As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm not really into either Crystal Lake band. The Brazilian one is just meh thrash metal and this one sounds like a Fear Factory reproduction without hooks and a metalcore background. Sad, because I think that name deserves a really awesome serial killer thrash/speed metal band or something.

autothrall on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'm not really into either Crystal Lake band. The Brazilian one is just meh thrash metal and this one sounds like a Fear Factory reproduction without hooks and a metalcore background. Sad, because I think that name deserves a really awesome serial killer thrash/speed metal band or something.

I'm enjoying them because pedantically it's rap metal with a completely different take. Their lead vocalists phrasing and lyrical construction is heavily hip hop influenced.

They do have hooky songs like "Apollo." But they're treading some cool different ground as far as metalcore goes. Specifically, not having a "lead guitarist" that noodles over the entire fucking song and heavy use of more common scales and modes from eastern music.

https://youtu.be/jX8RTjUUcLE

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So this was another really good year for metal, guys and gals!

High-fives all around.

• Options
    I came across an interesting band called Entropia today. I'm not sure if it's been linked in the thread already, and I'm not really sure what genre it falls into. But this first track off their album is really cool and kind of creepy:

https://youtu.be/xsbAHcH01qY

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So this was another really good year for metal, guys and gals!

High-fives all around.

I've gotten few albums this year (Maybe 10?) but they've all been solid.

I'm looking forward to the new Soilwork in January.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I came across an interesting band called Entropia today. I'm not sure if it's been linked in the thread already, and I'm not really sure what genre it falls into. But this first track off their album is really cool and kind of creepy:

I posted about them awhile back in the previous thread I think, but yeah this is a very good album, will be on my RYM list!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_pjyqd7HpTc1qazbepo1_400.jpg

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    So that new Sulphur Aeon is really good. I love how they're taking what they've done previously and twisted it further so each release seems fresh (salty?). Really like how they incorporated the cultist-like cleans in this one. Not sure how I'll rank it with the other two as they're just so damn consistent!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    you guys

https://youtu.be/xbPwaAFHDG8

"Not that i could prove any of this but oh well: Me and the drummer talked to the owners right before they were closing this [Denny's] location and they were gonna have the lease through the end of the month. They said they were shutting down for business the next day and we asked if we could have a small show there. We would charge min 1$ and they could keep all proceeds. The owners were very cool and thought it was a great idea. I brought the fans from work and borrowed the PA from a friend. We hit up any friends bands that could make it in the next 24 hrs and promoted it the best we could. Not that glamorous I suppose , right place right time I guess"

that's punk as fuck

desc on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    To round of a ridiculous year of releases, I get to go to an absolutely insaneotron gig tonight. Revocation, Archspire, Rivers of Nihil and Soreption. Sounds like it's gonna be close to capacity too.

RIP my neck.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    VOIVOD IS PLAYING AN IMPOSSIBLY SMALL VENUE 15 MINS AWAY FROM ME AND I GOT TICKETS IN TIME CUZ FUTTBUCKER TEXTED ME.

I'M GONNA SEE VOIVOD IN APRIL!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Voivod just announced a tour supporting YOB along with Amenra. I'm tempted but I'm one of apparently like 5 people that wasn't blown away by Our Raw Heart.

You're going to love that show, @Campy I saw Revocation with Rivers a few months ago (Archspire wasn't on the tour in NA) and it was incredible.

Also as an aside, the Lost in Vegas guys revisited Meshuggah with Demiurge and seemed to like it, and then went back to re-listen to Bleed which they hated the first time around and actually liked it this time around. Just goes to show that the more metal you listen to, the more accessible it becomes and the easier it is to enjoy.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    'Supporting' YOB? What has this world come to?

Maybe I should go to Maine to see Voivod, instead of Boston.

autothrall on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Holy shit guys its almost 2019 and only couple months away finally from the release of a new Tool album!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    'Supporting' YOB? What has this world come to?

Maybe I should go to Maine to see Voivod, instead of Boston.

I'll be there. If you're gonna wanna go to Maine though, I'd buy tickets soon, it's not gonna last. Venue is about as big as the upstairs area where we saw Tomb Mold.

