As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah as far as I'm concerned, a documentary about an upcoming release doesn't really have much value beyond marketing because there's no chance to reflect on the game's cultural context or impact, which is a huge part of what a good documentary is about. Like, obviously he would be safe in assuming that Fallout 76 would have some sort of impact on the industry just because it's a huge game from a huge developer, but by not waiting to see what that actually was so that he could cover that along with the actual development, he's kinda robbed the doc of a huge portion of its potential value.

I would much rather him done the interviews and all during development, but then sit on it for at least a few months so he could also include the release and reactions. By not doing that, he made it not really anything more than a fluff piece. I do like Supergiant, but I'm not a fan of this doc format at all.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    DayZ
    I don't really mind it so much

being able to peer inside the current development process, especially for a neat and very successful indie studio, sounds absolutely fascinating to me and you can't really do that after the game has finished development

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Yeah i think documenting development is a worthwhile endeavor for historic preservation on it's own

Now the actual tone of the piece may well just be marketing, but i don't think that's unavoidable just because of the time frame they're recording

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    The behind the scenes docs that Double Fine did for Broken Age are interesting from the perspective of how a game gets made, all the different people in the mix, it's a pretty good look at what goes into a game getting made in general.
    But that's not really what NoClip has done so far, the stuff about Fallout76 was much more in the vein of check out this stuff from FO76 and where'd you get your ideas for it. It's a different angle, and one that tends to get covered already by a games' normal press cycle with interviews and in depth looks.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The fact that the 2PP doc for Broken Age, despite actually literally being promotional material insofar as it was a Kickstarter stretch goal, feels more like a documentary than the Fallout 76 piece says a lot to me

And I think a significant part of that is the way that the Broken Age doc also covered their difficulties in production in a meaningful way. Hell, a lot of people thought the game was in legitimate risk of being completed because of that documentary series.

I love Danny O"Dwyer, he is a wildly entertaining individual and he was always good on Gamespot and Giant Bomb. But by comparison, Noclip feels like a promotional featurette that might come packaged with the game a la DVD special features

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Noclip does seem to vary wildly in quality

even within the same documentary

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Yeah as far as I'm concerned, a documentary about an upcoming release doesn't really have much value beyond marketing because there's no chance to reflect on the game's cultural context or impact, which is a huge part of what a good documentary is about. Like, obviously he would be safe in assuming that Fallout 76 would have some sort of impact on the industry just because it's a huge game from a huge developer, but by not waiting to see what that actually was so that he could cover that along with the actual development, he's kinda robbed the doc of a huge portion of its potential value.

I would much rather him done the interviews and all during development, but then sit on it for at least a few months so he could also include the release and reactions. By not doing that, he made it not really anything more than a fluff piece. I do like Supergiant, but I'm not a fan of this doc format at all.

Given Danny was perfectly fine with how 76 turned out, I doubt he would have produced what you would have wanted, even if he had waited until after launch.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's not about wanting a teardown of the game, and if that's what you took from it I think we might just be on different pages entirely

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DayZ

I don't think Danny has ever engaged with the topics of his "docs" in any meaningful way. They've always felt like puff pieces, whether they're about historical or current topics/games

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think a followup on Bethesda would be quite interesting, but I don't think you can do it properly until at least after the dust has settled on their next big in-house game. Like post Elder Scrolls 6, or whatever number they're on.
    And then recapping what went wrong with 76 (even if you generally like the game there's clearly a story about what went wrong in general) and what lasting effect it had on the company (if any). But you're got get a bit of distance from it to properly view it.

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I wonder how Fallout 76 got approved, it's done nothing except damage to both the Fallout and Bethesda Game Studios' brands and someone should have probably seen this coming

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I wonder how Fallout 76 got approved, it's done nothing except damage to both the Fallout and Bethesda Game Studios' brands and someone should have probably seen this coming

"An online survival game with microtransactions? It is a license to print money!"

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

"An online survival game with microtransactions? It is a license to print money!"

Add in that they knew it'd be a couple more years before they had a big release, and that these rust-style survival games were fairly popular, and it seems like an easy win.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited December 2018
    Star Citizen
    I've said this before, but Bethesda had an entire multiplayer studio that they had to do something with. Giving them an existing big ip to develop something in a popular multiplayer genre makes sense on paper.

