As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Saw this character while shooting a DJ set.

31112948837_e3e8100dc5_c.jpgDSC_1620 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Some slightly NSFW photos from when I got to go shoot the Blackheart Burlseque

45886187441_f61a81ccd1_c.jpgDSC_0247 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

45162071224_7000ede3fd_c.jpgDSC_0003 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

44069692220_8b4f7c5320_c.jpgDSC_9945 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Has anyone here messed with those colored smoke bomb things? They're a little trendy, but I feel like there is still room to make something interesting/new with them.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Has anyone here messed with those colored smoke bomb things? They're a little trendy, but I feel like there is still room to make something interesting/new with them.

I thought about it but they were kind of expensive for me to just tinker with. They seemed to produce a lot less smoke than what is shown in some of the final images I've seen on Instagram. IE the photographers are cloning smoke around or bringing in from other images to make it look more voluminous

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Been shooting a lot of live music lately.

45465006405_d35614cd83_c.jpgDSC_2417 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46326478832_187e3fc001_c.jpgDSC_2774 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

32505454738_0ce33cd4a8_c.jpgDSC_2862 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46326473642_38846b2ac1_c.jpgDSC_2982 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

32505448888_c1c023e279_c.jpgDSC_3403 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

44560490610_e4eec29d26_c.jpgDSC_3407 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46326460282_2e33cbdbcb_c.jpgDSC_3456 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46326456292_473e1b5838_c.jpgDSC_3584 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

31438134637_12d77ef60d_c.jpgDSC_3802 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Those look really amazing.

I assume those were all pretty low-light situations. But they all look crisp with no blur at all. What's the simplest advice you'd give to a complete novice with a DSLR to snap decent photos in low light? I tried taking some pictures of my kids for this year's holiday card in low light and no matter what I tried they all sucked. (I use a really old Canon Eos Rebel T1i)

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tripod, remote trigger, and the fastest lens you can afford.

@Rothgarr Thanks!

Yeah, basically what @davidsdurions said.

My process is;
    1 - Widest aperture your lens can do (I generally shoot prime lenses so I can get f1.4)
    2 - Longest shutter speed you can get away with (I read once that 1/x where x is the focal length of the lens is as long as you can get hand held.)
    3 - Crank up your ISO to get a decent exposure (I go as high as I have to, but once you get past 1600, you may see some issues)
    4 - Underexpose/expose for highlights (Blown out highlights kill an image, dark shadows can hide noise. Just keep an eye on your histogram)
    5 - Shoot in RAW. The difference is amazing, especially in what you can bring up out of shadows (which you need since you underexposed).
    6 - Spray and pray. At least for live music where things change quickly.

Once I get home I'll make a before/after to fully show how much I underexpose. Hope that helps!!

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Thanks, that really does help.

As old as my camera is, I really need to learn how to access those settings. I only have three lenses and I'm sure the quality isn't great.

The only RAW experience I have is from my DJI drones but I'll check it out on my camera.

Sublimus, I really like the black and white one. Would you mind posting the original color of that one? I'm interested in seeing what that difference looks like.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Here's a couple of concert photos from my kids christmas concert this year, just for the sake of comparison:

9nBu2b3.jpg

b7VyvzI.jpg

In terms of shutter speed, the second one is 1/25th at 300mm equivalent (hand-held); I was in a seat a dozen or so rows back in the audience so had less scope for tripods and needed a longish lens. The in-body image stabilisation on Olympus bodies is pretty decent, so I can get away with a lot more than I could otherwise. That said, the focus is in the wrong place, I tend to leave it on center spot which sometimes is wrong; and as you can see, if the subject is moving, 1/25th is still slow enough to get blur from that.

An example of how far I might underexpose and can bring up with RAW (kind of an extreme example)

photocomp_01.png

And the black and white comp for @CommunistCow

photocomp_02.png

Basically, I found the green light to be gross and flatten the image. This happens sometimes, so I just check to see if it looks cool in black and white first before I delete it.

edited December 2018
    I recently went to an exhibit at the Denver Museum of Contemporary Art and took some photos of this Tara Donovan exhibit. These giant sculptures were made of somewhat regular materials. The silver balls is made of mylar like you would find in mylar balloons. The piece that has the yellowish woman's silhouette is actually just a bunch of copper colored mylar tubes about 3-4 inches long with a window about 20ft behind it. I asked another patron to stand on the other side of the piece between the window and it to capture her silhouette. Then there is the piece that is just made up of a TON of slinkies.

