As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa Twenty Eighteen!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    This is an update for any cross border Santa-ing this year.
    The long and short of it is that international mail is literally being withheld from entering Canada where possible. International mail is expected to delay into the new year at a minimum, projected into March (unknown if this estimate is conservative or generous).
    It's pretty much going to limit your Christmas options to buying from within Canada, and there will likely still be some delay even then. The estimated delivery time on a pair of books I ordered from Chapters was about 2 weeks, so there's your reference. If you already put something in the mail you might want to follow up with Santa and let your Santee know so it can be anticipated and handled accordingly.

Heh, what an ironic thing to come home to after my previous post ...

GiftGet-1_zpsf0a91d66.gif

It's always odd enough when I get home and a parcel has been left at our actual door inside the apartment building. I figured, "Well, there's that nature box order [better half] is waiting on, but it's the wrong box. Maybe it's those books arriving a few days early?" It was indeed my name on the box, though Windsor Ontario was an interesting source. I fed the cat, and in no great rush, cut it open just to make sure it wasn't an unexpected Secret Santa gift. Inside was a ton of bubble wrap with some structure to it.
    So it's definitely a Secret Santa gift

Well, best grab a camera then, huh?
    (Santa, I'm sorry that it was a slow, cold, lazy day here and I didn't really put together a fun unwrapping story to go with my gift this year.*)
    vzjexac0q1sx.jpg

It's not a small box, let me assure you. Upon removing the giant cylinder of bubble wrap from said box, and it majestically shedding said bubble wrap when turned upright, I had a snicker.
    syo33uz3orqb.jpg

And conveniently nestled at the top was a note~
    al0ddff4jn7j.jpg

It appears that my Santa remains shrouded in mystery, but I assure them that this gift is well received. I quite enjoy festive popcorn but never buy it for myself, so thank you for spoiling me. I made mini matcha cheesecakes on the weekend which we're still working through, so for the moment I've happily added your gift under (*standing beside, really) the tree to await later consumption.
    As to your note, here we return to my above asterisk: Knowing that there is more on the way that is - presumably, but not necessarily - stuck in transit, I will do my best to construct a proper unboxing story when the other half arrives. It's entirely up to you if you want to reveal yourself now or later - I am patient and enjoy cat & mouse just fine. ;)
    Best of the season to you either way. <3

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ordering you popcorn that would deliver to Canada was difficult, so I ended up googling up a Canadian vendor for it. Turned out to be a good move!

So is that a totally insane amount of popcorn or a regular-but-large amount? I wasn't certain.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited December 2018
    I think the best reference I can give is that each one of those containers is about the size of a "generic store brand" ice cream container. Around 1.5 liters?
    (I don't know what common brands exist in the US, but it's much larger than Ben & Jerry's which is the only thing I would know is also there :P )

ArcticLancer on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think the best reference I can give is that each one of those containers is about the size of a "generic store brand" ice cream container. Around 1.5 liters?
    (I don't know what common brands exist in the US, but it's much larger than Ben & Jerry's which is the only thing I would know is also there :P )

Regular-but-large, then, which is what I was pretty sure I was getting. Glad to hear it won't go to waste!

Expect the second thing to be more CF-y.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Oh my, what's this? Another ...
    GiftGet-1_zpsf0a91d66.gif

Upon returning home today I opened the mailbox to find an envelope quite effectively stuffed into the box. Not in a way that suggested it required force, but more that the puffier bits were definitely squished. I removed it and inspected the name to find it was indeed addressed to me, and coming from Amazon I immediately had a hunch this was nothing I had ordered myself.

With my usual Christmas fervor I raced upstairs (on our fairly slow elevator) and tore into the package! ... after washing my hands, unpacking groceries and feeding the cat. Hey, sorry I'm an adult. ;p
    dsyt4fendtjg.jpg

I enlisted a nearby band to help with the inspection.
    fc18nmgtn8s9.jpg

With the all clear given, a drumroll underscores the anticipation of the treasure inside ...
    e8jwr79mpxhy.jpg

Yaaaaaaay~ (Good job little beargguys)
    wtk7en8nvztr.jpg

If you had a magnifying glass and some "zoom and enhance" software, you might spot what lurks quietly in the distance ... It seems it too has become curious.
    33nzrbfmuod6.jpg
    But fear not! This is not a duplicate gift or my lack of restraint, but a serendipitous "great minds thinks alike" moment. I actually bought Arboretum for our office secret Santa, but haven't gotten it wrapped yet. I'd like to think this speaks to my appreciation of the quality of your choice. ;)

Thank you again for all this jazzy joy, @Auralynx
    We've still been working through more sweets (I'm actually not loving this as I've actually gained maybe 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks, but anyway ... :P ) so I haven't gotten to your popcorn yet, but I also still very much look forward to it. I hope international shipping wasn't too hard on you. ;)

Not a problem! I thought about sneaking you some kind of warning out of concern that it might be delayed longer, but I'm glad to see it turned up in a mostly-reasonable timeframe.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Got a package this morning, but I am at work. I'm assuming it's from my Santa so I will post an update tonight. Pretty excited.

