As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVG Art Thread [NSFW]

DVGDVG No. 1 Honor StudentNether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
edited June 2018 in Artist's Corner
I've been thinking about making a thread for awhile and haven't gotten around to it, but it seems like today is the day.

Anyhow I'm DVG and I'm a software developer. I started drawing 15ish years ago after college with the intention of one day self publishing long-form comic books. Mostly I refused to listen to good advice about drawing from life and assured myself that if I just kept inconsistently trying to draw stylized art on a tablet eventually everything would click and I'd be able to make the stuff I wanted to make.

This was all my best work around summer last year:

Arya v. Brienne

JrBFjel.png

Ginny Weasly

5xD2OwX.png

Terry Branford

w8jJwWu.png

Self Portrait

MxfyJAn.png

Group of adventuring kids for a christmas D&D game

ovmj3r5.png

----

So my company does this thing every year where you can pitch a personal project or passion and a panel of judges (the previous years winners) will award a set of grants (last year, they were $4,000) for you to go do that thing. Winners have including building a yurt, going on a family vacation, building a mobile office in an old RV and funding a roommate's transgender surgery. I pitched my oldest comic idea, along with this piece of concept art:

XKAuDeG.png

Pretty generic, right?

Anyway, I was soundly defeated, but it DID spark something in me. I've been fucking around with this as a hobby for 15 years now. I haven't seen substantial improvement in my work in 5-10 years. I need to shit or get off the pot.

So I started practicing like I should have all along. Using references. Consistently. I even signed up for the city's figure drawing class.

Portrait from Male Model, First Night of Figure Drawing

Pgw0FCf.png

Portrait of Female Model, Second Night of Figure Drawing

S787b2q.png

One of the things that has helped me the most is studying anatomy outside of the time I'm with a model. I've been using Classic Human Anatomy for that. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and here is a bunch of drawings I copied out of the book and made notes of, all of which was focused on the head

LTPZqDJ.png
kea9yFk.png
lOVSwQy.png
TyFnkDk.png
JsCT3us.png
rHM5gxf.png
nE7Nndj.png
ogoyyUR.png
z81dj79.png
dSItCrl.png
PMiBEYX.png
qFLxVTe.png
9gaJUsf.png
Y0A4fPL.png
yAEgYFC.png
xad8m8E.png
3a1pRAz.png
ZwYGCMp.png
YtgT5mX.png
9Mt1Hfn.png
UYRt1d5.png

At this point, I stopped doing the anatomy study to see if it had come to anything and I started spending my free time drawing portraits. I usually get at most 30-60 minutes a given weekday to draw (during lunch at the office when I can find a conference room that's open) and usually can't find the time on the weekends due to kids keeping me busy.

GvpsPAR.png
VSdVNSv.png
rU5yOSr.png

Not wanting to get into a comfortable plateau I started scouring pinterest for references showing more extreme expressions. The results were creepy at first:

KUMg81m.png
b3HDbVa.png
o40tERW.png

But in the last couple weeks a few ones that I feel good about emerged

PKeBhRg.png
isMYWPD.png
ZWym5cM.png
m5I8Yyb.png
zVThAtX.png

Sorry for the huge post. Comments and critique are always welcome and I look forward to continuing down this path.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
DVG on

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Hard to critique as you're already on the right path to getting better. Studying anatomy is a huge undertaking, and you're off to a great start, but obviously there's SO MUCH ELSE to learn. Perspective is another huge area to get into, and in my opinion is the next obvious big step for you in making drawings that seem believable. Stylization is a great way to set your art apart from others, but you gotta learn the "rules" before you can 'break' them (which, obviously, is a lesson you've already learned, since you're already taking steps in the right direction).

Your faces have DRASTICALLY improved as a result of your head studies, so keep it up and you'll keep seeing progress (but don't get too stuck learning just heads! keep branching out!).

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    You are too kind! And I feel like I have a few faces to be proud of now so I think it’s time to break into the torso chapter of the anatomy book for awhile.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Book learning today. Studying torso skeletal anatomy JekXtcF.jpg
    Wp0fVTl.jpg
    3pQs7jt.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    10-minute torso studies. This is gonna be my go to for the next week at least

2cfubvxjij07.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    txjc64e1deg5.jpeg

Tonight’s figure drawing class

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    wzeoweggwf0f.jpeg

2rzoa3rlkmnd.jpeg

l9gvlfyyi1yq.jpeg

f0s2y8qodjwl.jpeg

399zf2gqqzvw.jpeg

6sl3kbb8y21l.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    3p0dgg8163fk.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Remember her?

XKAuDeG.png

I drew her again today. 10 months difference

azg55xp5ft93.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    HUGE difference

• Options
    I spent like 12 hours on the old one. I spent 45 minutes on the new one.

Granted my head deflated a bit today when I couldn’t get my art to cooperate at all, but yesterday? Yesteraay I felt good.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    oetl8zbd5fv6.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Fake ad for a fake social network for prisons from a class at work today

s1qqo9evimau.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options

WIP

sbi5omub0a90.jpeg

Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the smudge tool

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    You should look into the blend brush.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Tell me more!

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Uh, I'm just figuring it out, but it makes the brush tool work more like real painting, where you're pushing and pulling the existing colors around while adding and mixing.

It's the paintbrush with the water drop next to it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    cottonsnailcottonsnail Registered User new member
    Which one do you use, Photoshop or ClipStudio?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Geth detected banned alias
    Reason: kevinatlas

Human beings, viewed as behaving systems, are quite simple.
    cottonsnail

• Options
    rofdmzpdybue.jpeg
    vbc9bgygj9ms.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    2j7zretxd4gu.jpeg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Solid improvements my dude. Keep up the good work (and the studies)!

• Options
    s31710tuwa6r.jpeg

Something happened st figure drawing tonight that hasn’t happened before: the model asked to photograph my sketch because she liked it best. It felt so nice

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Accidentally made an action movie poster at art class tonight

OVeQ7Dq.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    the adventures of girl and her skeleton pal?

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    6lclPEC.jpg

qdwUJC3.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    5oP8EE0.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    QsJPbhR.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I can't tell where the main light source is coming from. Wherever it is (straight above?) it could stand to be a lot more clear and consistent.

The whispy bit is fun, and I can see you've indicates some lighting there. I think ti could be a bit more pronounced.

Hope that helps!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Thanks!!

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    XmE84a8.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    XQuGJjl.jpg

Sabrina Spellman

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    zgIdVU9.jpg

Head came out weirdly proportioned but I’m pretty happy with the rest

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Keep it up! Massive improvements!

• Options
    NYtfGKc.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    HbmBnXH.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    BKhd1Xe.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    MXo1jmA.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    zXgZSwl.jpg

Was coloring with my niece

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    f9Uy66C.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    UQdoPge.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857