44572953730_aeba7e1708_o.jpg

32517852628_c3215233b5_o.jpg
    Woman's silhouette on the art.

32517851968_d992da14a3_o.jpg

32517852278_d0d18e5ecc_o.jpg

44572953590_fb6a0b1628_o.jpg
    Metal rings on a wall

32517851708_a6e53e7f37_o.jpg

44572953250_91d89df427_o.jpg
    Slinkies

32517851378_48fd6477ca_o.jpg
    Straws

44572953910_bb748e2c5e_o.jpg
    Not Tara Donovan's work ^
    I was playing around with some colored blocks we have in my house.

Edit: I had to shoot all of this stuff hand held in "low light" which meant I had to up the ISO quite a bit and still deal with some motion blur. They wouldn't allow me to use a tripod in the exhibit otherwise I would have solved the situation that way. As it is I just tried to remove as much noise in post.
    I know I don't shoot much these days but I kinda want to replace my 11 year old 5D Mark I with something that has a better ISO range and less noise. I've been eyeing a 6D mark I since they came down to $1k since the mark II came out.

CommunistCow on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Damn @CommunistCow those are some amazing photos of the exhibit, definitely need to find my way down there to see it as well. That copper tubing photo is gorgeous. I would say the noise isn't very bothersome at all (to me at least). Added noise to photos is quite a trend in photography right now anyways.

Really loving the extreme close up of the mylar balls and the symmetry of the last two. Beautiful shots overall man!

@Sublimus dig all those concert shots, really love the fan shot from the magic sword show especially though. That seems to be most people's expressions at those shows, lots of fun.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If anyone else a:has a bunch of photos on flickr, b:isn't going to pay for the pro flickr subscription, and c:has those photos sorted into albums, then when you do the 'download all my stuff' from flickr, you don't get them back in albums, they're in a huge flat list. So I wrote a little tool that uses the flickr metadata you get to put the photos back into folders for easier storage / re-uploading elsewhere.

https://github.com/djmitchella/flickr-data-folderify if anyone else needs this.

(I'm slowly moving everything over to google photos, because while their free tier is maxed out at 16mp, my camera is just under that anyway so it doesn't make a difference to me.)

edited January 2019
    Cool! Thanks for doing that. I was probably going to end up downloading all my photos at some point. I've been sitting around the 1,000 images limit recently. I've also thought about throwing some stuff on 500px.

In other news I got some Christmas money which made the purchase of a new camera much more reasonable so I bought a Canon 6D Mark II. As expected it has sooooo many whirly-gig gizmos compared to my old 2005 Canon 5D Mark I. I took it out for a test run at Denver Zoo lights and it did pretty damn good for hand held low light shooting.

ex:
    46484331532_f2144dcc6c_o.jpg

Over the break I also spent a fair amount of time watching youtube tutorials on lightroom/photoshop trying to learn some new tricks.
    Playing around with a photo of my kid from earlier this year trying to give it an autumn stylized feel to it:
    g0fdn129tpcc.jpg

This youtube channel has TONS of tutorials. In some of the videos they do a really good job explaining the concepts behind some of the tools in photoshop that I've used for years, but never fully understood.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrvLMUITAImCHMOhX88PYQ

CommunistCow on
    Went to the Denver zoo for the first time and took some pictures of the perty birdies. All the other animals refused to be pretty.

Lets play a game called "caption this bird".
    I'll start: "What you want, hooman!?"
    45908785924_d6ce4b215d_o.jpg

45908785574_4428c89fd2_o.jpg

45908786384_63fe0d445f_o.jpg

edited January 2019
    @CommunistCow That owl is awesome haha

I guess I'm still shooting concerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

32842088468_9f80bcab05_c.jpgDSC_5340 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

39752117843_b0b24ac157_c.jpgDSC_5213 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46664443312_9c2702c549_c.jpgDSC_5089 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46717079921_9eb380b3f6_c.jpgDSC_4931 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

39752133203_dd3f5c5697_c.jpgDSC_4757 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Attempted some landscape recently, but it didn't turn out. Gotta get back out there. I need some more variety than all the dang concerts haha.

