As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    While I understand the security risks of having my thermostat on the internet, I now can't live without it. I can change my temperature anywhere. I actually want to make my front porch light a smart switch now so that I can turn it on and off from my phone.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    While I understand the security risks of having my thermostat on the internet, I now can't live without it. I can change my temperature anywhere. I actually want to make my front porch light a smart switch now so that I can turn it on and off from my phone.

I'm imagining some hacker laughing to himself in a dark room as he turns up the heat on my thermostat. "That'll get her!!"

Scene cuts to me with a huge grin, sweating profusely in my apartment

Give me all the heat

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The security risks to you are pretty minimal.

The question is really "how okay are you with your thermostat being part of a Russian and/or Chinese botnet being used to launch DDoS attacks"

because most things that are not computers or smartphones that get connected to the internet end up in a botnet.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    The security risks to you are pretty minimal.

The question is really "how okay are you with your thermostat being part of a Russian and/or Chinese botnet being used to launch DDoS attacks"

because most things that are not computers or smartphones that get connected to the internet end up in a botnet.

eh. i stick my smart things on a vlan so at least the only can torture is the greater internet. which is already a screaming hellhole anyway so fuck it, remote thermostat control here we go.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

I've started down the rabbit-hole of smart switches with my Christmas trees this year. I didn't want the hassle of reaching down around the hallway tree to the socket that doesn't have a switch on it

Now when we get up / go to bed it's just a case of "hey Google Christmas on / off"

It feels decadent

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I have a FireTV Cube and goddamn that thing instantly made me so damn lazy, and I do not regret it at all. Sure, it's constantly listening to me no matter what, but I can turn on the TV and watch Riverdale while walking into the living room holding a dinner plate. No fumbling with a remote at all.

Also I can be laying down on my couch and know what time it is without even turning my head to look at the wall clock. Goddamn.

sig.gif
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

I've started down the rabbit-hole of smart switches with my Christmas trees this year. I didn't want the hassle of reaching down around the hallway tree to the socket that doesn't have a switch on it

Now when we get up / go to bed it's just a case of "hey Google Christmas on / off"

It feels decadent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufvjjMp1rUg

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It does feel pretty good to shout at the computer that lives in my house to engage Christmas mode.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The kids next door have rung my video doorbell and run away twice today. I can't tell if this is the dumbest prank ever, since I can clearly see them on the video capture, or the most brilliant, since they have discovered the ability to hassle me at work from halfway across town.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Just saw my energy bill for last month. $15.06 for a 2 story 2200 square foot house. Thank you cold weather and solar panels.

e: Thanks to a class action lawsuit, those panels no longer come with a monthly charge!

Kaplar on
    Boy am I glad I nearly killed myself getting all that stuff up into the loft ready for the plasterers to start on Monday seeing as how it's now *checks* Wednesday and they're still not here

The plasterer was the only one that turned up when I was waiting for the roofer / electrician / plumber! Now everyone else has been and they're not answering the phone

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the cable distribution things is in my yard but it's not the one for my area the other day someone hooked up a line that goes over the fence I know basically where it goes but you can see the bright white line from the street

Another thing the street light being out and most of the homes don't have people in them again it gets dark real dark in my neighborhood so it's an interesting walk home

The talk about package thieves in the youtube thread I know the police the other day said they were to busy for it but it's kind of silly they are now taking action since there was various community run things to prevent package thieves that popped up instead

Because it's also kind of sad that one of the community things posted a bunch of posters in the area {on garbage cans and some light poles} about a gang going around mugging people in some of the shopping areas

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The last time we had a package thief it was the Amazon driver who delivered it. I hope he enjoyed his ceramic cat bowl.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    The last time we had a package thief it was the Amazon driver who delivered it. I hope he enjoyed his ceramic cat bowl.

Well I have never had a package stolen from my house but I have had 3 from the post office

Same thing happened to me, recently. I got a notification that the package was "handed to resident" and seeing as how I'd been in all day knew that was false

Hope whoever took the package enjoys that box of 150 assorted nails

I used the refund money to buy a much bigger box from the timber supply place around the corner, but that defeats the object of "not leaving the house"

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So yesterday I got a check from our HOA for about $300, with no message inside as to why. I deposited it electronically into our savings but was concerned it was a mistake. Today I thought to look at the HOA's online app and found out that the special assessment they'd asked for to repair the wall last year was credited to our account, they've just been taking the HOA fees off the credit (which is why I didn't notice, the HOA fees only come once per quarter and I just hadn't realized I haven't been billed in a while. I guess this means our front brick fence is going to continue to be shit. I feel sorry for the people who are right up against that wall, they had it torn down at least 6 months ago and now there's no possibility of them getting backyard privacy again any time soon. I'm glad we aren't near that wall.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

Same thing happened to me, recently. I got a notification that the package was "handed to resident" and seeing as how I'd been in all day knew that was false

Hope whoever took the package enjoys that box of 150 assorted nails

I used the refund money to buy a much bigger box from the timber supply place around the corner, but that defeats the object of "not leaving the house"

Maybe it was the timber supply place around the corner what stole your nails? The Perfect Crime.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So apparently you're supposed to flush out your tankless water heater every year with white vinegar?

Fortunately it's only been a year and a half, but no one told me this when I had it installed.

I'm hoping I can use the pump on my wet vac to pump the vinegar through it, but I'm not sure it's heavy duty enough to run for that long. (45 minutes)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The kids next door have rung my video doorbell and run away twice today. I can't tell if this is the dumbest prank ever, since I can clearly see them on the video capture, or the most brilliant, since they have discovered the ability to hassle me at work from halfway across town.

