As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Everyone know about Gary and His Demons? I feel like it's been out for a bit but maybe not everyone's heard of it. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4APjNzQIk

Kinda got a lot of that dark, absurdist rapid-fire humor that Rick and Morty does really well.

H9f4bVe.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Everyone know about Gary and His Demons? I feel like it's been out for a bit but maybe not everyone's heard of it. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4APjNzQIk

Kinda got a lot of that dark, absurdist rapid-fire humor that Rick and Morty does really well.

There's a touch of Bojack in there too, but they never lean into it in that haunting Bojack way.

Which is nice when you're in the mood for a show like that but not up to having a wound carved out where your soul used to be.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Four and a half years after The Lego Movie was a success, this is happening:

https://youtu.be/K-C1ys02wlU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Wow that's embarrassing to watch

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

well that's how long it takes to make a cheap knock off movie.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is there a considerable fandom for Playmobil that I'm completely unaware of?
    I mean, I know that Lego has a huge fanbase outside of their "target audience", and I count myself among them. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone over the age of 5 pining for Playmobil.

Though, to be honest, I don't think I've heard anyone under the age of 5 pining for Playmobil either.

People in Europe, maybe?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Is there a considerable fandom for Playmobil that I'm completely unaware of?
    I mean, I know that Lego has a huge fanbase outside of their "target audience", and I count myself among them. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone over the age of 5 pining for Playmobil.

Though, to be honest, I don't think I've heard anyone under the age of 5 pining for Playmobil either.

Its a fairly big thing in Europe. Germany especially. Its also the closest thing Lego has to a competitor in the playset market outside of Barbie and Mattel.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

well that's how long it takes to make a cheap knock off movie.

Tell that to the fine filmmakers at The Asylum who released Transmorphers in June 2007

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Playmobil movie is something straight out of SNL or MadTv.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Playmobile sucked as a kid. You *hid* those and said you just never got Legos from your horrible parents.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Playmobile sucked as a kid. You *hid* those and said you just never got Legos from your horrible parents.

Hey! My daughter got Playmobile as a kid. Then she turn 5 and got Legos because I'm not a monster.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    This is pretty cool. A convention panel with Frank Welker and Peter Cullen from 2017. Two hilarious guys, who are good friends, who have helped shape the imagination of kids for generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceF6Ub8frY

There's two post-credit scenes for Into the Spider-Verse, FYI.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    There's two post-credit scenes for Into the Spider-Verse, FYI.
    Who pointed first?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAM3SX7ZVI
    Clip: *vader slaughters rebel soldiers*
    Narrator: In the Star Wars galaxy, every day can be an adventure

and I'm just like... Disney greenlit this? thumbs up.
    I'm amazed they aint putting on kiddy gloves for this.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Hard to put kiddy gloves when you see a hand getting lopped off.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They're just knocked out!

H9f4bVe.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Vader very clearly had his laser sword set to "stun" there.

edited December 2018
    Handkor wrote: »
    Hard to put kiddy gloves when you see a hand getting lopped off.

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

Nightslyr on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So Dan Mintz plays Tina Belcher on Bobs Burgers.

He also voices one of Jake's kids named TV on Adventure Time.

He uses the exact same voice.

So it weirds me out to watch Adventure Time and an episode with TV is in it and everybody refers to that character as "He" and I keep thinking that it should be "She" because they clearly have a girls voice!

Finally completed the final season of Voltron. I liked it a lot, even though the finale episode itself was lackluster. Detailed thoughts:
    Honerva (f.k.a. Haggar) was an interesting villain. Better than Zarkon, and especially Sendak, if not as charismatic as Lotor. Where the others wanted to be one kind of ruler or another, she simply wanted a life that was denied to her, with the irony that the person she is now couldn't possibly fit into that life. Honerva slowly breaking through the Haggar personality and slowly regaining memories while, for whatever reason, not stopping the abuse Zarkon inflicted on Lotor was interesting as it highlighted that she was part of the problem. It was well portrayed, both tragic and off-putting.

Lots of good character moments, and I loved both the tie in to the 80's cartoon and Vehicle Voltron.