Update: The popcorn is delicious. Perhaps sampling it the day I had my teeth cleaning was not optimal though. Oh well, YOLO. :D

xasOsmv.gif
    jgi6R7r.jpg

The note that was included:
    A mysterious benefactor bids you happy holidays! I don't know much about current 40k meta, but here's something for your fledgling Orks, I kinda just picked the coolest looking kit of the new batch, hope it's good! Merry Xmas

Thank you @Halos Nach Tariff, this is awesome. Not only that, but borderline spooky! I literally mentioned this model in a post I made on the forums while I was slacking off at work today. Regarding the current 40k meta, Orks just got a fantastic codex, and are getting a ton of new stuff (detachments and rules) in a new campaign book that is coming out very soon, so this is a perfect centerpiece model to lead my SPEEDWAAGH! all over the battered wastes of Vigilus.

The amount of detail on this thing is insane, I can't wait to build and paint it. The weather is going to be crummy here for a while, so I'm probably just going to brush prime it instead of spray it so that I won't have to wait until next week. I have next Saturday off so if all goes well I should be able to run it in a game that day. Thank you again! I will be sure to name an Ork after you.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You're quite welcome, of course, good to hear that it will see some tabletop time, even if I am tempted to grab one myself just for painting.
    Happy holidays!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Ah! I feel so behind!! Hopefully my gift to my Santee will be in the mail early next week!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    xasOsmv.gif
    Found a box on the front porch before going to work today!

THE CONTENTS!
    jegkl5y095w2.jpg

Lovecraft Letter and two Ultimate Masters boosters! The wife and I very much enjoy Love Letter (she carries the miniature version in her purse at all times) but I've never gotten to play this variant before!

r8o0do11370x.jpg

Spoils from the boosters! LOVING that Eldrazi Conscription! EDIT: Whoops, guess I tilted the phone a bit too much when taking this.

Thank you so much, Anonymous Santa!

Green on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got you fam!

7s1jvx28m2z0.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2018
    steps out from behind the curtain

Oh man, so, let me tell you about the time I had this year ...
    Usually for these I like to pick things up locally so I can wrap them, maybe include something personal - do it up real nice, you know? Then the strike happened and as I cannot stand shipping international with couriers (it's expensive and who wants to pay import tax when a Christmas gift arrives?), I suddenly found myself having to reacquaint with the US online presence. That turned into the rabbit chase that was "find something decent that will also be selling Ultimate Masters single boosters AND things other than Magic cards", and by the end of it all, there was a single store that fit the bill, and even then it was only carrying a single other item I would have wanted to get you. Cut to the day Ultimate Masters comes out, and I start loading up the cart during my lunch break, and they had sold out of the obscure thing I had picked out (that I had checked the stock on THE DAY BEFORE.), which leaves me scrambling to find a backup to a backup to a backup plan. :P
    I'm really glad you didn't already have the game as it was a huge shot in the dark. I've also never played this version of Love Letter and opinions were kinda divided on BGG, but it seemed wonderfully overproduced and had the bit of horror theme going on, so ... ta-da.

Anywhooooo, I really hope some of those cards were decent or fun. Buying booster packs that cost as much as I could buy full games for felt dirty, but I couldn't not do it with the list you provided. ;D <3

ArcticLancer on
    Gift(s) are on their way!

Gifts sent!! Should get there by Christmas!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    My santee's gifts were updated to "guaranteed delivery" on December 24th, so barring any disasters they should be arriving at their destination on Monday.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    xasOsmv.gif

A box arrived yesterday - a welcome sight in the wake of a ten hour workday. Inside was the following note!

HT55USK.jpg

What an exciting list, and the goods that followed!

HT56eUw.jpg

Many thanks, mystery santa!

Nullzone on
    @Nullzone Pictures aren't working?

edited December 2018
    Nullzone wrote: »
    xasOsmv.gif

A box arrived yesterday - a welcome sight in the wake of a ten hour workday. Inside was the following note!

