As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Oh, Overcooked 2 is apparently getting a free Christmas update with new kitchens and recipes, including hot chocolate!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Remember that with the thousands people that are happy with the dpad (including me), there's always a vocal minority that will make you think otherwise. That isn't to disparage the vocal people but to keep in mind that if it was a significant problem they would have recalled or stopped producing it. If I wasn't in here I would have thought it was the market's best controller.

it's very bad for fighting games or anything that requires precision d-pad movement. it's at least fixable in several ways if you don't mind taking upon yourself to clean it up. it's just really weird that Nintendo, with basically a lock on a bulletproof d-pad design over the history of their consoles put out one with issues.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    There was a game coming out for Steam/Switch that had a really amazing art style and looked like a cross between Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley but I can't for the life of me find it, because Googling that exact sentence leads to an Ouroboros of madness.

Is it maybe Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Its the vocal minority that plays mostly 2D games. None of the 1st party Nintendo games released so far are d-pad focused, except for the Online NES games. And they are happy to sell you NES controllers to actually play those with comfort and precision.

Like you got a pro controller so you might as well try it out. The d-pad is still more comfortable than the joy-cons, if you don't get hit with errant inputs. You might be able to fix those with the tape mod. But if a d-pad is mainly what you are after, there are better options for less money, and I'd consider returning if you can.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Its the vocal minority that plays mostly 2D games. None of the 1st party Nintendo games released so far are d-pad focused, except for the Online NES games. And they are happy to sell you NES controllers to actually play those with comfort and precision.

Like you got a pro controller so you might as well try it out. The d-pad is still more comfortable than the joy-cons, if you don't get hit with errant inputs. You might be able to fix those with the tape mod. But if a d-pad is mainly what you are after, there are better options for less money, and I'd consider returning if you can.

I often prefer d-pad movement for games, and own and love many 2D games. I forget offhand which of the following Switch games allow d-pad movement but I have games like Stardew Valley, Night in the Woods, Blossom Tales, Mercenary Kings, Worms WMD, Ultimate Chicken Horse, the NES app, and most recently Sega Ages Phantasy Star and the Genesis collection.

I play pretty much exclusively with the Switch docked with the pro controller and it's all perfectly fine.

So yeah, I'm the vocal minority that plays mostly 2D games. Pro controller is great. I feel zero need to look into any mods of any kind.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Oh, Overcooked 2 is apparently getting a free Christmas update with new kitchens and recipes, including hot chocolate!

I just played through it with a friend. It was good but very short. But I always just want more, more, more OC2, so nothing will satisfy me.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    The Pro is damn solid. I don't feel the need to go back to the Joy Cons for now.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    There was a game coming out for Steam/Switch that had a really amazing art style and looked like a cross between Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley but I can't for the life of me find it, because Googling that exact sentence leads to an Ouroboros of madness.

Cute little animals farm and run a shop in a lovely 3D setting? That's Garden Paws. It's out early access (but very playable) on Steam but isn't due for the Switch until December 2019.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    i wonder if we'll see a switch xmass sale

If you're talking about the eshop, there's a sale on all 3 Nintendo systems right now, with more titles due to be added.

Disclaimer: I'm in Ireland, so it's the euro eshop I'm talking about. I'd be very surprised if it's not worldwide.

Check your local Nintendo website, as there should be listings there. 3ds and Wii U have a banner on their shops, but on Switch they are just listed in the sales section.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

If you're talking about the eshop, there's a sale on all 3 Nintendo systems right now, with more titles due to be added.

Disclaimer: I'm in Ireland, so it's the euro eshop I'm talking about. I'd be very surprised if it's not worldwide.

Check your local Nintendo website, as there should be listings there. 3ds and Wii U have a banner on their shops, but on Switch they are just listed in the sales section.

I feel Nintendo will do one after Xmas like they have done for the last couple of years but then again I have no idea

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    The Pro is damn solid. I don't feel the need to go back to the Joy Cons for now.

So I take it the Pro controller doesn't have the Joy Con's drifting problems?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

My armchair hypothesis is that the design of the joy con sticks makes them more susceptible to dirt and grime. It's easier to just see for yourself, but the thumb stick just has a small rubber cap covering its mechanics, and you can flip it up with just a toothpick. The pro controller is a more standard stick where that "cap" is instead a solid piece of plastic that moves with the stick, and all that covers the mechanics, making it much harder for anything to get inside. So yeah, it shouldn't have that problem because it's like any other stick.

