plays well on it, honestly. Not sure I can think of any that I would be like "play this one but not that one." It's just a good solid controller. Try out your favorite games on it!

UncleSporky on
          Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
        • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
          edited December 2018

Joke's on you, the pro's d-pad is still pretty bad. And due to being larger, the sticks are worse for platformers than those on the joy-cons.

If you never dock your switch, the hori d-pad left controller (i.e. fake joy-con) is the way to go. Possibly paired with a grip.

rahkeesh2000 on
        • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
          Anyone know if the Hori D-pad works with that vertical grip?

steam_sig.png
        • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
          Pretty sure it doesn’t

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
          i wonder if we'll see a switch xmass sale

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
          camo_sig2.png

Joke's on you, the pro's d-pad is still pretty bad. And due to being larger, the sticks are worse for platformers than those on the joy-cons.

If you never dock your switch, the hori d-pad left controller (i.e. fake joy-con) is the way to go. Possibly paired with a grip.

🤔 Well thanks for letting me know I wasted my money, I guess.

How bad could a Nintendo dpad be? And if it's positioned better than the "dpad" on the left joycon, I should be good.

steam_sig.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
          edited December 2018
          I pulled the trigger on another Switch Deal. Let's hope this one goes through. There's a Google Express deal going on here that has been live for a few hours:

https://express.google.com/product/Nintendo-Switch-with-Neon-Blue-and-Neon-Red-Joy-Con-and-Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate/2644315416674345789_0_46586

If you use the code GIFT15, you can get Neon/Blue Switch with Smash Bros for $305.99, no tax, free shipping. Just going to return the Smash I bought and save the money if it does go through.

This showed up yesterday! No issues with delivery or charging, but the shipping box was a mess. It had a large rip in the cardboard, and one of the ends was basically separated from the tape and pushed in making a pretty large hole. I thought someone had punched into it and grabbed the Smash inside of it, but both the Switch box and the Smash are there and still in-tact & wrapped up. I'm going to open the Switch to test it today before I wrap it for my sister, but at first glance it seems like a great purchase. Basically a $6 copy of Smash, and zero tax & shipping on the Switch made this a great offer.

Belk also finally refunded my under-stocked cancelled order yesterday as well. Only took a week :razz: .

KoopahTroopah on
          People have complained about it but I haven't noticed issues with mine. Might be subjective. All you can do is try it out.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
          Yeah I found the Pro's Dpad way more useful than the joycons... But I also hate the joycons with a passion.

🤔 Well thanks for letting me know I wasted my money, I guess.

How bad could a Nintendo dpad be? And if it's positioned better than the "dpad" on the left joycon, I should be good.

I'm not a huge fan of the joycon's analog sticks and dpad, and I find the pro controller to be a nice improvement in most games I've used it with.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
          TNTrooper wrote: »
          Anyone know if the Hori D-pad works with that vertical grip?

no wireless on it so it won't. it only works when connected to the Switch itself.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
        • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
          Remember that with the thousands people that are happy with the dpad (including me), there's always a vocal minority that will make you think otherwise. That isn't to disparage the vocal people but to keep in mind that if it was a significant problem they would have recalled or stopped producing it. If I wasn't in here I would have thought it was the market's best controller.