_eAr4ItOQVB5vQSqLgGivp_AD-BCSsmI4MM0ij98IjhjFFkIqaDr2rNYhUwCjVfVaqXf7ULr5-rFjgSk2sG0rkVzpFRXsZDBCcD5KcCw2YGkeAIKk6G7hFpkY3xTIy6zsTYx3pMFhdhBTd9RPcN0_OJvebucQCWfX4AomgYOx81J1evWtzf9HkKJiH2KzMYU5_4LLT-nUSrGL8iPnT4tRr4_Kj-sHmkQxkfR4XHKvsYmhY9taffjE-wsmVKxyDUfSMs9IrEJGNNX5uhVs12zfLXfdB7bXIftrDp6gG2zluWMj1Q_sDmzZwnVidfZmNhYVWxnhEvq0TOTYdGzEis5Dh6FJktcGf5H8-gfnOYySpsUuZiJ-6I6V-VGTYQPdX9XBS_hGVxmjy50tbSN_rNe8_ME94p_C5sGTHCSX9EyDPvAsdJZydj28vfDNBuCR1JR6mhEJSMoBUyEWrkpnOo2Sc1zY7P9VfKd3kIDxiRGl83BB7rmRSUlRFhEbgh2nZKqkLgkI6yCm5S2B1oPZfw0QR4UgCiOE3tHBtLZIRSioL7bxr3TK8jVcnCWy_j7ENI6JnW6BmjGV9b0R6j2UrRuPkKVf8pyBtoybrKSOOQ93DG5vf-X7B6kRBJPPmOlJD4qNmxnefSS-mbTzLMrYjDD8k3G=w960-h1280-no

What an exciting list, and the goods that followed!

3-8Zvf4QYr1mO3bB3kIkVPFnBxgsk8pU6x6Bv55tstbq59D-8_kjTr884zZRZSX7_8jEQX0zKhWv4KtwnHhK3ueQZJRwKyMizmbuazjHtDBlpzleQ_4q6ZWbZCqh15cyyvB_7YlOem6P3PD68QO2_piXwLp86Bvch2ofK95NdHnvpSwJSqJ83l1HCSf_uJOqXVrRQLUuEFBW3dx6jcGjrWvVgBq4qOBLrkJI9s83twOX6Wq0fwCfLx9bdNa2qTjzjHqUxShQPO9Y7icgBDlFkSLvDOePv8eSBnEVOOAJcBummL_lsJ0jkYnNq2ytZ78mfcjlBKhZdbC8XyL_cy5JZVxMbp9lRF111BfXNJt0J9Cjo9zOhmxL-W7-JhhzAwlSeAARdlv_PQ7ka6gKIE2sRrGOI9bObmh7L66NZ8MGVbR8C5GumIu-T2OBVQcuoO7prNBkH2yS1DJV3vM_NmlhHFkx2rZT2V-lCsjNyUg5saMrrI1qanIJ6xNV9OQ9c5UQsKJru9uhru4TJLWhVOmi-tkNzaILcGB-UD1_wAVd5nQ97NY8nil5BwBKCVkKtO5iutR272pHpsq2pnOaagtOOe05wqiJUhmjccEtgjQuHfF3ReJHXysuZbSZ8cXMw6MOExOmA1XZo8-Tlqamm3mDOMO2=w1707-h1280-no

Many thanks, mystery santa!

I am glad you got everything! I know you said you wanted painted figures, so I handpainted some to put a little personal touch haha. Glad you enjoy it!!

MamaWolf on
    Green wrote: »

Fixed...?

Nullzone wrote: »
    Green wrote: »

Fixed...?

In case it wasn't obvious I'm your mystery Santa haha. I'm glad everything got there ok!! Hope you have a happy holiday!!

I got a package this morning!!!
    9DxtKmH.gif

9295zc2qav3c.jpg

Magic packs for me to enjoy!! I was just talking to my husband about wanting some packs to open!!

A wonderful note for me!!
    d8u8o6hiypzl.jpg

Thank you @SmokeStacks for your thoughtful gift on this Christmas Eve morning!!

There should be one more package arriving today.

Oh good, we finally got flagged as a Christmas thread. :P
    Happy holidays, everyone~

I'm not sure if my Secret Santa has hit me yet. No rush, just wondering if I missed a post or something.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    There should be one more package arriving today.

Yes I received that one after I got home and am just now able to post about it!

m7f6g4vexi47.jpg

hpsmuhjvrhde.jpg
    zo6k9nlhf2x7.jpg

I love it!!! I needed a bag so badly!! I am out of town today, but wheb I get home, I will take pictures with my decks inside!!

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I just had to so suffer my first day of work after a couple of weeks off, booo!
    But when I got home there was a mystery package waiting in my porch, yaaay!

