As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, if I was a betting man I would have bet the house on "old owner neglected the bare minimum level of responsibility he had as a consultant and fucked something up."

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    New app sucks bandwith.

Cannot stop patrol to document things like breakins.

Cannot pause app to other tasks like calling boss or the police without loosing crap I've already documented.

In practice, feels like apple maps crossed with the buggiest obsidian product.

Also, the constant uploads to servers mean we cannot change tasks inside parking garages or anywhere with poor sigals

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That sounds... bad.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So this job interview I tried to turn down twice has rolled around

So of course they are running "at least half an hour" late

They aren't doing themselves any favours here

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Updates on the job front.

Stopgap plan approved: full time folks retained "for now," I'm being transferred on paper (and likely in person later in the year), part time folk have until their contracts run out in may and then canceled. In return, we have 0 money for programming ever again.

On the plus side, we got institutional support for me to reach out to the various units and tell them not to rob my funded classes and projects. That money, at least, will remain spent for what it is supposed to be spent for unless a dean wants to fight with the president's office. Which will happen, but hopefully more projects will remain online than not.

Its something we can work with, at least. Now my job is to manage the zugzwang of our collapse until 2021.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh god. The clutter broke in my work outlook and all those emails are leaking into my inbox. Send help!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    RE: Social Media and job hunting

I work for a multinational telco that is completely honest about looking into any public social media you have. If not before an actual interview, then definitely part of a background check as part of a conditional job offer.

I had a chat with someone from HR during work drinks and she was very candid about it.

Long story short, my company as a "insert company name here" ethos and they need to check you're the right fit. The example she gave was, "we do a lot of work with Stonewall, we can't be hiring homophobes".

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    What about the people who elect to not participate in social media?

Like, if you do a search for my name you get very little. No Facebook, no Instagram, no nothing. A few articles about my arrest almost 15 years ago, a couple of pieces mentioning me or picturing me interviewing/MC'ing for a radio event, and that's all.

So do I get pushed to the bottom of the pile because HR rep can't figure me out? This is something I've been wondering about for a bit.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Oh god. The clutter broke in my work outlook and all those emails are leaking into my inbox. Send help!

I turned clutter off after the fourth time an email from my same domain was put in clutter. I think it's default state is broken.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Like, if you do a search for my name you get very little. No Facebook, no Instagram, no nothing. A few articles about my arrest almost 15 years ago, a couple of pieces mentioning me or picturing me interviewing/MC'ing for a radio event, and that's all.

So do I get pushed to the bottom of the pile because HR rep can't figure me out? This is something I've been wondering about for a bit.

Probably. Shitco's HR person would pretty much just huck your resume if you had no social media presence because "you're hiding something".

That company was garbage I can't believe I stayed as long as I did there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have no Facebook, my Twitter isn't linked to my real name, and trying to Google me is going to pull up a billion different people

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Googling me pulls up mostly results on a New Orleans jazz trumpetist, NICE TRY COPPERS

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Probably. Shitco's HR person would pretty much just huck your resume if you had no social media presence because "you're hiding something".

I guess I do have something to hide.

My life, from people whose business it ain't.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I think there would be significant overlap between companies that care about your social media vacuum and companies that would disqualify for the arrest.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Lack of searchable social media or internet presence shouldn't matter at most places. I have an incredibly generic name (most common last name in the US and 3rd most common first name, or something like that) that makes me impossible to look up, and it's never affected me that I'm aware of. I've occasionally heard after getting a job about how difficult it was to try to figure out which firstname lastname was actually me, usually with some laughter about how they eventually gave up.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I guess I do have something to hide.

My life, from people whose business it ain't.

Yeah I'm positive it varies place to place but I've heard more HR is using social media. My sister works for a smaller local college's Career Development office and even did a presentation on this a few months ago. Basically their telling college kids to start paying attention to what they post on Twitter/Facebook in order to help future job prospects

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So this job interview I tried to turn down twice has rolled around

So of course they are running "at least half an hour" late

They aren't doing themselves any favours here

Amazing. That was possibly the worst interview I've ever had.

It involved arguing with a grown man about the meaning of the word transparent

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, had the raise discussion with my boss today. In a nutshell I said if I was going to continue to wear two hats next year and they weren't going to hire someone to manage billing full-time that I want more money. Essentially "if you're saving money by stretching me thin, I want a cut."