[edit] eh, I guess here are these too

32842242088_ced9b3ca59_c.jpgDSC_4094 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

39752287063_e1110ed6e2_c.jpgDSC_4040 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

32842242458_a49259a7f1_c.jpgDSC_4036 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

32842250148_1f5f60270b_c.jpgDSC_4092 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

39752290363_bd8877e98e_c.jpgDSC_4025 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Sublimus on
    Those are some pretty damn cool pinball machine photos. I guess I never thought of that being a great subject to shoot. It just seems like they would be too busy and overwhelming to really have a focal point, but you did a great job overcoming that. I especially like the last one where the reflection covers the top part of the machine and forces the eyes downwards a bit. Great colors too.

@CommunistCow great birb photos, I would say that owl looks as if he's going to plot our demise while we sleep. My good friend just switched from a 5D MKII to a MKIV and he was also quite happy with the age of wifi/gps and all the other hooplah that comes with modern cameras. Interested to see how you're liking the 6D MKII in the months to come, I'm still rockin the OG 6D myself. Trying to decide if I want to stay with canon or try something new with the fuji xt3... absolutely been in love with my XE2 these last couple years.

Also as a side note, I've got my first gallery show on Feb. 1st at Mmm Coffee here in Denver, if you're free stop on by!

@Sublimus Gotta agree with cow, those are some pretty damn appealing pinball machine photos man <3. Those second and third DJ photos are on point as well, perfect capture of color and lighting - not every day you can grab Rembrandt lighting at a concert haha.

Took a trip to steamboat last weekend and am always inspired when I go there. Sometime I may just have to travel there to take photos as I absolutely am in love with the landscape... went telemark skiing while I was there with my 67 yr old aunt and 72 yr old uncle. Badasses, both of them. We skiid for 5 hours and neither of them ever sat down.

46725253512_7f6336f0d3_c.jpgSunsetting by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

46725251102_8f92e324ba_c.jpgSpotted by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

46725244372_3f349c351e_c.jpgUphill by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

45862928995_c9ed275821_c.jpgBack by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

46725257762_6e4fc50f08_c.jpgUntitled by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

46725256892_0b00dfc312_c.jpgCool by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

@Prospicience Gallery show!!! Congrats! Wish I could stop by haha. I need to find some excuse to get to to CO sometime anyhow. If/when that occurs, I will be letting you know.

Niiiice! Being in the First Friday Art Walk sounds pretty awesome.
    I shall try and get out of the house if I can. This whole "having a tiny human" thing makes that rather difficult.

Do you already have what you are going to show picked out?

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Hopefully this is the right post to ask this. I'm a complete novice about photography. We had a trip to the rainforest, so I grabbed an Olympus TG-5 since the humidity and rain were going to be an issue. Overall it worked out well. The macro mode was nice and I ended up using the scenery mode most of the time. The main drawback was the zoom, most wildlife doesn't like to get close haha.

I was wondering about post? I read up on ISO, aperture, and all sorts of other beginner photography stuff before going. Now I'm wondering what would be a good program for a novice like me to try for post? Some of my photo's are overly bright so I figured that would need to be toned down. Along with a program, is there a good guide for what I should be looking to do in post? I know my first mistake was not setting the camera to save in RAW.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    @Sublimus Thanks man! Please do let me know if you decide to come this way, would be happy to gallivant around Colorado with ya.

@CommunistCow Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about it but also understand that having a tiny human can make that kind of trek difficult haha. I do have my stuff already picked out and at the printers being printed right now - got one back and it looks really good so far. It's all the Reflection stuff I've been posting - a lot of it I haven't posted here but the one of the flatirons and a few of the building reflections I've posted are going to be part of it.

@Trajan45 got myself a TG5 and haven't used it in a minute, but both of those modes are pretty amazing - the TG5 gets pretty noisy when you go above 400 or 800 ISO though, so be careful about that in the future. Looks like you can still locate the old versions of Photoshop (CS2) - Gimp is also an old "go to" if you want a free editing program.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    been a slow year for photography... i finally got two rolls processed today. i have another one i'm going to test my once-used chems on at some point, but i'm not wholly optimistic.

these are on some old portra 160:

45931401625_b311996162_b.jpg
    The Motorburra Diaries by jeremy o., on Flickr

45931402385_95eee42c97_b.jpg
    The Jawa by jeremy o., on Flickr

45931401125_f2d0b10e69_b.jpg
    King's Red by jeremy o., on Flickr

we also lost an SD card with a bunch of digital photos from a family camping trip. that stung... but we managed to recover the best ones from the office supply place's web store after we unsuccesfully tried to order prints online (leading to the SD card being hauled around and lost in the first place. figures). really glad they weren't all gone for good:

46846332201_5d6700acb2_b.jpg
    Brotherly Love // Pebbly Beach by jeremy o., on Flickr

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    So this was more of a spray paint / air brush project, but I was super happy with it and took some pictures with my studio lighting. There is a running joke at work about this Box that suddenly showed up one day with a note saying "Don't Open The Box". Many months and hijinks later my team has decided to make downed airplane theme scavenger hunt with The Box. So I turned it into an airplane black box.

original box
    thjcql3x88sc.png

o09kay26y0p0.jpg

6y6advb5qrsb.jpg

Oh man, your version is way better than the original haha! Great product photos too, love the lighting - almost looks like a 3D model, although I think that's partly your paint job and partly the great photography as well. Really looks like an explosion or fire happened by part of the box!

• anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    Cool to see you guys still holding down the photo thread. I've been working on my art for the last few years and haven't picked up my DSLR in about as much time. This thread is a time warp for me. Hope everyone is having fun. 👍

few more from that portra roll:

31912485327_f863f526c8_b.jpg
    Portal to Dining Zone by jeremy o., on Flickr

31912487107_36e78a85e6_b.jpg
    Steam // Sign by jeremy o., on Flickr

46812641732_e12be6d4fe_b.jpg
    Landscape III by jeremy o., on Flickr

i also finally shot a roll of ilford b&w which @Baron Dirigible gifted me. it was literally my last roll of film and i put it off because (evidently) my b&w game is weak. i'm not super happy with the processing but i can defer that responsibility to the photo shop, i guess? maybe i can do something with the negs. or, more likely, they were just exposed poorly.

46228577074_884c6474eb_b.jpg
    Reclaim by jeremy o., on Flickr

32012189057_6e47f1b589_b.jpg
    Grove / She-oaks by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I LOVE those first two photos @bsjezz

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    First attempt at baking. First attempt at food photography. Trying to trick myself into learning how to cook haha.

Photo_001.jpg

• BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    I have had no motivation to shoot for the past few months, but my friend hit me up to ask for help learning to lightpaint cars last week. I am wildly uneducated on the subject and unqualified to teach anyone anything, but we still got together at his detail shop to have a quick crash course/workshop/messing-around session with his daily driver Civic. This was shot using his equipment (Nikons are confusing and scary to me) and edited on his PC in under an hour so there are things I'm not thrilled about, but it was fun to get dragged back into shooting again and it's helped motivate me a bit.
    46381230274_90eec3740a_c.jpg
    HONDA-FINAL-MAYBE_02 by Andrew Edgar, on Flickr

Here are a couple of the other somewhat recent things I've shot that I don't think I posted here.
    33229677918_7ea2a9f1f4_c.jpg
    IMG_1875-Edit-4 by Andrew Edgar, on Flickr

This was sort of a happy accident; I didn't realize the town across the river from us was celebrating homecoming until we got to the top of this parking garage and heard fireworks. Probably would have chose a different location if I had planned it out, but I thought it was kind of cool regardless.
    40140159163_30f797734d_c.jpg
    IMG_1968-Edit2 by Andrew Edgar, on Flickr

edited February 2019
    I had a whole long post written out about everyone's photos and apparently my computer got disconnected from the internet while I was writing it, bummer. BUT HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

@bsjezz agree with @minor incident, really love those first two. On the second one I do wish there was some more ground, but great capture of atmosphere on both.

@Sublimus Great first food photos. You using a window/single light source? That's my favorite way to go unless I have a giant softbox. If I was going to give one critique it would be that the foodstuffs isn't all that sharp, but that could be forum image compression.

@Blakout Man your car photos just keep getting better. Never thought an old civic could look that good haha. Really though, both those last shots are killer. That mustang photo is absolutely gorgeous and the fireworks with the charger is perfect. Try not to be that harsh on yourself, I rarely see lightpainting and car photos done so well - granted I don't seek them out that much anymore. Keep pushing those skills and practicing because it's definitely paying off man.