I didn't even realize they were there as support.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Holy shit guys its almost 2019 and only couple months away finally from the release of a new Tool album!

I was thinking about this yesterday. As much as I enjoy Tool, I don't think I've enjoyed any of their albums as much as Aenima. None (neither?) of their albums since have been as memorable to me.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I liked Tool a bunch before I got into metal properly. No clue why I would choose them over Neurosis or something now.

Also, Voivod opening for Yob is blasphemy for sure. Co-headliners would be fine, but god damn. I do like when a bill manages to balance styles like that, though. It's so boring to see 4 tech-death, or 4 doom bands, back to back. I saw Yob open for Enslaved a few years back and that was perfect.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I mean I'm going to check out the new Tool album, for sure.

I don't know if they rank among my favorites now, but I still jam Aenima and 10,000 Days from time to time.

"Sober" still ranks in my all time favorite tunes. Just a killer song top to bottom.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I liked Tool a bunch before I got into metal properly. No clue why I would choose them over Neurosis or something now.

I mean I don't dislike YOB, I like some of their stuff, and I get that they're hip, but Voivod is a legendary band...

To me that's like having the Rolling Stones open up for The Black Crowes.

I think my wife might go with me though so we might hit up Boston. I'll gladly come up to Maine and hang at a gig though, keep me posted on smaller ones that show up.

autothrall on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I mean I don't dislike YOB, I like some of their stuff, and I get that they're hip, but Voivod is a legendary band...

To me that's like having the Rolling Stones open up for The Black Crowes.

You just made me think of when Black Sabbath opened for Ozzy Osbourne. (Granted, there were reasons for that, and rather significant ones, but still.)

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That is pretty lame, actually, although I could have understood a mixed set where they just swapped back and forth. Tunes like "Crazy Train" are pretty goddamn huge.

Just got two tickets for Voivod and YOB at the Royale in Boston.

Also I just put in an order through Tankcrimes to plug in the holes in my Ghoul collection and some other things. Pretty swell, easy to use little label shop, they include 320 mp3s of everything you buy and it was a better deal than anywhere else I could find (they had the double-pack of the first two albums for $12).

And most importantly, I came to show you that this is a thing that is real...another 10/10? We'll see.

jx7qg7x54u1f.jpg

autothrall on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I liked Tool, and then was sick of Tool because people who like Tool can't seem to disabuse themselves of the notion that Tool are both more lyrically deep and more musically complex than any other band ever, and then came back round a bit and decided I won't let the dickheads spoil my attempts to sing along with Parabola in the car.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Tool is fine, but they are hardly musically complex. The rhythm section is talented and engaging, but what they play isn't exactly challenging or inaccessible. The guitars feel like they're asleep half the time. The lyrics do have some depth to them, for sure, but they achieve that half the time through pretty base level 'I'm so tormented' cliches and repetition. I've gone through my anti-Tool phases once or twice but I realized this disdain was really towards some of that fan attitude (as you hinted), and I was being puerile.

For me the strength of the band is their uniqueness, between the mix of dispassionate weariness and throbbing bass lines, grooving beats, and the conviction of the vocals. The structure of the music is a weird elixir of primal and meditative. It creates an eerie effect that holds up over time. They certainly stood out against the usual radio rock pap. But I can't ever remember thinking they were that musically overwhelming just because they have a couple long songs full of simple stuff.
    I'm one of apparently like 5 people that wasn't blown away by Our Raw Heart.

Make that six people! Well Our Raw Heart is decent stuff, I'd give it a solid 7.5, but hell there are single tunes on The Wake that I like more than that whole album. It didn't crack my top 100 for the year, and might not crack the top 200, though I'm not keeping track that far down this time. It could be a grower more than a shower, though, so I'll revisit it and see if the stars align for me.

autothrall on
  • Options
    The new Phlebotomized album coming out next year is great stuff, kind of a mix of their earlier albums with vintage Septic Flesh.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Tool is fine, but they are hardly musically complex. The rhythm section is talented and engaging, but what they play isn't exactly challenging or inaccessible. The guitars feel like they're asleep half the time. The lyrics do have some depth to them, for sure, but they achieve that half the time through pretty base level 'I'm so tormented' cliches and repetition. I've gone through my anti-Tool phases once or twice but I realized this disdain was really towards some of that fan attitude (as you hinted), and I was being puerile.