Undead Scottsman on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    There’s a LOT to keep track of in Cook Serve Delicious 2

But I love the feel of it, I’m digging it big time

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Could someone tell me what the isometric Fallout lookalike is called that is coming out/just came out? Could've sworn I read about it on the forum.somewhere but I can't remember where.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    wasteland 2 maybe? but that came out like 2 years ago fake edit: more like 4 years ago augh come back years

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    wasteland 3 is en route at some point

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what the isometric Fallout lookalike is called that is coming out/just came out? Could've sworn I read about it on the forum.somewhere but I can't remember where.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552620/ATOM_RPG_Postapocalyptic_indie_game/

This maybe?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    wasteland 2 maybe? but that came out like 2 years ago fake edit: more like 4 years ago augh come back years
    Well, Wasteland 3 is coming out at the end of next year

Richard wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552620/ATOM_RPG_Postapocalyptic_indie_game/

This maybe?

I think this was it! Thank you.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

That whole thing just keeps getting worse too. Turns out a recent patch nerfed XP gain,player damage, and buffed enemy damage.

And now lootboxes (called vault tech lunch boxes) have shown up in upcoming patch change logs that include things like XP doublers, buffs, and damage boosts.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Minor quibble with CSD2: I HATE that your orders for items in holding stations are randomized and that you essentially have to “reshuffle” them to get what you want

I’m hoping there’s some item or ability you get that negates this

DayZ
    man, i am really bummed out at how much Below is just not Doing It for me

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Below's development cycle, or more specifically the lack of preview coverage, made me really worried about it

I'm bummed people don't seem to be digging it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

"And make sure it launches Holiday 2018, regardless of how unfinished it is!"

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Below's development cycle, or more specifically the lack of preview coverage, made me really worried about it

I can't help thinking that if Below came out two years ago people would be more into it.

DayZ
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I can't help thinking that if Below came out two years ago people would be more into it.

It feels exactly like a game that came out two-three years ago.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    That makes me sad. I might refund it.

I already bought and installed it...but I’m afraid to play it and be disappointed and the talk about the game isn’t encouraging. I’m gonna keep it no matter what cause I want Capy to have my money, but I guess I built this up a lot to myself while waiting for it, sure it would be good. It was fine when I played it at PAX but my impression was I didn’t have enough time with it to find the key story stuff, now it seems like people are saying they’ve been playing for a while and the key stuff may just not be there?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    for my part I'm not into Below because every goddamn thing came out over the last month and I haven't gotten to it yet

Star Citizen
    Below feels like a Last Guardian situation where the fact it was in development for so long boosted the anticipation. I probably would have forgotten about that game had it released a few years after announcement, but over five years later and it became that promising game that's been in development forever but is finally coming out!

I could swear I heard rumblings ages ago that at some point when it was going to release in Summer 2016 they put all the pieces together and then suddenly realized it wasn't actually fun to play.

I can no longer even vaguely remember where I heard that though, so it might be totally a fever dream, but they then delayed it for a little over two years which sounds like they sort of developed Below again.

Star Citizen
    Also, surprising noone. Mobius Games announced that Outer Wilds is slipping to 2019.

Taking a page from the Half-Life 2 delay, they announced this Monday :razz:

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Below feels like a Last Guardian situation where the fact it was in development for so long boosted the anticipation. I probably would have forgotten about that game had it released a few years after announcement, but over five years later and it became that promising game that's been in development forever but is finally coming out!

last guardian was totally amazing though so positive comparison!

BahamutZERO.gif
    Star Citizen
    Went through my old list of game ideas, and found this one I do not remember in the slightest.
    Puzzle Game; repair the ship

You play a character who walks around a deralict ship, doing minigames and minipuzzles to fix various parts of the ship. There’s an alien chasing you; and you’re given opportunities to kill it. If you let it kill you it turns out it just wants a hug and you make friend with it. Game ends with a slideshow showing you two hanging out, falling in love, getting married, having horrible abomination kids and growing old together.

...yeah, I have no explanation on this one. It's like it was written by a different person.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Whoever wrote it, you should steal that person's idea and make it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Sounds like the plot to Passengers

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Went through my old list of game ideas, and found this one I do not remember in the slightest.
    Puzzle Game; repair the ship

You play a character who walks around a deralict ship, doing minigames and minipuzzles to fix various parts of the ship. There’s an alien chasing you; and you’re given opportunities to kill it. If you let it kill you it turns out it just wants a hug and you make friend with it. Game ends with a slideshow showing you two hanging out, falling in love, getting married, having horrible abomination kids and growing old together.

...yeah, I have no explanation on this one. It's like it was written by a different person.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Isn't that just Tokyo Jungle

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.