As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Manafort "Sentenced"

• RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to believe Nunes could or would redact/modify the memo before sending it to Mueller's team? The impression I get is that this isn't new information they're requesting--they've had access to the thing for a while, they're just asking for the equivalent of a notarized copy.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I mean Nunes has been caught multiple times releasing made-up/meta memos.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Mueller doesn’t have a lot of time to wrap this up before we get the holiday forum

We'll need a separate holiday forum for the Trump threads.

The holiday coal subforum.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    If I see a serious politics thread in the holiday forum I will remove it with extreme prejudice

Let it be known *bangs gavel*

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Don't piss off the judge, y'all

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    If I see a serious politics thread in the holiday forum I will remove it with extreme prejudice

Let it be known *bangs gavel*

So instead of the "no open mic in the politics thread" it'll be "only open mic in the politics thread"?

Jesus Christ no, no politics threads will be present

Let's move on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like so many suspicious operators being neck deep in shit for years makes me think Mueller's investigation should be the new norm.

Like, get a new President? Okay the legal terminator department will be released to poke through all your shit, every time, as standard. Purging corruption is like cleaning your bathroom; best done regularly.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Petition to change the thread title to Too Many Crooks

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It takes a lot to make a grift.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ no, no politics threads will be present

Let's move on

Aw, I had a Griftmas title pun all ready to suggest!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    If Mueller is really on his game, I would expect him to request the transcripts from the House now, and then again after the new Congress is sworn in in January, just to see if Nunes decided to edit it- which I wouldn't put past him to do.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I need Nunes out of work and in a cell for any sense of justice to stay alive in my cold, black heart

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    If Mueller is really on his game, I would expect him to request the transcripts from the House now, and then again after the new Congress is sworn in in January, just to see if Nunes decided to edit it- which I wouldn't put past him to do.

I can see Schiff doing this regardless of what Mueller wants.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I can see Schiff doing this regardless of what Mueller wants.

I expect the incoming Congress to be working both in concert with Mueller and also independently for political hatchetry. This is one of those fun times when they can possibly do both at the same time.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The DoJ has determined that Whitaker does not have to recuse himself. Because even though he stated if he was in charge of the investigation he'd sabotage it, that doesn't mean he really meant what he said.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The DoJ has determined that Whitaker does not have to recuse himself. Because even though he stated if he was in charge of the investigation he'd sabotage it, that doesn't mean he really meant what he said.

Is this separate from the two lawsuits against him, one for his being in DoJ at all, and the other about him not superseding Rosenstein?

Is this separate from the two lawsuits against him, one for his being in DoJ at all, and the other about him not superseding Rosenstein?

MSNBC just reported that this is just from the ethics office regarding whether or not he'd have to recuse himself.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

MSNBC just reported that this is just from the ethics office regarding whether or not he'd have to recuse himself.

Didn't a good portion of the ethics office resign because they were basically being ignored 100% of the time?

I know the director did

Xaquin wrote: »

Didn't a good portion of the ethics office resign because they were basically being ignored 100% of the time?

I know the director did

That was the White House ethics office.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

I know the director did

Man, if you though your job was a waste of time...

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It seems like a flaw in the system that the DOJ, to which Trump appoints the leadership, would get to decide whether or not it’s a conflict of another one of his appointees is in charge if an investigation into Donald Trump.

Marathon on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The House Intelligence Committee are releasing Roger Stone’s testimony to Mueller’s team, NBC reports.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    I kind of feel like so many suspicious operators being neck deep in shit for years makes me think Mueller's investigation should be the new norm.

Like, get a new President? Okay the legal terminator department will be released to poke through all your shit, every time, as standard. Purging corruption is like cleaning your bathroom; best done regularly.
    While good in theory, it would effectively be used by the GOP to destroy any/every (D) government that gets elected. Hell, IIRC more than one GOP congressperson has basically implied that this is a strategy they'll actually pursue, because it's been oh-so unfair to investigate Trump like this.

This shit is not good for the country. What would be really nice is if the electorate wouldn't ignore obvious criminality/incompetence because *loud angry noises!*
    Marathon wrote: »
    It seems like a flaw in the system that the DOJ, to which Trump appoints the leadership, would get to decide whether or not it’s a conflict of another one of his appointees is in charge if an investigation into Donald Trump.
    These ethics offices are not composed of political appointees, and are career civil service people. I'm not saying there's NO possibility of a conflict of interest, but they're generally politically agnostic.