For me the strength of the band is their uniqueness, between the mix of dispassionate weariness and throbbing bass lines, grooving beats, and the conviction of the vocals. The structure of the music is a weird elixir of primal and meditative. It creates an eerie effect that holds up over time. They certainly stood out against the usual radio rock pap. But I can't ever remember thinking they were that musically overwhelming just because they have a couple long songs full of simple stuff.

Similarly, if you don't bob your head to the bassline in "The Pot" you may be dead inside.

I consider them a longtime listen, something that doesn't horribly age with time. A lot of their Undertow album still sounds amazingly fresh, despite it coming out almost two and half decades ago.

But I've absolved myself from "seeking answers" in the lyrics or song structures. Yeah they like to fuck around and experiment with the pop rock formula, and Danny Carey is always a joy to listen to, but they aren't the second coming to me anymore.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Tool aren’t even kvlt

*crosses arms*

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Do you even kvlt, bro? etc etc

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Auto's over there talking about his favorite 200 albums from 2018.

I'm over here with all the albums I got from 2018.
    477.jpg

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    I just now realized that there was a new Deceased that came out last month

https://youtu.be/9wz_c6wozjg

• Options
    I just now realized that there was a new Deceased that came out last month

And a pretty damn good one! But when are they not, really?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Haunt has a new album coming out this year, and you can hear a new song at their bandcamp.
    a2469095092_16.jpg

I found it to be a perfectly acceptable song that sounds like it would fit just fine with the material from their previous (only?) album.

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I love that song. Damn. It's everything I liked about the first album but just a bit more aggressive. That's an immediate preorder for me.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Haunt is fun - they put on a good show

Just got Mournful Congregation’s repress of The Book of Kings

Goddamn I love this album

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Haunt doesn't waste any time. Futt is right, that song is great, I love the little backing rhythm guitars with the muted melodies, very similar to anthemic Euro power metal but nestled into the retro heavy metal frame.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Looks like there's a brouhaha building up around Nergal and his quasi associations with NSBM friends (Rob Darken and Bolzer), among other faux pas.

As I've said before, I've quite liked Behemoth's newer stuff, although I think their most recent was a bit of a letdown after the Satanist. But I'm also so sick of Nergal's antics, which has impacted my enjoyment of the band for some reason.

On one hand, it seems like Nergal's associations with these shady characters is thin at best, and this is a non-story for the most part. But on the other hand, on Behemoth's FB page, Nergal trotted out the whole 'I'm friends with them, and fans of their music but we have a don't ask/don't tell policy about their politics and ideals."

Like...I get it, I also don't talk politics with my friends all the time, and it's possible that I'm friends with some actual hateful people that I don't know about. But at the same time, Black Metal has suuuuch a rotten reputation for being filled with racists, fascists, bigots and other assholes that just once I would love to see someone with Nergal's clout say 'I didn't realize this guy had associations with Nazism and so fuck that guy.'

• Options
    In better metal news, the new Nailed to Obscurity single is really good!

https://youtu.be/LY7Oo3H5ec8

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Another new Soilwork song too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-kcWrCX9rA

edit: apparently, according to a youtube comment so YMMV, the video is an animated version of the origin story for Scientology? weird.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Guys, I'm becoming a complete sucker for all this hard rock/proto-metal stuff. Graveyard, Flight, Demon Eye, Dead Lord... I think I need an intervention. I don't know if it's just D.ad R.ock S.yndrome or maybe it's just genuinely awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01z-AO4c4DY

autothrall on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Do you find yourself wearing jorts while you're washing your Trans-Am?

• Options
    Do you find yourself wearing jorts while you're washing your Trans-Am?

Wait, kako, are you telling me you DON'T wear your jorts when washing your Trans-Am?

This discussion has been closed.