Breathtaking [jobs]

• minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    So my branch is just one of many businesses that rent space in a large building.

Bad news: Tomorrow, the owners of the building are inviting everyone who works in it to come up to the whatever floor they're on and enjoy a free lunch buffet. Going to miss out because I'll be home.

Good news: I'll be home.

Don't worry about it. Free lunch buffets always come with a pitch for buying into a timeshare.

FUN SIDE STORY: One time on vacation with the family, we were doing a boat tour thing. It was like this big tour boat they took around Miami and showed you the various nearby islands, landmarks on the waterfront, etc. Probably 50 people on the boat, with a tour guide and all that. They randomly drew two people were randomly drawn as a sort of "door prize". My sister-in-law was one of the two people drawn for the mystery prize. They said she'd get her prize package when we got back to land.

So, after the tour ends, we get back to the dock and they take her and the other person who "won" into their little office and we wait around outside.

For an hour.

She eventually comes out with a pen and a spiral notebook with the tour company's logo and says that was the prize pack, but they made her sit through an hour-long sales pitch for a Miami timeshare that their parent company runs.

Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    DarkPrimuskimeMoridin889BucketmanBobblestopgapElvenshaeSkeithIloveslimesCalicaRoyceSraphim
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My storage unit in our parking garage got busted into last night. Took one of the two large storage containers I had put in there. Problem is, I don't remember exactly what was in there so now we get to dig through everything and figure out what's missing that was valuable enough to keep instead of throwing out.

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I'm just gonna put this here but

So my identity got stolen right, and they used my debit card for some shit

Well even after the fraud claim went through I still have about a $2,000 overdraft on my account.

So I get to spend Christmas on the phone with the bank trying to figure everything out, I guess.

And I still haven't gotten a new debit card so : |
    EDIT: Some of the most annoying things about this is that I had everything with a subscription fee on that card, so now all of my online services are slowly getting nixed one after another. Can't play online on the switch. Won't be able to watch Netflix or Crunchyroll soon. WoW sub got canceled.

Just peachy all around.

Don't know what to say other than I'm sorry and that I hope everything returns back to normal for you as soon as possible.

It is incredibly frustrating that I cannot play Smash online until this gets resolved.

Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Years ago, the library I was working for had a travelling Library Champion trophy. If you won it, you kept it for a week, uploaded a photo of yourself holding it, and then chose a new champion with a nice post explaining why you picked them. Happily, one of the top results for my name is this:

4r7312n2759f.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    sarukunKaplarGnizmoLoisLaneminor incidentchrishallett83Lindsay Lohan3clipseTonkkaDrZiplockbowenchromdomDisruptedCapitalistCommander ZoomTofystedethToxFishmankimeironsizideTynnanN1tSt4lkerMatevSorceBucketmanLiiyaVirgil_Leads_YougodmodeJaysonFourDoctorArchSolarSnicketysnickSporkAndrewLaOsBobbleL Ron Howardstopgapwebguy20ElvenshaeSkeithIloveslimesMrGrimoireSlacker71CalicapookalonelyahavaRoyceSraphim
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Work is doing something very unusual now: policing the parking lot for illegally parked cars. Cars parked in the handicap spots when they don't belong, cars parking on the No Parking end caps, cars parking in more than one spot, cars parking in the motorcycle parking, etc.

Right now they're getting copies of the memorandum that was sent out, reminding people to not be an asshole when parking, attached to their windshields. They got lucky, because the warden was gung-ho to have them all towed at owner's expense but was persuaded to back down for the moment because towing people's cars the week before Christmas is horrible optics. Come New Year though? Game on.

chromdomDarkPrimusMatevSorceL Ron Howardstopgapwebguy20ElvenshaeSkeithLoisLaneRoyceSraphim
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I switch to Monday through Friday this week. I have an adult schedule again for the first time in I don't know how many years.

Very excited to be a normal again!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
    Drake ChambersNaphtaliDrZiplockchromdomASimPersonSorceZonugalRankenphilegodmodeBucketmanLaOsTofystedethL Ron HowardAustinP0027stopgapElvenshaeSkeithIloveslimesSlacker71CalicaLoisLanelonelyahavaRoyceSraphim
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I switch to Monday through Friday this week. I have an adult schedule again for the first time in I don't know how many years.