When my joy con was starting to stick, it was really easy to see what was happening via the calibration tool. I'd flick it left, the stick would return to center, but the software would still register it as tilting left before slowly coming back, like some piece of dirt or sticky grime was still pressing the internal mechanics. And after I took some canned air and a qtip with rubbing alcohol to it, I haven't had any problems.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

I keeping an eye on the shop, but it's almost all indie or shovelware stuff on sale right now. I mean the actually awesome heavy hitters

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wonder if Stardew Valley will go on sale

I'm sure it will on steam, but I'd like to play it on my big screen

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm sure there will be a "big" Christmas or year end sale in the eshop.

"Save 2% on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Aw hell, you know what? It's the holidays, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 3% off!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It's frustrating to people who want discounts but Christmas is the absolute worst time to put games like Mario Kart on a deep sale. Tons of people just got the system, they don't have anything to play on it, and they are looking directly at the Nintendo console staples. They will pay full price for Mario Kart and Nintendo knows it. I don't blame them at all.

What they should do is wait 3 months and then roll out the sales, because then people will be done with their first game or two and if they didn't buy Mario Kart or Zelda in their first batch, they will suddenly hear about the sale and go "ooh there's my next game."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, Nintendo also thinks any time is the worst time to put their games on a deep sale :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capcom Beat 'em Up needs to go sale.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm usually pretty okay with the main-line Nintendo stuff going on sale. Usually means that we're not going to get micro-transactions crammed into every game. Even if it'd be easy to.

Like, hell, could you imagine if Activision or EA was running Splatoon? We'd be up to our eyeballs in cash-only paid outfits or OP weapons.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm usually pretty okay with the main-line Nintendo stuff going on sale. Usually means that we're not going to get micro-transactions crammed into every game. Even if it'd be easy to.

Like, hell, could you imagine if Activision or EA was running Splatoon? We'd be up to our eyeballs in cash-only paid outfits or OP weapons.

"Woomy" roughly translates to "pride and accomplishment".

• Options
    Heads up on a sale, the Jackbox games are awesome for parties and gatherings and we got both Christmas and New Years coming up.

Jackbox Party Pack 4 is on sale for $15 and Party Pack 5 is on sale for $20 (each one is $10 off).

It's hard to say which one is better, they both have awesome games and at least one stinker. Highlights of pack 4 are Fibbage 3 (similar to Balderdash, come up with a convincing lie) and Survive the Internet. Fibbage 3 also includes an alternate game mode that involves the players themselves, sort of an icebreaker or Newlywed game -- "the strangest place Jim has ever slept" and everyone writes down what they think will be Jim's answer, plus Jim's actual answer, and then everyone needs to guess the correct one.

Highlights of pack 5 are You Don't Know Jack (classic irreverent trivia), and Split the Room, a party game take on the Will-You-Press-The-Button site concept.

All games are fully played on phones and tablets with web browsers, so everyone has a controller. They also have parental control settings so you can turn off inappropriate content.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's hard to say which one is better, they both have awesome games and at least one stinker. Highlights of pack 4 are Fibbage 3 (similar to Balderdash, come up with a convincing lie) and Survive the Internet. Fibbage 3 also includes an alternate game mode that involves the players themselves, sort of an icebreaker or Newlywed game -- "the strangest place Jim has ever slept" and everyone writes down what they think will be Jim's answer, plus Jim's actual answer, and then everyone needs to guess the correct one.

These types of questions always make me out to be some sort of boring person (hint: it's true!) because I'd say: "On the couch" or something.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    urahonky wrote: »

These types of questions always make me out to be some sort of boring person (hint: it's true!) because I'd say: "On the couch" or something.

That is totally ok because the important thing is to have fun with the game.

Something you might write when you're making up an answer for someone else is "I've never slept in a strange place, I'm boring" because the use of first person helps sell your answer as the right one, even though it's a filthy lie.

u8oPx9o.png?1

One of the questions for me was "what would you get in the guiness book of world records for" and several people wrote "video games." The actual answer I wrote was "whistling the fastest after eating crackers" because it is true! I...won a contest once.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

That is totally ok because the important thing is to have fun with the game.

