As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me validate this Feynman quote

MorranMorran Registered User regular
Isac Newton famously said that “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

During my PHD studies, one of my physics professors told me that nobel prize winner Richard Feynman once paraphrased this quote by claiming that "if I have seen further than others, it is only because everyone else have the point of view of dwarfs". The quote is slightly amusing, and does not seems much out of character from what I have gathered of Feynmans personality. I have been mentioning it from time to time as a funny item from history.

However, I have been later trying to find a source of this quote, but have been unable to do so. Anyone heard of this quote as well, and possibly have a source for it? I'm starting to suspect that my professor just made it up himself (which would, in retrospective, fit his personality as well....)?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Sorry. That quote comes from Murray Gell-Mann, another nobel prize winner.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Ah, great, thanks! Then I got the actual nobel prize winner wrong, but the rest was somewhat accurate!

To be fair to my professor, it is perfectly possible that I forgot part of the conversation and mixed the quote up in my mind afterwards.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Well, like you said, that sounds like something you'd expect out of Feynman (if maybe a bit too self-deprecating)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nah, it actually seems a bit too full of himself to be a Feynman quote.