As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
the old thread it hit 101

the mods they were a-lurkin'

so here's a new and shiny thread

to waste time when you're workin'

3cl1ps3 on

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's a vacation?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Where the pope lives, innit?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

You're thinking of the Vatican.

A vacation is when an apartment complex has empty units available for new tenants.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I got frustrated during the last 5 minutes of my shift and made a series of judgment calls, ultimately giving the person the benefit of the doubt, and while I’m confident it’s me being paranoid, I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have 2 days of class left after a week break. Really I only have to get a portfolio sorted out for my ms office projects I did. So that's a relief.

I'm not super thrilled about hearing from the job developer person and looking for interviews though. I imagine finding decent enough work will be tough.

Still I figure at minimum wage at like 16 to 24 hours a week I'll be pretty far ahead of where I am now. So hopefully that doesn't take super long. I wanna dig myself out of debt a bit. Maybe get a better home setup and or think about getting a degree to do something that'll put me in an even better position.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

A vacation is when an apartment complex has empty units available for new tenants.

no no that's the vas deferens

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Today I had a late lunch with a buddy of mine to discuss us working together on some puzzle-based camps & escape room-themed camps.

Later today he'll send me a reference document with all of his equipment & ideas.

My job? To construct the puzzles themselves & to wrap them up in a mystery narrative.

I am ready.

Nick-Miller-Keaton.gif

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm just so nervous about trying to find some job that'll work for me. And then somehow fitting it into my life and not losing my mind. I do like 10 to 12 hours of class a week and it drives me crazy much less working like 12 to 24 then submitting my pay stubs to social security and medicaid every two weeks and keeping track of everthing and keeping it up.

Also I'm already very bad at budgeting, adding in keeping track of my gross work income on top of my disability and accounting for taxes and stuff is going to be a lot of adjustment for me even though the extra money will probably help dig out of debt a bit. Though I'll have to pay for Medicare premiums (like 150 a month, uhhg) plus Medicaid buy in (maybe?) and probably copays ontop too.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is my last day until the new year.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well, today was a day. Holiday party was the most boring one I've ever attended, since the setup basically ensured the cliques chatted with each other the entire time as someone had the gall to play a Chipmunk Christmas CD for ambiance so I ended up tapping out of the "party" half an hour in. I brought my rocky road fudge to share, but I'm not sure if anyone ever ate it and the rest seemed to have disappeared by the end of the party, plate and all. But fine, less sugar for me to deal with.

Then people came back to the office and I was treated to a front row seat of synchronized dick-sucking about "entitled millennial brats" and how people "back then" worked hard for what they got. So I just literally bit my tongue and was thankful I have tomorrow off because every passing day just further reinforces the idea that I am not part of the department and that I hate the people who work here.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yay I just got a job offer!

However I also had an interview this morning that went really well and I might get an offer from them (which I would accept) but it's not definite.

I don't want to say no to Company #1 since I might not get the second job, but I also don't want to dick them over by saying yes and then ditching them after they have wrapped up their recruitment process. They want a response by the end of the day.

What should I do?

broken image link
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Yay I just got a job offer!

However I also had an interview this morning that went really well and I might get an offer from them (which I would accept) but it's not definite.

I don't want to say no to Company #1 since I might not get the second job, but I also don't want to dick them over by saying yes and then ditching them after they have wrapped up their recruitment process. They want a response by the end of the day.

What should I do?

End of day? Yikes!

Just e-mail them back and say that the offer is tempting but you'll need more than a day to consider it. If you have the hiring manager's e-mail, I'd CC them on it too because sometimes HR personnel are absolute shit and the hiring manager doesn't know that games are afoot.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    From other thread:
    Oh it's all so bad.

Old Owner has been slapping shit together in the shop to build this Frankenstein machine. None of us are happy. No one is confident in what we've built. The men who built it are looking at me saying "This is not good work or design."

We're slapping band-aids on things as best we can, but some things are too far gone. If we did any kind of AAR it would be a lot of sad words.

Tomorrow morning New Owner and I have to measure everything and document it all, in about an hour (so I'm coming in earlier). We have to do this because none of the thing matches the very sparse and poorly done drawings.

@Anon the Felon I can't recall exactly, but the customer specifically asked for old boss design, correct?

You had one of the employees kind of shadow old boss for tips/tricks on things correct? Did that work out?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the client requested Old Owner design, which we thought was a good idea because no one else had ever worked on this project (myself included).

I spent a bunch of time with Old Owner, but a lot of those meetings turned to chit chat because Old Owner regularly didn't have answers or seemingly didn't want to talk work. So a lot of meetings ended with me saying "...So you're going to put that on the drawings right?" Which didn't happen. We received drawings three business days before we thought we had to get them into finish, so we burned really hard and made compromises.

There was no final vision, so we were handcuffed in the changes we could make. There was no drawing of the final steering mechanism, because Old Owner had to make it up in the last 48 hours.

I did manage to make Old Owner work with Metalworker to teach him tooling tricks and stuff since I'm no help when it comes to the actual welding of a thing.

There was a meeting where I pointed to a mark on the drawing and said, "We couldn't make this because you provided three different bolt lengths, but didn't mark on the drawing which one or how much throw we needed." His response was "You could use any of them, it doesn't matter."

About an hour later, Old Owner came to me and said "I need to go to the hardware store and get longer bolts, turns out we need a bit longer." To which I just deadpanned "This has become par for the course. Like I told you before, please just do what needs to get done to ship this. I'll write down everything when it's done, since you wrote down nothing."

He attempted to throw me under the bus, saying I should have reviewed the drawings more. Which was great, because I had told New Owner just the day before, "He's going to say this is all my fault, but I want to show you the dates we were working with..." At which point New Owner fully understood what had happened. When Old Owner said it was my fault, New Owner put up his hand and interrupted with, "I already have a good idea of who is to blame for what. Including myself for not helping Anon more, let's just get through this."

Oh, I almost forgot: We were told the entire project had to deliver on 12/14. Then Old Owner went out of town on the 11th, and returned on the 19th. The 21st was our drop dead date. Yesterday we found out that half the project doesn't have to deliver until 1/7. If I had known any of this, and that the 14th meant nothing (I didn't know about the 21st being available until we were too far in), we would have done totally different things.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Those are vacancies.

Vacation is when a person has nothing interesting to say, no intelligent thoughts to share.

• Options
    Well, I guess at least new boss is being pretty cool? That super sucks, I'm sorry man. :/

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's all just so sad. One of those: I feel like I let my guys down, I let my workplace down, and I let myself down.

One of the strange marvels of today is the random phone call I got. An iron I put in the fire months ago when I desperately wanted out just got a little hotter. I was directed to a CEO for a regional corp who I was told would be waiting for my call in the new year, he's apparently looking for an ops manager for his logistics arm, which is great because that's what I truly love and have a propensity for.

So, we'll see what happens. Another iron I'd set down turned to slag recently, so I'm guarded.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    sarukun wrote: »

Those are vacancies.

Vacation is when a person has nothing interesting to say, no intelligent thoughts to share.

That's vapid.

A vacation is a state of homelessness

Goose! on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Last day today and then I'm off till the 3rd.

Woo

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is my last day at work until January 2nd.

Gonna be nice to take a week away from the office.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Main boss, a week ago "oh we shouldn't worry about finishing X till the new year, nobody will be looking at things before then anyway"

Principal investigator on X, today: "I think we should try and get X submitted before Christmas." (No real reason given, I think his anxiety is just acting up)

Soooo that's my weekend gone, since I refuse to pay an unreasonable amount to access shitty WiFi on the plane and thus lost fourteen productive hours.

Otoh it means I can go completely to ground between Christmas and New year's without guilt, so, swings and roundabouts

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Goose! wrote: »

Those are vacancies.

That's vapid.

That's vagrancy.

A vacation is the difference between multiple sets of measurements.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Those are vacancies.

That's vapid.

No, you're thinking of vertigo.

Vacation is when a position you held but were rebuked for is later upheld by external forces, and the rebuker is shamed.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    We talking about vacations?

8c6174b4cf2c6ae2533c77ace09547ed.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I just finished my last day of work for the year. Yaaaaay. Oh god I need to keep myself busy. Good thing I have a million projects I've been putting off!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm a few days away from my four year anniversary at work. I've only ever hung out with coworkers outside of work like, ok wow once actually, and it was people at the same authority level as myself.

I'm testing letting my guard down a little bit, and am planning a trip up the mountains with a coworker this spring to fish for steelhead. He works for me, but we're the same age and get on alright. I'm excited!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't mean to double post it
    The Lead support leaves tomorrow and has asked for me to replace him even pointing out the two people and the well kind of an idiot store manager that made my life at work hell and I overcame it much to their annoyance
    But says if you don't get it I really would recommend looking to do something else as they don't deserve what you do for them

I am torn about it though as some of the people I oversee don't want me to get it either as they want the whole thing to come crashing down as they have said they are not saying past 2300 anymore or busting their asses anymore

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Those are vacancies.

That's vapid.

Vacation is when a position you held but were rebuked for is later upheld by external forces, and the rebuker is shamed.

Nah, that's vindication. Vacation is when people aren't giving you all the details, but not like they're being cagey, just nonspecific.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I have a half-day today and then a nine day break. I come back Dec 31st and then get New Years Day off. Looking forward to it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    One more 10 hour shift tonight and then I am off until January 10th. I am excited beyond the capacity for rational thought.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One more day and then I get my first break longer than three days off in 16 months.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today is the best day of my year. Winter solstice! From tomorrow we can begin clawing back sunlight from the cold claws of Satan. Yay!

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Today's my last day of work until January 2nd and I am fucking stoked. We're off for a work lunch around 1pm on the company's dime and then we are done for the day. And, I only had to use two vacation days to get all that time off!

So, as you can imagine, this is going to be the longest morning in existence.

• Options
    I have put off too much, and now I'm paying the price. Curse you past me!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Taking classes for work. This one is on the dangers of clowns and shitty music.

NXo9G1v.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Maybe that's why they can't figure out magnets.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Those are vacancies.

That's vapid.

Nah, that's vindication. Vacation is when people aren't giving you all the details, but not like they're being cagey, just nonspecific.

No no no, that's vague.

Vacation is like when you get your flu shot to be protected against a virus strain.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    It's all just so sad. One of those: I feel like I let my guys down, I let my workplace down, and I let myself down.

One of the strange marvels of today is the random phone call I got. An iron I put in the fire months ago when I desperately wanted out just got a little hotter. I was directed to a CEO for a regional corp who I was told would be waiting for my call in the new year, he's apparently looking for an ops manager for his logistics arm, which is great because that's what I truly love and have a propensity for.

So, we'll see what happens. Another iron I'd set down turned to slag recently, so I'm guarded.

Anon has anyone ever told you that you are very good at metaphors?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today is my last day of work...until Monday.

At least on Christmas Eve I only work until noon, my wife has to work a possibly full day

This discussion has been closed.