Something you might write when you're making up an answer for someone else is "I've never slept in a strange place, I'm boring" because the use of first person helps sell your answer as the right one, even though it's a filthy lie.

u8oPx9o.png?1

One of the questions for me was "what would you get in the guiness book of world records for" and several people wrote "video games." The actual answer I wrote was "whistling the fastest after eating crackers" because it is true! I...won a contest once.

I did not know we had an Olympian in our midst.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Best Buy had most of the switch staples on (relatively) deep discount last week.

The eshop doesn’t even have real sales on good indies, so don’t hold your breath waiting for a sale on a first party game.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Gris is on a slight discount right now also.

• Options
    Best Buy had most of the switch staples on (relatively) deep discount last week.

The eshop doesn’t even have real sales on good indies, so don’t hold your breath waiting for a sale on a first party game.

I would disagree with that. I've gotten some 25-50% off sales on a number of games. There are some good sales on good indies right now even. But it's tougher to keep an eye on it without using a third party site to email you reminders.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    I too have played mostly 2D eshop games this year, and I do have issue with the pro controller’s dpad. It sometimes busts out a diagonal instead of the direction I’m going for. Not always but enough for me to use my 8bitdo Pad for the dozen or so platformers I’ve spent time with. I’ve played games for 30 years, and I prefer dpad control for 2D movement, and I’ve never had this issue with any Nintendo dpad until this one. I’d still recommend the Pro 100% though. It’s still The best option for everything except furious precision dpad action.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    First 15 minutes of Onimusha: Warlords on Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59u_Ev4Yg8Y

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Not in the slightest. It has a good heft too. In Splatoon it takes a while to get used to because the analog sticks are more towards the center of the pad, but in Smash it's just about right.

With my Cons (launch unit), drifting wasn't obvious in games like Splatoon and Mario Kart when you were making rapid movements constantly, but for stuff like Odyssey and Zelda (to a lesser extent) it got nasty. I died way too much in Odyssey because Mario would slowly walk over an edge I didn't intend to move over.

Pro is a solid piece of kit and it lasts for hours battery wise. I just leave my Cons on the system these days.

PMAvers wrote: »

Honestly, Splatoon is almost the perfect game for micro-transactions and free-to-play stuff. I'm glad Nintendo has some scruples (considering they ARE in mobile games after all) about that sort of model, and hopefully that holds. It probably will since the wheels are starting to come off the whole lootbox/micro-transaction model these days.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Regarding eshop sales: I had Zelda, Mario Kart + Odyssey + Rabbids, and Splatoon 2 on cartridge, then bought the digital versions on sale, all at 25% off.

There was a sale during E3, black Friday and some other occasions this year. The big games DO get price cuts.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I need Hollow Knight to go on sale

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I need Hollow Knight to go on sale

It's worth it at full price. It is a mountain of content.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Donut County is out on Switch today. The only valid reasons not to buy it are 1) you don't have $13 to spare, 2) you already bought it for another platform, or 3) you hate joy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I looked up its reviews and they were mediocre. They said it was fun but utterly devoid of challenge and way too short. So I don't know if I'll be getting it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I looked up its reviews and they were mediocre. They said it was fun but utterly devoid of challenge and way too short. So I don't know if I'll be getting it.

You don't go into Donut County looking for a challenge, you go into Donut County looking to have the pants charmed off you.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I actually just got Donut County during the GOG sale.

I was... well not underwhelmed. Perhaps merely whelmed. I beat it in a single sitting, about an hour, maybe 90 minutes. It has cute art. A cute story. It's Katamari inspiration is obvious. But each level goes so quickly. After a few they begin to have a gimmick. Seriously. The back half of the game has a gimmick per level.

I guess if it's any indication, I have zero regret accidentally buying this on PC instead of Switch. Because after having beaten it, I'll never touch it again.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Gris is on a slight discount right now also.

sale must have been quick because it's back to normal already

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You don't go into Donut County looking for a challenge, you go into Donut County looking to have the pants charmed off you.

Which will be great when it's on sale for $5, not $13.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's no shortage of charming games with shallow and/or unsatisfying gameplay.