As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

movies: at any moment in your life, you, too, could fall into a pit full of snakes...

19495969798100»

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ha just scrolled up and I'll clarify that when i said "it's a serious gripe" what I actually meant to type was "it's not a serious gripe" so that may have escalated things a bit more than I intended.

I blame re-drafting that post a bout 5 times to try and get it right, only to fail miserably.

I will admit I read that the way you posted it and thought "well damn, I didn't realize he was so pissed about this."

Makes more sense and sounds way less dire the way you intended to write it!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's a serious gripe, jees.

Just *THING DOES NOT SOUND THE SAME AND IS BAD* is often loudly espoused by folks that also can't tell the difference between 2 other things.

But sure whatever

I don't think anyone's saying it's not a legit gripe or that they aren't different. But understanding accents is a perceptional thing that's going to vary wildly and telling people repeatedly that they're different isn't going to make them able to perceive that difference any better than yelling at someone to look harder at a magic eye puzzle will make them suddenly able to see the pattern.

That said, y'all immediately piping up in reply someone with the specific experience to perceive and be bothered by that accent with "I don't notice it" is kind of textbook oblivious American self-centeredness and it's kind of hard not to read that as dismissive of a legitimate complaint. I bet if y'all had been empathetic to Snick's issue instead of just loudly proclaiming you don't agree, feelings wouldn't have been hurt. Like that doesn't really add to the conversation and, especially with the deluge of agrees from other 'Muricans, kind of just feels like coming in to crowd the non-American and their experience out of the conversation

My complaint was at "so don't complain about this american accent", not at him saying that the accent was bad, which I don't think anyone ever actually disputed

Ok to be clear, the core of my gripe is that it seems a lot of the time like "Only Americans can complain about accents", Bagel is correct that there is an awful lot of instances where y'all bang on about someone at length (eg Cumberbatch, which is why I picked him) but then a similar instance on the other foot and it's oh lol I can't tell the difference/they're the same, big deal!

It just gets a bit wearing when it happens every time, I'm not like really pissed or anything it's just a gentle observation.

To me this sounds like you're blaming your choice to not say anything on others

Like, when people talking about how Cumberbatch's accent totally sucks, you can come in and say, "Hey I didn't actually notice it"

Much like the Americans here, when you say the same thing about Hemsworth's, can do the same

But don't get get angry at other people for doing that when you opted not to do it yourself

How is more shortsighted insenstivity a solution to the problem?

I don't see saying that you can't tell the difference between two accents as being insensitive - that's an interesting observation to me

I think getting upset with other people might be though

Okay bear in mind that minorities are constantly being shouted down whenever they express anything. As a trans person, whenever I point out something about cisnormative society that affects me, there's a million cis people out there ready and willing to tell me they've never noticed that or it doesn't bother them, which doesn't lead to productive dialogue it just shuts down the conversation by shouting my voice down. Obviously this isn't as serious, but non-Americans are a minority on the forums so whenever we all show up to talk about how, as Americans, whatever they're talking about doesn't affect us, we're not adding value to the conversation, we're just making it exhausting for them to try and engage with us. Practically nobody likes to have their complaint about something answered with "that doesn't bother me" because it just makes it feel like "well, that's your problem, buddy". I just think it's important, if you're a majority--in numbers or in voice--in a community, to keep that status in mind and be aware of when people from outside your perspective are expressing themselves and make room for them.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I can't do any accent.

They all end up sounding like an alien from Star Wars.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I think we should all have a nice cup of tea and a Tim Tam, and agree that movies are good and we like them.

Then we can don those giant inflatable sumo suits and wrestle over different accents and who can and cannot do them.

Movies are good except for the bad ones.

But also some of the bad ones are also very good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ha just scrolled up and I'll clarify that when i said "it's a serious gripe" what I actually meant to type was "it's not a serious gripe" so that may have escalated things a bit more than I intended.

I blame re-drafting that post a bout 5 times to try and get it right, only to fail miserably.

I will admit I read that the way you posted it and thought "well damn, I didn't realize he was so pissed about this."

Makes more sense and sounds way less dire the way you intended to write it!

I've stuck a note in to save later hijinx but I'm chuckling now, I read that thing over a bunch of times as well

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yes but can anyone confirm the whereabouts of the rain in Spain?

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Yes but can anyone confirm the whereabouts of the rain in Spain?

Do we have any Spanish forumers? I feel bad that I'm not sure, but also not everyone talks about where they're from and I can respect that too.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    what the fuck's a movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Satan's dream visions

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    what the fuck's a movie

Ah, you must be a film student

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    what the fuck's a movie

You

• Options
    what the fuck's a movie

i mean

i do have a degree in screenwriting

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    what the fuck's a movie

i mean

i do have a degree in screenwriting

Yeah okay that makes sense

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    As a British Australian who lives in America and has a British accent I am happy to inform everyone that Americans have huge difficulty differentiating between the two accents and it's really not a hill you can die on if you live here. The stock conversation now goes
    "Oh, you're Australian right?"
    "Fucken, sure, I guess"
    "I knew it from the accent!"
    "I mean you're right but you know, not for the right reason"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am also happy to clarify that people saying "haha those accents sound the same to me" is broadly infuriating.

• Options
    i always forget that people may not know i have literally studied film

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I didn't know!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I took a film class once, that means we're the same

Shorty on
  • Options
    you motherfucker

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i always forget that people may not know i have literally studied film

It doesn't really surprise me because you've always been able to talk pretty intelligently on, like, a structural level, about how you feel about movies. Like obviously you don't have to have formally studied film to be well versed in that stuff but it's one of those things where in retrospect it makes sense.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I once wrote the title of a movie down on a piece of paper so I feel I'm right there with the same amount of experience as AJ.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    I wonder if there was any consideration to making Hemsworth do the British accent because he still had it going for Thor in the Avengers movies. I know it's hard to just switch those things around. His 'natural' Australian might even be currently a bit 'ruined' just from doing Thor for so long (and so recently). Pretty sure Gary Oldman talked about literally having to retrain himself to speak in his own accent after doing so many 'American' roles.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I think I watched a movie once, so

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.