Oh! Promised I would post my gallery show photos here, so gonna go ahead and do that. Get ready for a mega dump:
    a17tdjmx4mpy.jpg
    Knowledge

jnas63yvgrjq.jpg
    VALIS

g5gr6b64kroc.jpg
    Gateway

zba8nd2o2r1f.jpg
    Expansion

j5ctca5u6f8m.jpg
    Compression

18xnf5h1fu1f.jpg
    Chautauqua

ig4ubuovbnz9.jpg
    YAW Wey

zos0fjco9yud.jpg
    Magnetic

z1o0nw8h88az.jpg
    Traveler

r8di6pek64bn.jpg
    Concealed

2ij90fgslwj8.jpg
    Intersection

odt2s0iippg8.jpg
    Arrival

r1picihp62se.jpg
    Vascularis

ult508sre7su.jpg
    Open Wide

Missing a couple that I'll post later, they're on my home computer which is without a keyboard right now. And for @CommunistCow - some photos of the opening of the show, which apparently i forgot to take many photos of but here are some that others took. Wish I got some when the place was full but oh well! The whole thing was definitely a learning experience.

4g2m69vokj08.jpg
    jizeh2xurjbh.jpg
    cyafmx5rewl2.jpeg
    jtxfp1jomtyw.jpg
    s9em8lr5llzu.jpg
    ddxo0ta4ekqt.jpg

Prospicience on
    @Prospicience Badass!! Congrats on your show! Love the new ones too.

And yeah, it's not as sharp as I want. I was shooting handheld in not super bright light. I'm gonna build an overhead tripod rig 8-) And yeah! Window light for now until I maybe buy some diffusion stuff....

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    @bsjezz

Oh shit. So I found a random image downloaded to my google photos account a couple of weeks ago and liked it. Couldn't remember where it came from, but I was thinking I got it from some wallpaper app, so I set it to my wallpaper. And it's awesome and makes my phone very pretty and moody. The way I like it.

And I just realized it was your foggy trees photo you posted a few weeks ago above.

So, thanks!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited February 2019
    @bsjezz

Oh shit. So I found a random image downloaded to my google photos account a couple of weeks ago and liked it. Couldn't remember where it came from, but I was thinking I got it from some wallpaper app, so I set it to my wallpaper. And it's awesome and makes my phone very pretty and moody. The way I like it.

And I just realized it was your foggy trees photo you posted a few weeks ago above.

So, thanks!

if i weren't so stubborn i'd crop it anyway because i think it'd be much cleaner without the peripheral elements. which is how i assume it'd look on a phone screen

the reason the ground is out of shot btw @Prospicience is that it was taken from a train's so i was quite high up. also, as usual, not prepared with lenses for the right focal length...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited March 2019
    Sublimus wrote: »
    @Prospicience Badass!! Congrats on your show! Love the new ones too.

And yeah, it's not as sharp as I want. I was shooting handheld in not super bright light. I'm gonna build an overhead tripod rig 8-) And yeah! Window light for now until I maybe buy some diffusion stuff....

@Sublimus thanks man appreciate it. Figured that was the case as I've done basically the exact same thing haha.

@bsjezz Ah, well that'll do it. As always just minimal critiques and to be taken with a grain of sand; never know the circumstances someone is shooting in. I imagine people are aware of most critiques, but figure it's good to hear them from time to time. Know I like to hear them.

Prospicience on
    edited March 2019
    Been seeking out birds of prey as I drive around for work. They're everywhere and normally don't let me get anywhere near them but it's fun when I can grab one before it flies off (or as it flies off). Peregrine falcons seem to be starting to take a liking to the city of Denver. Haven't gotten to capture one yet, but hopefully soon. Been seeing a lot of kestrels and even found a lake with a metric shitton of eagles up near Loveland so hopefully I can get some of them as well.

47258205832_d73fb77f72_c.jpgIce Cold by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    I finally became motivated to get my beater/race car/dumb slow wagon put back together. I haven't had a chance for a proper shoot with it yet - I ended up working most of the weekend but I did sneak in a quick shot in front of my office. I'm fortunate to work at a pretty photogenic place I think.

46492626005_764ef947e6_c.jpg

I've gotten into the habit of doing narrow aperture shots with artificial light so it was kinda fun to toss the 50 1.8 on and just shoot wide open, handheld at sunset. I only have a 77mm CPL which doesn't fit the 50 but the windshield reflections were pretty brutal so I just held it in front of the lens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edited March 2019
    Beautiful shot @Blakout !

Took about a week in Seattle. Slowly getting through the photos

47451932881_2ef4bb573f_c.jpg
    DSC_6094 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

40470625673_e2961b928e_c.jpg
    DSC_6767.jpg by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

47452011991_5059a8a5d4_c.jpg
    DSC_6070 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

46728881904_4f4e241992_c.jpg
    DSC_6075 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr