As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Manafort "Sentenced"

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
The investigation continues. Stay on topic to Mueller's investigation.

Other investigations of Trump have their own separate threads.

Do not speculate about impeachment in this thread until actual articles of impeachment are seriously pursued, at which point it will no longer be speculation, will it?

Here's a mostly updated giant timeline: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/features/russia-timeline/

Recently:

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/29/671939382/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-latest-big-news-in-the-mueller-russia-investigat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/19/michael-flynn-hoped-cooperating-would-keep-him-out-prison-heres-why-he-may-face-five-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c934cc53fa23

ElJeffe on

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Guys I think he might be guilty

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Guys I think he might be guilty

Who?

("Yes.")

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Current reasons members of this administration have claimed crimes are okay:

They didn’t know it was a crime.

The crimes were only technically crimes according to the law.

There are arguably worse crimes that could have been committed.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Individual 1

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Individual 1

Could be anyone

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Individual 1

Could be anyone

I feel there's more to this, and it's set to the tune of "Fairytale of New York".

sig.gif
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Atlantic staff writer.

I believe this is the 'tat' theyre referring to in 'tit for tat.'

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Maybe I'm naive as shit but when the Congress votes to impose sanctions, isn't the Treasury supposed to follow and not act on its own?

Edit - Fun fact, the previous iteration of this thread lasted exactly 100 days.

Henroid on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Atlantic staff writer.

Wait. They did this today?

That is horrible timing, if so.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I mean the whole thing is out in the open at this point, you have to be willfully blind to not see it. Happily, something like 40% of the country is, in fact, willfully blind.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Atlantic staff writer.

Wait. They did this today?

That is horrible timing, if so.

It gets "better":

From Mnuchin's Treasury Dept letter to lift sanctions on Deripaska's firms.
    Note here who is taking over his En+:
    1) VTB Bank. The sanctioned Russian bank for Ukraine conspiracy, linked to Trump Tower Moscow financing.
    2) Glencore. The co-buyer, along with Qatar, of Rosneft.

Jed Shugerman is a law professor at Fordham.

Apparently, someone's annual review didn't go well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited December 2018
    Rosneft. We were talking about that like... yesterday, right? Which one was that, the mob bank Trump owes his shirt to or the oil company with the 19.5% stake being moved around shadily?

Please slow down the ride. I don't want to get off just yet, I just... I just want to know where it's going.

Edit: Maybe a glossary for all this shit so I can look it up when I don't know how angry to be about a thing.

Hevach on
    Hevach wrote: »
    Rosneft. We were talking about that like... yesterday, right? Which one was that, the mob bank Trump owes his shirt to or the oil company with the 19.5% stake being moved around shadily?

Please slow down the ride. I don't want to get off just yet, I just... I just want to know where it's going.

The latter.

The latter.

Thanks. So if I'm understanding right, just these two in particular ones are being de-sanctioned, not everything this guy has fingers in?

i.e. the two that are actually in the way of things Trump has been accused of?

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Also: CLINTON!!!!!11!

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

The latter.

Thanks. So if I'm understanding right, just these two in particular ones are being de-sanctioned, not everything this guy has fingers in?

i.e. the two that are actually in the way of things Trump has been accused of?

As near as I can tell he is still personally sanctioned, but these two companies are being de-sanctioned because he is transferring his controlling shares in those companies to other, equally-shady companies.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    And he can still have 50%-1 shares in the companies, which is basically controlling anyways.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie: I'm super ammused at how 2 years into an investigation regarding russian interference and trumps involvement thereof the man is still trying to do buisness with the bear.

It's like...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxG4yd8U3U

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mueller doesn’t have a lot of time to wrap this up before we get the holiday forum

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So with that whole "Trump signed the letter of intent" thing coming out.

A few thoughts.

Trump isn't / wasn't in with the mob. At least not to the effect of being his motivation. All he wanted was to make some money with the Trump Tower in Moscow. Nothing more.

Putin never cared a single bit about Trump or him being President. All he ever wanted was to avoid a President Clinton at ALL costs, because sanctions would never have been lifted under her and he hates her guts.

At worst he'd sow enough dissent to hobble her entire presidency, at best she doesn't become president.

He didn't actively want Trump as president, and might have been getting more than he bargained for with Trump actually winning and being THAT incompetent at being, well, a functioning adult really, let alone president.

What I want out of the Mueller investigation is Trump stripped of every asset he owns and behind bars.

Trump will regret the day he decided to run for president. He never actually wanted to win, all he wanted is to make some money on that Trump Tower Moscow deal and that is it. He would have happily turned his supposedly inevitable loss into Trump TV and sniping from the sidelines, but somehow he won.

If all that was some weird Hollywood comedy, it would be funny, with a poignant end. But its stupid reality and I really hope he doesn't destroy the US completely.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    WaPo
    Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III asked the House Intelligence Committee on Friday for an official transcript of Trump adviser Roger Stone’s testimony, according to people familiar with the request, a sign that prosecutors could be moving to charge him with a crime.

It is the first time Mueller has formally asked the committee to turn over material the panel has gathered in its investigation of Russian interference of the 2016 campaign, according to the people.