That said, I'm disappointed in three things.

First, the dark energy creatures. They're what corrupted Zarkon and Honerva. Honerva infected the remaining Altaens with them, and Allura infects herself with one. They're presented as being a big deal. But, that plot thread never goes anywhere. We don't learn anything more about them, and nothing is done with/about them.

Second, the last second villain redemption arcs. I get that it's a kid's show, but given everything Zarkon and Honerva have done - both big and small - they really don't deserve to be forgiven or redeemed.

Third, Allura's sacrifice. It comes out of left field, has zero explanation, and undermines the point of an earlier episode in the season.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Apparently the 'fandom' surrounding the show is beyond toxic, which is a shame. It's a fun, if imperfect, show that deserves to be watched.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    So Dan Mintz plays Tina Belcher on Bobs Burgers.

He also voices one of Jake's kids named TV on Adventure Time.

He uses the exact same voice.

So it weirds me out to watch Adventure Time and an episode with TV is in it and everybody refers to that character as "He" and I keep thinking that it should be "She" because they clearly have a girls voice!

TV is also basically Tina which doesnt help.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Finally completed the final season of Voltron. I liked it a lot, even though the finale episode itself was lackluster. Detailed thoughts:
    Honerva (f.k.a. Haggar) was an interesting villain. Better than Zarkon, and especially Sendak, if not as charismatic as Lotor. Where the others wanted to be one kind of ruler or another, she simply wanted a life that was denied to her, with the irony that the person she is now couldn't possibly fit into that life. Honerva slowly breaking through the Haggar personality and slowly regaining memories while, for whatever reason, not stopping the abuse Zarkon inflicted on Lotor was interesting as it highlighted that she was part of the problem. It was well portrayed, both tragic and off-putting.

Lots of good character moments, and I loved both the tie in to the 80's cartoon and Vehicle Voltron.

First, the dark energy creatures. They're what corrupted Zarkon and Honerva. Honerva infected the remaining Altaens with them, and Allura infects herself with one. They're presented as being a big deal. But, that plot thread never goes anywhere. We don't learn anything more about them, and nothing is done with/about them.

Second, the last second villain redemption arcs. I get that it's a kid's show, but given everything Zarkon and Honerva have done - both big and small - they really don't deserve to be forgiven or redeemed.

Third, Allura's sacrifice. It comes out of left field, has zero explanation, and undermines the point of an earlier episode in the season.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Apparently the 'fandom' surrounding the show is beyond toxic, which is a shame. It's a fun, if imperfect, show that deserves to be watched.

On Zarkon.
    That's pretty much why Allura grabbed his head and forced him to live through everything "he" did after being consumed by quintessence. But it'd be foolish to not allow the good part of him that existed to not help make things right. Same with Honerva, if it was going to take Honerva and Allura to restore all of those other realities then sure let her help.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Apparently the 'fandom' surrounding the show is beyond toxic, which is a shame.
    Every fandom is toxic.

Hexmage-PA on
    Viskod wrote: »

On Zarkon.
    That's pretty much why Allura grabbed his head and forced him to live through everything "he" did after being consumed by quintessence. But it'd be foolish to not allow the good part of him that existed to not help make things right. Same with Honerva, if it was going to take Honerva and Allura to restore all of those other realities then sure let her help.

For me...
    it's not a matter of whether or not they should help, but rather if they deserve a happy ending. I'm not as annoyed with Zarkon - who, as you say, was forced by Allura to face up to what he had done - as I am with Honerva.

Put another way, these two people spent the last 10,000 years killing, torturing, and enslaving billions to trillions of lifeforms. Did the ending reflect a sense of them facing justice for those crimes? In my eyes, no. So, for me, the ending shot of Honerva in not-heaven with her family exactly the way she wanted was unearned.

edited January 2019
    Guess what premiered a couple days ago, 20years ago.

https://youtu.be/6kPLMZ-kv_I

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    double post, but these guys put in the 3rd part of their unofficial 40k movie, and my god, its good.
    These guys are fucking nailing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-MteECxZUY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGPMJ8A0QY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGRa4_UjE4

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am still not used to a GW that doesn't strangle fan works in the cradle.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    OK, I can get behind this.