Whitaker is not personally involved in any of the things being investigated at this point, so I'm not surprised he doesn't have to recuse himself. Being appointed by Trump isn't enough, as demonstrated by the fact that Rosenstein (a Trump appointee) has been overseeing it since the start.

Senna1 on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I know the director did

oh! lots of ethics offices around for a bunch of politicians lol

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Normally the president isn't engaged in multiple crimes before he has actually won the presidency, so I'd put this up there with "It seems like a flaw in the design of the car that it can't survive getting hit by a meteor the size of a fridge" in terms of flaws in concept.

Going forward I would absolutely support a constitutional ammendment that executive appointees have to recuse themselves from policies that directly effect the person that appointed them though.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mueller related, from LA Times reporter. Series of tweets:
    BREAKING. senior DOJ official: Whitaker has not recused from Mueller probe. After extensive review by senior officials, he did not seek formal ruling from ethics office. BUT a senior doj ethics official said it was a "close call" and he should recuse in an "abundance of caution."

In cases involving an appearance of conflict of interest -- versus a real conflict, like having once represented a defendant -- it is incumbent upon the official to seek an ethics recommendation.

Because this was a "close call," senior appointed DOJ officials recommended to whitaker he not recuse. They noted no AG has ever recused for an "appearance" issue in the past. Whitaker yesterday accepted that recommendation.

DOJ sending letter to Senate explaining Whitaker's decision.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I couldn't find a general Russia thread but this has to touch on Mueller in some capacity, right? With how knee-deep it's in Russia?

The Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) is a key part of safeguarding financial databases and etc and apparently it was most likely compromised by Russians(!!!!!)

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I couldn't find a general Russia thread but this has to touch on Mueller in some capacity, right? With how knee-deep it's in Russia?

The Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) is a key part of safeguarding financial databases and etc and apparently it was most likely compromised by Russians(!!!!!)

That's uh....not just compromised. We, the United States Government, were giving private citizen information to a foreign hostile government.

That's

beyond bad

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That's uh....not just compromised. We, the United States Government, were giving private citizen information to a foreign hostile government.

That's

beyond bad

That is at least espionage right? I know we can't say the T word but Jesus Benedict Arnold.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    From the article, it sounds like FinCEN were the folks raising alarm bells about it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    BREAKING. senior DOJ official: Whitaker has not recused from Mueller probe. After extensive review by senior officials, he did not seek formal ruling from ethics office. BUT a senior doj ethics official said it was a "close call" and he should recuse in an "abundance of caution."

In cases involving an appearance of conflict of interest -- versus a real conflict, like having once represented a defendant -- it is incumbent upon the official to seek an ethics recommendation.

Because this was a "close call," senior appointed DOJ officials recommended to whitaker he not recuse. They noted no AG has ever recused for an "appearance" issue in the past. Whitaker yesterday accepted that recommendation.

Wait, was there a typo and a senior DOJ ethics official said he should or shouldn't recuse himself re:"abundance of caution"?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

So I need to rethink the Deripaska sanctions developments now

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

So I need to rethink the Deripaska sanctions developments now

This was 2 yrs ago to be clear

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Wait, was there a typo and a senior DOJ ethics official said he should or shouldn't recuse himself re:"abundance of caution"?

If I'm reading it right, it sounds like there's nothing glaringly obvious on their first glance to immediately force his recusal, but because it wasn't a "formal" review process, he's not 100% in the clear yet either. Hence they're saying he should still recuse himself to avoid the question entirely.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Senior DOJ officials said shouldn't.

DOJ Ethics officials said "nobody asked us, it would be a close call, but we'd lean yes, recuse."

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Senior DOJ officials said shouldn't.

DOJ Ethics officials said "nobody asked us, it would be a close call, but we'd lean yes, recuse."

So basically, they called Whitaker and asked him if he thought he should recuse himself and he went "lolno"

But then they asked real people and they said "what, yes"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126

Foreign policy thread I guess unless someone wants to start a thread specifically about this

It's not Mueller related

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    yet.

the singularity approaches.

"... like a big ball of... grifty-wifty, crimey-wimey stuff."

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.