It will be the dumbest when you send the video to their parents.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Posted this earlier in the job thread because I forgot about the home thread-
    Weaver wrote: »
    My storage unit in our parking garage got busted into last night. Took one of the two large storage containers I had put in there. Problem is, I don't remember exactly what was in there so now we get to dig through everything and figure out what's missing that was valuable enough to keep instead of throwing out.

There's been other stuff, plus our unit is ground level with most of our windows being behind shrubs or trees that offer concealment, the fact that we moved here specifically to get away from being in the core of the city where our building was constantly being broken in to, mailboxes forced, etc.

Just bought a 4" barrel .38 special.

edit: they broke through a heavy steel exterior door, broke the latch to a maintenance storage facility that had some spare keys stored in it, were able to access my storage unit with a key, forced other storage units with heavy prybar use(I went down and saw the damage), knocked out multiple windows on the property managers car in the garage and sacked everything she had in her car.

Weaver on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Just bought a 4" barrel .38 special.

Whayougondowithat?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Whip up a quick quiche, I assume.

Be responsible with it, equip a lock on it, tuck it away.

I am putting together a fishing trip up in the mountains come spring where it might come in handy re: scaring off coyotes but yeah I'm not suddenly a gun fetishist or anything.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So apparently you're supposed to flush out your tankless water heater every year with white vinegar?

Fortunately it's only been a year and a half, but no one told me this when I had it installed.

I'm hoping I can use the pump on my wet vac to pump the vinegar through it, but I'm not sure it's heavy duty enough to run for that long. (45 minutes)

They do require regular maintenance of that sort yeah, especially if you live in an area with hard water. It may be worth investing in a submersible pump for the task.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Heating system has been serviced, ducting repaired and now finally cleaned. Using the system for the first time in 6 years and it's purring like a kitten and the house is warming up nicely. Just in time too as I only have about a week or two of firewood left!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Heating system has been serviced, ducting repaired and now finally cleaned. Using the system for the first time in 6 years and it's purring like a kitten and the house is warming up nicely. Just in time too as I only have about a week or two of firewood left!

Did you see much value in the cleaning? I've been meaning to have someone come by to do mine, but it feels like one of those things that can just wait. Until, you know, it can't...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Did you see much value in the cleaning? I've been meaning to have someone come by to do mine, but it feels like one of those things that can just wait. Until, you know, it can't...

So for my situation, yes. The heating system is about 30 years old and from what the techs can tell for the last couple years a couple of the ducts have been detached from the main splitter, which allowed mice to get in. I ended up with a couple ducts full of insulation, and a bit of mouse waste and dirt in some others. Plus the return was completely caked in dust. I had that fixed and then these guys were able to get everything completely clean, so yea it was really good to have it done.

Even they only recommend having it done every 5 years or so though. They did say that it should be done right after a house is built though because shitty contractors will use the ducts as a trash can and a place to clean the nozzles of their spray guns. They've said they've found drywall splatter and dust all the way through a heating system that was brand new.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I can confirm their comments about workers using the ductwork.

Found a whole bunch of drywall chunks and other debris, including pieces of a light bulb in one vent.

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I can confirm their comments about workers using the ductwork.

Found a whole bunch of drywall chunks and other debris, including pieces of a light bulb in one vent.

So in a reno, that's just shitty. Like, really shitty and lazy. In new construction it's fairly common to have the holes cut in the floor and not have the ducts hooked up yet (for that type of HVAC anyway). People just sweep stuff into them. Not the end of the world to sweep sawdust down into a crawlspace, shitty-ness increases depending on what other garbage you decide to shove down them.
    Of course then the ducts actually get hooked up, and people still shove garbage into them because they don't know or don't care.

Drywallers are the worst.

Disclaimer: I used to install various electrical and other stuff that has outlets. If you've ever wondered why some outlet plates are bigger, especially for stuff built durring the housing boom, it's because drywallers lost the ability to measure and cut a reasonable sized hole instead of say, guessing where the outlet was and punching a hole. So we had to get bigger plates to cover up their sloppy job. My opion re: dywallers may be biased.

Thro on
    Thro wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I used to install various electrical and other stuff that has outlets. If you've ever wondered why some outlet plates are bigger, especially for stuff built durring the housing boom, it's because drywallers lost the ability to measure and cut a reasonable sized hole instead of say, guessing where the outlet was and punching a hole. So we had to get bigger plates to cover up their sloppy job. My opion re: dywallers may be biased.

Dumb and dumber that did my bathroom did the same thing when it came to punching holes for the light switch and fan isolator switch. They just grabbed a jab saw and cut out a rhombus and said "that's about the size of a switch." Turns out it was about 50mm too large on each size so the dry-liner box I've got in there now is supported mostly by scrim tape.

It's not a hard thing to do. You flip the dry-liner box over, draw a pencil line around the back, cut the hole and poke the box through. In saving themselves a couple of seconds they cost me about half an hour of a plasterer's time in making it so that the box didn't just fall into the stud wall.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In the townhouse I rented a few years back, someone swept crayons and yarn into their ducts and completely clogged it up with essentially garbage. That was fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Guys

cez4jm82hcrp.png

I own a thing now

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Turn the living room into a VR setup!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's a great looking space! Congrats!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The finish on the cabinets is lovely.

The VR goes upstairs in my office. My dad took a video to send to my extended family, I'll see if I can get that posted here.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hvac guy came to look at my 2 month old broken heater this morning. thinks it was the inducer motor was installed wrong so replaced some stuff and gonna hope for the best. at least it was free.

it's hot af today so won't be able to test for a couple more days though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    @Shadowfire Finished pornography

zkjIUoX.jpg

Needs some arts. Amazing wire job though. Damn.

This discussion has been closed.