It went well and basically we'll revisit it once we find out what staffing gets approved for next year.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think a company would be less concerned about a prospective employee being unfindable than them being easy to find doing something that looks 'bad'. I think they look people up less because they care what you get up to in your free time and more because they want to know if you're putting anything out there that can reflect back on them.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The possibilities are endless on how a shitty company will be shitty. No point in being totally paranoid about all the possibilities. I mean they could ding you because you have no social media. They could ding you because your social media is "too boring." They could find something totally arbitrary that they have a problem with.

I suppose the only two sensible options would be to either have a plain social media presence that offends nobody, or no social media at all.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That sounds... bad.

I'm legitimately at a loss how to report security issues.

#2 in department also put in notice.

So promotion opportunity...after someone pawned the ship's reactor for a plate of avacado toast.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I know Amex has a policy for social media where you can talk about where you work but absolutely cannot talk about things that haven't been announced and can't answer questions for people and have to leave it to the social media dept.

I heard of someone getting fired because they posted on twitter about a celebrity they talked to and posted their name. That person got fired that same day.

They're lucky. In healthcare, that can get you put in jail. (Not a joke - that would be a willful breach of HIPAA, which carries actual jail time.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    First offense is usually a slap on the wrist even if willful thankfully.

You pretty much lose all your accreditations if you're an actual nurse/doctor though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Like we have people saying in this thread "I deleted my Facebook so my Employer can't see I'm left wing" and I think that's pretty awful. I appreciate the dedication we have here to "fuck Nazis" but I don't believe corporate hiring managers are watching out for hard-right Republicans and Tories in case they slip through the net into the company, you know?

Hard disagree, i think if you look at earlier in the conversation we have people advocating for political views to exclude hiring here. I think which party is excluded would just depend on the company. Google and Facebook are known for being very activist in their thinking, and I know of a few larger companies that are very focused on more liberal policies. I personally think, no matter your political views, this issue could affect you.

Edited for speech to text errors.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Most companies don't care if there's no presence as it means you aren't broadcasting bad stuff. That's most of social media investigation - are you publicly aligning yourself with something that's not in the company values? My company is big on inclusion and diversity, for example, so if you're against that they want to filter you out immediately.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm in a starbucks in St. Louis waiting a few hours to take a fucking eye test before flying back home.

What a way to live

• Options
    If companies start hiring based on how cool you are in social media I am fucked

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Boy sure am glad I'm getting reimbursed for these Lyfts though. In total it'll be like $80 just to get from airport -> hotel -> campus -> airport

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

So job thread does anyone notice huge affect how much sleep they get versus how they do at work? I'm trying to figure out why my anxieties been spiking, realize I've been sleeping like crap. Simple Solutions are not always easy ones.

Meijer news I am looking forward to Christmas, the next few days at work are coasting, then back to business next wednesday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am quickly amassing a large amount of snacks and stuff at my desk here.

That's not a complaint, mind. There's just a lot of snacks at my desk!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Wow, I didn't know I had such a low googleability. I tried my name, and didn't see anything associated with me for the few pages I checked. Too bad.. I am not going to ever look for a new job if I can help it, so there's no reason for a low profile.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    So job thread does anyone notice huge affect how much sleep they get versus how they do at work? I'm trying to figure out why my anxieties been spiking, realize I've been sleeping like crap. Simple Solutions are not always easy ones.

Meijer news I am looking forward to Christmas, the next few days at work are coasting, then back to business next wednesday.

Absolutely. We don't get nearly enough sleep and eventually it catches up and I have a day or two of just horrible anxiety. I end up just standing frozen in the shower thinking of ways to justify not going to the office.

I'm also finding I need to better balance the coffee I need to function versus the coffee that will cause me to be a jittery mess who thinks he's going to have a heart attack.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I had forgotten the extent to which working while listening to the Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack makes everything I am doing very dramatic

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    If companies start hiring based on how cool you are in social media I am fucked

Oh man, remember Klout.

God what a bad idea.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Desk snacks are crucial

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Desk snacks are crucial

I finished all my cheez-its yesterday and I am heartbroken.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have a fridge in my office and am the supplier of chocolate to the entire English department.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Right now I have:
    Cheez-its
    Triscuts
    Oatmeal Cream Pies
    Twinkies
    Banana Rolls
    Peanut Butter M&Ms
    Sour Patch kids
    3 kinds of Raman
    Instant Rice cups
    Pepperoni Pizza Combos
    Honey roasted peanuts
    and instant mac n cheese

DESK SNACKS ARE CRUCIAL

• Options
    yo you got the extra toasty cheezits?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I have cheesecake! I mean, I don't normally have cheesecake, but today I do.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.