The move suggests that the special counsel is moving to finalize his months-long investigation of Stone — a key part of Mueller’s inquiry into whether anyone in President Trump’s orbit coordinated with the Russians.

Stone, who has advised Trump on and off for decades and was in contact with the candidate during the 2016 campaign, has been a focus of the special counsel as Mueller probes whether the Trump campaign had advance knowledge of WikiLeaks’s release of Democratic emails allegedly hacked by Russian operatives.

Securing an official transcript from the committee would be a necessary step before pursuing an indictment that Stone allegedly lied to lawmakers, legal experts said.

The special counsel could use the threat of a false-statement charge to seek cooperation from Stone, as Mueller has done with other Trump advisers, such as former national security adviser Michael Flynn and longtime Trump lawyer Michael Cohen.
    For weeks, the special counsel’s office has had access to an unofficial copy of Stone’s closed-door September 2017 interview, according to people with knowledge of the process. Mueller’s request of the official copy signals the special counsel could now be pursuing an indictment, several legal experts said.

“That suggests prosecutors are getting ready to bring a charge,” said former federal prosecutor Glenn Kirschner. “Prosecutors can’t bring a charge without an original certified copy of the transcript that shows the witness lied.”

So we'll have to see whats up on Friday

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    WaPo
    Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III asked the House Intelligence Committee on Friday for an official transcript of Trump adviser Roger Stone’s testimony, according to people familiar with the request, a sign that prosecutors could be moving to charge him with a crime.

It is the first time Mueller has formally asked the committee to turn over material the panel has gathered in its investigation of Russian interference of the 2016 campaign, according to the people.

The move suggests that the special counsel is moving to finalize his months-long investigation of Stone — a key part of Mueller’s inquiry into whether anyone in President Trump’s orbit coordinated with the Russians.

Stone, who has advised Trump on and off for decades and was in contact with the candidate during the 2016 campaign, has been a focus of the special counsel as Mueller probes whether the Trump campaign had advance knowledge of WikiLeaks’s release of Democratic emails allegedly hacked by Russian operatives.

Securing an official transcript from the committee would be a necessary step before pursuing an indictment that Stone allegedly lied to lawmakers, legal experts said.

The special counsel could use the threat of a false-statement charge to seek cooperation from Stone, as Mueller has done with other Trump advisers, such as former national security adviser Michael Flynn and longtime Trump lawyer Michael Cohen.
    For weeks, the special counsel’s office has had access to an unofficial copy of Stone’s closed-door September 2017 interview, according to people with knowledge of the process. Mueller’s request of the official copy signals the special counsel could now be pursuing an indictment, several legal experts said.

“That suggests prosecutors are getting ready to bring a charge,” said former federal prosecutor Glenn Kirschner. “Prosecutors can’t bring a charge without an original certified copy of the transcript that shows the witness lied.”

Odds on Nunes editing the official transcript?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    WaPo

100%. Like I'll be surprised if he gives it over at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WaPo

I mean, he definitely will, but what does it matter? Can’t the new leadership that takes over in January just give an unedited copy then?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    'Perjury trap! It's totes unfair that the new committee chair gave the unedited transcript to prove I obstructed justice!' - Former congresscritter Nunes

ohpmeaseohpleaseohplease

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    WaPo

I mean, he definitely will, but what does it matter? Can’t the new leadership that takes over in January just give an unedited copy then?

That's what makes this great. Either the GOP themselves have to hand over the transcript, or let Nunes obsfucate and then look even worse when the truth comes out.

Unless I'm critically misunderstanding something.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    WaPo

That's what makes this great. Either the GOP themselves have to hand over the transcript, or let Nunes obsfucate and then look even worse when the truth comes out.

The GOP assumes the democrats will cater to "decorum" of covering their lies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    WaPo

The GOP assumes the democrats will cater to "decorum" of covering their lies.

Schiff is practically drooling over the stuff he's going to be able to do in January, so I wouldn't feel comfortable if I was the GOP.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can’t mueller send Nunes to jail if he sends the wrong transcript?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Can’t mueller send Nunes to jail if he sends the wrong transcript?

I dunno, is lying to the FBI even a crime? brb asking Michael Flynn

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    My expectation is refusing to provide the transcript and bluffing that Mueller won't actually subpoena it or won't try to enforce it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Try for another contempt of Congress song and dance

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I’m sure if Nunes fucks with it, Schiff will be more than happy to point out any inconsistencies from the version he viewed.

That’s not to say Nunes won’t try. He’s colossally stupid.

Gork on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's interesting he's asking now, given the turnover scheduled for two weeks time.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    It's interesting he's asking now, given the turnover scheduled for two weeks time.

I can't help but wonder if they're trying to catch Nunes up to some shit.

He's giving Nunes enough rope to hang himself with.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

They didn't know they couldn't do that.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mueller doesn’t have a lot of time to wrap this up before we get the holiday forum

We'll need a separate holiday forum for the Trump threads.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I seriously doubt that, we can probably do with the break.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I seriously doubt that, we can probably do with the break.

We both know that's not going to be realistic.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.