Very excited to be a normal again!

Oh no, oh god. I'm so sorry to have to break it to you, I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but someone's gotta do it so it may as well be me.

Ever since the very first time you posted here, it has been impossible for you to ever be a "normal" again. None of us can.

JedocFishmanSleepMatevBlackhawk1313BobbleL Ron Howardwebguy20TonkkaSkeithLoisLaneRoyceSraphim
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I know Amex has a policy for social media where you can talk about where you work but absolutely cannot talk about things that haven't been announced and can't answer questions for people and have to leave it to the social media dept.

I heard of someone getting fired because they posted on twitter about a celebrity they talked to and posted their name. That person got fired that same day.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    THIS IS NOT A DRILL! I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

My clinic had a flu test come up positive.

FLU SEASON IS HERE! ABANDON ALL HOPE! IT IS TOO LATE FOR REPENTANCE! EVERYBODY PANIC!

(Or like, get your flu shot if you haven't yet.)

bowenTofystedethTynnanL Ron HowardTonkkaRoyceSraphim
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Job thread, everything is on fire.

Hopefully it'll be ok, but we're having to fix a lot of design and designer directed decisions 48h before delivery.

It's been super fun.

RadiationToxtynicSleepTynnanMatevSorceJaysonFourSolarBobbleL Ron HowardstopgapKetBraDevoutlyApatheticwebguy20ElvenshaeTonkkaSkeithCalicaRoyceSraphim
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Considering the stories you've been telling I wouldn't be surprised if it was all literally on fire but you still only had 48 hrs until the deadline.

Commander ZoomRadiationToxN1tSt4lkerSorceZonugalMoridin889godmodeLabelbowenLaOsBobbleL Ron Howardwebguy20ElvenshaeSkeithLoisLane
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Hopefully it'll be ok, but we're having to fix a lot of design and designer directed decisions 48h before delivery.

It's been super fun.

Its amazing between old boss and new that there is still a business.
    Has old boss been mostly okay coming on as a sub?

PSN: jfrofl
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Considering the stories you've been telling I wouldn't be surprised if it was all literally on fire but you still only had 48 hrs until the deadline.

The problem is that no matter how bad things are, everything is still in ship-shape. So how can you tell, really?

dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    tynicN1tSt4lkerbowenTofystedethMayabirdElvenshaeSkeithLoisLaneCarpy
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I get anxiety about the weirdest things.

Called out to a 97 year old card holder. She was talking to me for a few minutes and then started talking about how long she has been with us and always paid her balance and then she stopped responding. Not sure if the call dropped or not but I feel concerned.

Edit: Team leader let me call back. Immediately went to voice mail. Phone battery probably ran out of power.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Radiation wrote: »

It's been super fun.

Its amazing between old boss and new that there is still a business.
    Has old boss been mostly okay coming on as a sub?

No, he is the reason things are on fire.

I do accept my own culpability in this, my morale has been so low I'm not finding the energy to perform herculean tasks on a daily basis. Fortunately New Owner has turned a corner after he and I had a very pointed conversation. We've been trying to fix things, we're on the same page, and we're both rather furious.

RadiationElvenshaeTonkkaSkeithlonelyahavaRoyceSraphim
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, if I was a betting man I would have bet the house on "old owner neglected the bare minimum level of responsibility he had as a consultant and fucked something up."

minor incident on
    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    GnizmoMoridin889JaysonFourSorce3clipseLaOsTofystedethBobblestopgapElvenshaeSkeithKadithRoyceSraphim
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    New app sucks bandwith.

Cannot stop patrol to document things like breakins.

Cannot pause app to other tasks like calling boss or the police without loosing crap I've already documented.

In practice, feels like apple maps crossed with the buggiest obsidian product.

Also, the constant uploads to servers mean we cannot change tasks inside parking garages or anywhere with poor sigals

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That sounds... bad.

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    DisruptedCapitalistFlarneN1tSt4lkerTofystedethBucketmanL Ron HowardTynnanstopgapkimechrishallett83sarukunwebguy20ElvenshaeToxMatevMoridin889SkeithCalicaRoyceSraphimironsizide
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular
    So this job interview I tried to turn down twice has rolled around

So of course they are running "at least half an hour" late

They aren't doing themselves any favours here

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Updates on the job front.

Stopgap plan approved: full time folks retained "for now," I'm being transferred on paper (and likely in person later in the year), part time folk have until their contracts run out in may and then canceled. In return, we have 0 money for programming ever again.

On the plus side, we got institutional support for me to reach out to the various units and tell them not to rob my funded classes and projects. That money, at least, will remain spent for what it is supposed to be spent for unless a dean wants to fight with the president's office. Which will happen, but hopefully more projects will remain online than not.

Its something we can work with, at least. Now my job is to manage the zugzwang of our collapse until 2021.

• timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Oh god. The clutter broke in my work outlook and all those emails are leaking into my inbox. Send help!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    RE: Social Media and job hunting

I work for a multinational telco that is completely honest about looking into any public social media you have. If not before an actual interview, then definitely part of a background check as part of a conditional job offer.

I had a chat with someone from HR during work drinks and she was very candid about it.

Long story short, my company as a "insert company name here" ethos and they need to check you're the right fit. The example she gave was, "we do a lot of work with Stonewall, we can't be hiring homophobes".

YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
    What about the people who elect to not participate in social media?

Like, if you do a search for my name you get very little. No Facebook, no Instagram, no nothing. A few articles about my arrest almost 15 years ago, a couple of pieces mentioning me or picturing me interviewing/MC'ing for a radio event, and that's all.

So do I get pushed to the bottom of the pile because HR rep can't figure me out? This is something I've been wondering about for a bit.

NaphtaliSorceInquisitorMadicanBucketmanCommander ZoomDisruptedCapitalistZonugalstopgapkimesarukunToxMatevMoridin889JaysonFourLabelCaedwyrLoisLaneRoyceSraphim
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Oh god. The clutter broke in my work outlook and all those emails are leaking into my inbox. Send help!

I turned clutter off after the fourth time an email from my same domain was put in clutter. I think it's default state is broken.

adytum
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Like, if you do a search for my name you get very little. No Facebook, no Instagram, no nothing. A few articles about my arrest almost 15 years ago, a couple of pieces mentioning me or picturing me interviewing/MC'ing for a radio event, and that's all.

So do I get pushed to the bottom of the pile because HR rep can't figure me out? This is something I've been wondering about for a bit.

Probably. Shitco's HR person would pretty much just huck your resume if you had no social media presence because "you're hiding something".

That company was garbage I can't believe I stayed as long as I did there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    BucketmanDisruptedCapitalist
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have no Facebook, my Twitter isn't linked to my real name, and trying to Google me is going to pull up a billion different people

Fishman
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Googling me pulls up mostly results on a New Orleans jazz trumpetist, NICE TRY COPPERS

ElvenshaeTonkkaKaplarRoyceSraphim
    bowen wrote: »

Probably. Shitco's HR person would pretty much just huck your resume if you had no social media presence because "you're hiding something".

I guess I do have something to hide.

My life, from people whose business it ain't.

Kayne Red RobeAuralynxbowenstopgapGoose!sarukunElvenshaeTonkkamightyjongyoToxMatevMoridin889JaysonFourSorceLabelRoyceSraphimironsizide
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I think there would be significant overlap between companies that care about your social media vacuum and companies that would disqualify for the arrest.

bowenRoyceSraphim
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Lack of searchable social media or internet presence shouldn't matter at most places. I have an incredibly generic name (most common last name in the US and 3rd most common first name, or something like that) that makes me impossible to look up, and it's never affected me that I'm aware of. I've occasionally heard after getting a job about how difficult it was to try to figure out which firstname lastname was actually me, usually with some laughter about how they eventually gave up.

minor incidenttynicRoyceSraphim
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I guess I do have something to hide.

My life, from people whose business it ain't.

Yeah I'm positive it varies place to place but I've heard more HR is using social media. My sister works for a smaller local college's Career Development office and even did a presentation on this a few months ago. Basically their telling college kids to start paying attention to what they post on Twitter/Facebook in order to help future job prospects

SleepRoyceSraphim
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So this job interview I tried to turn down twice has rolled around

So of course they are running "at least half an hour" late

They aren't doing themselves any favours here

Amazing. That was possibly the worst interview I've ever had.

It involved arguing with a grown man about the meaning of the word transparent

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    BucketmanTofystedeth3clipseDisruptedCapitalistBrovid HasselsmofLaOsSporkAndrewBobbleNightDragonbowenL Ron HowardNobodyAngelHedgieminor incidentfurlionstopgapMulysaSemproniusGoose!kimechromdomchrishallett83sarukunDoctorArchElvenshaeTonkkamightyjongyoDrake ChambersToxDarkPrimusMatevMoridin889FishmanSkeithgodmodeJaysonFourtynicSorceCalicaLabelVegemyteMrGrimoirepookaKaplarThat Dave FellaJoolanderRoyceSraphimIloveslimes
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, had the raise discussion with my boss today. In a nutshell I said if I was going to continue to wear two hats next year and they weren't going to hire someone to manage billing full-time that I want more money. Essentially "if you're saving money by stretching me thin, I want a cut."

It went well and basically we'll revisit it once we find out what staffing gets approved for next year.

BucketmankimesarukunElvenshaeToxDarkPrimusMatevMoridin889godmodeJaysonFourSorceCalicaLoisLaneIloveslimes
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think a company would be less concerned about a prospective employee being unfindable than them being easy to find doing something that looks 'bad'. I think they look people up less because they care what you get up to in your free time and more because they want to know if you're putting anything out there that can reflect back on them.

LaOsSleepDisruptedCapitalistBobbleN1tSt4lkerKetarL Ron Howardschussminor incidentfurlionBucketmanAustinP0027Goose!chromdomDoctorArchDrake ChambersToxMatevMoridin889godmodeJaysonFourtynicSorceLoisLane
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    The possibilities are endless on how a shitty company will be shitty. No point in being totally paranoid about all the possibilities. I mean they could ding you because you have no social media. They could ding you because your social media is "too boring." They could find something totally arbitrary that they have a problem with.

I suppose the only two sensible options would be to either have a plain social media presence that offends nobody, or no social media at all.

SleepBucketman
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That sounds... bad.

I'm legitimately at a loss how to report security issues.

#2 in department also put in notice.

So promotion opportunity...after someone pawned the ship's reactor for a plate of avacado toast.

Commander ZoomMatev
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I know Amex has a policy for social media where you can talk about where you work but absolutely cannot talk about things that haven't been announced and can't answer questions for people and have to leave it to the social media dept.

I heard of someone getting fired because they posted on twitter about a celebrity they talked to and posted their name. That person got fired that same day.

They're lucky. In healthcare, that can get you put in jail. (Not a joke - that would be a willful breach of HIPAA, which carries actual jail time.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Sleepbowenminor incidentBucketmanCommander Zoomani_game_bumL Ron HowardToxSkeithMrGrimoireLoisLane
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    First offense is usually a slap on the wrist even if willful thankfully.

You pretty much lose all your accreditations if you're an actual nurse/doctor though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Like we have people saying in this thread "I deleted my Facebook so my Employer can't see I'm left wing" and I think that's pretty awful. I appreciate the dedication we have here to "fuck Nazis" but I don't believe corporate hiring managers are watching out for hard-right Republicans and Tories in case they slip through the net into the company, you know?

Hard disagree, i think if you look at earlier in the conversation we have people advocating for political views to exclude hiring here. I think which party is excluded would just depend on the company. Google and Facebook are known for being very activist in their thinking, and I know of a few larger companies that are very focused on more liberal policies. I personally think, no matter your political views, this issue could affect you.

Edited for speech to text errors.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Most companies don't care if there's no presence as it means you aren't broadcasting bad stuff. That's most of social media investigation - are you publicly aligning yourself with something that's not in the company values? My company is big on inclusion and diversity, for example, so if you're against that they want to filter you out immediately.

BobbleL Ron HowardMoridin889LoisLane
This discussion has been closed.