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Animated Movie Sets Voice Cast
    "Justice League vs. The Fatal Five finds the fate of the earth hanging in the balance when the Justice League faces a powerful new threat — the Fatal Five! Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman seek answers as the time-traveling trio of Mano, Persuader and Tharok terrorize Metropolis in search of budding Green Lantern, Jessica Cruz. With her unwilling help, they aim to free remaining Fatal Five members Emerald Empress and Validus to carry out their sinister plan. But the Justice League has also discovered an ally from another time in the peculiar Star Boy — brimming with volatile power, could he be the key to thwarting the Fatal Five? An epic battle against ultimate evil awaits!"

Several DC veterans are confirmed among the cast, with Kevin Conroy as Batman, Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman, and George Newbern as Superman. They'll be joined by Diane Guerrero (Doom Patrol) as Jessica Cruz, and Elyes Gabel (Scorpion, Game of Thrones) as Star-Boy. The titular Fatal Five will be played by Peter Jessop (Mass Effect) as Thorak, Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob Square Pants) as Bloodsport, Matthew Yang King (Batman Ninja) as The Persuader, Sumalee Montano (This Is Us) as the Emerald Empress, and Philip Anthony Rodriguez (Grim) as Mano. Additional cast includes Daniela Bobadilla as Miss Martian, Kevin Michael Richardson as Mr. Terrific, Noel Fisher as Brainiac 5 and Tara Strong as Saturn Girl.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Guess what premiered a couple days ago, 20years ago.

https://youtu.be/6kPLMZ-kv_I

Now I need to see an adult swim show about Ed Edd and Eddy as adults.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Well, John Lasseter is back... but not at Pixar.

He's been hired to oversee a new animation division at Skydance, a production company responsible for newer Star Trek movies, Mission Impossible movies and the like.

You really should read the letter the head of Skydance sent to his employees. It's... something.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

He's been hired to oversee a new animation division at Skydance, a production company responsible for newer Star Trek movies, Mission Impossible movies and the like.

You really should read the letter the head of Skydance sent to his employees. It's... something.

So, what's the over/under on when they hire John K.?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I guess if you had to hire one Lasseter is at least a controllable monster with an impressive resume.

Nobody would work for or with John K. even before his outing snd his only notable project is a show he worked on for like 2 percent of it's run

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

I guess if you had to hire one Lasseter is at least a controllable monster with an impressive resume.

Nobody would work for or with John K. even before his outing snd his only notable project is a show he worked on for like 2 percent of it's run

Not to mention the fact he blows deadlines for pretty much all his projects by years at a time.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Man I ain't been in this thread in a hot minute but I dropped in to say Wakfu is a colorful, french delight. It hits that weird Legend of Zelda-esque, whimsical adventure itch with some styling flash animation. Also the background art is wonderful.

Also, apparently the French can get away with some stuff in their cartoons.

Juggernut on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man I ain't been in this thread in a hot minute but I dropped in to say Wakfu is a colorful, french delight. It hits that weird Legend of Zelda-esque, whimsical adventure itch with some styling flash animation. Also the background art is wonderful.

Wakfu is very good yes.

What's the best way to watch that in the US nowadays? I never got around to the second season

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Wakfu is very good yes.

What's the best way to watch that in the US nowadays? I never got around to the second season

Looks like the whole thing is on Netflix. Turns out that OP is still a banger in english.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm trying to watch it in French (with subtitles) cause I was trying to learn at one point. Netflix keeps defaulting back to english each episode tho.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

Wakfu is very good yes.

Looks like the whole thing is on Netflix. Turns out that OP is still a banger in english.

Wakfu is rad

The 3rd season was a Netflix exclusive I think. And it has some great twists.

But yeah watch it with subtitles if you can. The character nicknames make more sense, like the shortening of Sadlygrove. Oh and Ruel's English vo is like a young man trying to sound like a 70yo muppet

This discussion has been closed.