Here it is being inspected by the local authorities, who are hard to pin down on film on account of their secretive, bureaucratic wiles.
    scjte11ktl6c.jpg

And what is inside this fabulous parcel, you might ask? Well...
    azxicafqqqe1.jpg

I hefty tome for Dungeons and Dragons, amusingly enough I bought the exact same thing for my brother this Xmas and was contemplating just keeping it for myself, so this is a good pull, Santa!
    And also a game of wits and deception, not being a particularly wit-ful sort myself I suspect I may find myself murdered in Hong Kong with some frequency once I crack this open on the gaming table.
    Plus of course a sterling box fort for the cats.

Thank you very much, Santa, excellent festive work as always!

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    9DxtKmH.gif

A nice little pile of packages was left on my doorstep today. One of them was my fiance's boots, but the other two were some amazing paint sets!

qoayzp4y6vqd.jpg

I can't wait to crack these open and get my brushes out! I have a bunch of stuff I want to paint but I haven't been very motivated because all I had were cheap acrylics from Michaels. Thank you @webguy20 , these are perfect! Oh and I'm happy to report that the book is great too. You were spot on with your description and I've really been enjoying it so far :)

9DxtKmH.gif

I checked the front porch today and discovered a box awaiting me! I quickly brought it in and called the wife over to inspect the contents with me.

5g8jmy4cqtz6.jpg
    Side note: I greatly appreciate the "Attn: CF Santa: note on the address. I'm in so many of these things, it's nice to get them sorted out.

First up, we have a mystery note....

1yio4j6diviq.jpg

Hmmm....interesting. Not sure why anyone throws cigars into their yard though. I'd say it was a southern thing, but I lived in the south and never heard of this tradition. :)

Regardless, the first gift...

la7jlhvhxgtr.jpg

Awesome! Even though I constantly butchered the name, the game looks great. Something perfectly suited to my wife's mindset of looking at pretty forests and nature stuff. I'm sure we'll have a blast playing it. Looks like @ArcticLancer and I are forest bros!

Next gift....

gfmgx7cil4ac.jpg

Hive! Cool! We got to play this once at our LFGS before it shut down. Was a neat little tactics game, and this version includes two new bugs. Can't wait to see what the buzz is about in this new version.

And finally....

e5tyyuxc9i8d.jpg

We totally thought this was a real cigar at first and was quite confused. Then we took a closer look and laughed. A big ole dark chocolate candy cigar is a great substitute for the real thing. I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate, but the wife is, so more for her.

Extra special thanks to my secret santa @Kirindal for the great gifts. Here's wishing you, and everyone else here, a happy New Year!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover, I'm glad the gifts got to you safe and sound.

un2wtF7.gif

On that note, I've been a bad, bad Santee and I didn't open my gift box in anything resembling a timely manner, but here's what delights Santa got for me!
    VqWSFXC.jpg

A copy of Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History, Azul, and a red tin filled with delicious brown butter bourbon cookies! I've been eyeing the Art & Arcana book at my LFGS since it came out and I can't wait to dig into Azul! I haven't had any of the bourbon cookies yet, but they smell so delicious and I'm definitely going to be trying out the recipe you've attached to them.

Thank you very much @Nullzone! These are some very awesome gifts! Happy New Year and holidays to everyone here at the forums!

@Halos Nach Tariff I'm glad it showed up in a timely manner! I was worried that it wouldn't reach you before the year was out.

@Kirindal You didn't just get those on the 31st, right? I sent them much earlier D:

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Our first chain is complete! And we're very nearly fully-gifted it looks like! (Someone check my math)

@Halos Nach Tariff > @SmokeStacks > @MamaWolf > @Nullzone > @Kirindal > @MNC Dover > @Auralynx > @ArcticLancer > @Green > @Halos Nach Tariff
    ??? > @It Burns > @ArcSyn > ???
    ??? > @webguy20 > @Denada > @ElderCat > @crimsoncoyote > ???

crimsoncoyote on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    @ArcSyn is mine. I've just had a hell of a couple weeks between the US postal service and my shitty internet. I'll post pics tonight though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    And with that, we can complete the chains!

@Halos Nach Tariff > @SmokeStacks > @MamaWolf > @Nullzone > @Kirindal > @MNC Dover > @Auralynx > @ArcticLancer > @Green > @Halos Nach Tariff
    @It Burns > @ArcSyn > @webguy20 > @Denada > @ElderCat > @crimsoncoyote > @It Burns

I've had a hell of a time getting gifts to @It Burns, but a little birdy told me it finally arrived Friday. Just awaiting pics ;-)

I had a lot of fun, thank you all. I'm looking forward to next year.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Another great year and quick too!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I'll definitely see you all later this year. ;)
    Thanks again to the powers that be for putting this together.